Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp View Post
    Actually Royal is the strongest WR in the draft... C'mon now, if your gonna come argue in the draft section at least know what your talking about.

1) You cant question Shanny here, everything he does is 100% correct and almost EVERY Bronco fan will use that as their only justification. "Shanny knows more than you, so he is right and your wrong." I think given 50 scouts, about 10 - 13 out of 32 true football fans could make a good enough draft that would pass for an NFL team. But hey, what do I know, I'm not Shanny (cuz he has NEVER screwed up a draft pick, especially at WR).

2) I dont think Royal will ever be a #2 WR because he is not Steve Smith so therefor his size will become a huge problem. He doesnt have "great" hands as someone mentioned earlier. Oh, and along with his great 33 catches, 437 yards, and 4 TDs he had a QB with a rating of like 122.0 throwing him the ball. There was another VT WR in the draft that outperformed him yet went later.

3) Royal might be a good slot WR or he might be just average. He might be a good returner, or he might just be average. I dont see a 2nd WR at all though.

I agree with you for the most part, Shanny has his reasons for every pick and we as the fans probably won't ever know the full story and most of the time Shanny hits with his picks. BUT you cannot say that he has never made his mistakes. Darius Watts? - there's your screw up at WR. and George Foster was a miss too. Every coach/ drafting personel will make some picks that the fans will look back at and say "Why?", but at the time those people were drafted I'm sure Shanny had some legit reasons.

Won't happen this year, if he can contribute as a returner for now I'm sure the team will be happy.

He should spend time with on of the greatest slot receivers, Brandon Stokely, right now and learn his position.

Quote Originally Posted by berlownacyo7s View Post
    I agree with you for the most part, Shanny has his reasons for every pick and we as the fans probably won't ever know the full story and most of the time Shanny hits with his picks. BUT you cannot say that he has never made his mistakes. Darius Watts? - there's your screw up at WR. and George Foster was a miss too. Every coach/ drafting personel will make some picks that the fans will look back at and say "Why?", but at the time those people were drafted I'm sure Shanny had some legit reasons.
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=396

22 0f the 91 players on this roster were drafted by Mike Shanahan, and if they all make the team, that'll still be just 42% of the final roster. So considering 9 of those players were just drafted THIS year, I'd say your assessment is a bit generous......

Quote Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
    If he was so good then his best season in college wouldn't have been a mere 33 catches for 496 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Possibly the best wide out taken in the draft? Based on what?
    So Kmart- Member last year when I said LJ was gonna have a down year?

Ready for you to eat some crow homie
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=396

22 0f the 91 players on this roster were drafted by Mike Shanahan, and if they all make the team, that'll still be just 42% of the final roster. So considering 9 of those players were just drafted THIS year, I'd say your assessment is a bit generous......
    Just two questions:

1. Of all that are not on the team now, what were the circumstances of their respective departures?

2. How does that number stack up across the league?

-----

If he was so good then his best season in college wouldn't have been a mere 33 catches for 496 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Possibly the best wide out taken in the draft? Based on what?
    here are the passing stats for the ACC last year PASS OFFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Boston College...... 14 659 390 19 59.2 4535 6.9 31 323.9
    2. NC State............ 12 502 281 23 56.0 2948 5.9 14 245.7
    3. Clemson............. 13 455 295 6 64.8 3147 6.9 30 242.1
    4. Florida State....... 13 466 256 10 54.9 3143 6.7 15 241.8
    5. North Carolina...... 12 368 220 19 59.8 2714 7.4 15 226.2
    6. Duke................ 12 383 210 10 54.8 2485 6.5 21 207.1
    7. Maryland............ 13 346 223 11 64.5 2644 7.6 9 203.4
    8. Wake Forest......... 13 392 279 16 71.2 2563 6.5 13 197.2
    9. Virginia Tech....... 14 379 219 10 57.8 2756 7.3 17 196.9
    10.Virginia............ 13 428 250 10 58.4 2532 5.9 14 194.8
    11.Georgia Tech........ 13 363 179 12 49.3 2413 6.6 10 185.6
    12.Miami............... 12 301 161 20 53.5 2034 6.8 16 169.5

The whole VT team only had 2756 passing yards for the year. Royal's 496 (15 yard avg) is about 20% of that..not too shabby. They also had 2 quarterbacks that not only rotated from possession to possession but sometimes just came in for 1 play.

One QB, Glennon threw for 1700 yards and their leading receiver only had 41 catches for 635 yards. their second QB, Taylor had more rushing attempts than completions How can receivers and qb's get in a rhythm like that. This wasn't exactly a pass happy offense. Without a QB to throw the ball it's hard for a WR to standout. One of the things that many people talked about around the draft was the lack of skill in general for the receivers in the draft to beat press coverage including limas sweed and other big name receivers. Royal was considered the best in the draft at that..beating press coverage. By the way...last year he had 8 rushing attempts for 112 yards a 14 yard average. I'll take my chances with him on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by JoRo View Post
    So Kmart- Member last year when I said LJ was gonna have a down year?

Ready for you to eat some crow homie
    Not really. If his offensive line wasn't just about the worst in the NFL I seriously doubt his year would have turned out the way it did. And his injury was a freak injury that in no way can be attributed to his heavy workload the year before.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Royal will be a #2, maybe by this time next year. He is the Steve Smith of the AFC... He seems to always get open...thats the strength of beating the press. I'll bet he'll even stop returning kicks, he will be that important to the team as a wide-out. Mike couldn't of scripted the first two picks...If Clady was gone I'll bet mike may have taken Royal, then waited till the second to pick up OT. Perfect one, two... thats why he drafted Jack as well he's not only a very good DB...BUt HE IS AN OUTSTANDING RETURN MAN...Go figure...Check out some of his stats in returningAs a senior, Williams earned All-Mid American Conference second-team honors. He missed the Temple game and the second half of the Northern Illinois clash with a shoulder sprain suffered making a tackle vs. NIU. He produced a career-high 93 tackles (70 solo), ranking second on the team. He added 6.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage, recovering two fumbles and causing another. He picked off three passes, knocked down eight others and averaged 23.5 yards on four kickoff returns.

In 44 games at Kent State, Williams started 37 contests. He recorded 245 tackles (167 solo), three sacks for minus-26 yards, 14.5 stops for losses of 53 yards and a pair of quarterback pressures. He caused and recovered seven fumbles and also blocked one punt. He deflected 25 passes and gained 209 yards with two touchdowns on 13 pass thefts (16.1-yard average). He also returned twelve kickoffs for 252 yards (21.0-yard average).

Career Notes
    Adopted By: PowderAddict

royal is a great reciever, he didn't have a productive college season cause of horrible QB play. plus hes got all the tools exept size, speed, agility, strength, hands, to be a great reciever, just need a few games to get use to the offense. next year, when our one year loan recievers (djax and parker) are possibly gone, look for royal to emerge. plus he'll continue to get better since the only thing hes missing is great route running and everyone gets better at that over time.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Smile KC Fools.....

How can fans of a team that hasn't had a productive WR forever give valid comments about a Bronco receiver? Their TE is the only decent proven receiver on the team. IF is a word. IF the Bronco's hadn't lost half of their O-Line, who knows what their record could have been. Johnson still had a down year, whatever the reason. I hear the crow in KC is good with a lot of barbeque sauce. I do believe that the Broncos swept the Chefs last season and the QB situation still hasn't been settled. If Coyle is the answer, I'm sure the Broncos will appreciate that decision. With so many holes to fill (top 5 pick) you would think that the Chef fans would use their time to help their team instead of whining about the Broncos. KC had a good draft, but did not repair their QB or O-Line problems.

Royal will fill a much needed roll in Denver.
    He will make the roster. Shanny has said as much in his last interview. How much of an impact he will make remains to be seen, but I imagine we will see plenty of him on ST.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

While I love all the optimism, it's simply too early to tell.

Of all the positions, I feel that receiver is the hardest to judge and has the biggest number of busts. Some extremely hot prospects coming out of college become mediocre pros or, worse, flop entirely while others with question marks find their niche in the pros and become superstars.

In my opinion, Royal was drafted for special teams first and with the hope that he can be developed into a good pro with proper coaching and training. He's supposed to have a great work ethic and have some good raw skills that could be developed into a really good receiver.

If Royal boosts our return game and becomes a decent backup receiver, I'll be happy. If he develops into a really good receiver, that'll be fantastic. But I think it's way too early to judge him.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler=Elway View Post
    Royal will be a #2, maybe by this time next year. He is the Steve Smith of the AFC... He seems to always get open...thats the strength of beating the press. I'll bet he'll even stop returning kicks, he will be that important to the team as a wide-out. Mike couldn't of scripted the first two picks...If Clady was gone I'll bet mike may have taken Royal, then waited till the second to pick up OT. Perfect one, two... thats why he drafted Jack as well he's not only a very good DB...BUt HE IS AN OUTSTANDING RETURN MAN...Go figure...Check out some of his stats in returningAs a senior, Williams earned All-Mid American Conference second-team honors. He missed the Temple game and the second half of the Northern Illinois clash with a shoulder sprain suffered making a tackle vs. NIU. He produced a career-high 93 tackles (70 solo), ranking second on the team. He added 6.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage, recovering two fumbles and causing another. He picked off three passes, knocked down eight others and averaged 23.5 yards on four kickoff returns.

In 44 games at Kent State, Williams started 37 contests. He recorded 245 tackles (167 solo), three sacks for minus-26 yards, 14.5 stops for losses of 53 yards and a pair of quarterback pressures. He caused and recovered seven fumbles and also blocked one punt. He deflected 25 passes and gained 209 yards with two touchdowns on 13 pass thefts (16.1-yard average). He also returned twelve kickoffs for 252 yards (21.0-yard average).

Career Notes
    Again, if Royal seemed to always get open he would have put up much better stats in college. I don't care if he was on a limited passing offense, playmakers find ways to make plays. The Chiefs offense was horrible last year but that didn't stop Tony Gonzalez from having over 1,000 yards and Dwayne Bowe having 995 yards as a rookie. Plus, always getting open in college is a big difference from getting open in the NFL.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado69 View Post
    How can fans of a team that hasn't had a productive WR forever give valid comments about a Bronco receiver? Their TE is the only decent proven receiver on the team. IF is a word. IF the Bronco's hadn't lost half of their O-Line, who knows what their record could have been. Johnson still had a down year, whatever the reason. I hear the crow in KC is good with a lot of barbeque sauce. I do believe that the Broncos swept the Chefs last season and the QB situation still hasn't been settled. If Coyle is the answer, I'm sure the Broncos will appreciate that decision. With so many holes to fill (top 5 pick) you would think that the Chef fans would use their time to help their team instead of whining about the Broncos. KC had a good draft, but did not repair their QB or O-Line problems.
    You ever heard of Dwayne Bowe? 70 catches, 995 yards, 5 touchdowns AS A ROOKIE!!! Your right, we haven't had a productive receiver in forever. Compare those to Brandon Marshall's rookie numbers and get back to me.

We didn't repair our O-line problems? I guess taking Branden Albert in the 1st and Barry Richardson in the 6th won't help at all. And signing 2 or 3 tackles won't help. And I guess our young guys who didn't contribute last year will never develop.

Again, if Royal seemed to always get open he would have put up much better stats in college. I don't care if he was on a limited passing offense, playmakers find ways to make plays. The Chiefs offense was horrible last year but that didn't stop Tony Gonzalez from having over 1,000 yards and Dwayne Bowe having 995 yards as a rookie. Plus, always getting open in college is a big difference from getting open in the NFL.
    You ever heard of Dwayne Bowe? 70 catches, 995 yards, 5 touchdowns AS A ROOKIE!!! Your right, we haven't had a productive receiver in forever. Compare those to Brandon Marshall's rookie numbers and get back to me.

We didn't repair our O-line problems? I guess taking Branden Albert in the 1st and Barry Richardson in the 6th won't help at all. And signing 2 or 3 tackles won't help. And I guess our young guys who didn't contribute last year will never develop.
    And there's a big difference in blocking in college as opposed to the NFL, too.

And if your young guys didn't contribute last year, I don't see them helping
    much in the future. Ours did . . . all of ours, except Moss because of his
    injury. They didn't play like three-year veterans, of course, but they did
    contribute.

We'll just have to see how your young guys pan out. But even if four or five
    of them do develop, that will fix only that many of the 22 holes you have on
    your team.

-----