Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

DJ may move back to WLB next season...(article)

I just read this on Pro Football Weekly

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi112807.htm

Bates' job appears safe, but other changes coming defensively

Nov. 28, 2007

Sources suggest it would take the doors caving in the rest of the way for highly regarded defensive coordinator Jim Bates to lose his job after just one year in Denver, disastrous as it has been with the Broncos ranking 25th in yards allowed and 30th in points. Head coach Mike Shanahan is expected to show patience with the hand-picked Bates, who received acclaim for his previous work in Miami and Green Bay. But that doesnít mean there wonít be some personnel turnover on the defensive side of the ball, perhaps plenty of it, especially in the front seven. Although money figures to be short in the offseason, the Broncos will be in the market for a space-eating defensive tackle who isnít as limited as and plays harder than Sam Adams, as well as a middle linebacker who can hold up better vs. the run and allow D.J. Williams to move to the weak side, where scouts say his athleticism and speed would be put to better use. WLB Ian Goldís play has dropped off significantly this season in Batesí new scheme, and his days in Denver would appear to be up.

sounds good to me. Bring it on Bates! That front 7 especially the LBs need some work

Well I'm not shocked that Bates is going to keep his job. As much as I think he's not coaching his players to their abilities, but rather, forcing his players into his scheme, he has a proven track record with two separate teams and I think he deserves more than one season to work out the kinks (although, if Denver gives up 1-2 more games like San Diego or Detroit, things may change).

I'm also not surprised about DJ Williams moving back to the weakside either. It's been a failed experiment, and I think he was much more effective in his former position than doing what he has been this season.

Ian Gold is a bit surprising, but not because I think he's a great player or anything, because I don't. But I know Mike Shanahan has always thought highly of Gold even though his play has declined for the past couple of seasons. For me, however, I think that will be a good move.

The question becomes, who's going to be Denver's MLB and DT next season?

Welll... DJ hasn't played WLB since his rookie year, and speculation was that he was moved because he couldn't cover the pass.

I personally don't think thats true. I think Shanahan felt obligated to give Gold a new contract, because they supposedly had an agreement to make a new Contract at the end of the season Ian got hurt. But Shanahan couldn't justify giving Ian a new contract after that kind of injury. Once Gold went away and proved his knee was fine, I think Shanahan held up his part of his agreement with Ian, and signed him to the contract he would have gotten bfore the injury happened. Thus this forced DJ to the SAM position (we drafted DJ because we lost TWO starting LBs that year... Ian and Mobley).

I don't think Bates is not "teaching to his players skills." I think Bates was brought in to coach HIS system, and thats what they implemented into Denver's defense... TRYING to get the personnel to accomplish that, and trying to work through the kinks. Once they had the bye, and the additional week to make a change, they did. They got away from the wide DEs. Considering Bates has proven that he can coach defense on two other teams, I certainly am not qualified to criticize HIS coaching abilities or methods. I think thats a bit outside my knowledge base.

Plus... this article is just speculation... and not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    The only way I would put any weight on anything said in that article is if Adam Sheftler (sp?) wrote it.
    Current morale factor (on a scale of 1-10): -1000 and dropping like a lead balloon.

Reason: Thanks a lot Bowlen, McDaniels and Cutler!

This is all very curious to me. Not that i am a big Ian supporter or anything, and sure replacing Gold with D.J. would be an upgrade... But just who will they find to come in to play MLB? Sure we would love to see Al back if he was cleared, but i think that is highly unlikely.

And if we find / acquire a big MLB that can take on blocks, what about the SLB? Webster hasn't be spectacular at all. In fact, i would take Ian at Will over Webster at Sam. Wouldn't that make us need two lb's instead of just one?

We got three corners one year...

Three defensive linemen in one year...

Now watch Shanahan go and use the first three picks in the draft on Lb's. Two new starters and one for special teams!!!

So just as DJ is getting the hang of playing Mike, they're going to move him back to Will? If that's true, this coaching staff is even more clueless than I thought.

i think dj is finally getting use to mlb but i am not against moving him to wlb. If he does move the broncos need to draft connar, laranitis(sp?) or wheeler in the first round. And dre moore in the second
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

I don't think they'll move him unless they find a really good replacement for him. He is progressing very well IMO at Mike, and if he had a better crew around him he would beast it up. I do think Jim deserves one more chance, he has done decent these last 4-5 games, but if we have some more meltdowns, they'll think twice about bringing him back.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    So just as DJ is getting the hang of playing Mike, they're going to move him back to Will? If that's true, this coaching staff is even more clueless than I thought.
    I wouldn't say clueless, but it is a curious move.

I do think, with all the shifting, and if moving DJ back to WLB is what they choose, we will go through yet another season of a so called transtition where the defense will struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    I wouldn't say clueless, but it is a curious move.

I do think, with all the shifting, and if moving DJ back to WLB is what they choose, we will go through yet another season of a so called transtition where the defense will struggle.
    not as much so... Dj has at least 5 years at playing WLB. He played that position through highschool and 1 year in the pros. It might take the offseason for him to get use to it again but it wont be a year long thing like it was this year since he will not be learning a new position he will be reverting back to his "natural" position.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorebronco View Post
    This is all very curious to me. Not that i am a big Ian supporter or anything, and sure replacing Gold with D.J. would be an upgrade... But just who will they find to come in to play MLB? Sure we would love to see Al back if he was cleared, but i think that is highly unlikely.

And if we find / acquire a big MLB that can take on blocks, what about the SLB? Webster hasn't be spectacular at all. In fact, i would take Ian at Will over Webster at Sam. Wouldn't that make us need two lb's instead of just one?

We got three corners one year...

Three defensive linemen in one year...

Now watch Shanahan go and use the first three picks in the draft on Lb's. Two new starters and one for special teams!!!

Whatever works, since the Broncos need help stopping the run and on Special teams.

It will be interesting to see how the off-season works out. I figure that is 4-6 weeks...the off-season is too long, me thinks!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Welll... DJ hasn't played WLB since his rookie year, and speculation was that he was moved because he couldn't cover the pass.

I personally don't think thats true. I think Shanahan felt obligated to give Gold a new contract, because they supposedly had an agreement to make a new Contract at the end of the season Ian got hurt. But Shanahan couldn't justify giving Ian a new contract after that kind of injury. Once Gold went away and proved his knee was fine, I think Shanahan held up his part of his agreement with Ian, and signed him to the contract he would have gotten bfore the injury happened. Thus this forced DJ to the SAM position (we drafted DJ because we lost TWO starting LBs that year... Ian and Mobley).

I don't think Bates is not "teaching to his players skills." I think Bates was brought in to coach HIS system, and thats what they implemented into Denver's defense... TRYING to get the personnel to accomplish that, and trying to work through the kinks. Once they had the bye, and the additional week to make a change, they did. They got away from the wide DEs. Considering Bates has proven that he can coach defense on two other teams, I certainly am not qualified to criticize HIS coaching abilities or methods. I think thats a bit outside my knowledge base.

It's not that he couldnt cover he used to blow assignments so they would use him blitz'n and zoning area's. Thank God he has raw talent.

I don't think that we go through a transition if we move DJ back to Will.... that's his natural position,and one he wouldn't have to COMPLETELY learn. He knows taht position, and it would just be natural for him to play there again. Its like riding a bike, or slipping on a comfortable pair of shoes.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, and don't find it to be a curious or 'strange' move by the coaching staff if it DOES happen. They aren't going to change in the middle of this season, but that doesn't mean at the end of the year they can't look at the progression, the lack of progression, or just where he is at and determine if they need to make a change or not. I actually would expect them to do JUST that. If they gave it a shot, and it didn't work, I would expect them to re-evaluate and make the choice that puts DJ in the best place. If they determine that Ian's play has regressed enough to be replaced... it would make sense to put DJ back over to his natural spot.

As far as finding a Sam... thats the easiest position to fill on the LB positions. If we DO move DJ to Will, and sign a new Mike, then even the Sam would have an easier time. Even the helmet man himself would be better.

" DJ may move back to WLB next season..."

YES!!!!!!!

Sssssseeee ya Ian (Wishful thinking?)......