Less interesting football?

Anyone else notice how pointless defense is becoming? With so many new rules now where you cant even touch a reciever its becoming extremely easy to throw 4-5 touchdowns in a game and put up 50 points.

If you look back at Marino's records it used to look insane now his td record is going to be beat twice in two years, the old school records that nobody thought could be beat seem like nothing now.

That's the way the commish wants the NFL to be played......High scoring and a lot of offense.

I'm a Defensive guy myself!!!

PEACE!!!
    JEEP
    O||||O
    []-----[]

PEACE!!!

The game of football like life is ever changing. The players learn to adjust to it. What else does the NFL do? Make the field bigger? Add a twelfth man on each side of the field? In a perfect world it works, but there is no perfect world. Ten years ago the NBA toyed with making the basketball court six inches wider on each side. That idea died on the vine because in the long run it would make no difference. Professional sports is all about making games exciting and pulling in the almighty dollar and that will never change. The rules, however, will always change to keep you and me pumping money into the system.

Sometimes a good defensive battle can be better, and certainly more intense, than a blow out........................OK, the 'Fin's are garbage, but I loved that old school mudbowl they had with the Giants at Wembley

I wouldn't want to see it every week, but it can be fun
    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
    You'll Never Walk Alone

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...mber/mag7s.jpg

Spiffing sig, MasterShake

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Quote Originally Posted by Starbroncs View Post
    Anyone else notice how pointless defense is becoming? With so many new rules now where you cant even touch a reciever its becoming extremely easy to throw 4-5 touchdowns in a game and put up 50 points.

If you look back at Marino's records it used to look insane now his td record is going to be beat twice in two years, the old school records that nobody thought could be beat seem like nothing now.
    The contenders in the league still play good defense. It's far from pointless.

he's right about records being broken at a fast rate. some of it is the rules, most of it is the players. every generation of players are more athletic and smarter than the one before. hell any college team today would beat an NFL team from just 20 years ago. just the way it goes for just about everything. humans always find a way to get better at something

I love offense. The more the merrier!

I did love that Dolphins Steelers game though. Good ol' fashioned mud bowl!

Kind of funny how football and hockey are similar

American hockey rinks are smaller to increase the amount of hitting and action on the offense.

But in this case it helps out both the defense and offense.

But as John Madden said

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships. For the most part that's true.

That's why I like watching our local areana football team, the Spokane Shock. The ticket prices are decent; the seats are excellent and you watch non stop action. Not that I'd ever pass up the chance of watching the Bronco's play, but I have to go with the realistic resources that are available to me now. I've seen the Bronco's once - back in either 1987 or 1988 when I lived in LA at a pre season game against the LA Rams. I think the Broncos won. It was fun.

I would agree that the average player is better than it used to be, but the rules changing are ridiculous. Its getting closer and closer to flag football and thats half the reason why there are so many blowouts now. Its much less entertaining to me, just look at the call with dre bly at the end of the chicago game, he had no affect of the receiver catching the ball and that play pretty much lost them the game.

i think it's two things

1) the evolution of the player. players are bigger, faster, stronger and quicker than before. we now have owens, moss, marshall, colston, gates, etc.

2) the league's entering in a new era. i think this will start being known by all in a year or two. we're entering an era where offense wins now, not defense. the rules have been "emphasized" or changed so much over the years it's just turned into teams either scoring, or just stopping themselves more often than ever. this game in all its marketed glory has turned into exactly what they wanted it to be-the pro bowl every week of the season. or so you'd think sometimes. which is why i think slot receivers are more useful than ever. third corners just aren't going to be able to cover the types of slot receivers we have nowadays. which i think is the reason we cut whatshisnuts last week. qb pressure is really the only way to stop some of these teams.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity