Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pro Bowl Redskins to wear No. 21. interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Pro Bowl Redskins to wear No. 21
    Cooley, Samuels will both honor Sean Taylor in Hawaii
    Posted: Wednesday January 23, 2008 2:55PM; Updated: Wednesday January 23, 2008 2:55PM

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Sean Taylor, the first player voted posthumously to the Pro Bowl, will have his jersey number worn at the game by two of his former Washington Redskins teammates.

The NFL announced Wednesday that tight end Chris Cooley and tackle Chris Samuels will both wear No. 21 at the game Feb. 10 in Honolulu.

Taylor died Nov. 27, a day after being shot at his home in Florida. The 24-year-old safety was leading the NFL in interceptions at the time. He was chosen the following month for the NFC team in balloting among coaches, players and fans.

Taylor made his only Pro Bowl appearance last year, when he was voted as an alternate but was later added to the roster when another player withdrew.

Cooley and Samuels will each wear his own name on the back of the jersey, above the No. 21. The jerseys will be auctioned after the game, with the proceeds benefiting the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund that was established for Taylor's daughter, Jackie.

Cooley usually wears No. 47, while Samuels' regular number is 60.

Taylor is the first player chosen posthumously for an all-star team in a major American team sport since Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Pelle Lindbergh topped the fan voting for the 1986 NHL All-Star game.

The weekend following Taylor's death, every NFL player wore a No. 21 decal on his helmet in tribute. Many players kept the decals on their helmets for the rest of the regular season and during the playoffs.

is it me, or did the NFL not allow the Broncos Pro Bowlers last year to wear D-Will's #27?

Wow you have to be kidding, Bailey and Lynch wanted to do this for D-Will and they wouldn't let them.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9581/fergywj2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Wow... I have to say... I've defended the NFL in all the hypocrisy claims about Dwill versus Taylor... but this one gives me a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

the only thing that i can think of that would come remotely close to justifying this is the fact that he was named to the pro bowl, but even then, honoring a fallen teammate is no different whether they made it to the pro bowl or not.

I think you might find that the NFL regrets not allowing Bailley and Lynch to wear D-Wils number

perhaps this is a step forwards

peace on Earth and good will to all men

Quote Originally Posted by thehighlander View Post
    I think you might find that the NFL regrets not allowing Bailley and Lynch to wear D-Wils number

well bailey and lynch are both going this year, so they have a chance to make up for it

are they gonna wear 27?
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Yeah really thats what I want to see!
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9581/fergywj2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

It's official. the NFL hates us.

Quote Originally Posted by thehighlander View Post

yeah, I think the NFL regrets it, just because they screwed up last year is not reason to continue making poor decisions.

Man, when I read this I about blew a gasket. I remember last year having this discusson on this board about how Champ, Lynch & Al should all wear #27. Here's what I wrote and below is the link to that discussion:

Years back, Pro Bowl players were not allowed to wear the same # as a player on their respective team. A few years ago, that changed and you would see multiple players wearing the same number. For example, Champ & Charles Woodson could both wear #24.

So, why not have Champ, Lynch & Al all wear #27 in respect to D Will? Heck, Al wore #27 at Tennessee. Just wonderin'.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=83093

This really pisssssssssssses me off. D-Will had just been murdered and Champ, Lynch & Al all wanted to pay their respects. Not but 2 weeks later, Damien Nash lost his life. The NFL then makes it a mandate to have all teams wear the #21 for that first weekend after Taylor lost his life. They did absolutely nothing for DWill or DNash or even Marquis Hill of the Patriots (#91).

I am in no way trying to disrespect Sean Taylor, but man, the NFL really disrespected DWill and his family by pulling this latest and letting Cooley & Samuels wear #21. They better let Champ and Lynch wear #27.

Quote Originally Posted by 32-33Champs View Post
    Man, when I read this I about blew a gasket. I remember last year having this discusson on this board about how Champ, Lynch & Al should all wear #27. Here's what I wrote and below is the link to that discussion:

Years back, Pro Bowl players were not allowed to wear the same # as a player on their respective team. A few years ago, that changed and you would see multiple players wearing the same number. For example, Champ & Charles Woodson could both wear #24.

So, why not have Champ, Lynch & Al all wear #27 in respect to D Will? Heck, Al wore #27 at Tennessee. Just wonderin'.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=83093

This really pisssssssssssses me off. D-Will had just been murdered and Champ, Lynch & Al all wanted to pay their respects. Not but 2 weeks later, Damien Nash lost his life. The NFL then makes it a mandate to have all teams wear the #21 for that first weekend after Taylor lost his life. They did absolutely nothing for DWill or DNash or even Marquis Hill of the Patriots (#91).

I am in no way trying to disrespect Sean Taylor, but man, the NFL really disrespected DWill and his family by pulling this latest and letting Cooley & Samuels wear #21. They better let Champ and Lynch wear #27.
    man that's low nothing towards Taylor but like you said they could of done something for D-will D-nash and Marquis Hill

Quote Originally Posted by showtime24 View Post
    Wow you have to be kidding, Bailey and Lynch wanted to do this for D-Will and they wouldn't let them.
    as i recall: Bailey, Lynch AND Wilson wanted to wear #27

They should let one of them wear 27 and the other one 29. And they should also let any of the pats who want to wear #91.

Quote Originally Posted by 32-33Champs View Post
    They better let Champ and Lynch wear #27.
    I have a better idea!!!
    #27 in the front and #29 in the back

to honor both of our fallen heroes!!!

WTH?!?!?!?!?!

That is so damn lame!!!

If I were Champ and Lynch I would boycott the Pro Bowl because of this. Although that may not look too good (protesting people honoring their dead teammate and all). This just fires me up

Quote Originally Posted by bjoli198 View Post
    I have a better idea!!!
    #27 in the front and #29 in the back

to honor both of our fallen heroes!!!
    GREAT IDEA!!!!!

If the NFL doesnt let them to it, they should "doctor" their jerseys before the game. Then ebay the jerseys to pay the fines they will receive.
    Last edited by LordOfChaos; 01-24-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: change *** to WTH
    Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
    Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
    Kyle: Yeah.
    Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
    Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

Kyle: Go Broncos.
    Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
    Cartman: Yeah.