Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Broncos Neglecting Free Agency (Long)

I understand that Shanahan and the FO want to build through the draft, but sitting back and doing nothing isn't a very good choice in MHO.

EVERY other team is signing at least one or two or more players that will make a solid impact and fill team needs. Is there any team that is ignoring FA as much as the Broncos?

I don't know about all of you, but it just seems ridiculous not to go after some high quality player when there are so many holes on this team.

For example, defensive tackle may be one of our biggest needs. It is almost a given that Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis will be gone way before our pick. After that there is a lot of risk at the DT position in the 2nd round and up.

With that being said, it really bothered me that there were a lot of great d-tackles that could have anchored our front four.

Shaun Rogers
    Kris Jenkins
    Dewayne Robertson
    Marcus Stroud

Any one of those guys (aside from maybe "lazy" Rogers) would have a chance to dominate on Denver's line. Any one of those guys can hold multiple blockers and disrupt the play. Any one of those guys could have finally brought the defense together. You ask how can one player fix the defense? Look at Tennessee with Albert Haynesworth.

Now what? We are supposed to bring in a rookie like Pat Sims, Dre Moore, or Frank Okam and hope that one of them works out? Considering DTs have one of the higher chances of being a bust, and take a couple of seasons to actually make a solid impact, I think it was very unwise not to persue a veteran player. Don't give the "We tried it with Sam Adams" excuse, because the guys I listed are all still young players.

Not only would one of those those tackles make a positive influence immediately, but he would have played a big part in the development of Marcus Thomas and whoever else we may pick up in the draft.

It just drives me insane that there was so much potential available through FA and trade, and the Broncos did nothing. Building through the draft is a great idea, but FA does not need to be ignored to do so.

Bash on me all you want, but I think the coaching staff have their heads up their @$$es not to take advantage on the talent available.

P.S. - Keary Colbert is not worth mentioning. He is nothing more than a #4 receiver behind Stokley.
    Last edited by mx_stiles13; 03-02-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Notice

Quote Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    I understand that Shanahan and the FO want to build through the draft, but sitting back and doing nothing isn't a very good choice in MHO.

EVERY other team is signing at least one or two or more players that will make a solid impact and fill team needs. Is there any team that is ignoring FA as much as the Broncos?

I don't know about all of you, but it just seems ridiculous not to go after some high quality player when there are so many holes on this team.

For example, defensive tackle may be one of our biggest needs. It is almost a given that Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis will be gone way before our pick. After that there is a lot of risk at the DT position in the 2nd round and up.

With that being said, it really bothered me that there were a lot of great d-tackles that could have anchored our front four.

Shaun Rogers
    Kris Jenkins
    Dewayne Robertson
    Marcus Stroud

Any one of those guys (aside from maybe "lazy" Rogers) would have a chance to dominate on Denver's line. Any one of those guys can hold multiple blockers and disrupt the play. Any one of those guys could have finally brought the defense together. You ask how can one player fix the defense? Look at Tennessee with Albert Haynesworth.

Now what? We are supposed to bring in a rookie like Pat Sims, Dre Moore, or Frank Okam and hope that one of them works out? Considering DTs have one of the higher chances of being a bust, and take a couple of seasons to actually make a solid impact, I think it was very unwise not to persue a veteran player. Don't give the "We tried it with Sam Adams" excuse, because the guys I listed are all still young players.

Not only would one of those those tackles make a positive influence immediately, but he would have played a big part in the development of Marcus Thomas and whoever else we may pick up in the draft.

It just drives me insane that there was so much potential available through FA and trade, and the Broncos did nothing. Building through the draft is a great idea, but FA does not need to be ignored to do so.

Bash on me all you want, but I think the coaching staff have their heads up their @$$es not to take advantage on the talent available.

P.S. - Keary Colbert is not worth mentioning. He is nothing more than a #4 receiver behind Stokley.
    I disagree......and say that he is worth mentioning.

I, too believe that he will be a backup and was brought in to be a deep threat which was sorely lacking from this offense last season.

Shanahan didn't break the bank with him. He gave him a contract that seems to be in the same neighborhood as frieking Nate Jackson.

Marshall is a great young all-around WR and Stokley is a great slot guy. However neither can really stretch a field on a hitch-n-go or fly pattern like this guy can.

Wow, I love reading all these Colbert bashing threads today, especially those Panther fans signing up just to argue over Colbert L O L.

Keary Colbert was brought in to beat out Glenn Martinez and Taylor Jacobs. So a #4 WR who will rarely see the field unless Brandon Stokely gets hurt again, then the winner (Shanny hopes Colbert) will then step up as #3.

Anyone who expects Colbert to step up as #2 or #3 WR to start the season is delusional. As we all know it well known that Shanny thinks highly of Stokley as slot #3 WR. Stokley has shown he cannot hold up physically as a #2 WR.

In essence as cheap as Colbert comes to Denver, he will be nothing more than #4 WR, emergency #3 at best to replace an injured Brandon Stokley.

P.S. for all those WR in 1st haters, It is still a very realistic possibility. McShay now has WR Devin Thomas in his top 25.

Since Shanny couldnt get a 3rd or another 2nd through trades, I wholeheartedly expect him to trade down to gain an extra pick in 2nd and/or 3rd.

Shaun Rogers
    Kris Jenkins
    Dewayne Robertson
    Marcus Stroud

A few thing to note.

#1. Shanny has addressed Free Agency many times in the past and it has burned him many times. Free agency should fill holes on the team and should not be used to build the foundation. He was using Free Agency to build the team which is more expensive and less effective. I believe the Broncos only had 15 players on their roster last year that were actually drafted by Denver which is the lowest in the NFL.

#2. Pat Bowlen himself said that Denver will not be as aggressive with FA's this year due to poor results in years past. When the boss who cuts the checks says that, what else can you do?

#3. I believe Denver only has $10 million under the cap, so even if they wanted to grab some free agents they are finacially limited.

#4. Denver's past two drafts have been great and they continue to go that route. It can take 2-3 years for draft picks to reach full potential. If they continue drafting well, the future will look bright. The draft will fully fix the problem instead of being an expensive band aid. The Redskins have been the most aggressive team in Free agency over the past 5 years and look how succesful they are. Super Bowl teams are built through the draft.

#5. Don't sweat that Denver missed out on Jenkins, Stroud and Rogers. If they were so valuable their original teams wouldn't have given them up. They are no different then McGlockton, Gardner, Adams, Kennedy and Warren. Injuries, motivation, weight, drug suspensions, system changes and age are not issues you do not want to deal with these DT's. Draft DT's that are younger, healthier and more motivated.
    Last edited by BroncoRT; 03-02-2008 at 09:19 AM.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    I disagree......and say that he is worth mentioning.

I, too believe that he will be a backup and was brought in to be a deep threat which was sorely lacking from this offense last season.

Shanahan didn't break the bank with him. He gave him a contract that seems to be in the same neighborhood as frieking Nate Jackson.

Marshall is a great young all-around WR and Stokley is a great slot guy. However neither can really stretch a field on a hitch-n-go or fly pattern like this guy can.
    You do realize that Colbert has a 4.62 40-Time right?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/36678.html

Colts, Pats, Steelers, Chargers, Packers, Bears (resigned THEIR players), Lions havent signed anyone, Cards, Bengals, Ravens, Houston, Titans, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys (resigned their FA)...

So yea we arent the least active team actually.. some of these haven't signed anyone from another team!
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

I think its pretty funny how many Panther fans have come here to tell us how "sorry" they are for us.

There must be some kind of 'passion' for this guy. How many of us have gone to other boards to talk bad about some 'scrub' and lousy player that we let go??? Why? Whats the point if he isn't any good??

Obviously, the one panther fan was right. There are a lot of people moaning and groaning simply because Colbert never reached their expectations. He was signed for depth.

you are aware 40 time is the MOST accurate thing for speed ever right?

Colbert isn't a burner but your argument is weak at best.
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT View Post

5. Don't sweat that Denver missed out on Jenkins, Stroud and Rogers. If they were so valuable their original teams wouldn't have given them up. They are no different then McGlockton, Gardner, Adams, Kennedy and Warren. Injuries, motivation, weight, drug suspensions, system changes and age are not issues you do not want to deal with these DT's. Draft them and work with the new younger, healthier and more motivated DT's.
    Not to mention cheaper
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Quote Originally Posted by JoRo View Post
    Colts, Pats, Steelers, Chargers, Packers, Bears (resigned THEIR players), Lions havent signed anyone, Cards, Bengals, Ravens, Houston, Titans, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys (resigned their FA)...

So yea we arent the least active team actually.. some of these haven't signed anyone from another team!
    So what you are saying.. is that when you include the Broncos in that list... 50% of the NFL teams have not signed a single FA. Hmmmm.... I guess we ARE the least active team in the league

Quote Originally Posted by JoRo View Post

Texans signed CB Jacque Reeves

He was someone I was hoping Denver would look at for depth. He started 13 of 16 games last year, would be good competition for nickel back, but is also an amazing special teamer.

He chose Houston because they have no secondary atm other than Fred Bennet, and possibility of starting is great, since Dunta Robinson is expected to miss most if not all next season.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT View Post
    A few thing to note.

1. Shanny has addressed Free Agency many times in the past and it has burned him many times. Free agency should fill holes on the team and should not be used to build the foundation. He was using Free Agency to build the team which is more expensive and less effective. I believe the Broncos only had 15 players on their roster last year that were actually drafted by Denver which is the lowest in the NFL.

2. Pat Bowlen himself said that Denver will not be as aggressive with FA's this year due to poor results in years past. When the boss who cuts the checks says that, what else can you do?

#3. I believe Denver only has $10 million under the cap, so even if they wanted to grab some free agents they are finacially limited.

#4. Denver's past two drafts have been great and they continue to go that route. It can take 2-3 years for draft picks to reach full potential. If they continue drafting well, the future will look bright. The draft will fully fix the problem instead of being an expensive band aid. The Redskins have been the most aggressive team in Free agency over the past 5 years and look how succesful they are. Super Bowl teams are built through the draft.

5. Don't sweat that Denver missed out on Jenkins, Stroud and Rogers. If they were so valuable their original teams wouldn't have given them up. They are no different then McGlockton, Gardner, Adams, Kennedy and Warren. Injuries, motivation, weight, drug suspensions, system changes and age are not issues you do not want to deal with these DT's. Draft them and work with the new younger, healthier and more motivated DT's.
    For #5, with Jenkins now in New York, Im almost posotive that we could work a deal out for Robertson still. He does not fall into the catagory of the others mentioned. He is 26, pretty good now, will be even better in our system, and has his prime still ahead of him.

Hopefully we are working on a deal for Robertson.

I agree that I would have liked to see us pursue one of the DT's, it being such a dire need on the team. Robertson, if we can get him to restructure, was my first choice of all those available so I'm hoping we can still work something out.

Aside from that, I think years of FA blunders have finally caught up with Denver and our lethargic approach to FA is a result of necessity as much as anything else. We can't afford to keep squandering big money on overpriced FA's or we'll end up in complete cap hell, and not be able to resign the likes of Marshall, Elvis and Scheffler when their rookie contracts run out, which would be a disaster IMO.

So the current slow approach is sensible, even if it means we may struggle again next year. If a very good, high character DT hits the market or can be had for a trade without giving up too much, then I expect us to pursue him hard, such is the need we have, but other than that we'll stay quiet I assume.

It's frustrating now, sure. But we have a young QB in Jay Cutler that has the potential to be very special. It'd be a damn shame if by the time he hits his peak in a few years that we'll have messed up our cap so badly that we can't give him the best possible support cast.

I think we'll still improve next year, nonetheless. Continuity is key and our player turnover the last 2 years has been massive. Add a few more youngsters and let this team grow together the next few years. Then, if we need to spend in FA to push them over the edge, hopefully the resources will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockies24 View Post
    For #5, with Jenkins now in New York, Im almost posotive that we could work a deal out for Robertson still. He does not fall into the catagory of the others mentioned. He is 26, pretty good now, will be even better in our system, and has his prime still ahead of him.

Hopefully we are working on a deal for Robertson.
    Two problems with Robertson. I believe he will cost about $11 million and the Jets want a second rounder for him. He is not worth that.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Sorry.........

http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/med...d-669694.shtml

This says he ran the 40 is sub 4.4.