Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

The Strongest Arm

I've have tried to google and find out what people feel on which QBs had the strongest arms in the NFL! So I figured I would ask my new found friends here in Broncos Country. I will list my top five and then I would love to see you guys mix it up and list yours.
    1. Elway- we all remember the stories of the cross WRs would get on there chest from the tip of the ball. Plus he threw it over 70yrds from his knees.
    2. Brett Farve- The modern day gun slinger not sure how far he could throw but I do know he could throw it very hard.
    3. Jeff George- even though he wasn't a great QB we all new he could huck the ball.
    4. Tom Brady- probably reaching here but another guy that doesn't throw far but throws it very hard.
    5. Terry Bradshaw- whenever I googled strongest arm I kept getting a story that he threw the ball 100yrds in the air. He was before my time as a football fan so Im not sure but I'll throw him out there.

Honorable mention- Dan Marino, Randall Cunningham, Jemarcus Russell, Peyton Manning.
    Jay Cutler-ok I forgot but now he is on.
    I could be way off on this but lets see what you got.
    Last edited by CobyElway7; 05-06-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CobyElway7 View Post
    I've have tried to google and find out what people feel on which QBs had the strongest arms in the NFL! So I figured I would ask my new found friends here in Broncos Country. I will list my top five and then I would love to see you guys mix it up and list yours.
    1. Elway- we all remember the stories of the cross WRs would get on there chest from the tip of the ball. Plus he threw it over 70yrds from his knees.
    2. Brett Farve- The modern day gun slinger not sure how far he could throw but I do know he could throw it very hard.
    3. Jeff George- even though he wasn't a great QB we all new he could huck the ball.
    4. Tom Brady- another guy that throws far but also throws it very hard.
    5. Terry Bradshaw- whenever I googled strongest arm I kept getting a story that he threw the ball 100yrds in the air. He was before my time as a football fan so Im not sure but I'll throw him out there.

Honorable mention- Dan Marino, Randall Cunningham, Jemarcus Russell, Peyton Manning.

Many of those names belong on that list, but Brady is not one of them. His arm is strong enough, but he is not known to have a gun.

I am also very surprised you don't have Cutler on that list. Cutler and Russel probably have the strongest arms in the league right now.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Many of those names belong on that list, but Brady is not one of them. His arm is strong enough, but he is not known to have a gun.

I am also very surprised you don't have Cutler on that list. Cutler and Russel probably have the strongest arms in the league right now.
    Yeah I love Jay can't believe I left him off either. I was racking my brain and just spaced him I guess. Brady was a reach but I read an article that he throws the ball with great volocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    He's not known for it and it's not his strength. But that throw to Moss at the end of the Superbowl that Moss ALMOST caught, the 70 yarder, let's just say Brady ain't no Chad Pennington.

New schoolers need to see some clips of Daryl Lamonica. The seven step drop was his friend and he threw BOMBS. Also gotta mention Jay Schroeder.

And Dan Marino should not just get an honorable mention. He created chalk clouds from the gloves of his receivers after they caught his throws. And watching him throw tight spiral bullets at chest high for 40 yards... He deserves to be in the top-5.

Jeff George's arm was ridiculous, so was his head......wasted talent.

Tom Brady isn't even in the Top 5 of CURRENT players......

Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    Jeff George's arm was ridiculous, so was his head......wasted talent.

Tom Brady isn't even in the Top 5 of CURRENT players......
    You're exactly right. Believe it or not, in the QB Challenge of 2002, which Jake
    Plummer won, Brady and Plummer threw for exactly the same distance: 67 yards.
    They lost that one event to Peyton Manning, who threw for 68. To assume
    Brady has one of the strongest arms is an assumption borne of lack of
    knowledge.

This means that Manning also does not belong in that class.

One of the strongest arms, believe it or not, belonged to our own Craig Morton.
    More than once, the local press used the term "howitzer" in describing Morton's
    arm. That is not to say it was as strong as Elway's, but it was a cannon.

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 05-06-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    He's not known for it and it's not his strength. But that throw to Moss at the end of the Superbowl that Moss ALMOST caught, the 70 yarder, let's just say Brady ain't no Chad Pennington.

New schoolers need to see some clips of Daryl Lamonica. The seven step drop was his friend and he threw BOMBS. Also gotta mention Jay Schroeder.

And Dan Marino should not just get an honorable mention. He created chalk clouds from the gloves of his receivers after they caught his throws. And watching him throw tight spiral bullets at chest high for 40 yards... He deserves to be in the top-5.

Well said,

Michael Vick was also rumored to be able to chuck it 90 yards. I forgot about Schroeder, but he did have a gun.

While we are on the topic Elway has the longest completion through the air in the history of the league. This happened in San Diego (no, not Mile High), and went for approximately ninety yards. Have you guys seen the clip of him in high school throwing the ball from about the seven yard line on the left hash mark to approximately the 7 yard line all the way down the field on the right side line? That ball had to go atleast 95 yards in the air. If I was really motivated I would use a little geometry to figure out the distance, but...................................

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Elway... threw the ball 60 yards.. on his knees?

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    Elway... threw the ball 60 yards.. on his knees?
    Study was done: throwing on your knees does not take that much off. And Elway was an arm thrower: so even less off.

I do think he was Top's.

Marino was in top 5.

I don't have a list though...

Current (right now)

Russell
    Cutler
    P.Manning has an arm, isn't that known for it but he has one.
    Flacco is in there somewhere but he will be a waste.

I honestly donno for number 5.... Carson Palmer maybe? Leftwich has a gun....

If people say Boller I will laugh them right off the boards though... he has a "strong arm" cuz of the knee thing that was mentioned before me. He has never shown to have more than a good arm, def. not top 5 in league.
    Last edited by JoRo; 05-06-2008 at 06:57 PM.
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post

Lamonica could indeed fire the pigskin. Elway, Cutler, Joe Gilliam, Favre.
    As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

on plain arm strength would be jamarcus fat a$$ russell

Mr. Elway himself

has the strongest arm by throwing 60 yds across the field

Vinny Testaverde had a strong arm, once won one of those NFL skills challenges.
    Last edited by Clint; 05-06-2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by CobyElway7 View Post
    4. Tom Brady- another guy that throws far but also throws it very hard.

Jay Cutler-ok I forgot but now he is on.
    That's a myth on Bradshaw. No one has ever thrown the ball 100 yards. Elway
    said he once threw it 92 yards, after he was pumped and pumped for the
    info . . . he was not a braggart by any means.

Nonetheless, the cross thing was a myth, too. I remember it because I lived
    it back then (saw my first Broncos game on 9 September 1960 . . . the first
    Broncos game, and the first AFL game, ever played). It was meant as a joke,
    perpetrated by Tom Jackson, who was purposely exaggerating to emphasize
    how strong Elway's arm is. It soon became a legend.

Elway did once throw a TD pass that purportedly went about 80 yards in the
    air. As I recall (hope I'm right), it was to Eddie McCaffrey. Eddie was so far
    down the field that the CB had fallen off him, thinking it was out of Elway's
    range. Well, it would have been out of any other QB's range . . . but Elway
    put it right there, and no defender was around. I think it was against San
    Diego, if my memory serves me correct.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    That's a myth on Bradshaw. No one has ever thrown the ball 100 yards. Elway
    said he once threw it 92 yards, after he was pumped and pumped for the
    info . . . he was not a braggart by any means.

Nonetheless, the cross thing was a myth, too. I remember it because I lived
    it back then (saw my first Broncos game on 9 September 1960 . . . the first
    Broncos game, and the first AFL game, ever played). It was meant as a joke,
    perpetrated by Tom Jackson, who was purposely exaggerating to emphasize
    how strong Elway's arm is. It soon became a legend.

Elway did once throw a TD pass that purportedly went about 80 yards in the
    air. As I recall (hope I'm right), it was to Eddie McCaffrey. Eddie was so far
    down the field that the CB had fallen off him, thinking it was out of Elway's
    range. Well, it would have been out of any other QB's range . . . but Elway
    put it right there, and no defender was around. I think it was against San
    Diego, if my memory serves me correct.

-----
    the cross is a mystery of the christian faith..... maybe God was with elway?
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM