Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos most overrated team in AFC, Brady underrated

Wow...our local paper in Florida listed the most over/underrated players and teams in the NFL. It listed Denver as the most overrated team in the AFC. The best I have heard about Denver is one of the better teams in the second tier of the AFC...I have a very hard time thinking we are that overrated.

The most mind blowing part of the article was Brady was the third most "Under the radar" player in the AFC. How in the hecl do they figure????

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/...andy_0830.html

AFC

Overrated players

Larry Johnson, Chiefs RB: He's great, but he had 416 carries last season. Not a single player who led the league in carries the past six seasons came remotely close to an encore the next season.

Willis McGahee, Ravens RB: He's good, but two No. 3s and a No. 7 for a back coming off his worst year?

Jamal Lewis, Browns RB: He has never been the same after his 2,066-yard season four years ago. Averaged a Reuben Droughns-like 3.6 yards last year.

Overrated TEAMs

Broncos: Come back in another year or two, Jay Cutler, and bring some offensive and defensive linemen with you.

Colts: LB Cato June, RB Dominic Rhodes, OT Tarik Glenn, CB Nick Harper are out of the picture for various reasons. Try that 18-point comeback against the Patriots now.

Bengals: Offense is key. As in, first offense, second offense, third offense. This team wears stripes for good reason.

UNDER-THE-RADAR players

Morlon Greenwood, Texans LB: Who? Greenwood had 83 tackles last year, which is about 82 more than he had in four astoundingly forgettable seasons in Miami.

Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars RB: He just missed 1,000 yards last year and averaged 5.7 per carry and 27.7 per kickoff return.

Tom Brady, Patriots QB: Hear us out on this. For all his greatness, Brady has topped 4,000 yards only once and never has thrown 30 TDs in a season. But, but: Finally, Mr. Armani will be throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte' Stallworth rather than Kmart rejects.

UNDER-THE-RADAR TEAMS

Steelers: A reminder seems necessary that this team won a Super Bowl 11/2 years ago. Package a whole QB Ben Roethlisberger with a breakout year from WR Santonio Holmes and the Steelers start to look more like the Steelers.

Browns: QB Brady Quinn has a terrific season, sending Wall Street into a frenzy over the newest sensation: Miami sports-talk radio stations.

Titans: No, we don't really think they're going anywhere, but if you need proof that we're ridiculously desperate to pick somebody in the lopsided AFC, see Choice No. 2.

NFC

Overrated Players

Overrated players

Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks QB: His passer rating in '07 was worse than David Garrard, David Carr and David Beckham. Hasselbeck won't get off the hook unless he marries Posh Spice.

Cadillac Williams, Bucs RB: From Ronnie Brown school (literally, Auburn). It's time to put up.

Randy McMichael, Rams TE: He has nice talent, but his dropped passes will aggravate even mild-mannered St. Louis fans.

Overrated TEAMs

Seahawks: No reason to think they won't continue the post-Super Bowl slide they were on last year.

Lions: Exactly how and when did the Lions become the trendy Cinderella pick? Yes, they have receivers. So wake us when it's time for the Olympic 100-meter final, when Matt Millen is gone, or when Millen qualifies for the Olympic 100-meter final.

Bears: QB Rex Grossman is still around. RB Thomas Jones is not. At playoff time, Chicago might wish it's vice-versa.

UNDER-THE-RADAR players

Jerious Norwood, Falcons RB: The Brandon High grad averaged 6.4 yards as a rookie last year on 99 attempts. He can catch, return kicks and never fumbles. At least he hasn't yet.

Bryant Johnson, Cardinals WR: He's often lost behind Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, but he averaged 18.5 yards per catch last season. If he eliminates the drops, it's a devil's triangle for Cards' opponents.

Brian Westbrook, Eagles RB: 1,217 yards rushing. 699 receiving. 11 total TDs. 5.1 yards per carry. Why doesn't his name come up more when talking about elite RBs?

UNDER-THE-RADAR TEAMS

Cowboys: Drop it on Tony Romo already. The guy started out 5-1 and will prove there truly is life after The Tuna.

49ers: QB Alex Smith breaks out, and combined with former UM star Frank Gore, San Francisco starts talking playoffs.

Cardinals: Somebody wake up Conrad Dobler and Jim Hart and tell 'em their old franchise has been resurrected.Put a jersey on!: The list of top-selling jerseys this summer includes obvious names (LaDainian Tomlinson, No. 1) but also some go-figures (JaMarcus Russell, No. 8 and Brady Quinn, No. 12). Strangest of all, no Dolphin makes the top 25. Not even RB Jesse Chatman.

Daily doubles: The Colts won the Vince Lombardi Trophy last season - or did they? Ed Wawrynek, vice president of Tiffany & Co., says the trophy is sometimes damaged during celebrations. "We always have an extra in case a catastrophe occurs, but so far nothing major has ever happened," he said. Duplicate Lombardis? Makes you wonder how many Tiffany sales reps have fabulous conversation pieces on their mantels, eh?

It's a fake, not play-action: The Colts' Super Bowl rings have a synthetic blue sapphire horseshoe - and 50 diamonds. Must be what owner Jim Irsay refers to when he says the goal was "beautiful simplicity."

Quote Originally Posted by hemster2 View Post
    Wow...our local paper in Florida listed the most over/underrated players and teams in the NFL. It listed Denver as the most overrated team in the AFC. The best I have heard about Denver is one of the better teams in the second tier of the AFC...I have a very hard time thinking we are that overrated.

The most mind blowing part of the article was Brady was the third most "Under the radar" player in the AFC. How in the hecl do they figure????
    Sounds right to me.

Thumbs down

This writer really needs to do more research. Not only is he off on us being the most overrated team in the AFC. I don't think we are really looked at as a favorite. Everyone I've read or heard has us second behind SD in our own division.

OBVIOUSLY, I have a problem with them saying Tom Brady is under rated. I don't see how anyone can actually print that considering the media has been comparing him to Joe Montana for the past 2 or 3 years. Plus he's on the front page to espn.com more than any other athlete that isn't named vick or pacman.

Another problem I have with this article is them saying the Seahawks are overrated. The were the NFC West favorite and winners last season. This year people are already saying the Niners may be a dark horse and take that spot from them. The media has already acknowledged that SEA has lost some weapons and won't be as powerful. Explain how that is overrated.

Oh and how is Jones-Drew considered overrated? He came in and had a great rookie season. Why hate on him. I do think he will be hard pressed to repeat that feat this year but why does that make him overrated? Don't punish him because he did a good job.

This guy was way off on alot of his statements and has no place writing about the NFL. Maybe he's a guest reporter from a high school paper or something.
    Last edited by Hoss; 08-30-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: typo...my bad

Daily doubles: The Colts won the Vince Lombardi Trophy last season - or did they? Ed Wawrynek, vice president of Tiffany & Co., says the trophy is sometimes damaged during celebrations. "We always have an extra in case a catastrophe occurs, but so far nothing major has ever happened," he said. Duplicate Lombardis? Makes you wonder how many Tiffany sales reps have fabulous conversation pieces on their mantels, eh?

The NHL has something like 6 Stanley Cups for similar reasons. He should have referenced that since he ended the segment with "eh?." You would think he's canadian or something. Maybe that explains his lack of NFL intelligance.
    Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 08-30-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Tom Brady is way under-rated. The guy never gets any credit and hardly has any endorsement deals. I never see his face on TV or on the Cover of GQ. I cant wait till this guy finally gets some notoriety

The writer makes some good points, but he makes some ridiculous statements as well.

Since when has Tom Brady ever been under the radar? When talking about the best QBs in the NFL, Peyton and Brady are always the consensus #1 and #2 QBs in the NFL. Under the radar? That's like saying LJ is under the radar.

And why is it that every season, it's customary to pick the 49ers as the team that will have a break out year? Just for that, I'll pick the 49ers to slide down from last year to 5-11. So there.

WINS: @Buffalo, Oakland, Jacksonville, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, @Detroit, Tennessee, @Chicago, @Oakland, Kansas City, @Houston, Minnesota

LOSSES: @Indianapolis, @Kansas City, @San Diego

2007-08 Forecast: 13-3

I certainly hope the article is wrong about us but I can't say as seen much this preseason to refute the prediction. I know the flames are going to begin, that this is only preseason, blah, blah, blah, but I honestly have seen no spark that would indicate to me that our team has much hope. Jay still needs to gel, and they just don't look like a team yet.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    This writer really needs to do more research. Not only is he off on us being the most overrated team in the AFC. I don't think we are really looked at as a favorite. Everyone I've read or heard has us second behind SD in our own division.

OBVIOUSLY, I have a problem with them saying Tom Brady is under rated. I don't see how anyone can actually print that considering the media has been comparing him to Joe Montana for the past 2 or 3 years. Plus he's on the front page to espn.com more than any other athlete that isn't named vick or pacman.

Another problem I have with this article is them saying the Seahawks are overrated. The were the NFC West favorite and winners last season. This year people are already saying the Niners may be a dark horse and take that spot from them. The media has already acknowledged that SEA has lost some weapons and won't be as powerful. Explain how that is overrated.

Oh and how is Jones-Drew considered overrated? He came in and had a great rookie season. Why hate on him. I do think he will be hard pressed to repeat that feat this year but why does that make him overrated? Don't punish him because he did a good job.

This guy was way off on alot of his statements and has no place writing about the NFL. Maybe he's a guest reporter from a high school paper or something.
    This guy is from the south where doing research means reading the contents of a stick of butter.

AFC

Overrated players

Larry Johnson, Chiefs RB: He's great, but he had 416 carries last season. Not a single player who led the league in carries the past six seasons came remotely close to an encore the next season.
    I am going to infer that seven seasons ago the league leader in carries had an encore performance. So if this happens once every seven years, it could happen now for LJ, right? How about over the past thirty years? This writer is a joke.

Willis McGahee, Ravens RB: He's good, but two No. 3s and a No. 7 for a back coming off his worst year?
    I thought this was an attack on over-rated players, not front office decisions. "He's [not over-rated], but boy the Ravens gave up a lot to get him"

So far you're 0 for 2, bubba.

Jamal Lewis, Browns RB: He has never been the same after his 2,066-yard season four years ago. Averaged a Reuben Droughns-like 3.6 yards last year.
    Don't you have to be rated above your peers before you can be over-rated? I don't think you can call Jamal Lewis over-rated since he's already considered a washed up RB.

Overrated TEAMs

Broncos: Come back in another year or two, Jay Cutler, and bring some offensive and defensive linemen with you.
    Good bulletin board material.

Colts: LB Cato June, RB Dominic Rhodes, OT Tarik Glenn, CB Nick Harper are out of the picture for various reasons. Try that 18-point comeback against the Patriots now.

Bengals: Offense is key. As in, first offense, second offense, third offense. This team wears stripes for good reason.
    How weak, hackneyed, and banal can this guy get? <moronic, nasally voice> "Hey guys, I gots a funny! Have you heard of the Bengals? Yeah, they're a bunch of stupid-heads that get arrested!" <obnoxious, honking laugh>
    UNDER-THE-RADAR players

Tom Brady, Patriots QB: Hear us out on this. For all his greatness, Brady has topped 4,000 yards only once and never has thrown 30 TDs in a season. But, but: Finally, Mr. Armani will be throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte' Stallworth rather than Kmart rejects.
    I heard "you guys" out (apparently there is another writer, and they are taking turns with either paragraphs, sentences, words, or letters. Either that, or it could be a reference to the mulitple personalities of the writer). I'm still waiting for the explanation.

This guy is batting worse than Richie Sexson.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 08-30-2007 at 08:31 AM.

I find it funny that the Broncos are overrated and the Titans are underrated. I can't wait for Vince Young to fall on his arse this year. I'm so sick hearing about Vince Vince Vince. Give me a break. That guy literally gets too much media hype.

I don't completely disagree with the 49ers being underrated, but the only thing this guy got completely right is the Cardinals. But who can blame people for underrating the Cardinals, they've finished in the basement for decades.

Considering where Denver was scouted before preseason, and considering how they've played during preseason, I would agree that we are the most overated team at this point, and will continue to think so until they play well during the regular season.

how can anyone say we are anyone else is overrated. there has even been one real game played yet! give it a few weeks into the real season. I seriously think most sports writers get paid for doing absolutely nothing.

sports knowledge isn't required in order to get a job writing about sports these days
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity

The Broncos are not overrated; pre-season is just that, pre-season. Oooh, we had a bad game against a Dallas D that blitzed the whole game while we called simple plays and didn't adjust our blocking scheme. We haven't blitzed all pre-season or really called any aggressive plays on defense so why would we think that we can't get penetration. Pre-season is for working on team unison and assignment details in coverage and on offense. These are tweaks that come from both protection schemes and defensive adjustments, especially with a new philosophy on defense.

We never show much in pre-season, why? We will come out swinging in week 1 and then we won't be overrated, we will be underrated.