Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    the Hartley signing is just like the Brandon Pace UDFA signing last year. I doubt he makes the team, but it doesn't hurt to bring in another guy for competition. As for Aldridge, I feel better about his prospects. He very well could be the next Mike Bell/Selvin Young/Andre Hall and brush one of them aside as he makes it.
    Last edited by Max Power; 04-28-2008 at 05:14 PM.

From CBS Sportsline

Overview

The 2006 Lou Groza finalist struggled with his placements as a senior, but continued to show great accuracy on his field-goal attempts. During his last two seasons, he has made 91.4 percent of his three-point tries (32 of 35). His explosive leg also put 60 of 182 kickoffs into the end zone during that period, as he led the team in scoring as a junior and senior.

Hartley would conclude his Oklahoma career as the school's third-leading kick scorer with 317 points. His 47 field goals made also rank third in Sooner annals, as he set a school all-time record by making 81.03 percent of his field-goal attempts during his career.

At Carroll High School, Hartley was rated the second-best kicker in the nation by Rivals.com and the 71st-best overall player in Texas by Super Prep. He was named All-State by the Dallas Morning News, adding All-Conference and All-Region honors.

Hartley set a national record for points in a career by a kicker and established a state record for extra points in a career with 90. He was successful on 14 of his 26 field-goal attempts in 2003, including a long of 52 yards. More than 86 percent of his kickoffs went for touchbacks. He also served as the team's punter and averaged 44.3 yards per kick. He nailed 14 of his 17 field-goal attempts as a junior and hit on 11-of-13 tries in 2001.

Hartley was expecting to red-shirt in 2004 at Oklahoma, but he was pressed into duty for the final three games. He made his only field-goal attempt, a 29-yarder vs. Southern California in the Orange Bowl, adding 12 PATs. He also averaged 60.8 yards on 11 kickoffs with a pair of touchbacks.

As a sophomore, Hartley earned Big 12 Player of the Week honors vs. Baylor. He ranked second on the squad in scoring with 79 points. He connected on 14 of 22 field goals and 37 of 38 extra point attempts. He kicked off 67 times for a distance average of 58.5 yards, as 32 attempts went for touchbacks.

In 2006, the Lou Groza Award (nation's top kicker) finalist was named second-team All-Big 12 Conference. He was simply outstanding as a place-kicker, making 19 of 20 field goals and 49 of 50 PATs for a team-high 106 points. Thirty-one of his 78 kickoffs were ruled touchbacks, as he averaged 61.7 yards per attempt.

Hartley was again selected to the All-Big 12 second-team. He scored a team-high 110 points on 13 of 15 field goals and 71 of 76 extra point tries. He kicked off a career-high 104 times for a distance average of 66.8 yards and had 29 touchbacks. He also recorded five tackles (3 solos).

In four seasons at Oklahoma, Hartley scored 310 points, making 47 of 58 field goals (81.03%) and 169 of 176 extra point attempts (96.02 percent). He had two field goals blocked and a career-long 53-yarder. He kicked off 260 times for a distance average of 62.9 yards, as five of those kicks went out of bounds and 94 were for touchbacks. He had 161 kickoffs returned for a 19.3-yard average, including a 98-yard touchdown. He recorded six tackles (4 solos) and rushed once for a 6-yard gain.

Analysis

Positives: Before 2007, he was a model of consistency in all phases of his kicking game - field goals, placements and kickoffs … Has just adequate leg extension and flexibility, but drives the ball with good explosion … Needs to improve the rise of his placements and the hang time on his kickoffs, but is very accurate from either hash on intermediate field-goal tries … Has enough strength in his legs to power through the longer field-goal attempts (just not asked to do it often) … Gets enough lift on his field goals to reduce the blocks he had earlier in his career … Even with his slower kick times in 2007, he did a good job of adjusting to pressure … Gets the ball up with good lift (erratic in 2007) and is very accurate on three-point tries inside the 40-yard line … Has enough leg strength to drive his kicks through the wind … Cool under pressure and is good at blocking out field distractions … Has the functional strength to assist the coverage team as a tackler.

Negatives: Known for his consistency and accuracy, Hartley seemed to be rushing his placement kicks often in 2007, resulting in his five misses … Has good leg strength, but seemed to lack explosion behind his kickoff attempts as a senior (averaged a career-best 66.8-yard distance average, but after having just 55.1 percent of his kickoffs returned during his first three seasons, 72.1 percent of his kickoffs were returned in 2007) … Functional tackler as the last line of defense in kick coverage, but needs to do a better job of wrapping, rather than colliding with the returner (seven returners were able to gain at least another 10 yards after bouncing off his tackle attempts the last two years) … His kickoffs seemed to lose their height as a senior (his placements were also lower than his standard) and this greatly reduced his hang time (averaged 4.34 second per kickoff the first three years, but only 3.89 seconds as a senior) … Has run afoul with the coaching staff for his off-field partying and needs to show better judgment and maturity in the locker room (has been in the coach's doghouse) … The pop and drive he displayed in his kicking approach was too inconsistent as a senior and his snap-to-toe timing is just adequate (1.34-second average in 2007, compared to 1.28 in 2006).

Compares To: PHIL DAWSON-Cleveland … A model of consistency during his first three years, Hartley had a few chinks in his armor as a senior, as he uncharacteristically hit more than several kicks off the side of his foot, especially on placements, where he missed five as a senior. He got very good distance on his kickoffs, but more than a few were low, line drive types, leading to more than 70 percent of them being returned. It just seemed like he was distracted all season. He does have the leg to kick in the pro ranks, but must show that he is serious about his craft.

Agility Tests

Campus: 4.97 in the 40-yard dash … 310-pound bench press … 4.25 20-yard shuttle … 8'6" broad jump.

Combine: Did not receive an invitation.

High School

Attended Carroll (Southlake, Texas) High School, playing football for head coach Todd Dodge … Rated the second-best kicker in the nation by Rivals.com and the 71st-best overall player in Texas by Super Prep … Named All-State by the Dallas Morning News, adding All-Conference and All-Region honors … Set a national record for points in a career by a kicker and established a state record for extra points in a career with 90 … Successful on 14 of his 26 field-goal attempts in 2003, including a long of 52 yards … More than 86 percent of his kickoffs went for touchbacks … Served as the team's punter and averaged 44.3 yards per kick … Nailed 14 of his 17 field-goal attempts as a junior and hit on 11-of-13 tries in 2001.

Personal

Marketing major … Son of Bill and Cookie Hartley … Born 5/16/86 … Resides in Southlake, Texas.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

Quote Originally Posted by uhcougar View Post
    The correct spelling is Alridge, but don't worry, you're far from the first to make that mistake.

And yes, if he wasn't the fastest player in college this year, he was darn close. As I stated in another thread, it's absolutely unbelievable that his lack of size was able to prevent him from being drafted.

We call him Quick 6 down here in Houston, because he can put 6 points on the board in the blink of an eye. For example:

Quick burns the entire Oregon defense.

And again.

Check out the ridiculous move he puts on #15 in this clip.

He's an excellent kick returner, as well, using his incredible speed. He's an absolute steal for Denver as an undrafted FA.
    HOLY C R A P that dude is quick....but nice to see him break tackles as well, he will be pretty good to have, hopefully he can bring it up to the NFL level
    Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uhcougar View Post
    The correct spelling is Alridge, but don't worry, you're far from the first to make that mistake.

And yes, if he wasn't the fastest player in college this year, he was darn close. As I stated in another thread, it's absolutely unbelievable that his lack of size was able to prevent him from being drafted.

We call him Quick 6 down here in Houston, because he can put 6 points on the board in the blink of an eye. For example:

Quick burns the entire Oregon defense.

And again.

Check out the ridiculous move he puts on #15 in this clip.

He's an excellent kick returner, as well, using his incredible speed. He's an absolute steal for Denver as an undrafted FA.
    ...I think we found our own little Darren Sproles...

Ryan Torain = LT(Complete back)
    Selvin Young = Michael Turner(Amazing blazing spell back)
    Anthony Alridge = Darren Sproles(Versatile straight up burner)

Henry goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheBeast7 View Post

Henry goodbye.
    I think you're reaching on those comparisons. Badly.

"Has run afoul with the coaching staff for his off-field partying and needs to show better judgment and maturity in the locker room (has been in the coach's doghouse) … The pop and drive he displayed in his kicking approach was too inconsistent as a senior and his snap-to-toe timing is just adequate (1.34-second average in 2007, compared to 1.28 in 2006)."

That doesn't sound real good, but hopefully he's grown up and will concentrate better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
    "Has run afoul with the coaching staff for his off-field partying and needs to show better judgment and maturity in the locker room (has been in the coach's doghouse) … The pop and drive he displayed in his kicking approach was too inconsistent as a senior and his snap-to-toe timing is just adequate (1.34-second average in 2007, compared to 1.28 in 2006)."

That doesn't sound real good, but hopefully he's grown up and will concentrate better.
    Good Grief!
    The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheBeast7 View Post

Henry goodbye.
    WOW... two undrafted players and a 5th rounder is better, or as good as, some of the better/best in the NFL!!!!! Thats fantastic!

*coughs*... don't you think your orange glasses aer just a BIT too bright?

Agility Tests

Campus: 4.97 in the 40-yard dash … 310-pound bench press … 4.25 20-yard shuttle … 8'6" broad jump.
    Well that finalizes it for ME! This guy only runs a 4.97, how are we going to run our fake PAT or FG if he's this slow!?!? Forget it

Hey, I'm all for hope with the UDFAs. Especially with broncos' record with them. However, as much as I love watching Aldridge's highlights, I have to point out that he's listed at 170 pounds.

Can anybody name me a single successful NFL back at 170 pounds? I'm not talking about every down backs either, I'm talking about somebody who made an active roster as a RB (as opposed to a pure returner).

Oh well, that's just my . I'm crossing my fingers for the kid (I'm a short guy about 170 myself). I love to see the little guys overachieve!!

As for the kicker, I don't know anything about him, so I'll gladly let his performance in camp speak for itself. But that quote about the partying and dropoff in performance brings pictures of janikowski and vanderjagt (after they started to suck )

As an OU fan, I'm glad to get Hartley. With a little coaching on his execution, he could be a real winner!
    Last edited by rev_rock; 04-29-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Obviously, Alridge can (and will) gain some weight before his first NFL game. As far as guys with comprable size go:

Warrick Dunn's listed at a buck-eighty. He's done alright for himself.

Darren Sproles is listed at 181. He's had a decent first couple years as occasional RB, and a return man.

If you want to look at strict return men, Devin Hester's listed at 189. Even Teddy Ginn is a good return guy, and he's 178.

Hartley

Quote Originally Posted by smilin assasin View Post
    I'm a big OU fan and I've seen every game this kid has played. I know his numbers are good but I'm not sold on him at all.

I'm routing to be wrong but I don't believe he will make the team.

I watch every OU game too. I think Hartley will make a great kicker. I know he struggled last year, but I hear that had a lot to do with his holder.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyBronco View Post
    Sometimes coaching makes all the difference in the world. You look for guys that learn fast , adjust to situations and play with heart. Physical talents certainly don't hurt . Thats why FA's become super stars in the NFL. you just have to wait and see.

I'm totally with you. He just never had to kick in many pressure situations. Here's to hoping he's CLUTCH in hiding!

Dude, this thread is about the OU kicker that the Broncos signed.

Did any of you watch the OU-CU game in Boulder last season? That dude was booting footballs out of the endzone if I'm not mistaken. Signing him just for kickoff duty would be well worth it because that means opposing offenses would have to march 80 yards down the field if he does that. If anyone is stupid enough to run it out of the endzone, that could make it even 90 yards and those kind of drives do take a toll on the offensive lines in the altitude as well.

Jason Elam had a very strong leg coming out of college from Hawaii if you all can remember that far back. This seems very similar to how you would explain Hartley.

This is a solid pickup...nothing further needs to be said.