Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Wasted draft picks haunting Shanahan and the Broncos!!!!

Let's see....

~ Marcus Nash

~ Willie Middlebrooks

~ Ashley Lelie

~ George Foster

What do all of these men have in common??? Only Shanahan had the brains - or lack thereof - to take these 4 players in the 1st round Where are they all now???

Not to mention the thrown away 3rd rounder - total waste of a draft pick - that Shanny used to take Clarett

I realize that many teams prolly have similar busts, but are they as common as they are for Shanny and the Broncos???

I am a homer if ever there was one....however, I am already looking forward to the upcoming draft....I was preaching all off-season that the Broncos needed to go out and get a top notch ROOKIE running back (Adrian Peterson, MarShawn Lynch) and plug them into our zone blocking system and all off-season I got flamed because we needed D-Line help (which we certainly did)....but we traded up to get Jarvis Moss....why not trade up to get A.P. But instead we go out and get a RB that has all the skills the Broncos need to suceed in our running scheme, but he has off the field issues and is facing a year long suspension!!!!

Oh yeah, looks like the top paid TE in the league is really paying dividends for the Broncos!! Graham has done pretty much NOTHING in 5 games.....Scheffler has had more of an impact in his two games since he has returned!!!

The Browncos fiasco!!!

I LOVE the Broncos and always will, but I really believe that some serious changes need to be made, ie, maybe time to look for a new coach, or, let Shanny focus on coaching only and hire someone to be the GM!!!

Oh well....the last draft is in the past....time to look forward to the next draft because the Broncos season in over 5 weeks in

Let the flaming begin

i think our lack of success is causing our ST deficit. nearly all the teams draft good players to back up and also play special teams, while the broncos put in 4th string players, and go out specifically to get ST players

this is the area most hurt by the lack of drafting sucess without question.
    -------

In terms of trading up for AP, how are you mad that we didn't? No team was willing to trade with us from that far up in the draft. Shanhan has tried to get into the top 10 the last couple of years but teams don't allow it.

What do you want him to do about that?

Quote Originally Posted by TR3Y View Post
    Oh yeah, looks like the top paid TE in the league is really paying dividends for the Broncos!! Graham has done pretty much NOTHING in 5 games.....
    Ummm... You do realize Graham is used primarily as a blocking TE? Thus we won't see him get the ball much. Maybe the reason Henry is #2 in the league has something to do with Graham?
    Current morale factor (on a scale of 1-10): -1000 and dropping like a lead balloon.

Reason: Thanks a lot Bowlen, McDaniels and Cutler!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlue Factory View Post
    Ummm... You do realize Graham is used primarily as a blocking TE? Thus we won't see him get the ball much. Maybe the reason Henry is #2 in the league has something to do with Graham?
    I have found that the majority of fans don't get what a tight end is really on the field for. They all think they are just receivers and if they aren't putting up receiver numbers, they aren't good. I don't get it considering 90% of our TE's in the past 20 years have been blockers and been good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    I have found that the majority of fans don't get what a tight end is really on the field for. They all think they are just receivers and if they aren't putting up receiver numbers, they aren't good. I don't get it considering 90% of our TE's in the past 20 years have been blockers and been good at it.
    yes but then we look back and see what Shannon was able to bring to the table, he was a fun guy to watch and listen too.

but i think we could have a good/great reciever TE in scheffler if somebody would utilize him more, and to go along with graham it could be very good.

i see scheffler as witten, heap type player, and hopefully he becomes that but he can only do so much with his very limited touches. the fact of the matter is not many LBs can cover a 6-5 260lb TE that runs a 4.5 fourty
    -------

Let's see....

~ Marcus Nash

~ Willie Middlebrooks

~ Ashley Lelie

~ George Foster

What do all of these men have in common??? Only Shanahan had the brains - or lack thereof - to take these 4 players in the 1st round Where are they all now???

Not to mention the thrown away 3rd rounder - total waste of a draft pick - that Shanny used to take Clarett

I realize that many teams prolly have similar busts, but are they as common as they are for Shanny and the Broncos???

I am a homer if ever there was one....however, I am already looking forward to the upcoming draft....I was preaching all off-season that the Broncos needed to go out and get a top notch ROOKIE running back (Adrian Peterson, MarShawn Lynch) and plug them into our zone blocking system and all off-season I got flamed because we needed D-Line help (which we certainly did)....but we traded up to get Jarvis Moss....why not trade up to get A.P. But instead we go out and get a RB that has all the skills the Broncos need to suceed in our running scheme, but he has off the field issues and is facing a year long suspension!!!!

Oh yeah, looks like the top paid TE in the league is really paying dividends for the Broncos!! Graham has done pretty much NOTHING in 5 games.....Scheffler has had more of an impact in his two games since he has returned!!!

The Browncos fiasco!!!

I LOVE the Broncos and always will, but I really believe that some serious changes need to be made, ie, maybe time to look for a new coach, or, let Shanny focus on coaching only and hire someone to be the GM!!!

Oh well....the last draft is in the past....time to look forward to the next draft because the Broncos season in over 5 weeks in

Let the flaming begin
    Actually, Travis Henry will not be suspended. He has alot of good years left in him, and we needed to improve our pass rush. Jarvis Moss was the better pick since we signed Travis Henry.

I do agree with you on Graham though. Before the season, I loved all of our off season moves except for that one. We really overpaid him. The excuse is he is the best blocking TE and also a receiving threat. But in my opinion his blocking isn't worth enough for that money. He is no Antonio Gates in the receiving game. I would rather have a TE like Gates or someone who is decent or average or even MEDIOCRE at blocking as long as they are such a great receiving threat.

In all honesty... there are alot of busts. Shanahan is not the only one drafting players who didn't turn into something special in the NFL. I think Marcus Thomas(giving him 1-2 years) will pay off. I think it was a great pick. Jarvis Moss was more of a need pick and I think he will be good. Tim Crowder will probably be good.

Draft before last... we got the right QB out of the three. I firmly believe Cutler is better than Young. And Cards fans are already calling Leinart Ryan Leaf. Cutler hasn't even started a full year yet, you gotta give him a few years to learn. However, I think he has done very well for a young inexperienced QB. The problem is our defense. Also... Dumervil was a great pick. Man he looks like he will be one of the top DEs in the league. And we traded our 2nd pick for Javon Walker. Everyone said that Shanahan may have made a mistake because he is coming off such a huge injury and might not be the same. Once again Shanahan made a very good move. Javon(when he is playing) is such a threat all over the field and makes our other receivers better.

It's true that we have drafted alot of players that haven't succeeded. But that is just being pessimistic. Look at the ones we have drafted or traded picks for(Javon) that look like good moves. In 1-2 more years... Cutler will be one of the top QBs in the league.

Let's see....

~ Marcus Nash

~ Willie Middlebrooks

~ Ashley Lelie

~ George Foster

The Browncos fiasco!!!

Let the flaming begin
    those are the tip of the ice burg with Shanny piss poor drafting.
    WRs
    How about a 2nd rounder for WR Darius Watts?
    Or hey what about
    a 3rd rounder for WR Travis Mcgriff(1999) (the crime dog?)
    or gee, how about
    a 3rd rounder for WR Chris Cole?(2000)
    Made sure not to be outdone and went with
    Jeramy LaSuer(who?) in 2004
    In between the Broncos grabbed WR Lilly and OL "turstile" Foster
    and a ILB named Pierce who ah, well.........
    Jeez, the hits just keep on comin,

I say no not really. I think the Broncos have been one of the most winning organization since the Shanahan/Reeves Era.I know they dont need to ever trade up to get a RB when the best we ever had came from the 6thrd.And have many 1000yd rushers since.I think we lost some key players on SPT defense,Darrent Williams,Keith Burns,Sam Brandon,Kyle Johnson the list go's on but I think I made my point.Sure I would like to have some of them Drafts back but I dont have a crystal Ball.Without it I can see we Drafted the 1of the next star QB and the next Charles Haley and we will win the SB in the next 5 yrs.!!!

The Broncos lost alot of key players last year.The replacement although some are trying but most are lacking.

So out of 10 1st rounders with a year of experience, 4 are considered busts. (Foster and Lelie maybe even not being busts, just not great players). Plenty of teams have done that.

Atlanta Falcons with Roddy White, Jenkins, Duckett, Vick, Michael Booker.
    Bears with Cedric Benson, Michael Haynes, Rex Grossman, David Terrell, Cade McNown, Curtis Enis.
    Bengals with David Pollack, Chris Perry, Peter Warrick, Akili Smith
    Browns with Gerrard Warren, Courtney Brown, William Green, and Tim Couch.

It keeps going but it takes too much time.

Busts happen.

Dream posted this on another forum and well you can take what you want from it.

It's from ESPN, I believe.

3. The draft is king

Elvis Dumervil is Denver's only starting defensive lineman drafted by the organization. A few more defensive performances like the one Denver gave Sunday might convince the Broncos to start building through the draft instead of the free-agent scrap heap.

Only Washington has fewer of its own draft choices on its roster, a tough way to build a team in the salary-cap era. The Broncos and Redskins always seem to squeeze veteran salaries under the cap, but the approach could be catching up to the Broncos on defense.

Consider: Second-year Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy has more of his own draft choices on the Packers' roster than Denver's Mike Shanahan claims on the Broncos' roster after 13 drafts with the organization.
    Not every player is going to make the Pro Bowl, but you want guys whom you have drafted to atleast contribute a little bit, that way you don't have to hit free agency every year like gang busters.
    Last edited by Spyder; 10-09-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    So out of 10 1st rounders with a year of experience, 4 are considered busts. (Foster and Lelie maybe even not being busts, just not great players). Plenty of teams have done that.

Atlanta Falcons with Roddy White, Jenkins, Duckett, Vick, Michael Booker.
    Bears with Cedric Benson, Michael Haynes, Rex Grossman, David Terrell, Cade McNown, Curtis Enis.
    Bengals with David Pollack, Chris Perry, Peter Warrick, Akili Smith
    Browns with Gerrard Warren, Courtney Brown, William Green, and Tim Couch.

It keeps going but it takes too much time.

Busts happen.
    Hmmm..
    1st (31) Denver Broncos - Al Wilson, LB Tennessee (whew!)
    2nd 30 (61) Denver Broncos - Lennie Friedman, C Duke
    3rd 32 (93) Denver Broncos - Travis McGriff, WR Florida
    4th 32 (127) Denver Broncos - Olandis Gary, RB Georgia
    5th 25 (158) Denver Broncos - David Bowens, DE Western Illinois
    1st 15 (15) Denver Broncos - Deltha O'Neal, DB California
    2nd 9 (40) Denver Broncos - Ian Gold, DB Michigan
    2nd 14 (45) Denver Broncos - Kenoy Kennedy, DB Arkansas
    3rd 8 (70) Denver Broncos - Chris Cole, WR Texas A&M
    4th 18 (112) Denver Broncos - Cooper Carlisle, T Florida
    5th 25 (154) Denver Broncos - Muneer Moore, WR Richmond
    1st 24. Denver Broncos - Willie Middlebrooks, CB Minnesota
    2nd 51. Denver Broncos (from Buffalo)Paul Toviessi DE Marshall
    3rd 87. Denver BroncosReggie Hayward - DE Iowa State
    4th 113. Denver Broncos (from Green Bay)Ben Hamilton - C Minnesota
    6th 190. Denver Broncos Kevin Kasper - WR Iowa
    1st 19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
    2nd 51 Denver Clinton Portis RB Miami (Fla
    3rd Denver (from New England through Washington and Baltimore) Dorsett Davis DT Mississippi State
    4th none
    5th Denver (from Jacksonville through New England) Herb Haygood WR Michigan State
    1st 20 20 Denver George Foster OT Georgia
    2nd 19 51 Denver Terry Pierce ILB Kansas State
    3rd none
    4th 11 108 Denver Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
    4th 17 114 Denver Nick Eason DT Clemson
    4th 31 128 Denver Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
    5th 22 157 Denver Ben Claxton C Mississippi
    5th 23 158 Denver Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
    Denver
    1 (17)-D.J. Williams, OLB Miami (Fla)
    2 (41)-Tatem Bell, RB Okl. St
    2 (54)-Darius Watts, WR Marshall
    3 (85)-Jeremy LeSueur, CB Michigan
    5 (152)-Jeff Shoate, CB San Diego St
    6 (171)-Luke Triandos, WR Alabama
    6 (190)-Josh Sewell, C Nebraska
    7 (225)-Matt Mauck, QB LSU
    7 (247)-Brandon Miree, RB Pitts.
    7 (250)-Bradlee Van Pelt, QB Colorado St

1st none (trade/WASH)
    2nd 24. (56) Denver Broncos - Darrent Williams, CB Oklahoma State
    3rd 12. (76) Denver Broncos (from Washington) - Karl Paymah, CBWashington State
    3rd 26. Denver (Forfeited Pick)
    3rd 34. (97) Denver Broncos (compensatory) - Domonique Foxworth, CB Maryland
    3rd 38. (101) Denver Broncos (compensatory) - Maurice Clarett, RB Ohio State
    4th none
    5th none
    Count how many players are currently on the Denver Broncos.
    Count how many are just flat out anonymous names. Never to be heard from again.
    There are more busts and i only went back to 99, i didnt want to totally embarass Shenanigans!
    Shenanigans just does not build from the draft and now its biting him in the rear end.
    I could care less about the Bungles or the browns or Falcons, historically LOSING franchises! Great examples!

Quote Originally Posted by socalorado1 View Post
    Hmmm..
    1st (31) Denver Broncos - Al Wilson, LB Tennessee (whew!)
    2nd 30 (61) Denver Broncos - Lennie Friedman, C Duke
    3rd 32 (93) Denver Broncos - Travis McGriff, WR Florida
    4th 32 (127) Denver Broncos - Olandis Gary, RB Georgia
    5th 25 (158) Denver Broncos - David Bowens, DE Western Illinois
    1st 15 (15) Denver Broncos - Deltha O'Neal, DB California
    2nd 9 (40) Denver Broncos - Ian Gold, DB Michigan
    2nd 14 (45) Denver Broncos - Kenoy Kennedy, DB Arkansas
    3rd 8 (70) Denver Broncos - Chris Cole, WR Texas A&M
    4th 18 (112) Denver Broncos - Cooper Carlisle, T Florida
    5th 25 (154) Denver Broncos - Muneer Moore, WR Richmond
    1st 24. Denver Broncos - Willie Middlebrooks, CB Minnesota
    2nd 51. Denver Broncos (from Buffalo)Paul Toviessi DE Marshall
    3rd 87. Denver BroncosReggie Hayward - DE Iowa State
    4th 113. Denver Broncos (from Green Bay)Ben Hamilton - C Minnesota
    6th 190. Denver Broncos Kevin Kasper - WR Iowa
    1st 19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
    2nd 51 Denver Clinton Portis RB Miami (Fla
    3rd Denver (from New England through Washington and Baltimore) Dorsett Davis DT Mississippi State
    4th none
    5th Denver (from Jacksonville through New England) Herb Haygood WR Michigan State
    1st 20 20 Denver George Foster OT Georgia
    2nd 19 51 Denver Terry Pierce ILB Kansas State
    3rd none
    4th 11 108 Denver Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
    4th 17 114 Denver Nick Eason DT Clemson
    4th 31 128 Denver Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
    5th 22 157 Denver Ben Claxton C Mississippi
    5th 23 158 Denver Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
    Denver
    1 (17)-D.J. Williams, OLB Miami (Fla)
    2 (41)-Tatem Bell, RB Okl. St
    2 (54)-Darius Watts, WR Marshall
    3 (85)-Jeremy LeSueur, CB Michigan
    5 (152)-Jeff Shoate, CB San Diego St
    6 (171)-Luke Triandos, WR Alabama
    6 (190)-Josh Sewell, C Nebraska
    7 (225)-Matt Mauck, QB LSU
    7 (247)-Brandon Miree, RB Pitts.
    7 (250)-Bradlee Van Pelt, QB Colorado St

1st none (trade/WASH)
    2nd 24. (56) Denver Broncos - Darrent Williams, CB Oklahoma State
    3rd 12. (76) Denver Broncos (from Washington) - Karl Paymah, CBWashington State
    3rd 26. Denver (Forfeited Pick)
    3rd 34. (97) Denver Broncos (compensatory) - Domonique Foxworth, CB Maryland
    3rd 38. (101) Denver Broncos (compensatory) - Maurice Clarett, RB Ohio State
    4th none
    5th none
    Count how many players are currently on the Denver Broncos.
    Count how many are just flat out anonymous names. Never to be heard from again.
    There are more busts and i only went back to 99, i didnt want to totally embarass Shenanigans!
    Shenanigans just does not build from the draft and now its biting him in the rear end.
    I could care less about the Bungles or the browns or Falcons, historically LOSING franchises! Great examples!
    My post was in alphabetical order. You know, A...B....C....D.. I simply trusted you to look up other teams yourself.

Also, an interesting study Lorcust did a month or so ago:
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=98613

Not to mention, every team is going to draft people you will never hear from again. Especially with late round, low picks that the Broncos have been fortunate to have due to their success. Again, I trusted you would look at other teams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    My post was in alphabetical order. You know, A...B....C....D.. I simply trusted you to look up other teams yourself.

Also, an interesting study Lorcust did a month or so ago:
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=98613

Not to mention, every team is going to draft people you will never hear from again. Especially with late round, low picks that the Broncos have been fortunate to have due to their success. Again, I trusted you would look at other teams as well.
    yes cinnaman, other teams do have their busts. So what? Mr Shenanigans has had a large amount of his picks turn out to be nothing. Note alot of the 2nd and 3rd rounders turned out to be nothing.
    This is just piss poor, crappy drafting.
    and whats with "oh, san diego had poor drafts, so why cant we?" BS?
    What is that? Its OK for the Broncos to have crappy drafts all the time cause TEAM A did also?
    I'm starting to get that "homer" feel in here again..................

Yo man you can't draft a great player with every pick. Every team will get it's share of busts... it's part of the business.