Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hixon Returns need some work - Q. Morgan??

Our special teams had a lackluster performance today. Specifically, the kickoff returns were barely adaquate with Hixon doing the work. However, our 4 punt returns were just flat painful to watch. I just dont think that Hixon has the forward acceleration, determination or the field awareness that Quincy Morgan had, and frankly, I am still very dissapointed that he got cut. His value as a WR is minimal, granted....but just as Leach's value at TE is negligable, his role as Long Snapper is paramount, as he just proved today. The same goes for a punt or kickoff returner, they (and the rest of the special teams unit) make all the difference starting off on the 20 or the 40.

Bring back Morgan for at least the kickoff returns....cut Alexander!
    ...Scheffler and Graham at TE are more than adaquate.

Agreed, let someone else try next week. Hixon ran right into the waiting arms of opposing tacklers EVERY TIME!

Leave Hixon alone and let him gain a little confidence. I have seen him several times bounce of tacklers and gain an extra 5-10 yards on kick returns.

In this game he was involved in the hit that had Buffalo's Everett taken off in an ambulance. He also was hit hard on a fair catch. Both things I think had him a bit rattled.

Bottom line is Hixon has not but the ball on the ground and will only get better at the job as the year goes on. You can not simulate game conditions in practice (especially in returns as there would be too many injuries).

There is going to be a huge need for the fans to show patience with some of our boys as they are learning on the fly and mistakes will be made.

I really hope we can keep the threads calling for a players job down to a minimum...what is this the third player hating thread we have had so far? HELL, WE WON THE GAME!

I was a bit surprised that Morgan got cut, especially since Hixon and Clark are so unproven as returners. I honestly think Brian Clark can cause some havoc returning kicks/punts, but he scares me when he's about to field the kick. Give Hixon another few weeks, and see what happens. ST has always been a wreck for us the last couple of years, and that HAS to change. My god...can't we get anyone to fix that??
    Last edited by LordTrychon; 09-10-2007 at 10:34 AM.

People forget this was Hixon's first game as a pro. He's had a year in the system but he's still raw. We also had the misfortune of opening against the best special teams unit in the country next to Chicago.

They may get some help, but I think after a few games Hixon may settle down a bit and end up being a good return guy.
    KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

I think Hixon should get some more opportunities to show what he can do, but I would not be opposed to Quincy coming back. I liked that guy a lot.

Hixson is Horrible!!! If they are gonna keep Mike Bell at Fullback then let him return the punts and Kicks, at least he will hit the hole hard and run balls to the wall and not look like he will fumble every second..

Mike Bell = Super Stud compared to Hixson !!!!
    Last edited by LordTrychon; 09-10-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/uofm626/americanbronco8fl4vk.jpg[/IMG]

you guys are unbelievable. . . in his first-ever pro game, hixon averaged a very respectable 24 yards on kick returns, the same as morgan averaged for us last year-- and hixon has lots of upside, unlike morgan. . .

as far as punt returns. . . devin hester couldn't have done squat with the blocking hixon got. . . in fact, i was very encouraged to see him break multiple tackles-- making the first guy miss is crucial to returners, and hixon showed a real knack for it. . . is it his fault there were three guys right behind that first tackler? the guy had to scrap for every yard, i can't see where you get "he has no determination". . .

it's true that he may not have the lateral explosiveness of the league's elite returners-- he's more of a long strider who takes a bit of time to reach his second gear-- but he has plenty of straight-line speed, and will be dangerous if we can ever manufacture some creases for him. . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Wow cut the guy some slack, this is a guy playing in his first regular season game, he didnt muff any punts or kicks which is better than some experienced kick returners could say. Also special teams is not a one man show, if you look at his punt returns, they were great kicks by Brian Moorman which had good air and so he was surrounded by the coverage team before he could do much. I think the special teams coach will maybe look to change things up a little with the blocking in front of Hixon as well because it left a lot to be desired as he rarely had any good creases to run through.
    [SIZE="4"]Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK[/SIZE]
    [URL="http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk"]http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk[/URL]

I adopt [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Erica Weston[/COLOR]

This was his first game, returning kick and punts give him a break, we were also mising alot of people on ST's which didn't help, people here are to impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdom View Post
    I think the special teams coach will maybe look to change things up a little with the blocking in front of Hixon as well because it left a lot to be desired as he rarely had any good creases to run through.
    Yeah, he might actually have some of the return team dropping to their spots and then blocking someone once they get there. The blocking was bump and release to nonexistant.

I am a Quincy Morgan fan but Hixon had no help out their at all. It is unfair to look at Hixon as the cause of the poor return yardage though he did look like he was out there all by himself.
    RIP Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    you guys are unbelievable. . . in his first-ever pro game, hixon averaged a very respectable 24 yards on kick returns, the same as morgan averaged for us last year-- and hixon has lots of upside, unlike morgan. . .

as far as punt returns. . . devin hester couldn't have done squat with the blocking hixon got. . . in fact, i was very encouraged to see him break multiple tackles-- making the first guy miss is crucial to returners, and hixon showed a real knack for it. . . is it his fault there were three guys right behind that first tackler? the guy had to scrap for every yard, i can't see where you get "he has no determination". . .

it's true that he may not have the lateral explosiveness of the league's elite returners-- he's more of a long strider who takes a bit of time to reach his second gear-- but he has plenty of straight-line speed, and will be dangerous if we can ever manufacture some creases for him. . .
    you took the words right off of my fingers . . . good post AGAIN!!!

also, when the heck was he fumbling every second too

Kick/punt returner needs some balls and a little confidence, give him longer than one game,

I however agree with dogfish that the blocking was horrible, he had guys swarming him right when he caught te ball and for that i thnk he looked good out there
    -------

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Cudos - I couldn't agree more

Hixon's side to side running hurt us. Parrish of the Bills just ran straight down field. We need that kind of runner.

Quote Originally Posted by evolaerok View Post
    Hixon's side to side running hurt us. Parrish of the Bills just ran straight down field. We need that kind of runner.
    parrish also had a hole you could drive a truck though..right up the middle

show me where hixon was afforded the same