Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sterling Sharpe blames the personnel

He says it's not Jim Bates scheme. He feels our defense is not big enough and wear down.
    I don't entirely agree with this assesment. I think Jim Bates scheme also is to blame to some extent.

According to him, Steelers will kill us by play action passes and we lose big time. I do think we will lose unless the run defense improves.

yea i was watching playbook too and when he pointed out that 1 linebacker lost in the middle of nowhere, i believe that was ian gold

Sterling Sharpe calls for the Broncos to lose every game by a lot, he's still jealous of the success his brother had here. Seriously he does this every year, the man HATES the Broncos.

Sterling may or may not like the Broncos but, beyond our secondary, is there any one in the defensive front seven that anothere team would even want playing at their current position? We are seriously lacking in firepower. We brought a slingshot to a firefight.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that our scheme is maximizing what talent that we do have but I am beginning to think that the coaching focus is farther down the road than just this year.
    RIP Cameron

I don't know about the "wearing down" part. We can't stop the run even during our opponent's first possession - ie Jacksonville. What's wearing them down, warm-up?
    [IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii76/thatlldo4rio/bcs_funny.jpg[/IMG]

It is the personnel, guys.

All the analysts and all the reporters I've read, heard, and seen have said that. Even the players have said it.

The scheme is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post

All the analysts and all the reporters I've read, heard, and seen have said that. Even the players have said it.

which always brings up this for me...if we dont have the personal to run the scheme...then why keep trying?...wouldnt it be better to adjust a scheme that at least fits the personal, at least playing to our guys strentghs would give us a chance at decency

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    which always brings up this for me...if we dont have the personal to run the scheme...then why keep trying?...wouldnt it be better to adjust a scheme that at least fits the personal, at least playing to our guys strentghs would give us a chance at decency
    The underlying reasoning behind that is that Bates has convinced Shanahan that these guys can run the scheme, even though game after game, that's proving to be false.

The underlying reasoning behind that is that Bates has convinced Shanahan that these guys can run the scheme, even though game after game, that's proving to be false.

well above it all i dont buy into that its merely the players...we sent a real good run stoppin , much needed DT to the raidrers...we moved a guy whos never played mike...to mike among other moves.....to fit bates scheme!!!

then now in the 6th game tell us the personal doesnt fit the scheme?

lets just go to a basic 4-3...where the front four attack....the middle three react...the the dbs cover....then we might get somewhere

I totally Agree

Doesnt "wearing down" imply that at some point we were stopping the run ? Weve been getting gashed from the opening whistle.

I miss you Al!!!!

Damn! I'll bet Al is sitting back somewhere and saying, "this would never had happened if I was there." When Al was at Mike, DJ could play to his abilities and cover a lot of space on the corners. Now it's the opposite. Last year DJ would come out of no where and make tackles. He was a stud on the outside. So much for one of the fastest LB crews in the NFL.

Here is what I can't understand for the life of me. Why don't Shanny and Bates call out people?? I mean tell them if you can't tackle you are not playing. I would think there is some hungry player on the practice squad who has nothing to lose and plays with all heart - could maybe make some tackles.

Heck Shanny Cut Hixon because he felt he did not perform.
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Definsive Scheme

Bates and Shanny can't change the scheme it's to late. On defense you make a scheme and then you plug in the players. Sharpe is kind of right we don't have the personnel for the scheme in some areas, but the players have to play with more heart. Week after week no matter how is in the game we're getting pushed off the ball and missing takles. We have had people in position to make stops there just not doing it. the coaching on "D" is ok, just not all the personnel. D.j. is learning, it's a huge jump from outside to inside LB, outside your more free to make plays inside there's alot of traffic you have to cut between to make it to the ball carrier. But the LB's pass coverage along with the safties pass coverage is terrible. No int's for any of them!!!!!!! How can you play 5 games and your safties not have a pick?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisMVP View Post
    But the LB's pass coverage along with the safties pass coverage is terrible. No int's for any of them!!!!!!! How can you play 5 games and your safties not have a pick?
    ... because we don't have a ballhawk, centerfielder guy at FS. Clearly, that is one of our major needs right now. If one of our younger DB's can emerge to fill this role, excellent, otherwise put it near the top of our wishlist for the next draft.