Thread: clue me in

clue me in

whats better for high def tvs
    plasma or LCD
    im thinking of getting a new one and dont have a clue on whats better

i honestly dont think there is a huge visible difference between the 2.

my dad just got a Vizio 52" LCD 1080i tv at sams club for $1800 which is a lot less expensive than most, just be sure to get a good brand and you will be happy

too bad football season is over
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    i honestly dont think there is a huge visible difference between the 2.

my dad just got a Vizio 52" LCD 1080i tv at sams club for $1800 which is a lot less expensive than most, just be sure to get a good brand and you will be happy

too bad football season is over
    i looked an looked at them in wallyworld...and couldnt see a diff myself other then the plasma was a couple hundred more. i have a 52 inch older tv hd1080i capable but its neither plasma or lcd and even on hd the picture never seems really sharp, thats why i want a new one, probably at least a 47 inch in the lcd...and a 42 in plasma...which is ok with the much higher quality. i just want to get the better one

I was shopping around lately for my mom to get something.

I'm pretty sure plasmas are better TV'S because they are pretty much always twice as expensive. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend but she ended up choosing something 32' LCD for like 500 bucks, I saw it once and looked really nice. If you want to drop like 750-1,000$ you can get a nice big LCD... but with the same dough pretty much a small plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    whats better for high def tvs
    plasma or LCD
    im thinking of getting a new one and dont have a clue on whats better
    They both have their pros and cons:

Price: LCDs are generally cheaper

Image quality: Plasmas are generally considered to have better black levels and more sets tend to be a bit brighter, although it depends on the models. LCDs also tend to suffer a bit more "blur" than plasmas on fast-moving scenes.

Burn-in: Plasmas suffer a LOT more burn-ins than than LCDs, and that ain't good on expense sets like these. You have to be careful.

Power: Plasmas use more power than LCDs, although most people don't seem to care about this.

Life span: Both types will eventually fade. The difference is that with LCDs you can change a lamp and get back to full brightness. When plasmas fade, you're screwed. But to be honest, you have to use your set pretty regularly to notice a fade within 10 years. But it can be a concern if you plan to keep it for a long time.

In the end, people who think everything else is secondary to image quality will usually go with plasma. People who look at the whole picture (so to speak ) often go with LCD since the image quality is not that different unless you're pretty picky... which a lot of people are, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you go with plasma, I would just remind you about the burn-in problem and to be careful with it. Nothing sucks more than to shell out a few thousand bucks on a set and then be seeing permanent lines on the screen after a year or so. Use the stretch mode when watching standard def or playing non-widescreen video games.

But regardless of your choice, don't look back with any regrets. Just enjoy your new toy and watch lots of movies!
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

I was told I could "re-fill" my plasma tv after 15000 hours. But in 10 years I'll just buy a new one.........
    BTW-plasma is the way to go! SAMSUNG

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderfan76 View Post
    I was told I could "re-fill" my plasma tv after 15000 hours. But in 10 years I'll just buy a new one.........
    BTW-plasma is the way to go! SAMSUNG

i needed a good laugh today thanks

that a flat out lie they told ya

there is nothing you can do with a plasma if you have a pixel burnt out or anything down the road to fill it up. people have lied a bunch of times to customers just to make the sale or get them to buy a product. it really makes me sick to hear the lies people have been told.

Javalon is correct in everything

id rather buy an lcd over a plasma cuz the disadvantages of the plasma outweight the positives.

i used to sell tv's for 11 years. the company ive worked for was tweeter a higher end corporation of audio video products. one day we received a pioneer plasma ($18,000) to display on the showroom floor. well we take the thing outta the box and hook it up, 2 dead pixels were out already on the set. for an 18,000 set to have 2 small blue dots on the screen would tick me off to say the least.

the only reason i tell ya that story is just to say that if it can happen on an 18,000 set it can happen on any plasma set. do yourself a favor and go into a store, ask the salesperson to show you burn in on a set and or a pixel being burnt out. i would bank on the fact that they have both of these problems on the showroom floor on a few sets.

hit me up with a pm arapaho if you need help with a few models you are looking at. ill be more than happy to help ya out.
    Last edited by saltybuggah; 01-25-2008 at 09:14 AM.

sig by B4B6..

If you have a lot of light in the room with a tv go with the LCD because they do not glare as much as a Plasma does. My TV room is very dark so I went the plasma and I LOVE IT. I got the HD box through directv and the picture is AWESOME.
    12/09/07 I WAS THERE (Chiefs 7 BRONCOS 41)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    First game at Invesco

i needed a good laugh today thanks

that a flat out lie they told ya

there is nothing you can do with a plasma if you have a pixel burnt out or anything down the road to fill it up. people have lied a bunch of times to customers just to make the sale or get them to buy a product. it really makes me sick to hear the lies people have been told.

Well the fact that the sales person said that means nothing to me, it made no difference because I had done all the research and I knew what I wanted.
    I paid 2300 for the HD plasma about 2 years ago with a 5 year EW. If I get 5 years out of it I'll be happy. I also own 2 HD LCD tv's, they are great tv's, but not as good as the plasma.
    The bottom line is do some research before buying.........
    Last edited by Raiderfan76; 01-25-2008 at 09:20 AM.

We went with LCD because of all the "rumors" about plasma. I had a friend buy a plasma when they first came out and he is already shopping around for a new one. They play alot of video games on it so that burnt in factor caught up with them quickly.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
    We went with LCD because of all the "rumors" about plasma. I had a friend buy a plasma when they first came out and he is already shopping around for a new one. They play alot of video games on it so that burnt in factor caught up with them quickly.
    Well, you can avoid the burn-in but you just have to be very careful. Then again, a lot people don't like to watch TV or play video games in "stretch" mode which is the main way to avoid burn-in. And a lot of people like just not having to worry about it.

Basically, I think LCD is the way to go. But I understand why a lot of people want to go plasma when they don't care about anything other than picture quality, which is still slighly in favor of plasma. Of course, not everyone can see a noticeable difference between current LCDs and plasmas. That's why it's good to go shopping and actually see them side by side. (Of course, then you have the problem of some stores not calibrating LCDs right because they want to sell the more expensive plasmas. )
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

well all appreciated......i knew i could research it but the best way is to ask people who have em...so thanks...it seems i'll go with the lcd....to be safe

fyi...went with the 46 inch visio lcd, 1080 fullhd..looks great!!