Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gimme some of that football money you greedy athletes!

I think NFL players definitely do deserve to earn a lot of money. But it's getting really ridiculous now (the same applies to football over here when rugby players at the top level play a much more dangerous sport for a hell of a lot less....6 figure salaries and not 7. Or 8) and can you really justify giving rookies a $56m contract? Most 21 year olds do not know how to handle that much money (I realise it's incremental, but still) and that in itself can cause various problems.

I realise that these guys can suffer a career ender at any time. But wait a second, they're *meant* to have a university education so why shouldn't they be able to have a comfortable life after they retire?

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Are the players the only ones who are making a lot of money in the NFL?
    Is anyone trying to suggest that NFL players should settle for less money because "they CAN live on less"? What about the owners? Could THEY live on less? Why stop with NFL owners? What about the upper 1/10 of the upper 1% of Americans who have half the wealth of this country? Couldn't THEY live on less, too?

The US has been compared to Ancient Rome (after all, the Constitution was patterned on the Roman Republic). Ancient Romans enjoyed public entertainment, too. Gladiatorial games, chariot races, comedy. The main difference between those Romans and us today in regard to those "entertainments" is that they didn't pay. Admission was free. The facilities were public works that EMPLOYED laborers and craftsmen to build them, at the expense of the government.

We must be stupid compared to them. We pay out the rear for the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, etc. We vote to tax OURSELVES to build these elaborate temples of sports. If anything is wrong here, it probably isn't the athletes, but the greedy, racist, militaristic society in which we find ourselves.
    Careful, a half dozen 3 letter agencies that we know of and another half dozen that we have never heard of have just opened folders with your name on them.
    Belichick stressed Saturday that he errs on the side of caution with NFL rules

Quote Originally Posted by JTC View Post
    Careful, a half dozen 3 letter agencies that we know of and another half dozen that we have never heard of have just opened folders with your name on them.
    Rolls on the floor laughing
    Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Are the players the only ones who are making a lot of money in the NFL?
    Is anyone trying to suggest that NFL players should settle for less money because "they CAN live on less"? What about the owners? Could THEY live on less? Why stop with NFL owners? What about the upper 1/10 of the upper 1% of Americans who have half the wealth of this country? Couldn't THEY live on less, too?

The US has been compared to Ancient Rome (after all, the Constitution was patterned on the Roman Republic). Ancient Romans enjoyed public entertainment, too. Gladiatorial games, chariot races, comedy. The main difference between those Romans and us today in regard to those "entertainments" is that they didn't pay. Admission was free. The facilities were public works that EMPLOYED laborers and craftsmen to build them, at the expense of the government.

We must be stupid compared to them. We pay out the rear for the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, etc. We vote to tax OURSELVES to build these elaborate temples of sports. If anything is wrong here, it probably isn't the athletes, but the greedy, racist, militaristic society in which we find ourselves.
    how much the owners make isn't gonna affect the team in anyway. And the problem with the upper half of a percent would be a whole lot better if captain genius aka bush hasn't been such a screw up. yeah they could live on less but what are we gonna do about it? stop buying microsoft computers? don't read harry potter? stop watch movies featuring celebretites? stop listening to music? and how the heck can you compare nfl with the romans? you want to see prisoners of war convicts play football? or watch rich people race cars? actually that would be pretty cool.... I think i have a hunch that those gladiators might not have been payed that much. jsut a thought.

However, i completely agree on the part about militaristic society. Did you know that we have enough nukes to blow up the world a 100 times over? or that the money used to run the military for one day can cure like 1/4 of world hunger temporarily or something? thought that was interesting.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Quote Originally Posted by 24SuperChamp View Post
    They almost have to be money hungry....

Most NFL players careers are short lived....

Unfortunately, it's a business and they have to make as much money as quickly as possible.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos0707 View Post
    Why ?

Are there careers short lived because of injury?

Whats the difference between 10 mil and 30 mil really? Can't you live just as good on 10 mil.

Careers are short lived because football is the most brutal game on your body, not including injuries. And yes, theres a huge difference between 10 and 30 million. Anyone who says they'd opt for sum X which is < then sum Y when they could have either one, is a flat out lying r-tard.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglebronco View Post
    I'm not sure what I watched last year but it wasn't football I grew up with. I am seeing just a bunch of lazy show offs that can't even show off. Except how the Giants won the super bowl in their last drive. Now that was HEART!

Oh yeah these brothers are in it for the money first, then fame. The game of football ranks last on their "totem pole". The game is gone and college season is here to enjoy.

Any new rules this year? Has the NFL adopted flag football yet?

Yup. Lazy showoffs. You know how I know your lying? Because you still watch it. If you really felt that way you'd stop watching. So, shut up and go drink some flax seed oil or something.

I kind of have to go to games because my job requires it of me. I am someones security that is sort of special to us.

Flaxseed oil is a good idea. Brotha!
    The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglebronco View Post
    I kind of have to go to games because my job requires it of me. I am someones security that is sort of special to us.

Flaxseed oil is a good idea. Brotha!

Special as in short bus? Just wondering.

Is it just me, or are many of your comments intended to be racist, because they certainly come across that way.

Forgive me if I am wrong about this, but I get that very distinct impression.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Do you think that most of the nfl player are money hungry and greedy because we have programed them this way. We touched on this subject yesterday, on another thred and I would like to here you opinions on this subject.

I think that most NFL stars now days, play for the money and not the game. This is leading to big problems in the league. At some point money runs out and then there is no more NFL.

I think that when most children are raised now days, they are told that they must do well in football because this is the only chance in life to sucseed. Then everyone is surprised to here them say I want more money or I won’t play.

Do you agree with this or think that they learn by exsample?
    I hope you're paying attention, because I'm only going to explain this once.

The average NFL player is a normal person. They are not much different from you or me. However, there are two factors that combine to create a perception that the average NFL player only cares about money.

1) NFL players work very hard. They push their bodies to the limits to compete at the highest level. They have to travel constantly, suffer through severe injuries, put up with media and fans that rip their performance on a daily basis. And let's not forget that they have almost no job security.

2) The NFL is RICH! Don't let the owners fool you - everyone around the league is making loads of money. The NFL is at the top of the sports world and still growing.

Now, the average NFL player is paid well. Ridiculously well. And he uses these two factors to justify his own salary. He works hard, right? His peers work hard too, and they're all millionaires. So, clearly, he feels he has earned his salary through his hard work and is justified in demanding that he be properly compensated in comparison to other players. He does not feel guilty or selfish because he has earned his position at the top of the sports world. In his mind, the fruits of his labor are well-deserved and entirely appropriate.

That is what the average NFL player thinks. The average fan feels quite differently. You see, any of us would love to play in the NFL. We'd be willing to train rigorously, study film for long hours, and stay out of trouble. We'd be selfless teammates, and we'd even do it for less money. Unfortunately for us, we're not born with the requisite genetics to play football. We're not born with dads who played in the NFL and coached us from day one.

So, instead of playing in the NFL, we get real jobs. Perhaps we work in offices, in retail, in construction, in the military - whatever. And, just like NFL players, we work damn hard. And we see these guys playing a game for a living, earning tons of money, and never being happy with what they have. And many of us are spiteful over that. I know I am.

So, that's where the problem lies. The environment surrounding NFL players gives them a false sense of their own worth. They view themselves as the ones who worked the hardest to get to the top. Conversely, we see them as lucky bastards.

It sure sucks to see someone treat your dream as if they were too good for it.
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ckdaDookie.png

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

I'm just curious about the percent of people who do what -they- do on these boards for "the love of it".

I've been alot of different things in my time...an oilfield worker, a computer tech, a salesman trainer, a commodity broker.

I didnt feel any overwhelming LOVE for the "romance, grace & beauty of the oilfield"...or "to make a better world thru fully functional computers"...or "I know this saleman can -make a difference!-". I went to work because it was the best opportunity at the time, I had the apptitude for it, etc. Not because I loved it, because I needed a job.

Theres a VERY small amount of people who have the luxury of performing thier occupation, purely for "the love of it"...why should a man trained and employed as an athelete be any different? Furthermore, why should we judge them for -not- doing it purely for the love of it?

As for the commenters on the racist, militaristic, <insert other idealist rhetoric here> society you are oh-so cursed to find yourself in...theres boats, planes & automobiles heading OUT, everyday. Hop on one. Kthxbai.

T777
    "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
    I hope you're paying attention, because I'm only going to explain this once.
    (etc)

Heh, you must have been writting your reply at the same time I was writting mine. Well put, CP heading your way.

T777
    "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Trench777 View Post
    As for the commenters on the racist, militaristic, <insert other idealist rhetoric here> society you are oh-so cursed to find yourself in...theres boats, planes & automobiles heading OUT, everyday. Hop on one. Kthxbai.

T777
    'cause this is the only country with real Football, dangit! ones race, religion, education, military rank (or lack thereof), personal philosophies, whatever, doesn't make them any more American than any other citizen. some would say it is a person's civil duty to point out what's wrong with our society, bring problems to light so we can fix them. that's Democracy .

CAREFUL PEOPLE!!

Politics and Religion are banned on this forum. Too many people talking politics now. You Bush-haters are gonna make my head explode because the CoC says I can't put you in your place.

Back to Football please!

Players will make as much as they can as long as they can. Owners will make as much as they can as long as they can. The only restricting factor is how long we keep paying for it.
    I personally enjoy watching the game enough to pay for a couple of tickets a year, and watching every Broncos game. Other people watch every game. Some people have season tickets. Sure it bothers me that there are some players who don't appreciate what they've got, but they are the exception.

if it ever gets to the point where the majority of players are the greedy, selfish, whiner babies they are often portrayed to be, then the game will most likely loose it's appeal, and that is when the consumer will stop paying for it. Then and only then, will things change. Until that time, all the whining about all their money is just pointless.

By the way, MUSE, just for the record, Rugby is NOT more dangerous the NFL football. Sure your guys don't wear pads, big deal. If NFL players didn't wear pads there would be several deaths a week.
    Last edited by Bronco_Hyde; 04-24-2008 at 07:46 AM.

you're right, wrong forum. i was a couple cups of coffee in the hole this morning...

Do you think that most of the nfl player are money hungry and greedy because we have programed them this way. We touched on this subject yesterday, on another thred and I would like to here you opinions on this subject.

I think that most NFL stars now days, play for the money and not the game. This is leading to big problems in the league. At some point money runs out and then there is no more NFL.

I think that when most children are raised now days, they are told that they must do well in football because this is the only chance in life to sucseed. Then everyone is surprised to here them say I want more money or I wont play.

Do you agree with this or think that they learn by exsample?
    Hey, i work in sales and get paid very well. I don't go to work cause i like selling stuff but because of the money. Do i love it....heck no but i make bank and let's face it, make as much as you can while you can....then do what you love to do later in life. I say let them get paid as much as they can because i do. ---Don't you just love the free market--