Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why does Elam get so much of the credit for our wins?

In my opinion, everyone who says that we would have been 0-8 (before last week) without Elam is pretty off-base in my opinion. I think that Jay Cutler and our offense deserve just as much if not all of the credit for those wins. Here is why.

Week 1 against Buffalo. Yes, this was a great kick but the snapper and holder were just as great. But more importantly, Jay Cutler lead us on a great last minute drive that got us into FG range. Also, if I remember correctly, Elam missed a couple of FG's in that game that nearly cost us the game.

Week 2 against Oakland. This was all on our offense in my opinion. Cutler lead us on a great last minute drive to tie it, then in OT we drove it deep into the red zone to give Elam about a 23 yard chip shot. Any kicker in the league hits that one. And again, Elam missed a FG in this game that would have nullified the need for OT. This is also the game that we iced Sea-Bass on the timeout.

Week 7 against Pitt. I will admit, this was a helluva kick. But once again, it was Cutler and the offense that got him into position to make the kick.

Just to be clear, this thread is in no way meant to bash Jason Elam. I just think that he is getting WAY too much of the credit for our success this season. I would say that people like Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall are just as if not more responsible for our 4 victories.

Thoughts?

see Sunday night game...then get back to us

Anyone want to contribute intelligent discussion instead of witty remarks?

I donít think we would have lost those games without Elam, but I donít think we would have won as many either.

Did you see Vinatieri at SD Sunday night? Indy brought him in because heís supposed to be one of the best clutch kickers out there. He botched a 29 game winning field goal.

Do you think Elam would have missed that one?

Is there any kicker you would rather have with the game on the line?

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAddict View Post
    I donít think we would have lost those games without Elam, but I donít think we would have won as many either.

Did you see Vinatieri at SD Sunday night? Indy brought him in because heís supposed to be one of the best clutch kickers out there. He botched a 29 game winning field goal.

Do you think Elam would have missed that one?

Is there any kicker you would rather have with the game on the line?
    I'm not saying that he didn't do a great job of making those kicks, because he did! I'm just saying that some people are overlooking the contribution that Cutler and co. made in those wins and are just giving Elam all the credit, which is off-base IMO. The people saying before last week that we would have been 0-8 without Elam are just taking it a little too far.

I kinda have to agree with the original poster. I think Elam gets a bit too much credit for the wins, considering the ending game kicks have been short. At the same time, Elam has missed some kicks DURING the games that would have needing those last minute kicks to begin with.

Personally.. I give much more credit to both Cutler and Marshall. Its those two that have been INCREDIBLE during the 2 minute drill.. and performing CLUTCH. Cutler putting the ball on target in those big time passes... and Marshall making the defenders miss and making yrds after the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I'm not saying that he didn't do a great job of making those kicks, because he did! I'm just saying that some people are overlooking the contribution that Cutler and co. made in those wins and are just giving Elam all the credit, which is off-base IMO. The people saying before last week that we would have been 0-8 without Elam are just taking it a little too far.
    Absolutely, some of the 3rd & long, and 4th down conversion on game winning or tying drives by Cutler have just been sick!

We were joking the other day watching the game that weíd almost rather see a 3rd & 12 then 3rd & 4, since Cutler converts every 3rd & long

But, even if Jay gets the team into a position to kick a crucial field goal, the kicker still has to kick it. And in that regards, Elam is showing this year that heís still the best.

Iím glad to have both, imagine how frustrated the Colts fans were Sunday night!!

Anyone want to contribute intelligent discussion instead of witty remarks?
    hatin cuz ur slow huh? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I kinda have to agree with the original poster. I think Elam gets a bit too much credit for the wins, considering the ending game kicks have been short. At the same time, Elam has missed some kicks DURING the games that would have needing those last minute kicks to begin with.

Personally.. I give much more credit to both Cutler and Marshall. Its those two that have been INCREDIBLE during the 2 minute drill.. and performing CLUTCH. Cutler putting the ball on target in those big time passes... and Marshall making the defenders miss and making yrds after the catch.
    Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one of this opinion!

In my opinion, everyone who says that we would have been 0-8 (before last week) without Elam is pretty off-base in my opinion. I think that Jay Cutler and our offense deserve just as much if not all of the credit for those wins. Here is why.

Week 1 against Buffalo. Yes, this was a great kick but the snapper and holder were just as great. But more importantly, Jay Cutler lead us on a great last minute drive that got us into FG range. Also, if I remember correctly, Elam missed a couple of FG's in that game that nearly cost us the game.

Week 2 against Oakland. This was all on our offense in my opinion. Cutler lead us on a great last minute drive to tie it, then in OT we drove it deep into the red zone to give Elam about a 23 yard chip shot. Any kicker in the league hits that one. And again, Elam missed a FG in this game that would have nullified the need for OT. This is also the game that we iced Sea-Bass on the timeout.

Week 7 against Pitt. I will admit, this was a helluva kick. But once again, it was Cutler and the offense that got him into position to make the kick.

Just to be clear, this thread is in no way meant to bash Jason Elam. I just think that he is getting WAY too much of the credit for our success this season. I would say that people like Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall are just as if not more responsible for our 4 victories.

Thoughts?
    You're quite right and I've made the same argument before.

Elam did his job and it's absolutely nothing against him. But he couldn't have done his job without the offense doing theirs.

The kicker is supposed to make all those kicks but you don't want to take it for granted. The Broncos are lucky to have kicker who is good at crunch time but it was absolutely the offense who won those games at the end of each of those wins.

The "analysts" who make the claim that we would have been 0-fer without Elam are simply retarded and trying to paint an overly negative image of the Broncos. Most kickers would have made those kicks but not every young QB and young offense would have made those crucial game-winning and/or game-tying drives.

So, kudos to Elam but even more kudos to the rest of the offense.
    Last edited by Javalon; 11-14-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

It's all about team effort right? He's part of the 53 every Sunday... whatever it takes to win!
    I'm on Twitter!

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Probably 0-8 is an exaggeration. The Broncos would probably be 2-7 without him. They would still have won against KC and another kicker would have been able to kick a 29 yard FG.

But it was totally remarkable that Elam managed to get onto the field, get set up, take the snap, and kick the winning FG within 10 seconds. That's unheard of. The Broncos should have lost that game. Certainly the rest of the ST deserves credit, but the pressure is really on the kicker in that situation because he has to make the kick without time to really get set and line it up.

He's done it twice this year with time running out. Then there was the 50 yarder to win with a pulled leg muscle that hindered him. No question he's playing hurt right now. You don't see it that much because he doesn't kick off any more, but to kick FGs with a pulled thigh muscle or whatever is pretty good. I think he can be forgiven for missing a few.

The Broncos have yet to lose because he missed a FG this season (he did miss a FG against the Packers, but he hasn't missed with the game on the line and a chance to win).
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Probably 0-8 is an exaggeration. The Broncos would probably be 2-7 without him. They would still have won against KC and another kicker would have been able to kick a 29 yard FG.

But it was totally remarkable that Elam managed to get onto the field, get set up, take the snap, and kick the winning FG within 10 seconds. That's unheard of. The Broncos should have lost that game. Certainly the rest of the ST deserves credit, but the pressure is really on the kicker in that situation because he has to make the kick without time to really get set and line it up.

He's done it twice this year with time running out. Then there was the 50 yarder to win with a pulled leg muscle that hindered him. No question he's playing hurt right now. You don't see it that much because he doesn't kick off any more, but to kick FGs with a pulled thigh muscle or whatever is pretty good. I think he can be forgiven for missing a few.

The Broncos have yet to lose because he missed a FG this season (he did miss a FG against the Packers, but he hasn't missed with the game on the line and a chance to win).
    True, but you could argue that in the Buffalo game he missed 2 kicks that several other kickers in the league would have made. He put himself in the situation to require last-second heroics. It was a truly remarkable play but it really shouldn't have even come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianOrange View Post
    It's all about team effort right? He's part of the 53 every Sunday... whatever it takes to win!
    You are right there - I like what Favre said about this subject after he passed my boy Elway.

Favre said he never liked the QB getting counted for the win. He went on to say it is a team effort.

I concur with that statement. It takes the TEAM to win not one player!
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

True, but you could argue that in the Buffalo game he missed 2 kicks that several other kickers in the league would have made. He put himself in the situation to require last-second heroics. It was a truly remarkable play but it really shouldn't have even come to that.
    It shouldnt come to that, you are right...but it does. Just the reality of football.

Elam is as good as it gets when it comes to kicking clutch, game winning FG. Even the vaunted Vinitari couldnt shake the pressure of lining up and kicking a FG with the game on the line...from 29 yards!
    Its what kickers get paid for. They can either make or break games.

Now, I will agree that the 0-8 stuff is for the birds...but it is nice to know that we have that clutch kicker that can win games...from 29 or 49 yards.

And yes, Cutler and Co. get the credit for getting Elam into that position to win the game...more than once this season. He is part of the team--one of the most important parts of the team.

It's just like saying Cutler is (whatever the record is since he started in his career) responsible for winning or losing the game.

It all comes down to a figure of speech. Cutler wins the game, Cutler loses the game. The defense wins the game, the offense wins the game, Champ wins the game, Elam wins the game, Shanny wins the game...

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton