Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chargers UFA's after next 3 seasons

The team which has been dominating our division for the past few year's has some major personnel challenges to contend with coming up with a lot of their core young players approaching unrestricted free agency.
    After the 2008 season: Binn, Goff, Olshansky, Sproles.
    After the 2009 season: Castillo, Chambers, Jackson, McNeill, Osgood, Rivers, Merriman, Whitehurst.
    After the 2010 season: Cromartie, Gates.
    A.J. Smith has done a great job acquiring all this talent. Now let's see if they can keep it all.

ladies and gentleman, let the Chargers' downhill fall BEGIN!!!

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

I can't wait for the Chargers to go away again. Remember last time? With that Natron Means crap? Dizzang I hated Natron Means. At least Ladainian isn't obnoxious. He's just a little smurf hiding behind offensive lineman. Can't hate the little guy.

I don't see any really massive problems for them next offseason to be perfectly honest, but after 2009 could be a different story.

Starting QB, best pass rusher, starting LT, #1 and #2 WR's and a couple of other solid players all UFA's in the same year, that's going to be tough to deal with. Tomlinson will also likely have lost a step by that point as well so it'll be a real challenge for them. Jamal Williams is getting on as well.

They have 2 years left with THIS team, and I don't think that anyone can really argue that for the next 2 years they have to be considered one of the most likely teams to win the Superbowl. Much hinges on Norv Turner. Their team is good enough to win the Superbowl, no doubt. But it still needs doing.

After that, odds are they'll see a bit of a decline in their talent levels. It's simply not possible to keep that team together beyond the next few years. That said, they should still have enough good players to remain competitive, and if they can draft well next offseason and beyond of course they can remain contenders.

History suggest that it goes in cycles however, and you generally only get a certain window to get those Lombardi's, unless you have a truly elite QB.

Rivers is a lot better than some on here give him credit for, but he's no Brady/Manning. I don't think he can carry a team with average talent levels around him, so for San Diego that window may be starting to close.

I'd consider the only players that will remain a lock to remain in San Diego would be Rivers, Merriman and possibly Gates. Cromartie is as good as gone when he hits the FA market.

if you think they'll let cro hit FA you're retarded

Hardly. Cromartie is quickly setting himself up for a contract fatter than nate Clements received from the 49ers. Do you really think AJ Smith is going to give a CB over 100 million?

I look at it this way. If Jared Allen just got over $70 million, I wouldn't doubt that Merriman can get $80 or $85 million. Marcus McNeill is already a 2 time pro bowler. His contract is going to be sky high. Not sure of the exact number but it will be much larger than what all of these guards have gotten recently. Will get pretty close to $10 million or more a season. Philip Rivers is going to get more than Romo and Bulger have gotten in the past year and both of them got a truckload of money. Castillo and Olshansky won't command top money but they will still cost quite abit. If Justin Smith can get a 6 year, $45 million contract to play 3-4 DE It's going to be interesting to see what these 2 can get considering both are easily better than Justin Smith. Cromartie will likely get close to $90 million when his time comes. Vincent Jackson isn't a top receiver but if the Chargers won't pay him somebody else will.

Don't see how they are going to do it.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

I see them resigning Olshansky in 2008, Castillo, McNeil and Merriman in 09, and Cromartie in '10.

Gates, Chambers and Jackson might get resigned, but I could see the chargers letting them walk in the future.

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

Bolts will be working hard to extend some of the players in the coming months. I expect Merriman to get tagged. Same with Cro I expect the Bolts to lose at least two big name players. Merriman and Cro are guaranteed to command insane money so I have a hard time seeing how the Bolts can keep them. Bolts have a young beast of a OLB named Tucker waiting in the wings if need be. If the salary cap goes way, I think it it could help the Bolts initially. Jackson, Oshansky, Chambers, McNeil might be gone if they push for too much money. Look what it cost to keep Deihlman.....With the cap, extensions and tagging is the best hope to hold onto as much talent as they can. Smith will do his best...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust View Post
    I see them resigning Olshansky in 2008, Castillo, McNeil and Merriman in 09, and Cromartie in '10.

Gates, Chambers and Jackson might get resigned, but I could see the chargers letting them walk in the future.
    And what about Rivers?
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniptilla View Post
    Bolts will be working hard to extend some of the players in the coming months. I expect Merriman to get tagged. Same with Cro I expect the Bolts to lose at least two big name players. Merriman and Cro are guaranteed to command insane money so I have a hard time seeing how the Bolts can keep them. Bolts have a young beast of a OLB named Tucker waiting in the wings if need be. If the salary cap goes way, I think it it could help the Bolts initially. Jackson, Oshansky, Chambers, McNeil might be gone if they push for too much money. Look what it cost to keep Deihlman.....With the cap, extensions and tagging is the best hope to hold onto as much talent as they can. Smith will do his best...
    I don't see how the salary cap going away can help the Chargers. Forbes ranks the Chargers as the 26th most valuable franchise in the NFL and you have the 2nd oldest stadium in the NFL. The city is refusing to use taxpayer money to build a new stadium. You guys have alot of financial issues coming up. The salary cap going away would hurt the Chargers.

I also wouldn't call Jyles Tucker a beast just because he had 3 sacks against Oakland. Vonnie Holiday had 3 sacks against San Diego in his first game as a Chief and then he never did anything else for us. One big game does not make a player a beast.

The Chargers have a lot of cap room, so expect them to begin working out deals for several of these guys in the next few months. AJ Smith had the foresight to lock up solid starters like Phillips, Jammer, Dielman, Cooper and Wilhelm to long-term deals before they got too expensive. I would expect Smith to do the same with VJ, Rivers and a few others because the closer they get to free-agency, the harder it is to re-sign them.

The Chargers will probably have to use the franchise tag on Merriman and/or Cro when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
    And what about Rivers?
    they will spend A TON of money on him and then the next season realize "damn this guy sucks big time!"

the thing thats crazy is most of the charger fans expect all these big stars to simply stay with the bolts for less money, just cause aj is there.

not feasible, in reality you can only tag one per season so in 09 ..probably merriman....rivers i expect will stay for less because he knows a good think he's got going in LT, the defense and gates.....but its unrealistic to think that even tagged merriman will sign a extentions with the fact he can enter free agency and really get paid, and be set up for life.

its simply childrens dreams to believe they can keep them all

AJ: look mcneil..we just tagged shawn...will you sign an extension for less money then the market is getting?....i know you can go away and get a 50 mill contract...but hey will you stay for half that

mcneail:..kiss my butt...i wanna get paid, the shelf life of a player is short i need to make mine now