Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839

    Henry wants back

    http://www.denverpost.com/sitemap/ci_8104423

    Henry aims to make good for Broncos
    By Bill Williamson
    The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 01/29/2008 01:35:13 AM MST


    Travis Henry (Post file)Travis Henry spent the first month of the offseason stewing about the past season and thinking of a way to make it up to the Broncos, who must decide whether to keep him or cut him. Henry made his choice clear Monday.

    "I want to make it right to the Broncos, the fans and myself," he said. "I want to be a Bronco and make it all right. I don't want to be anywhere else. I owe those people something for all that happened last year. I want to clear my name there. I'm so hungry to do right there."

    What bothers Henry most about his first season in Denver and seventh in the league was that it all started so well before imploding. After the first four games, Henry led the NFL in rushing and looked the part of the tailback the Broncos made a priority in free agency and spent $22.5 million over five years to obtain.
    Then in early October, word of an alleged positive drug test broke and Henry faced a possible one-year suspension. He filed a lawsuit against the NFL over the test, and after a 54-day saga, Henry won an NFL appeal to keep playing. However, Henry suffered a series of knee and rib injuries that ruined his season. In the final 12 games of the season, Henry missed four games and didn't have more than 65 yards in a single game. He didn't have a carry in the season finale against Minnesota.

    "It was my toughest season," Henry said. "It was a big distraction for everyone, and then I started getting hurt. It was just a bad season all around."

    Henry said he felt pressure in August when a lawsuit was filed against him in Georgia for child support. The suit disclosed that Henry had fathered nine children by nine women.

    "All this stuff about my kids came out, and that hurt," Henry said. "I just want to forget about this season and be the best I can be for the Denver Broncos. I really want to make it work for the Broncos. I love that system and that history, and I know I can do well there. I just want that chance."

    The Broncos owe Henry $6 million in option bonus money, and the team has had preliminary talks with his agent about the future. While there is a chance Henry could be a salary cap casualty in the next month, the team would like to keep him because he is a bruising back, and he would complement the faster, younger but injury-prone Selvin Young. Henry said he is keeping out of the financial affairs, but it is clear he wants to return.

    "I'm already back in Denver working out," Henry said.

    Bill Williamson: 303-954-1262 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com


    If he takes the paycut and we keep him there goes a back in the draft right?


    Personally I wouldn't mind just dumping him. I didn't like signing him and don't anymore. But it would save us a position we would need to address at least this offseason (granted this draft is so stock full it may be a good draft to address the position)
    Last edited by JoRo; 01-29-2008 at 08:56 AM.
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    245
    If we bring Henry back then a first day RB selection is out the window I would imagine.

    I still look for us to bring in someone early on Day 2 even if we do keep Henry though, unless there's a big run on RB's in the 2nd or 3rd round then the BPA figures to be a RB at some point on Day 2.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Schism View Post
    If we bring Henry back then a first day RB selection is out the window I would imagine.

    I still look for us to bring in someone early on Day 2 even if we do keep Henry though, unless there's a big run on RB's in the 2nd or 3rd round then the BPA figures to be a RB at some point on Day 2.
    I do not think his apology will go as far as some fans think...he said the same crap when he first was signed by Denver, that all of it was behind him, and within less then a half a season we had to see his character issues, physical limitations and a supposed drug infraction. And I still do not by his story on that issue either. I do not think it will make a bit of difference, Bowlen I think has pretty much said forthwith that Shanahan better clean up the team.

    ...Master Protagonist...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    245
    Oh I hope you're right of course, no matter what Henry says I think that going into next year with him as our primary RB is taking a huge, and quite frankly stupid, risk. He has so many question marks over him that you have to figure there's an unacceptable percentage chance of at least one of them rearing its ugly head, and potentially ruining our season.

    I was just making the point that Henry coming back would effect our draft significantly. This being the draft forum and all.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Schism View Post
    Oh I hope you're right of course, no matter what Henry says I think that going into next year with him as our primary RB is taking a huge, and quite frankly stupid, risk. He has so many question marks over him that you have to figure there's an unacceptable percentage chance of at least one of them rearing its ugly head, and potentially ruining our season.

    I was just making the point that Henry coming back would effect our draft significantly. This being the draft forum and all.

    I have heard that before, but it also depends on the breakdown of his contract...because if I was Shanahan I would keep him on the roster as of right now, if I could...walk into the draft with him, Javon and Foxworth on day one...walk out of day one smiling as we get our halfback cause no one saw it coming, Denver trades down with Detroit and gets the 15th overall pick, gets Mendenhall and Shaun Rogers, then trades Javon Walker and Dominique Foxworth in a series of moves which nets us another latter second round pick!



    Could you imagine if we walked out of day one with four actual players? Rashard Mendenhall, Shaun Rogers, Earl Bennett and either Ali Highsmith, Phillip Wheeler, Dre Moore or DuJuan Morgan...the board would go nuts!
    ...Master Protagonist...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,209
    Quote Originally Posted by lancane View Post
    I have heard that before, but it also depends on the breakdown of his contract...because if I was Shanahan I would keep him on the roster as of right now, if I could...walk into the draft with him, Javon and Foxworth on day one...walk out of day one smiling as we get our halfback cause no one saw it coming, Denver trades down with Detroit and gets the 15th overall pick, gets Mendenhall and Shaun Rogers, then trades Javon Walker and Dominique Foxworth in a series of moves which nets us another latter second round pick!



    Could you imagine if we walked out of day one with four actual players? Rashard Mendenhall, Shaun Rogers, Earl Bennett and either Ali Highsmith, Phillip Wheeler, Dre Moore or DuJuan Morgan...the board would go nuts!
    That phrase cracks me up...


    And yet...


    I remember that being my first thought when I heard on the radio that Denver traded up and picked Cutler.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    1,350
    Of course he wants to come back, doesnt want to give up the money. please cut him shanny.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    That phrase cracks me up...


    And yet...


    I remember that being my first thought when I heard on the radio that Denver traded up and picked Cutler.
    LMFAO...or Maurice Clarett, I thought the boards were gonna shut down...hahaha. I never thought the replies to that draft pick would be so heavy, then as you said about Cutler. The thing about Cutler though was that it divided the boards, automatically you had the 'Plummer-ites' and the 'Culter-ites' and I am sure we all remember the threads on that!

    ...Master Protagonist...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,112
    Reminds me of saurbrun last year....

    Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,209
    Quote Originally Posted by lancane View Post
    LMFAO...or Maurice Clarett, I thought the boards were gonna shut down...hahaha. I never thought the replies to that draft pick would be so heavy, then as you said about Cutler. The thing about Cutler though was that it divided the boards, automatically you had the 'Plummer-ites' and the 'Culter-ites' and I am sure we all remember the threads on that!

    I'd tried to repress the whole Clarett deal, dammit Cane!

    Quote Originally Posted by Astrass
    Reminds me of saurbrun last year....
    Good comparison. I think you're right. Shannahan fought to help vindicate Henry's position... and while we obviously would've liked a more productive season... I think he gets a second chance.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    I don't think it will make so much a difference. I was just sayin that he sounds like he WANTS to come back.

    If he does I guarentee you it won't be on the contract he is at right now. If he is Shanny went off the deep end.
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    849
    Let Selvin start and let Henry back him up or just give them split carries, Thunder and Lightning....Henry is obviously too injury prone to carry the whole load so split his time like they did with him his last year in Tenn.

    thats if hes willing to take a pay cut.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dyna$ty View Post
    Let Selvin start and let Henry back him up or just give them split carries, Thunder and Lightning....Henry is obviously too injury prone to carry the whole load so split his time like they did with him his last year in Tenn.

    thats if hes willing to take a pay cut.
    Shanahan already said Young can not carry the load, and health issues is something they both have in common. Why risk it? Seriously, I am sorry but if Shanahan gives Henry another chance to be the back in Denver I for one will be disgusted with Shanny...enough is enough, we keep adding these second tier quality backs, the last to at least be somewhat dominant was Anderson, and even then it was evident the system was sliding the wrong way. He will eventually do the thing he would not let happen to Elway happen to Cutler...letting it rest and depend completely on him alone. And what will you all say when Henry and Young are injured again, it was okay because we had the ninth best rushing offense between them? And next year we will not have a shot at one of the top tier backs in the draft, I think there is only three likely to be in that category at that time. But again, if that happens I wonder how many will change their tune around here...just like they did with Plummer, and that is hilarious to me; not because I am anti-Plummer, but because I said the same about him then two seasons later we draft Cutler.

    If we keep Henry in my honest opinion he needs to take a huge paycut, and Shanahan should move him to fullback...A) Less wear and gives us a quick second running and receiving option, B) Henry can block well when he wants to, I still am not too damn happy he let Cutler get smacked around though! But if he accepts it, that also stops us from having to draft a fullback, either way we need a running back in one spot or another, and Shanahan does not like to use true fullbacks as he has stated, so why not? He converts 217lbs. backs to fullbacks, Sapp was nothing special...I would not mind Henry earning redemption, but he should not be the franchise back, and who knows...maybe being moved to fullback will fix his career and help us in the long run.
    ...Master Protagonist...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,707
    Did you listen to Shanny's post season presser.

    Travis will be back. Javon - I just don't know
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

    http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

    Where Jay Graduated!


    I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    5,077
    Quote Originally Posted by cutlerfan View Post
    Did you listen to Shanny's post season presser.

    Travis will be back. Javon - I just don't know
    Nothing was said about Henry being back, more or less it sounded like his career here was done! If anything the Walker issue was more positive IMHO...I do not know how you got he would return, cause Shanahan mentioned TD, true halfbacks, tough runners who can score and how they are game changers and when asked about Henry, he sounded pissed off!

    ...Master Protagonist...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •