Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub-DeuceKnight View Post
    He can learn how to be an effective blocker at his size, he might not be a great blocker but he has other skillsets that will minimize his need to block, you can send him on a PA reverse, or have him crack on safety, or send him long and someone will be forced to stay with him.

Most corners will have to give him a larger cushion anyway and then after that all he really has to do is get in the way.

And why draft a #2 wr at #12? Touchdowns thats why, not only will he score them himself on returns and as a receiver, but he will open up the passing game more for other receivers, especially Marshall who if given some space underneath is deadly after the catch and also to take some pressure of the running game because you have to worry about a reciever who is 60 yards down the field after 5 seconds
    We don't have a problem 60 yards away from the end zone. We have a problem 20 yards away in the red zone. Can Jackson help us on third and goal at the 6 yard line? I don't think so. That is where we need help. A WR who has skills and that can block will be on the field in those situations.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT View Post
    We don't have a problem 60 yards away from the end zone. We have a problem 20 yards away in the red zone. Can Jackson help us on third and goal at the 6 yard line? I don't think so. That is where we need help. A WR who has skills and that can block will be on the field in those situations.
    The problem in the red zone is more about piss poor play calling than it is player attributes.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT View Post
    If we're running a two or three receiver spread on the 6 yard line that included Jackson, I don't think our intentions are to run.

Desean jackson wont be a steady Recieving touchdown threat period he will score on reverses, and returns that is it he wont have value in the nfl as a reciever, not to mention if he does put on 15 more lbs to be avreage around steve smiths weight he will most certainly lose some time of his speed thats just simple fact. so in the end there are other WR that run 4.37 and weigh 200 plus lbs with good hands, that tells me they have game speed, can return and be a consistent #2

Djax is nothing more than A wr version of reggie bush, who ended up being a so so playmaker, but has yet to be a steady contributor.

I cant wait to see what happens if we get djax and we send him on a route and he gets hit by bob sanders or troy palumalu or he has to block one of them......oh wait i do know, injury waiting to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If we're running a two or three receiver spread on the 6 yard line that included Jackson, I don't think our intentions are to run.
    hmmm thats strange because we had some of those sets last year and still ran the ball

This debate will go on up until draft day, but I really am against drafting him. What does it matter if the player we draft doesn't play his first year? People here are so short-sighted, especially to think Jackson will contribute immediately other than in the return game. Generally speaking o-lineman sit for a while in Denver, then again generally speaking we aren't given the option of drafting one of the most complete offensive tackles in the draft with the #12 pick are we?

Just look at the past few drafts, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Levi Brown, etc... If we were to pick someone of Clady's calibur, I would put money on him seeing the field more often than Jackson.

I have nothing personal against DeSean, but here are the things that would never allow me to draft him in the first round, especially with a top 15 pick:

Size - Players of his size that succeed in the NFL are very few and far between, especially at the WR position.

Blocking - He is not a good blocker, something our #2/#3 reciever needs to be able to do.

Redzone Ability - Our offense had no problems getting the ball the length of the field, the real issue became getting the ball from the 20 yard line to the endzone. Jackson doesn't help that. Someone to help stretch the field would be a luxury, but that is something that we can fill later on in the draft.

Playing Time - It isn't too often rookie WRs move into starting roles, and if everyone here is so concerned with "immediate impact", he won't be.

Uses - He would be a special teams ace, that's about as much as I would expect from him. He may come in on certain plays designed to use his speed, but he won't be an every down contributor to the offense.

Durability - If he isn't hurt in his first year i'll be surprised, he has to pack on some weight or he'll get his ass whooped in the NFL. Being able to juke pac-10 linebackers and out run DBs is a lot different than in the NFL you won't be seeing half as many arm tackles.

Value - To me there is no special teams performer worth of a 1st round selection, not even Devin Hester. I don't like how Jackson projects as a WR into the NFL, if you want to take the "little man, big heart" stance feel free, but the odds are against him.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
    The problem in the red zone is more about piss poor play calling than it is player attributes.

You are correct, but a fast 5-9 170 lb WR who works well in space and in the open field will not help either.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

the smallest reciver that actually did anything in the top 41 recivers last year was shaun mcdonald. he ranked 28th in yds

he weighs 183 lbs, 13 more than djax does, you can bet that djax will loose some speed if he puts on 13 more lbs.

But rember it has taken shaun mcdonald 4 years to achieve this kind of production, and it was in an offense that never ran the football so oppurtunities were endless.

i dont care if djax starts right away or not thats not what i base a 1st rd pick on but a 1st round pick should bring more value to a team than return ability. if djax manges to put on another 15lbs, and keep some decent speed then okay, but untill then drafting him in the 1st rd shouldnt be an option. especailly when we only have 2 returning tackles on our current roster!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elevation INC View Post
    the smallest reciver that actually did anything in the top 41 recivers last year was shaun mcdonald. he ranked 28th in yds

he weighs 183 lbs, 13 more than djax does, you can bet that djax will loose some speed if he puts on 13 more lbs.

But rember it has taken shaun mcdonald 4 years to achieve this kind of production, and it was in an offense that never ran the football so oppurtunities were endless.

i dont care if djax starts right away or not thats not what i base a 1st rd pick on but a 1st round pick should bring more value to a team than return ability. if djax manges to put on another 15lbs, and keep some decent speed then okay, but untill then drafting him in the 1st rd shouldnt be an option. especailly when we only have 2 returning tackles on our current roster!!!!!!!!!!!
    The value just isn't there at pick 12, and he most certainly is not the BPA.

people on here may be so short sighted, but the facts remain....

Denver hasn't been to the playoffs since 2005.

Denver had it's first losing season since 1999.

Denver Broncos have gone through assistant coaches faster than the Chicago Bears go through QB's since then.

Denver let go it's GM/OC/DC before the draft and now Mike Shanahan has everything he wants. Complete control of Personnel decisions (GM) Team (HC) and OFFENSE (OC).

Mike Shanahan has the win now but build for the future mentality. How does that work? It wasn't in Free Agency or through a bunch of high profile trades.

That means it has to be done in the draft. Win now means he needs playmakers. OT/DT picked at #12 won't help him keep his job for the 2009 season. WR/RB/KR will. WR/RB/KR will help keep the offense on the field, score TD's, and win games. Playmaker's win games and get you into the playoffs. That is what Shanny needs to keep his job for 2009.

Now with all the day 2 picks that is where you build for the future OL/DL and depth

Championships are won in the trenches OL/DL.

Baby Steps. Denver isn't going to win the Super Bowl tomorrow. They need to first have a winning record, second goto the playoffs, third win a playoff game, and finally win a Super Bowl.

recap.

playmaker gets you to the playoffs. playmakers get drafted early.

shanahan needs playoffs to keep his job.

trenchman (DL/OL) win championships they can be drafted in latter rounds to help build for the future.

Can't have a future when you can't live through the present.

Quote Originally Posted by The|Snake#16 View Post
    The value just isn't there at pick 12, and he most certainly is not the BPA.

i never said he was read my post again

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
    people on here may be so short sighted, but the facts remain....

Denver hasn't been to the playoffs since 2005.

Denver had it's first losing season since 1999.

Denver Broncos have gone through assistant coaches faster than the Chicago Bears go through QB's since then.

Denver let go it's GM/OC/DC before the draft and now Mike Shanahan has everything he wants. Complete control of Personnel decisions (GM) Team (HC) and OFFENSE (OC).

Mike Shanahan has the win now but build for the future mentality. How does that work? It wasn't in Free Agency or through a bunch of high profile trades.

That means it has to be done in the draft. Win now means he needs playmakers. OT/DT picked at #12 won't help him keep his job for the 2009 season. WR/RB/KR will. WR/RB/KR will help keep the offense on the field, score TD's, and win games. Playmaker's win games and get you into the playoffs. That is what Shanny needs to keep his job for 2009.

Now with all the day 2 picks that is where you build for the future OL/DL and depth

Championships are won in the trenches OL/DL.

Baby Steps. Denver isn't going to win the Super Bowl tomorrow. They need to first have a winning record, second goto the playoffs, third win a playoff game, and finally win a Super Bowl.

recap.

playmaker gets you to the playoffs. playmakers get drafted early.

shanahan needs playoffs to keep his job.

trenchman (DL/OL) win championships they can be drafted in latter rounds to help build for the future.

Can't have a future when you can't live through the present.

Hmmmm thats what the saints thought when they drafted reggie bush, and they were in the same spot we were last year........you are right playmakers make plays and get drafted early, but a OT can be just as big a factor ask clevland.......also 170 lb players do not make your offense stay on the field, when they cant themselves because of the physicality of the nfl. i am all about getting a playmaker early but he better be bigger than 5-9 170lbs!!!!!!

cause quite frankly when is the last time you heard of a dominant playmaker that was djax size????

[QUOTE=BroncosTX77;2141928]That means it has to be done in the draft. Win now means he needs playmakers. OT/DT picked at #12 won't help him keep his job for the 2009 season. WR/RB/KR will. WR/RB/KR will help keep the offense on the field, score TD's, and win games. Playmaker's win games and get you into the playoffs. That is what Shanny needs to keep his job for 2009.QUOTE]

In that case expect Mendenhall wearing orange and blue next year.
    Made by Houshmazode

Quote Originally Posted by elevation INC View Post
    i never said he was read my post again
    Ha, I just worded it oddly but I was agreeing with you. There is no justification I can find for taking Jackson.

Also, Playmakers are drafted early? That's a no brainer, every player you draft you expect to be a playmaker. Just because Clady wouldn't be scoring touchdowns, doesn't mean he wouldn't contribute to us producing more. If Cutler is given time to throw, more WRs get open, more completed passes, more big plays, and so on. I think giving Cutler blindside protection/ a reliable pocket, AND our running backs a big offensive lineman to run behind increases our chances of scoring more than banking on an infant sized WR who would be trying to get TDs in the return game(easier said than done).

Quote Originally Posted by The|Snake#16 View Post
    Ha, I just worded it oddly but I was agreeing with you. There is no justification I can find for taking Jackson.

Also, Playmakers are drafted early? That's a no brainer, every player you draft you expect to be a playmaker. Just because Clady wouldn't be scoring touchdowns, doesn't mean he wouldn't contribute to us producing more. If Cutler is given time to throw, more WRs get open, more completed passes, more big plays, and so on. I think giving Cutler blindside protection/ a reliable pocket, AND our running backs a big offensive lineman to run behind increases our chances of scoring more than banking on an infant sized WR who would be trying to get TDs in the return game(easier said than done).

exactly very good point