• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freyaka
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Okay, now that I asked the question properly, I better understand the details. So yes, it is a disadvantage to the leader(s). But as you say, if they are up by a lot, they will probably gain that lead again.

Do folks see this as unfair, or has it just been generally accepted?
    It's kind of a situation where sometimes you benefit from this sometimes it hurts you. The competition is so even these days that someone could be dominant one week and be struggling the next and that extra time on pit road can make the difference to help them take a bad day and make it good.

Yes it may sometimes seem unfair but really it's a part of the sport and people benefit from it one week and get burnt by it another, just kind of the nature of things.
    sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
      Football Immortal
      • Jan 2007

I want to be clear though I am in no way anti-stewart, it's his curmudgeon attitude that I tend to love most about him (like this)

I just think he tends to complain about a lot of things and then go out there and do the exact things he's complaining about.
      sigpic

Comment

• BroncosFanInPA
        Football Immortal
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
        It's kind of a situation where sometimes you benefit from this sometimes it hurts you. The competition is so even these days that someone could be dominant one week and be struggling the next and that extra time on pit road can make the difference to help them take a bad day and make it good.

Yes it may sometimes seem unfair but really it's a part of the sport and people benefit from it one week and get burnt by it another, just kind of the nature of things.
        Speaking of being hurt by it, remember before the wave around rule in certain scenarios on restarts they would line the cars up at the tail end of the lead lap in front of the leader & the leader sometimes would be restarting in like row 7 or 8 sometimes.

Good god was that a mess & caused alot of problems, so glad that is no longer an issue & also the double file resart was a great idea as opposed to single file.
        sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          I'm not sure if I'd call it unfair. It's part of racing. Not sure what else they could do. Stagger the restart? I don't think that would work.

The time that it really hurts the lead driver is when a caution happens very late in the race. I'm talking 10 or less laps. The big lead the 1st place driver has disappears and on a restart, since anything can happen, there's more of a chance for the leader to lose the race. The late race cautions that bother me are the ones for debris. The debris that no one can see. One year, my friends from NY wore t-shirts that said "Show me the debris!". The ladies were so proud of them.
          Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
          Peanut & Freyaka explained things very well & as far as being unfair, it's the way it's always been done because as Peanut said there is basicly no other way of doing things when it comes to cautions, there is no way you could put the cars back in the actual time they were behind on the track, it would be a total mess.

Also it does help create more excitement as opposed to somebody out front cruising with a 10 second lead over 2nd place & everyone else even further back, nobody wants to watch someone run away with a race but it can happen if the race goes without a caution for a long period which is why as peanut mentioned, sometimes Nascar will throw a caution for debris even if nothing is on the track just to bunch the field back up so it doesn't get very boring.
          Originally posted by Freyaka View Post

Thanks for your responses. It does verify sort of what I was thinking, and that I didn't miss something totally in the process. I just don't watch it enough......not against it, but just not high on my already thick sports list.

BUT Judy I bolded what you said, because that's exactly what kind of bothered me when I was thinking about the levelling playing field so to speak......in the late stages of a long race, the racer who had a big lead could actually be overtaken in a short sprint situation. I don't really like that, but if that's the way the sport runs, and folks have all bought in, who am I to say.

Thx again!

Comment

• CanDB
            Football Immortal
            • Mar 2008

I don't expect you to laugh at this, but I thought it was kinda funny......

If someone from NASCAR is mad at you, and starts to chase..........just turn right.

(with that, I'm not likely going to be welcomed back here!!!)

Comment

• Freyaka
              Football Immortal
              • Jan 2007

If someone from NASCAR is mad at you, and starts to chase..........just turn right.

That probably deserves a cp when i get home.
              sigpic

Comment

• BroncosFanInPA
                Football Immortal
                • Oct 2003

Ha Ha! Not bad Can, except when they race on the road course which by the way have been some of the most exciting & entertaining races of the whole season in the last couple years.

Stop back anytime if you feel like it or if ya got any other questions on your mind, there may only be a handful of us that post in here but i would say all that do are very knowledgable of the sport.
                sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2008

Ha Ha! Not bad Can, except when they race on the road course which by the way have been some of the most exciting & entertaining races of the whole season in the last couple years.

Stop back anytime if you feel like it or if ya got any other questions on your mind, there may only be a handful of us that post in here but i would say all that do are very knowledgable of the sport.
                  Thx bud....

And if I return I can just hear James Franco now, "Members and CanDB, start posting...."

Comment

• Peanut
                    ModNut
                    • Jan 2007

Thanks for your responses. It does verify sort of what I was thinking, and that I didn't miss something totally in the process. I just don't watch it enough......not against it, but just not high on my already thick sports list.

BUT Judy I bolded what you said, because that's exactly what kind of bothered me when I was thinking about the levelling playing field so to speak......in the late stages of a long race, the racer who had a big lead could actually be overtaken in a short sprint situation. I don't really like that, but if that's the way the sport runs, and folks have all bought in, who am I to say.

Thx again!
                    I watch F1, IndyCar and NASCAR. It's the same in all of them. There's just no way to avoid it.

Come back anytime. We'll get you hooked.
                    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                      I watch F1, IndyCar and NASCAR. It's the same in all of them. There's just no way to avoid it.

Come back anytime. We'll get you hooked.
                      Hey J......did you ever think how wild these races would get if it was a two way race track!!!!!!!

And even though I am not a huge fan, I am AMAZED at the skill level!! I wouldn't even want to be a passenger, given the crazy speed and proximity to one another. "These Guys (And Gals) Are Good!!!!"

Comment

• BroncosFanInPA
                        Football Immortal
                        • Oct 2003

Well i must say i was very disappointed with the race for several reasons, first was there was not much roughing each other up especialy after all the buildup from California, i thought for sure stewart would at least bump logano but there was nothing.

Secondly, speaking of stewart, he better do something real soon if his performance doesn't pickup like get rid of addington, the day that Danica finishes in front of him & at Martinsville of all places for her first time there, it's time for changes to be made. Not to take anything away from her, she had a great race for her first trip to the paperclip but tony is better than what's going on.

And lastly, i'm sick and tired of knowing the outcome of the race before it ever starts for who is going to win. They should just rename the track Johnsonville instead of Martinsville & i'm not talkin bout the sausage either.

It's getting real old.
                        sigpic

Comment

• AZ Snake Fan
                          earthling
                          • May 2004

The first round of testing for Cup cars at Texas is complete.
                          The second round of testing will begin now.
                          It will go on for about 90 minutes. No TV coverage today.
                          Results can be viewed here:

Thanks to SPEED, tomorrow the final Cup practice will be televised at 12:30 p.m. ET, Happy Hour at 3 p.m. and Sprint Cup qualifying at 6:30 p.m.

I am looking for a good Cup race at Texas. The track is a mile and a halfer and really worn in.
                          Texas has lots of racing lane and drivers can pass from almost anywhere.
                          All these drivers and crews are beginning to grasp what the Gen 6 can do and how the air works.

The main factor will be the ambient temps during practice, quals and finally, race night.
                          The team that can adjust the best to the temps has the best chance for the trophy.

Behave yourselves drivers, be safe and have a good time in Texas !

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                          The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                          http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                          My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

• roushmartin6
                            Football Immortal
                            • May 2007

Didn't get to see the race because I had to work but listened to it on my phone with PRN, sounded like it was a good race but Truex and Busch were the class of the field. I feel bad for Truex, his team just finds ways to lose the race after dominating.
                            sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• BroncosFanInPA
                              Football Immortal
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                              Didn't get to see the race because I had to work but listened to it on my phone with PRN, sounded like it was a good race but Truex and Busch were the class of the field. I feel bad for Truex, his team just finds ways to lose the race after dominating.
                              Yeah it was a decent race i guess, Kyle is really on it this year & looks like a serious threat for the cup (Peanut smiles) & as far as Truex goes, your right he has been close alot but can't close the deal.

In fact they showed a stat that since his last win he has finished 2nd 6 times. But even had he won it would not have been the same considering his car failed post race inspection & probably will get docked points.

I'm starting to feel bad for Gordon because he has been so strong in alot of races but seems like something is always going wrong for him & they don't have the results to show for how well they are running.

And then there is my man smoke who is performing more like a dud & has been very disappointing this year. Just 1 top 10 in 7 races & can't even run in the top 20 anymore. 22nd in the points & off to the worst start to a season in his career & it's not even close.

I don't know what the heck is going on this year, i'm starting to think maybe too much emphasis was put on starting that third team with Danica & not enough focus on there own team & now it's showing, but that's just a guess on my part or then again maybe it's Addington just not being the right fit.

Either way i would not be shocked to see changes made like real soon if his performance doesn't pickup in the next race or two because the season is quickly slipping away & chances of making the chase are fading if things don't improve.
                              Last edited by BroncosFanInPA; 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• roushmartin6
                                Football Immortal
                                • May 2007

Yeah it was a decent race i guess, Kyle is really on it this year & looks like a serious threat for the cup (Peanut smiles) & as far as Truex goes, your right he has been close alot but can't close the deal.

In fact they showed a stat that since his last win he has finished 2nd 6 times. But even had he won it would not have been the same considering his car failed post race inspection & probably will get docked points.

I'm starting to feel bad for Gordon because he has been so strong in alot of races but seems like something is always going wrong for him & they don't have the results to show for how well they are running.

And then there is my man smoke who is performing more like a dud & has been very disappointing this year. Just 1 top 10 in 7 races & can't even run in the top 20 anymore. 22nd in the points & off to the worst start to a season in his career & it's not even close.

I don't know what the heck is going on this year, i'm starting to think maybe too much emphasis was put on starting that third team with Danica & not enough focus on there own team & now it's showing, but that's just a guess on my part or then again maybe it's Addington just not being the right fit.

Either way i would not be shocked to see changes made like real soon if his performance doesn't pickup in the next race or two because the season is quickly slipping away & chances of making the chase are fading if things don't improve.
                                Yea I agree, SHR as a whole is struggling big time, especially at the mile and halfs which is concerning since its the majority of the schedule. Firing Darien Grubb was also a terrible decision too that keeps haunting him. I keep holding out hope that Mark can get a couple wins this year after being so close last year.
                                sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Working...
                                X