Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chiefs to release Greg Wesley...

...which is relevant only because of a rumor Denver tried to trade for him last month.

"As a team firmly in the throes of rebuilding, it would have been nice if they’d pulled the trigger on a rumored deal with Denver that would have netted them a fourth-rounder in April but, either way, it’s time to move on from a player that’s not going to be part of the next good team in K.C."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...elease-wesley/

Which begs the question, do we have any interest in this guy?

I would have to say no...the guys we have are going to compete well and I think we are pretty deep at safety now.

No.

Next.

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    No.

Next.
    I love how you make these definitive statements as if you're the one making the decision. Although you may be correct you don't have any information to back up you statement. Is it possible Wesley is better than somebody we have on the roster? Why yes, it is. Of course, it's also possible that he's not. But clearly the Broncos have shown interest in him so it shouldn't be completely ruled out.

"Wesley, 30, was drafted by the Chiefs in 2000 and became an immediate starter. He lost his starting spot last season when the Chiefs moved Page and Pollard into the lineup.

The Chiefs have spent much of the last year and a half trying to trade Wesley and almost had a deal with the Denver Broncos last year. That would have brought the Chiefs a fourth-round pick, but they backed out, not wishing to send Wesley to a division rival.

The teams talked again this year, and the Chiefs asked for cornerback Karl Paymah — but the Broncos declined."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/619002.html

Is he cheap? I'd take him for cheap. It's not like we only look for pro-bowlers in free agency. Lynch gets hurt and that leaves Hamza and some dudes. I wouldn't mind Hamza, Wesley and some dudes on the depth chart.
    KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyTony View Post
    I love how you make these definitive statements as if you're the one making the decision. Although you may be correct you don't have any information to back up you statement.
    You can use the search button and look at the 20 other threads on Greg Wesley and the Broncos.

You'll find my information there.

I normally give short shrift to threads like this, but since the Broncos were interested in him at one point, it is a possibility (albeit remote) that they would look at him. I don't know that he is needed at this point, but as both Skinny and Kaylore point out, there may be reasons for a looksee.

The question that begs to be asked is, why couldn't KC trade him?

It may not be a matter of us wanting him as much as it would be him wanting to come into a situation where we have the depth that we do at safety.

Would he be willing to come in and compete with the four top guys we have now and would he even be an upgrade over any of those guys?

If it were me... I'd want to be somewhere where I would have a better chance of starting and/or even making the team.

if he's a cap-friendly signing that would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
    I normally give short shrift to threads like this, but since the Broncos were interested in him at one point, it is a possibility (albeit remote) that they would look at him. I don't know that he is needed at this point, but as both Skinny and Kaylore point out, there may be reasons for a looksee.

The question that begs to be asked is, why couldn't KC trade him?
    Maybe he's washed up but I really don't know. I recall him being a pretty good player a few years ago and I'm surprised that at only 30 he would've declined so much if that's the case. Don't we have any KC trolls on here to give us the lowdown?!?

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    You can use the search button and look at the 20 other threads on Greg Wesley and the Broncos.

You'll find my information there.
    Great, thanks, and hopefully I'll find many thoughtfull, informative posts just like those you've provided here...

I don't see why it would hurt to look at a guy with 29 career INTs during training camp.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DB4life[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyTony View Post
    ...which is relevant only because of a rumor Denver tried to trade for him last month.

"As a team firmly in the throes of rebuilding, it would have been nice if they’d pulled the trigger on a rumored deal with Denver that would have netted them a fourth-rounder in April but, either way, it’s time to move on from a player that’s not going to be part of the next good team in K.C."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...elease-wesley/

Which begs the question, do we have any interest in this guy?
    We're deep enough at safety already with Lynch, McCree, Manuel, Abdullah(sp?) and the rookie Barrett! Hope I didn't miss anyone. Wesley is already 30, I would pass.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=373387&type=sigpic&dateline=1325481226

BRONCOS!

HOKIES

GO STL CARDINALS!!!
    11 TIME CHAMPS!!!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.– John 3: 16 (KJV)

I love these rumored deals, hands up quick if you remember when we were sending a 2nd rounder and Foxworth to Detroit for Shaun Rogers or a high pick for Dewayne Robertson.

My first instinct when I see a journalist write about a rumored trade like that is that the Broncos called the Chiefs and said, so is Wesley available, the Chiefs said, for the right price and the Broncos said, okay we will talk later. That was a trade rumor, then you just need to figure out what is going the other way, we had a couple of 4th rounders so probably one of those and boom it is in the paper, it was never true, but it made the paper.

No, if you can't hold on to your job when the competition is Pollard and Page, a couple of underwhelming safeties, you have no business here. I have no doubt Wesley could compete in TC, but he is just not good enough in coverage, he is not a good tackler and he will not be part of a strong team for years to come because of his age.

For those mentioning age as a factor I just want to point out that Lynch will turn 37 early in the season, McCree is 31, and Manuel will be 29. In other words, Wesley is younger than two of these three. The real question is whether or not he's better than any of the three...