Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    It's definitely to early to raise the white flag of surrender for the 2008 season.

There's always a chance that the Broncos will add enough talent to the team to win more games than they did in 2007.

Reverting back to a more traditional defense could make the defense better in 2008. They didn't have the talent to run Bates' scheme, but they seemingly do have the talent to run what Slowik will do.

The skilled players might be enough to overcome the deficiencies on the offensive line, which can't protect Jay in obvious passing situations.

I think they can win at least 9 games. Of course, if they don't and the defense isn't ranked in the top 15 and they don't make the playoffs, I will be calling for Shanahan to be fired. The scapegoating must stop.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I think they can win at least 9 games. Of course, if they don't and the defense isn't ranked in the top 15 and they don't make the playoffs, I will be calling for Shanahan to be fired. The scapegoating must stop.
    Apart from the "make the playoffs" bit, I tend to agree with you. 9-7 would a a good result, IMO, and a decent showing by the defense would be very encouraging.

The only reason I don't want to get riled up about making the playoffs is that chances are only the winner of the AFC West is going to get a shot at the big show... and barring a collapse by the Chargers (which would be sweet) I don't see that happening at 9-7.

I love the Broncos as much as anyone, but I'm also realistic! Everyone is still talking D. The offensive line will be miserable, even if we draft well.

[QUOTE=TheRealMoose;2101019]Can suck it. Yep, I said it.

Shanahan tends to have VERY good seasons when his back is against the wall. In 1996, after going 8-8 in '95, we went 13-3 and won the division.

In 1999, we went 6-10 - STILL the worst record in his tenure. In 2000 we went to the playoffs, losing in Balto to the eventual champ.

In 2004, we went to the playoffs and lost in the first round - AGAIN - and EVERYONE was calling for Shanny to resign. Naturally, we went 13-3 in '05, won the division (sweeping SD in the process, by the way) and won a playoff game, making it to the AFC Championship Game.

So please, express your doubts. Talk about how he's lost his touch and how he doesn't have it anymore. Please, keep doing so.

It'll make it that much more fun for me to laugh at you.[/
    QUOTE]

I hope your right! But if I'm right, think of me when your crying in your pillow. The focus of this team should be on rebuilding, not the "we're just one pick away from the SB."

I'm going to hope for the best just like I do every year if you don't mind. What happens happens. Maybe I'll be disappointed maybe not, that remains to be seen.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
    How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm going to hope for the best just like I do every year if you don't mind. What happens happens. Maybe I'll be disappointed maybe not, that remains to be seen.
    Exactly my point. It's much too early to proclaim this year a disaster waiting to happen or the next coming of the Greatest Show on Earth. We won't be able to make any reliable projections until training camp and even then more than half of us will be completely wrong!
    Current morale factor (on a scale of 1-10): -1000 and dropping like a lead balloon.

Reason: Thanks a lot Bowlen, McDaniels and Cutler!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
    Now with all of the attention turned to the draft and free agency, let’s face that fact that our beloved Broncos are in for another lousy year. I have read threads that once again focus on the defensive line, I suspect because of the Giants’ performance. We need that and much, much more. I’m not a pro talent scout, and neither are any of you, so let’s pretend we are and rank the top five greatest needs of the team.

1)Offensive Line – We need Jay healthy to hope for any success in the future, and please let them be of substantial size. Please no small lineman, it doesn’t work anymore.
    Line was injured last year. With a healthy line, the Denver O is top 10 IMO. Maybe top 5 with a healthy compliment of receivers. Nothing wrong with 290 lb O-Linemen. Blocking is about strength and leverage, not size.

2)Defensive Line – Enough said, please see statement about lineman above
    Yes. But this has nothing to do with the Giants. Denver's needed DL help for quite some time. But never as much as this year.

3)Safety – We were torn apart down the seams last year
    If Ferguson is re-signed and Lynch comes back, Safety isn't a huge need. Still, time to look at filling the position for the future.

4)Linebacker – LB play was terrible last year, some due to the lack of run stoppage by the line.
    Nah. LB play was hurt too much by the line play and the new system to judge adequately. Anytime you have OGs hitting your MLB, a big run will result. Again, I think depth at the position will be important.

5)Punter – This is one of the most important plays in football.
    Yeah, behind the QB, NT, MLB, C, FS, RB, FB...

Let's hope we don't have a typical draft by Shanny. GO BRONCOS!
    There have only been a couple of really poor drafts this decade. The last couple have been pretty good.
    A little premature with your gloom and doom prognosis. I think with a solid draft and one or two high-end FA acquisitions to fix the DL and WR positions (if JW leaves), plus a bit of luck with health, the team will be contenders. I think chemistry will be better next season too, with the coaching changes on D and Cutler, Schef, & Marshall working out together in the offseason.
    Last edited by Lomax; 02-07-2008 at 01:13 PM.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

I love how all the doom and gloomers completely forget that we had 68 man-games lost to injury. And in spite of guys missing THAT MANY GAMES, we finished ONE GAME BELOW .500!

HELLO?

I never said we're one player away from the Super Bowl. I certainly don't share your doom and gloom philosophy, especially before the draft even happens.

Jesus, give it a rest. I'm going to hope for the best, not the worst, and I know that if we keep guys healthy, it will make for a different season altogether.

Crying in my pillow? Nah. It's football, man. I have real problems and issues. I don't need to cry into my pillow, but thanks for your concern.

Now, back to assuming the worst for you!
    In Manning I trust.

I see many reasons to be enthused about next season

It's hard to imagine right now...that months from now, with no football games, the draft done...and spring has come and gone, and most of the summer is gone...

Everyone will be here at Broncomania, waiting with much anticipation for those highly coveted Training Camp Reports. We'll be like junkies looking for our Broncos "fix" twice a day.

With the SB still fresh in our minds, and the outstanding performance of the Giants, and judging it against our season...well, the Broncos arent the only team comparing and coming up short.

If anything, the Broncos, from its fan base to the owner, are competitive, and know that to be the best you have to beat the best.

Heck, Broncos football has been over since the new year, and I miss it already. The things I look forward to next year:

1. Jay Cutler going into this 3rd season, and bringing back a 3rd year Brandon Marshall and Scheff. Watching these 3-along with Stokley-is going to be thrilling and exciting.

2. Our defensive picks from 2007. Players seem to be rallying around Slowik, and seem willing to buy into his system.

3. Whoever it is we pick-up in the draft. As has been posted here, Bowlen has made it publically known that he wants to build from the draft, and not rely so much on over-priced, over-hyped free agents.

Teams have proven again and again that to win you need to need to build through the draft.

4. I'm anxious to see how Shanny will rally the troops, so to speak. The team showed flashes last year, but nothing consistant.

5. Its Broncos football. My team. Our team. The Orange and Blue. Crowd noise, smack talking with rival fans, wearing my sweatshirts and jersies with pride.

Go Broncos!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
    Now with all of the attention turned to the draft and free agency, letís face that fact that our beloved Broncos are in for another lousy year.
    There is no "fact" about that statement, purely opinion. IMO, the Broncos are not far from being a playoff team again. Super Bowl team? Obviously that's a lot harder to achieve but if it weren't then ALL teams would be Super Bowl contenders.

As to your specifics:
    1)Offensive Line Ė We need Jay healthy to hope for any success in the future, and please let them be of substantial size. Please no small lineman, it doesnít work anymore.
    This is a tough area because a lot of our problems last year were all the new, inexperienced guys on the O-line. Chemistry is hard to achieve with so many new guys in such a short period of time. And experience can only be gained by playing, so hopefully anyone we keep as a starter will be better for having played last year.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't object to a few upgrades. There are some good free agents available but no rookie is likely to contribute right away.

2)Defensive Line Ė Enough said, please see statement about lineman above
    I think we're set at DE. I'd like us to sign a good (or better) DT in free agency as well as draft a high potential DT. This would be a major step to fixing our defense.

3)Safety Ė We were torn apart down the seams last year
    Well, our guys have typically been better against the run than the pass. But their pass skills will be even worse if we can't get more consistent pressure on the QB. I certainly wouldn't mind drafting a talented safety.

4)Linebacker Ė LB play was terrible last year, some due to the lack of run stoppage by the line.
    A lot of the bad play was early in the year. D.J. started off really shaky at Mike but improved quite a bit as the year went on. But again, a lot of the seemingly poor play by the linebackers was because the DL wasn't doing their job and forcing too much action to the linebackers. If we were a 3-4 defense that might have been okay, but we're a 4-3 and the DL has a bigger impact. Fix the DL (DT, in particular) and the linebacking play will immediately improve.

5)Punter Ė This is one of the most important plays in football.
    Man, I'd just settle for a DECENT punter right now.

Let's hope we don't have a typical draft by Shanny. GO BRONCOS!
    He's drafted better the past few years. And even in drafts prior to that, I think he often doesn't have enough patience with the guys he drafted. Give them more time to pan out and don't cut them so quick in favor of aging vets.

Anyway, I'm optimistic that just a few key moves could get us back in the playoffs. And if we address all our needs and bat 1.000 with the guys we get, well, ANYTHING is possible.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Maybe we should just hope they go 1-15 next season on purpose so Shanny can waste the #1 pick.

Just joking!!!!!!!

I think we will turn this thing around and be a true contender. We do have talent as some other posters mentioned and missed a lot of guys to injury. Keep the negativity out of here, if the Giants can do a 180 from one season to the next so can the Broncos. And as for Shannys drafting yea he's made some mistakes but who has'nt? Don't forget who drafted Cutler, Dumerville, Thomas, Crowder, and Moss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tnickell View Post
    Maybe we should just hope they go 1-15 next season on purpose so Shanny can waste the #1 pick.

Just joking!!!!!!!

I think we will turn this thing around and be a true contender. We do have talent as some other posters mentioned and missed a lot of guys to injury. Keep the negativity out of here, if the Giants can do a 180 from one season to the next so can the Broncos. And as for Shannys drafting yea he's made some mistakes but who has'nt? Don't forget who drafted Cutler, Dumerville, Thomas, Crowder, and Moss.
    Not to mention we have an easier schedule this year. Atlanta and New Orleans should be wins as with our consitent doormat - Oakland. Win all of our home games and there's 11 wins right there. That should be good enough for a WC at least. Add in a few road wins (balanced by an odd home loss) and we could be 12-4 or 13-3 with a first round bye.

Me? Homer? Naaaaah
    Current morale factor (on a scale of 1-10): -1000 and dropping like a lead balloon.

Reason: Thanks a lot Bowlen, McDaniels and Cutler!

We will be an improved team as of last year... Last year we could have won ten games. We lost some we should have one... and then we won some very close games on the leg of a certain kicker. But this team is young... and Jay and Brandon give our offense a very bright future.

Next year will be another "rebuilding year" as of sorts. But I expect us to be a force to be reckoned with, a legitimate play off threat. I don't think we'll accomplish much in terms of history... But this year should give our squad good momentum to where we all want to be.

Watch for the young guns to take control and give this team an identity. That's exactly what we need. BMarsh says he and Jay aren't going to wait around for the vets to turn this team around. It's on their shoulders and I expect them to make something of it.

I'm saying a good season next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Apart from the "make the playoffs" bit, I tend to agree with you. 9-7 would a a good result, IMO, and a decent showing by the defense would be very encouraging.

The only reason I don't want to get riled up about making the playoffs is that chances are only the winner of the AFC West is going to get a shot at the big show... and barring a collapse by the Chargers (which would be sweet) I don't see that happening at 9-7.
    I'm fine with the Broncos not making the playoffs as long as the defense is ranked in the top 15. If that happens, I won't be calling for Shanahan's head. If they make the playoffs but the defense is ranked below the top 15, I'm fine with that. I just want the scapegoating to stop.

It's rare for any 9-7 team in the AFC to make the playoffs, but don't forget the Chiefs. They're the one's that got in at 9-7 when we lost to the Niners in 2006.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

shhhhhh

We Just Need A Tru Middle Linebacker An A Rookie Running Back Mayybe We Can Luck OUt And Get The Illinois Back Mendinthall Or Whatever HIs Name is