Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 155
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952

    Defending DeSean Jackson. . .

    I thought some of those who have concerns on him might be interested.

    Keep in mind, this isn't me saying "He needs to be our guy at #12." -- but why he'd still be a solid selection if he was.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    106
    I wouldn't mind Jackson. I just hope we ransom Mendenhall to the Bears or someone behind us and get an extra mid round pick. Between Carolina, Chicago, Detroit, and Arizona, Mendenhall should be good bait to one of those teams.

    That is of course if Jackson is who Shanny wants to go after. Makes sense. We have lacked a returner for the past couple years and we need someone to compete with Kolbert for the #2. Someone who can stretch the field would really open up Marshall.

    My only concern with Jackson is that I've read (on orangemane I think) that he has attitude problems. If that is true, we don't need another headcase on the team...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,594
    Good Stuff.

    I think you're "spot on" with your analysis. And I absolutely agree that if we go OT in Round 1, that player will *likely* sit on the bench and play sparingly this season, before taking over full time for a departing Erik Pears next season.

    The thing that sticks out in my mind though is that the team has gone in this different direction as far as team building this offseason. I'd almost say that the team is not trying to "win now" but rather to build up for a future run in a season or two.

    And that is where the debate reaches its apex.

    If we are, infact, gearing up to "win now", then DeSean Jackson makes the most sense by far (outside the possibility of trading up for Dorsey or Ellis and the thinking those two particular elite DTs could dominate immediately). However, if the team is "rebuilding", and it does appear we are from recent comments, roster shakeups, and just plain still developing youth at key positions, then continuing in that rebuilding mold would suggest an OT that would hardly play this season and step in and start next year.


    Basically, I think the question we must ask ourselves is this: Are the Broncos attempting to win now, or are they planning to build for the future?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,340
    Here are my concerns with drafting DeSean Jackson. First of all, not getting hurt in college is not the same as not getting hurt in the NFL. In the NFL the players are much, much faster and much, much stronger; DeSean was so fast that it's possible he could just flat-out outrun most would-be tacklers. He won't be able to do that as much in the pros. Now you make your argument about how other players who lack 'ideal' size have found success in the NFL. While that is true, they are definitely the exception, and not the norm. Yes, players can succeed without having ideal size, but I think the point is that there is an ideal size for each position that successful, uninjured players tend to have. I do think scouts put too much stock into size, but I can see where they're coming from, it's just playing the percentages.

    Secondly I don't think DeSean is our type of receiver, to put it simply. Our system demands that WR's block since we are a run-first team in the end. And it goes back to the size thing, which is especially important for blocking. It's not always the case but typically the bigger receivers are better at blocking. And about his route-running...maybe I'm generalizing here but those types of WR's don't seem to be the best route-runners.

    However despite all of this it is undeniable that Jackson would solve our return man problems...he could very well one day be placed up there with Joshua Cribbs and Devin Hester. The question is whether or not he's worth it at #12 and forego other needs to select him.

    The NFL draft is just one huge optimization problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18,970
    Its not uncommon for a first round OL to play their rookie season. But, imo, our trenches need that player. WRs are not a 'win now' pick either.

    We see around the league that the teams that win in the trenches, are the best teams. We know that the addition of Robertson is a must. We know that the building of this OL is a must. We can't just put that off. The KRs are a need, but are they a first round need in comparison to the other BIG needs?

    I don't have anything "against" this kid... I just have a thing against his position for a 12th pick.

    One thing about the small players mentioned in Dream's article as well. They are all young. Small players like Jackson don't last LONG in the NFL.

    Let me use THIS comparison. Dante Hall. Do we expect Jackson to have the production of Dante Hall on KO returns? Great... what about receiver? Dante had all the quickness and speed you could ask from a guy. But he just could not make it as a WR because he was just too small for the NFL. They don't have the open spaces after the catch like they do on KO returns. Thus they have a 3-4 years worth of ST duty... then are traded away because they are TOO specialized to be much good to the team. Dante was just a 5th round pick, yet his price tag increased to the point of not being worthy. What do you think will happen with a 1st round pick of the same type of guy? Jackson may be a better receiver.. but he STILL is only 160 lbs in the NFL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,645
    True it is hard for OT to start as rookies.....But who do we have that will beat out one of the top 3 tackle for our starting LT spot?

    Jackson would be a terrible pick. Yeah lets waste the 12th pick on a 4th reciever at best, and a return guy? Some people just fall in love with skill guys....Just remember everyone, you cannot win without a TOp O-line

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    THE BO (Boulder) Colorado
    Posts
    821
    Those of you questioning his route running ability are just making fools of yourselves, he runs great routes, he has amazing balance, control of his body, great feet and a pretty good understanding of defensive coverages, his production dipped toward the end of the season because he was facing double and triple teams from opposing defenses, teams were forced to put a safety over the top.

    DeSean can't run routes... watch this

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    190
    DeSean Jackson is only 21 years old. He's got plenty of time to get bigger. There's no reason why under professional conditioning coaches that he couldn't add an extra 20-30 pounds and get around the 200 mark, which although isn't huge, it's pretty solid.

    People doubting his size are being paranoid.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile_High_Kiwi View Post
    DeSean Jackson is only 21 years old. He's got plenty of time to get bigger. There's no reason why under professional conditioning coaches that he couldn't add an extra 20-30 pounds and get around the 200 mark, which although isn't huge, it's pretty solid.

    People doubting his size are being paranoid.
    5-9 and 200 lbs. You don't feel this takes away from the ONE thing that separates this kid from the pack.. his speed?

    Not to mention, at Cal, he had professional training and conditioning.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    5-9 and 200 lbs. You don't feel this takes away from the ONE thing that separates this kid from the pack.. his speed?

    Not to mention, at Cal, he had professional training and conditioning.
    He's not just fast, he has heaps of skills.

    And he won't lose that much speed by adding 20 pounds. He would still be faster than anyone on our team right now.

    He's still growing, it would be only natural to add some weight to his frame.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile_High_Kiwi View Post
    He's not just fast, he has heaps of skills.

    And he won't lose that much speed by adding 20 pounds. He would still be faster than anyone on our team right now.

    He's still growing, it would be only natural to add some weight to his frame.
    He's always going to be small. When youa re 5 9 at 21, you are not going to be a big guy. He's not a big guy, and never will be. He'll put on 10, and get around 175 lbs at most.

    Either way... I personally don't want to spend the 1st round pick on a WR.

    I'm not going to judge this kid based on his size. Because I defended Dwill's size when he was drafted. But for me, it comes down to him being a WR. We just can't spend a 1st roudn pick on that this year.

    But young or not.. he's not going to put on 20-30 lbs, and isn't going to grow much

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,178
    I love the article and your writing, but I really disagree with the "win now" or "build for the future". It's not one or the other, in the NFL you are ALWAYS rebuilding. Proffesional Football is a game of replacement.

    Spygate scandal aside, the Patriots are a prime example of building through the draft and always being ready to replace. After all the hits to their secondary this offseason, they are still in pretty good shape with Harrison as a "solid" SS, Rookie Brandon Merriweather will get a chance at safety or perhaps corner, and they still have Ellis Hobbs. You can't plan on immediate impact, it's too short-sighted. It's that same thinking that has teams spending too much money in free agency on A) players that aren't worth the contract you give them, and B) Free Agency generally is not filled with young superstars, a lot of the time it's players in their late twenties, or over-the-hill players.


    To me, DeSean Jackson cannot be picked, especially at #12. The players you mention such as Maurice Jones-Drew are very young. He has been VERY productive, however he has a fantastic run-blocking offensive line and he split carries with Freddy T. As it was stated before, he is an exception, and to be honest no one knows if he can handle a full load at RB. He is a great situational player, he exceeds on special teams and in a part-time role but that may be all he ever does. On the other end of the spectrum is Reggie Bush. I was boggled by his hype, the #2 overall pick for a gadget guy? He catches well, not good enough to be a reciever. He is fast, but can't go in between the tackles or power through a defender. He can return kicks....Again, was it worth the #2 pick in the draft for a situational contributor?

    I like an OT at #12, while they may not play in their first year(debateable), our offensive line has holes to fill, and it isn't getting any younger. How many more years do we have Nalen? Hamilton? Will they return next year at a high level?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    182
    I have to disagree with you dream. I was just browsing through some of the WR player profiles on NFL.com. I looked at probably over 50 profiles and most WR were at least 200lbs. Most of the good ones, with some exceptions, were all closer to 220lbs. Buress, Moss, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Edwards, and Terrel Owens were all at least 210. Granted they are different types of WR than Desean Jackson is but even the burners like Lee Evans, Chad Johnson, Harrison, and Steve Smith were all at least 185. 15lbs is a lot for a 5ft 9in speedster to put on. While I could see Jackson being a very good return man and slot receiver, and I don't think either position is worthy of a #12 pick, I don't see him making it as a legitimate #2. He'd be a liability as a blocker, which is far too important in our run first scheme, he would probably get jammed too much at the line of scrimmage to get the separation he got in college, and he'd be an injury waiting to happen. He's just too small to be a #2 and it's not worth it to spend a first round pick on a slot guy. If we want a return man, pick up Darius Reynaud in the 4th. Same height just 30lbs heavier and tons of athleticism!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    3,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I thought some of those who have concerns on him might be interested.

    Keep in mind, this isn't me saying "He needs to be our guy at #12." -- but why he'd still be a solid selection if he was.
    It's a well written article, Dream. You touched on a lot of points that have merit.

    IMO, it wouldn't matter if Jackson was Calvin Johnson - we do not need to spend our first round pick on a WR! Does everyone want to see Marshall handed his walking papers? There's NO WAY IN HELL we re-sign Marshall to the kind of money he'll command if we spend all that cash on a 1st round WR who will NEVER be anything more than a good #2 WR/STer.

    At best, Jackson will be another Lee Evans which is nice, but not a desperate need right now - we can get a speedster WR in the 4th. More than likely, he'll end up as a Dante Hall/Roscoe Parrish type returner who is only a 3rd/4th WR.

    I'd rather see any other position taken in the first except K/P or TE. WR isn't a strength but it isn't a weakness requiring a 1st round pick, either.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Shiba Inu!
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

    Let me use THIS comparison. Dante Hall. Do we expect Jackson to have the production of Dante Hall on KO returns? Great... what about receiver? Dante had all the quickness and speed you could ask from a guy. But he just could not make it as a WR because he was just too small for the NFL. They don't have the open spaces after the catch like they do on KO returns. Thus they have a 3-4 years worth of ST duty... then are traded away because they are TOO specialized to be much good to the team. Dante was just a 5th round pick, yet his price tag increased to the point of not being worthy. What do you think will happen with a 1st round pick of the same type of guy? Jackson may be a better receiver.. but he STILL is only 160 lbs in the NFL.
    Exactly. Do we (The Broncos) really wish to spend a first round draft pick on a return man? Particularly, although I dont want a WR in the 1st, there are much better quality receivers to take, like Sweed and Kelly.


    P.S. If you happen to see this MUG, Hell yeah for wanting Chauncey Washington!


    And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •