Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Broncos’ Henry to learn his fate on Friday

Broncos’ Henry to learn his fate on Friday

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
    Originally published 04:03 p.m., November 29, 2007
    Updated 04:03 p.m., November 29, 2007

ENGLEWOOD -- After weeks of waiting, a decision on Travis Henry's appeal of a failed drug test is expected from the NFL on Friday.

Henry said Thursday he did not want to discuss the potential resolution.

However, there is now a feeling among some both in the league and the Broncos front office that if Henry is indeed told the result of his appeal hearing just two days before a game – because of competitive issues – the ruling could be favorable toward him. The Broncos play at Oakland Sunday.

The running back was notified earlier this season by the league that he had failed a drug test – for marijuana – and has disputed the results to Broncos officials, the league and his teammates since.

Henry had his appeal hearing Nov. 16 in Phoenix with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and other league officials. In that appeal, at least part of Henry's presentation was that the thresh-hold of what was detected was too low to be anything except second-hand inhalation. Henry is believed to have also shown that he had been tested just days before and just days after the positive test and both of those were negative.

Henry also submitted results – both negative Broncos officials, including coach Mike Shanahan, have said – of a hair sample drug test as well as a lie detector test.

He also filed a lawsuit in September, that's still on-going, against the league over portions of the drug policy.

Shanahan, who said Thursday the team had not yet been notified of a decision by the league, has publicly defended Henry and said if he believed the running back had failed a drug test because he had smoked marijuana Henry would have already been released from the team.

Because he had been suspended for four games in 2005 for a failed drug test, Henry is facing the potential of a year-long suspension if the appeal doesn't go his way.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...s-fate-friday/

Friday? I thought it was their rule to not announce anything when the work week begins(Wed.)?

The NFL usually doesn't make late week decisions that can affect teams game plans for the upcoming game. Odd.
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...onmarshall.png
    Making team signature bars, just drop me a PM.

Wow... it sure seems optimistic in his favor. I wish him the best... We need him back to hopefully get something out of all the money we are spending on him.

I also like Mike Shanahan's position on this. It shows a lot to the team that their coach is willing to stand up for them if they are in the right, even against the league. Players will fight for a coach who fights for them.

calibroncogrl47 Guest
    Geesh...they are just dragging it out as long as they can arnt they..

I actually like Young and Hall better... but as long as they get the job done..I dont care which RB is out there at this point

We just need to win!

If he does get suspended, he can come watch the games at my place..

....him and Ricky...hehehe

PEACE!!!
    JEEP
    O||||O
    []-----[]

PEACE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stand Ablaze View Post
    Friday? I thought it was their rule to not announce anything when the work week begins(Wed.)?

The NFL usually doesn't make late week decisions that can affect teams game plans for the upcoming game. Odd.
    well. they make make the decision on friday, but it may not effect this weeks game?? or did the article cover that/

I honestly don't believe the timing of this shows any indication of how Roger Goodell will rule, either favorably towards Henry or against. I think that's just speculation because people believe Goodell gives a hoot about a team's preparation for a game. Given his previous suspensions, I doubt that highly. He probably feels that Shanahan took a gamble on Henry in the first place, and after all this time (it has been since September, after all), he should be prepared to be without him at any point (and I'm sure Shanahan is).

That said, I have no feeling on how Goodell is going to rule on this. It could go either way, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
    If he does get suspended, he can come watch the games at my place..

....him and Ricky...hehehe

PEACE!!!
    Can I join? I'll bring the pizza!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I honestly don't believe the timing of this shows any indication of how Roger Goodell will rule, either favorably towards Henry or against. I think that's just speculation because people believe Goodell gives a hoot about a team's preparation for a game. Given his previous suspensions, I doubt that highly. He probably feels that Shanahan took a gamble on Henry in the first place, and after all this time (it has been since September, after all), he should be prepared to be without him at any point (and I'm sure Shanahan is).

That said, I have no feeling on how Goodell is going to rule on this. It could go either way, in my opinion.
    I would think Goodell would be concerned with a teams preparation for a game. Yanking a starter 2 days before a game puts that team at a disadvantage, especially if that team is going on the road.
    If the decision is not in Henrys favor, and it comes out on Friday...the team leaves Saturday to fly in for a Sunday game...that gives that team no time to make adjustments and practice with the new starter before the game.
    Not to mention its a disadvantage to the other team, as I'm sure they plan on those starters playing.
    I think in the name of competition and fairness, yanking that player would be unfair. Now, if the ruling comes out against Henry, the suspension should come after the game is played.
    In that way, it is hard to say how the ruling will go.

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Quote Originally Posted by BroncFanIN View Post
    I would think Goodell would be concerned with a teams preparation for a game. Yanking a starter 2 days before a game puts that team at a disadvantage, especially if that team is going on the road.
    If the decision is not in Henrys favor, and it comes out on Friday...the team leaves Saturday to fly in for a Sunday game...that gives that team no time to make adjustments and practice with the new starter before the game.
    Not to mention its a disadvantage to the other team, as I'm sure they plan on those starters playing.
    I think in the name of competition and fairness, yanking that player would be unfair. Now, if the ruling comes out against Henry, the suspension should come after the game is played.
    In that way, it is hard to say how the ruling will go.
    But the fact is the positive UA happened in September, and this is now November (almost December). It's not like Goodell hasn't given the Broncos, Shanahan, and Henry time to prepare for a possible suspension. Remember, this has been dragged out so long because of Henry's court appeals and injunctions - not necessarily because of anything the NFL did.

So the 'in the name of competition and fairness' argument doesn't really hold water, in my opinion. We've had over two months to prepare for this, which is over twice as long as a team usually gets.
    Last edited by mojo0730; 11-29-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AllEyezOnZach27 View Post
    Can I join? I'll bring the pizza!!!

mmmmmmmmmmm pizza!!!!! Love it.......just no olives, mushrooms or anchovies, everything else I'm game for..........and you would be more than welcome to join.......

PEACE!!!
    JEEP
    O||||O
    []-----[]

PEACE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    But the fact is the positive UA happened in September, and this is now November (almost December). It's not like Goodell hasn't given the Broncos, Shanahan, and Henry time to prepare for a possible suspension. Remember, this has been dragged out so long because of Henry's court appeals and injunctions - not necessarily because of anything the NFL did.

So the 'in the name of competition and fairness' argument doesn't really hold water, in my opinion. We've had over two months to prepare for this, which is over twice as long as a team usually gets.

Also, keep in mind that Shannahan isn't exactly on Goodell's "good side". Shannahan recieved phone calls from Gooddell letting him know of their disappointment at Shannahan for releasing the information that Henry had passed both the lie detector test, and the hair folicle test.

Possibly a "last laugh" type of thing for Goddell, if Henry is suspended so close to game time??

Quote Originally Posted by cadencesdad View Post
    Also, keep in mind that Shannahan isn't exactly on Goodell's "good side". Shannahan recieved phone calls from Gooddell letting him know of their disappointment at Shannahan for releasing the information that Henry had passed both the lie detector test, and the hair folicle test.

Possibly a "last laugh" type of thing for Goddell, if Henry is suspended??
    or maybe because it would be harder for Goodell to justify his actions if the defense continues to add blocks to their case to the media. Not that it would CHANGE his decision,but it would certainly give room for more questions and more people 'questioning' his authority or decisions behind that authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    or maybe because it would be harder for Goodell to justify his actions if the defense continues to add blocks to their case to the media. Not that it would CHANGE his decision,but it would certainly give room for more questions and more people 'questioning' his authority or decisions behind that authority.
    I've thought this for awhile now. I really believe he's waiting for people to forget about all the compelling evidence in Henrys favor, or possibly the case all together (minus Broncos fans of course) before he suspends him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stand Ablaze View Post

This can only mean that Henry is "CLEAN" in the leagues eyes