Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Denver ranked #31 by Foxsports.com

The Denver Broncos were ranked #31 of 32 teams by Foxsports.com senior writer Alex Marvez in Draft Rankings. So what does everyone think? Do we really suck that bad at drafting?

Not gonna lie, I would have to agree with a lot of what he said.......

Here's the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...s:-Teams-25-32

31st is just baffling to me.

Clarret was not our worst mistake, he was the most publiced mistake,
    btw we took 2 people in the third round before him in the third round

Well I guess we are pretty bad. Although some players that we did draft, we did traded for others in return. (Portis for Champ, Bell/Foster for Bly)

I mean we don't have a good core of Bronco draftees on the team.

2006 was a good draft with Cutler and all, and 2007 is too early to decide.. but before that we haven't been that "great". Sure 2005 wasn't too bad either, but before that the only impact player from a draft would be DJ Williams.

Biggest mistake: Among many, the worst was selecting Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett (2005/third). Clarett went unclaimed after being waived during the preseason and is now currently serving prison time on multiple convictions.
    Sounds about right. Bro.
    The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

I thought this was a normal power rankings....I was like ***?!?!? I agree we've been terrible with drafts this decade but the past two have been solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos724 View Post
    I thought this was a normal power rankings....I was like ***?!?!? I agree we've been terrible with drafts this decade but the past two have been solid.
    So did i and i was about to say i was okay with it because rankings don't really mean jack on the field.

plus being under the radar isn't a bad thing...that just helps teams overlook what's coming at them

they can rank us wherever they want. doesn't mean anything whether we deliver on the field or not.

but draft-wise, i still don't agree.... you can't necessarily have great drafts if you're good enough not to get to have the first ten picks... and even then, Denver has managed rather well with draft picks.

who ever said you need to draft high for talent is an idiot (most likely some analyst). most of our talent and most of our SB winning team talent weren't high draft picks...so i don't know why they think that's a big deal

sure you can get amazing guys because there's a reason they're higher picks...but there are plenty of sleepers that cost WAY LESS MONEY and often deliver more.

when's the last time you saw Couch, Leinhart, Russell, Quinn do anything spectacular in the NFL?

oh yeah...they're all on the bench or has-beens (okay i gues only Couch...was he even a #1 pick? i dunno, you get my point)

who needs a #1 pick when we are always able to get awesome runningbacks on day 2? or other talent that's not necessarily a glamour position?

@rankings

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Quote Originally Posted by RealBronco View Post
    but draft-wise, i still don't agree.... you can't necessarily have great drafts if you're good enough not to get to have the first ten picks... and even then, Denver has managed rather well with draft picks.

Ya Indy and NE really suffer from those late round draft picks

Why is it so hard for Broncos fans to admit Shanny is not a very good GM. The 1st step to beating Homerism is admitting you have a problem.

1. Bad Drafts
    2. Browncos
    3. Tons of dead money every year on salary cap.

I am pretty sure no team in the NFL would offer him a GM spot if he wasn't coaching...other GMs have been fired for much much less than he has done.
    My 2011 starting defense

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Sad to say but the Broncos have always baffled me when it comes time to draft. Hopefully this year will be better and we can do some good!
    [FONT=Times New Roman]If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. --General George S. Patton [/FONT]

Fox Sports Draft Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange007 View Post
    The Denver Broncos were ranked #31 of 32 teams by Foxsports.com senior writer Alex Marvez in Draft Rankings. So what does everyone think? Do we really suck that bad at drafting?

Not gonna lie, I would have to agree with a lot of what he said.......

Here's the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...s:-Teams-25-32
    I don't place a lot of confidence in what Marvez say's. Look at his top eight. Only the Giants and the (cough) Pat's are worthy. I don't like Fox media anyway because they are far right conservatives, but that is my choosing. I read the draft news on line and in the paper just to see what these money hungry and ratings hungry writers are willing to go public with. I like to wait until the players take to the field and show what they bring to the table and what they lack before I judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler2007 View Post
    Ya Indy and NE really suffer from those late round draft picks

Why is it so hard for Broncos fans to admit Shanny is not a very good GM. The 1st step to beating Homerism is admitting you have a problem.

1. Bad Drafts
    2. Browncos
    3. Tons of dead money every year on salary cap.

I am pretty sure no team in the NFL would offer him a GM spot if he wasn't coaching...other GMs have been fired for much much less than he has done.
    That's what I'm saying. You don't need a #1 in the First round to get good picks... You're right, NE and Indy don't seem to have problems finding talent...

Quote Originally Posted by Deltagbear View Post
    Sad to say but the Broncos have always baffled me when it comes time to draft. Hopefully this year will be better and we can do some good!
    I won't sit here and say Denver is awesome at drafting, but they're not horrible. You can't call multiple season 1,000 yard rushers drafted later than the first round a horrible draft record.

Harris: 3rd round (still developing)
    Scheffler: 2nd round (turning into a stud)
    Marshall: 4th round
    D. Williams: 2nd round
    Paymah: 3rd round
    Foxworth: 3rd round (he's finally getting there)
    T. Bell: 2nd round (small but still performed while here considering)
    Griffin: 4th round (put up decent numbers while here)
    Portis: 2nd round (um....yeah)
    Putzier: 6th round (that guy was a stud)
    Hayward: 3rd round
    Hamilton: 4th round (one of our better linemen)
    Gary: 4th round (another decent back)
    Davis: 5th round (um....need i say more?)
    Chamberlain: 7th round
    Burns: 7th round
    Nalen: 7th round (yeah we basically stole this beast)
    Elam: 3rd round
    Traylor: 3rd round
    Sharpe: 7th round
    Braxton: 12th round
    Fletcher: 2nd round
    Kubiak: 8th round
    Mecklenberg: 12th round

Okay, none of these guys were first rounders. Also, I'm not saying all of them were great or turned out all that great....but while they played for us like Gary, etc they were pretty good or decent...or put up notable numbers.

Not to mention guys like Davis, Portis, Elam, Marshall, Sharpe....that were studs or will be...

and that's not including our greatest two undrafted aquisitions:

Elway and Smith. either through trade or undrafted signing.

and that doesn't even include how many 1rst rounders who have become studs for us.

So I'd say overall Denver's "not that bad" at drafting.

and before someone mistakes me and assumes i pulled that off the top of my head...

Helpful site:

http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=DEN&lg=nfl

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This made me laugh. It was because it is the truth.

How is the Raider's drafting Sebastian Janikowski a KICKER in the first round not the worst thing that team has ever done in the draft? He kick's great, but no Kicker is worth a first round pick.

Bronco Draft Picks

Quote Originally Posted by RealBronco View Post
    That's what I'm saying. You don't need a #1 in the First round to get good picks... You're right, NE and Indy don't seem to have problems finding talent...

I won't sit here and say Denver is awesome at drafting, but they're not horrible. You can't call multiple season 1,000 yard rushers drafted later than the first round a horrible draft record.

Harris: 3rd round (still developing)
    Scheffler: 2nd round (turning into a stud)
    Marshall: 4th round
    D. Williams: 2nd round
    Paymah: 3rd round
    Foxworth: 3rd round (he's finally getting there)
    T. Bell: 2nd round (small but still performed while here considering)
    Griffin: 4th round (put up decent numbers while here)
    Portis: 2nd round (um....yeah)
    Putzier: 6th round (that guy was a stud)
    Hayward: 3rd round
    Hamilton: 4th round (one of our better linemen)
    Gary: 4th round (another decent back)
    Davis: 5th round (um....need i say more?)
    Chamberlain: 7th round
    Burns: 7th round
    Nalen: 7th round (yeah we basically stole this beast)
    Elam: 3rd round
    Traylor: 3rd round
    Sharpe: 7th round
    Braxton: 12th round
    Fletcher: 2nd round
    Kubiak: 8th round
    Mecklenberg: 12th round

Okay, none of these guys were first rounders. Also, I'm not saying all of them were great or turned out all that great....but while they played for us like Gary, etc they were pretty good or decent...or put up notable numbers.

Not to mention guys like Davis, Portis, Elam, Marshall, Sharpe....that were studs or will be...

and that's not including our greatest two undrafted aquisitions:

Elway and Smith. either through trade or undrafted signing.

and that doesn't even include how many 1rst rounders who have become studs for us.

So I'd say overall Denver's "not that bad" at drafting.

and before someone mistakes me and assumes i pulled that off the top of my head...

Helpful site:

http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=DEN&lg=nfl
    It's comforting to see that we have so many draft experts in here. Too bad your not on the pay roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltagbear View Post
    I am not sure what is more baffling... Bronco drafts, or these homers that think we have a good draft record.