San Diego Wildfire

I am surprised there hasnt been a thread on this yet..I think we should all keep all those who have been evacuated and those who are in danger in our thoughts and prayers, and pray that the fires come to and end as soon as possible so life can get back to normal for those who have been affected..
    WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

My heart goes out to them, there are fires in so many places there now, no relief in sight, so sad and scary.

I know we have a few SoCal people here. I hope everyone is safe.

My husband is near the one in Malibu (he comes home Saturday). He can smell it. As long as he can't see the flames, I'm not going to worry.

Unfortunately, this is CA. No rain all summer, either nature or some stupid person starts a fire that burns acres and acres and then in the fall/winter, it rains which causes mud slides.

I hope the SoCal-ers check in to let us know how they are.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

It really sucks out here right now, worst smoke I have ever seen.

Was up in Mammoth this past weekend, had to drive by the fire in Santa Clarita/Palmdale area. Fire line was about a mile from the freeway, about 3 miles long with flames over 2 stories tall.

I live in Newport Beach, so unless the so called "Santiago" Fire gets out of controll badly (not out of the realm of possibility) Im fairly safe. But that fire is bad enough that on monday, the sun was blotted out by the smoke at my house.

You can feel the smoke in your lungs, I have had a headache all day from it - minor annoyance compared to what some other people are going through, over 300,000 evacuated as of now...

I'm in no danger being in the desert but I have some friends that have been forced to evacuate. They are fine but there's no word about their property yet.

My prayers are out to all.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
    How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

calibroncogrl47 Guest
    Its very sad!

I hope they are able to get a handle on it soon!

I watched a show on the fire tonight.

I can't believe how long it has gone on!

It's such a disaster!

It's too bad.. Many people worked their butts off for their safe homes, and now many of them are gone, or in danger.

Saying prayers for those affected. How nerve wracking that must be. Wonder where the Chargers game is going to end up.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ashleyangel7/Broncos/orangemanesigga3ep.png[/IMG]
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Impact"]True Female Broncos Fan. Yes, We Exist![/FONT][/SIZE]

I live in Santa Clarita, CA home of 6 different fires from the past 3 days! But luckily they have them all either contained or put out. Thousands of people had to evacuate but everyone I've talked to was able to return to their homes yesterday or early today. It's crazy though, with so much smoke in the air, and seemingly a war zone on the ground. Hundreds of cops and firefighters, as well as 20 or 30 choppers and airplanes flying around.
    [IMG]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2708/untitled254.JPG[/IMG]

Doesn't he look good?

This Northern California native hopes no one is hurt, killed and all is well.

I pray this fire is put out soon. God Bless the firefighters, they're having one hell of a time putting this bad boy out.
    School kills, at least I'll die smart........

By the way, for people of low IQs: I'm a Raider fan. You'd think the name was a big clue.....

Two things I love in this world: Calculus and Asian women.

Well, I have been busy.

The fires that burned in Rancho Bernardo and Poway came within 1 miles of my job.

Couldn't work Monday because of the 15 being closed in that area.

I have been seeing smoke all week. I miss the sun. Last night I was hopeful, I saw the moon.

I think the worst is over, at least in this part of the county.

Those who live in the south near the border and those up in Julian are in trouble. Pray for them. Last I heard Ramona and Julian had lost power and water (NBC 7/39).

And now interstates 15 and 5 are closed in sections to the north, so the only way out of here is east toward Arizona in I-8, which is WAY out of the way if you want to head north toward LA or Bakersfield. No train running up the coast either.

If you want to see just how HUGE this is, look at the burn map at:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/download/...4/14408838.pdf

The whole county is the part in white.

The purple under mandatory evacuation, and the red is what has burned or is currently burning.

The purple and green stretches through MCAS Miramar and covers all of the northern, suburban part of the city, including exclusive Rancho Santa Fe*, probably the single most expensive zip code to live in the country.

We're talking about 500,000 of the 3 million that live here being forced to move, and likely a half billion dollars in losses.

KPBS radio (NPR) lost their tower and has been broadcasting on my favorite station, FM-94.9, normally a progressive alternative station.

Qualcomm looks like a refugee camp.

The smoke is everywhere: http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Fire...rnia296_N8.jpg

My job has been very slow, so I am all caught up. We are doing mostly calling of associates in affected regions who did not show up for work.

* = this place is a who's who of famous residents (just a sampling):

-Rick Aguilera, former baseball player
    -Glen Bell, founder of the Taco Bell chain of restaurants
    -Joseph Coors, of the Coors brewery family
    -Tom DeLonge, guitarist and vocalist of the bands blink-182, Box Car Racer, and Angels and Airwaves; owner of Macbeth Footwear
    -Sidney Frank, liquor promotions billionaire
    -Brian Giles, San Diego Padres Right fielder
    -Trevor Hoffman San Diego Padres Pitcher
    -Jewel, singer-songwriter
    -Gary Kremen, founder of match.com and sex.com
    -Steve Kerr, Former NBA player, General Manager and President of the Phoenix Suns.
    -Joan Kroc, philanthropist and widow of McDonald's founder Ray Kroc
    -Jim Lampley, sports commentator
    -Mark Loretta, baseball player
    -Phil Mickelson, professional golfer
    -John Moores, philanthropist, owner of the San Diego Padres and a regent of the University of California
    -Juice Newton, singer
    -David Wells, professional baseball pitcher
    -Shaun White, Olympic gold medalist in snowboarding, professional snowboarder and skateboarder
    Last edited by Jared; 10-24-2007 at 07:21 AM.

Things are getting better out here in Orange County today. Lucky for me the costal winds came back up and cleared the beach cities of the smoke. Of course now its all trapped inland, where I work.

My girlfriend's entire family has been evacuated from SD, we have no idea if their homes even still exist, pretty sure the Witch fire took out her Aunt's house. The end looks in sight though, the gale force winds that fanned all the blazes are abating - hopefully the fire fighters (who have now been working for 4 days straight,) can get a handle on some of the more dangerous fires.

Its a terrible thing that has happened, and the long term effects are still unknown. Air quality in the entire So. California region is really bad. I would expect a lot of people to get sick from the ash and smoke that hey are forced to breath in. And of corse the media is already starting to do the blame game, trying to say that this could have been prevented/handled better.

15 fires, 70mph winds, and high temps. The fire planes were grounded often because of the weather. there was no way to controll what happened. People want to look for hero's everywhere - look no further than the hundreds of firwefightes that have fought these fires with no rest since Sunday. Some of whom lost their homes while trying to save toehrs.

I'm glad you all are okay and that the fires seem to be slowing down.

I have friends from another board that are in the areas. We haven't heard from one guy and I think they've been evacuated (Lake Wohlford area). His ranch got hit 4 years ago. The houses weren't touched because they had done some major clearing around them. He showed an arial view, all black except for two white spots where the houses are.

My husband said he saw a news reporter, reporting on the fires, standing in front of his own house as it burned to the ground. I don't know if that was his own call or the network's. If it was the network's, shame on them.

Everyone remains in my prayers.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

My great grandmother had to evacuate her house in Rancho Santa Fe on Monday morning. She's been staying at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. My dad told me the fires came within a mile of her neighborhood (all $1 million plus), but the firefighters (God bless them) were able to push the fires back a bit. No news yet on when she will be back in her home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier96B View Post
    i also took a crap and it was orange

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    My great grandmother had to evacuate her house in Rancho Santa Fe on Monday morning. She's been staying at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. My dad told me the fires came within a mile of her neighborhood (all $1 million plus), but the firefighters (God bless them) were able to push the fires back a bit. No news yet on when she will be back in her home.
    Actually, Del Dios and Rancho Santa Fe were hit, likely not her area though.

1 billion dollars in damages they are saying now........................