Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

10/13 Games of interest with an eye toward the draft

OK, Im DVRing Syracuse-Rutgers as it has a few prospects of interest. Pedro Sosa, Jeremy Zuttah, Jameel McClain, and Joe Fields.
    Here are some matchups of interest (feel free to add):

I think Im also going to DVR the Oregon State - Cal game. That has some interesting prospects as well. More specifically, Ill be wanting to watch Mike Gibson, Roy Schuening, Craig Stevens, and Thomas DeCoud

The Georgia Tech- Miami and the Virginia Tech-Duke games also have some interesting prospects.

Keep and eye on WR Tiquan Underwood, Rutgers. Jr. He has really been tearing it up this year. He is a former QB turned WR. Not super fast but could clock under 4.5.

Let me know what you think about him.

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    OK, Im DVRing Syracuse-Rutgers as it has a few prospects of interest. Pedro Sosa, Jeremy Zuttah, Jameel McClain, and Joe Fields.
    Here are some matchups of interest (feel free to add):

I think Im also going to DVR the Oregon State - Cal game. That has some interesting prospects as well. More specifically, Ill be wanting to watch Mike Gibson, Roy Schuening, Craig Stevens, and Thomas DeCoud

The Georgia Tech- Miami and the Virginia Tech-Duke games also have some interesting prospects.

GT's middle MLB, Philip Wheeler, was all over the place....

Philip Wheeler
    ILB | (6'1", 234, 4.55) | GEORGIA TECH

Scouts Grade: 91

Strengths: Aggressive, reads keys quickly and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Uses hands well, delivers a strong punch at the point of attack and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Has good not great range, takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Gets good depth, reads quarterbacks' eyes and covers a lot of ground quickly when asked to drop into zone coverage. Times blitzes well, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and has above-average closing speed. Flashes the ability to run through blockers in the backfield and is a relentless pass rusher. Has experience lining up on the inside and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Undersized for an inside linebacker and gets engulfed at times. Can be overaggressive and overruns holes. Does a great job of keeping tight ends in front of him but isn't physical or aggressive enough and makes it too easy for them to catch passes underneath. Doesn't explode out of cuts, loses too much speed when forced to turn and run and lacks ideal man-to-man cover skills. Lacks elite ball skills and isn't much of a playmaker in coverage. Relies on speed too much and has yet to develop an arsenal of pass rush moves. Appears to gear down at times and isn't relentless in pursuit.

Overall: Wheeler appeared in all 12 games in 2003, primarily on special teams, and finished with six total tackles. He was redshirted in 2004. During his next two seasons (2005-'06) Wheeler played in 26 games (26 starts) and recorded 153 total tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 13 sacks and four interceptions. Wheeler doesn't have prototypical size for an inside linebacker or cover skills for an outside linebacker but there's a lot to like about his instincts, closing speed and tackling. A strong senior season could land Wheeler a spot in the first two rounds of the 2008 draft.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post

Philip Wheeler

Strengths: Aggressive, reads keys quickly and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Uses hands well, delivers a strong punch at the point of attack and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Has good not great range, takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Gets good depth, reads quarterbacks' eyes and covers a lot of ground quickly when asked to drop into zone coverage. Times blitzes well, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and has above-average closing speed. Flashes the ability to run through blockers in the backfield and is a relentless pass rusher. Has experience lining up on the inside and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Undersized for an inside linebacker and gets engulfed at times. Can be overaggressive and overruns holes. Does a great job of keeping tight ends in front of him but isn't physical or aggressive enough and makes it too easy for them to catch passes underneath. Doesn't explode out of cuts, loses too much speed when forced to turn and run and lacks ideal man-to-man cover skills. Lacks elite ball skills and isn't much of a playmaker in coverage. Relies on speed too much and has yet to develop an arsenal of pass rush moves. Appears to gear down at times and isn't relentless in pursuit.

Overall: Wheeler appeared in all 12 games in 2003, primarily on special teams, and finished with six total tackles. He was redshirted in 2004. During his next two seasons (2005-'06) Wheeler played in 26 games (26 starts) and recorded 153 total tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 13 sacks and four interceptions. Wheeler doesn't have prototypical size for an inside linebacker or cover skills for an outside linebacker but there's a lot to like about his instincts, closing speed and tackling. A strong senior season could land Wheeler a spot in the first two rounds of the 2008 draft.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.
    I think Wheeler is better suited to play OLB at the pro level. He had his moments today but I also saw a lot of the "Undersized for an inside linebacker and gets engulfed at times" part.

Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post

Philip Wheeler

This is the guy I have been touting on the draft thread that we should go after in the 2nd round. Interesting thing is that this is his first year at MLB. I think he still projects as an OLB in the NFL, and could be our answer to the SSLB for years to come. He will go early to mid 2nd IMO, but may sneak in as a late 1st. It all depends on how many underclassmen declare.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually draft a SAM instead of always moving a great WSLB (DJ & Mobley) over?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler2007 View Post
    Keep and eye on WR Tiquan Underwood, Rutgers. Jr. He has really been tearing it up this year. He is a former QB turned WR. Not super fast but could clock under 4.5.

I will but I probably wont watch it until later tonight. While I was DVRing that game, I was mainly watching the Miami-GT game.

This is the guy I have been touting on the draft thread that we should go after in the 2nd round. Interesting thing is that this is his first year at MLB. I think he still projects as an OLB in the NFL, and could be our answer to the SSLB for years to come. He will go early to mid 2nd IMO, but may sneak in as a late 1st. It all depends on how many underclassmen declare.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually draft a SAM instead of always moving a great WSLB (DJ & Mobley) over?
    First things first. DJ has to successfully transition to MLB first. Until he does, its hard to slot this pick.

Just checked the boxscores and read he didn't have a good day receiving. Would still like to know how he looked tho, blocking, did he drop any, so on.

Thanks.

I think Wheeler is better suited to play OLB at the pro level. He had his moments today but I also saw a lot of the "Undersized for an inside linebacker and gets engulfed at times" part.

Exactly! I'm not for moving DJ until they actually have a MLB....Wheeler just impressed me in that game today.

The kid can tackle....

Just checked the boxscores and read he didn't have a good day receiving. Would still like to know how he looked tho, blocking, did he drop any, so on.

Thanks.

Kenny Britt looked pretty good though...RS freshman though....

First things first. DJ has to successfully transition to MLB first. Until he does, its hard to slot this pick.
    To me it doesn't matter, unless you want Webster starting again next year. If DJ is not the answer at MLB, then move him to WSLB and draft a MLB with the 1st pick. Even if Gold steps up his play he is going to be 31 at the end of next year, which is not good for a LB whose game is based on speed. Younger, faster LBs are needed and this is the draft class to get them. If one is backing up for a year, big deal. It will still help STs to have these guys.

Im looking forward to watching the Syr-Rutgers game. I think Joe Fields might be big time underrated plus McClain was playing mostly MLB today. In previous games where I watched he has been DE mostly.

To me it doesn't matter, unless you want Webster starting again next year. If DJ is not the answer at MLB, then move him to WSLB and draft a MLB with the 1st pick. Even if Gold steps up his play he is going to be 31 at the end of next year, which is not good for a LB whose game is based on speed. Younger, faster LBs are needed and this is the draft class to get them. If one is backing up for a year, big deal. It will still help STs to have these guys.
    Yes it does matter. If DJ doesnt catch on and you draft Wheeler who is better suited for OLB, youre in the same position you were in this year.

Yes it does matter. If DJ doesnt catch on and you draft Wheeler who is better suited for OLB, youre in the same position you were in this year.
    Scenario 1: DJ becomes a great MLB. With the first two picks we grab two OLB, say Rivers and Wheeler and DJ is happy and resigns.

Scenario 2 : DJ doesn't get it at MLB and we move him to OLB. Chances are we move him to Will and he is happy or we move him to Sam and he doesn't resign (he hates playing SAM). We then draft a MLB and an OLB, Say Conner and Wheeler.

Either way our LB corps is in serious need of more talent. Look at our backups, Green, Winborn, and Lewis. Do you want to see any of these guys starting? Just the fact that Webster is our 3rd best LB shows how bad our depth is. Combine that with how great this draft is for LBs and I could see Shanny taking three. He has had success in attacking an area the last two years: 2005 3 CBs, 2006 3 Dline, 2007...
    Last edited by Cutler2007; 10-13-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Scenario 1: DJ becomes a great MLB. With the first two picks we grab two OLB, say Rivers and Wheeler and DJ is happy and resigns.

Scenario 2 : DJ doesn't get it at MLB and we move him to OLB. Chances are we move him to Will and he is happy or we move him to Sam and he doesn't resign (he hates playing SAM). We then draft a MLB and an OLB, Say Conner and Wheeler.

Either way our LB corps is in serious need of more talent. Look at our backups, Green, Winborn, and Lewis. Do you want to see any of these guys starting? Just the fact that Webster is our 3rd best LB shows how bad our depth is.
    The concern was you dont know how it will play out with DJ and scenario 2 isnt even realistic. Wheeler is slotted to go in Rd 1. To assume you can get him in Rd 2 is erroneous based on what the consensus seems to be.