Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Next year is the time for a 3-4 and Mt. Cody

Our best defenses historically have been 3-4, the Orange Crush in the 70's and the Meck led defense in the 80's. Both defenses got us to the Superbowl.

We've spent more than a decade trying to find 4 decent DLs to build a line, and haven't had much success.

On the other hand, we've done pretty well finding LBs during the same time period.

Logic says, if you can't find 4 DLs, that finding 3 would be easier...

Here's what I'd do...I'd draft Terrence Cody from Bama to play NT. He's 6'5" and 360+ and atheletic enough that he can dunk. Plus, he's playing well for Bama.

This is a pretty funny video of Mt. Cody...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lURR7EC8Zc

Now, you move Marcus Thomas to DE. He should be a pretty good DE in a 3-4. That leaves just the other DE to be filled. One of our guys could probably do the job, such as Ekuban, Crowder, etc. with Elvis used on passing downs.

Move Moss to OL and draft some more LBs.

LBs are easier to find and grade than DLs. Plus, when you run a 3-4 you keep extra LBs, which instantly improves special teams, as well.

I'm not talking about the 3-4 "prevent" we saw against N.O., but a real, aggressive 3-4.

For coaching, move Dennison back to D and let him be the D coordinator. He played in the 3-4 here for a long time. We also have Jim Ryan, another LB that played here in the 3-4.

Even better, "hopefully" Wade Phillips will be fired and we can re-hire him.

I'm tired of trying to find DLs. If you can never find 4 of them, maybe it's time to change the D to a 3-4. Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. How long do we keep trying to build a four-man line with little or no success?

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Our best defenses historically have been 3-4, the Orange Crush in the 70's and the Meck led defense in the 80's. Both defenses got us to the Superbowl.

We've spent more than a decade trying to find 4 decent DLs to build a line, and haven't had much success.

On the other hand, we've done pretty well finding LBs during the same time period.

Logic says, if you can't find 4 DLs, that finding 3 would be easier...

Here's what I'd do...I'd draft Terrence Cody from Bama to play NT. He's 6'5" and 360+ and atheletic enough that he can dunk. Plus, he's playing well for Bama.

This is a pretty funny video of Mt. Cody...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lURR7EC8Zc

Now, you move Marcus Thomas to DE. He should be a pretty good DE in a 3-4. That leaves just the other DE to be filled. One of our guys could probably do the job, such as Ekuban, Crowder, etc. with Elvis used on passing downs.

LBs are easier to find and grade than DLs. Plus, when you run a 3-4 you keep extra LBs, which instantly improves special teams, as well.

I'm not talking about the 3-4 "prevent" we saw against N.O., but a real, aggressive 3-4.

For coaching, move Dennison back to D and let him be the D coordinator. He played in the 3-4 here for a long time. We also have Jim Ryan, another LB that played here in the 3-4.

Even better, "hopefully" Wade Phillips will be fired and we can re-hire him.

I'm tired of trying to find DLs. If you can never find 4 of them, maybe it's time to change the D to a 3-4. Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. How long do we keep trying to build a four-man line with little or no success?
    I was watching some of the game against Arkansas this weekend and I know this kid is supposed to be impressive but he seems rather slow to me. I'm not sure he can get through an nfl quality oline just yet though he would probably be a great run stopper

The only real big problem Denver might have with going to the 3-4 is the fact that we'd need a super huge/strong/stout DT to hold up his spot in the middle. The guy you mentioned from Alabama doesn't sound too bad, though I'll admit I don't know much about him. Oh and to elaborate on the previous post about the guy being slow and not being able to get through an NFL oline, well the good thing about a 3-4 is he won't be expected to. The NT's job in a 3-4 is way different than their job in the 4-3.

At this point I wouldn't be against trying it, what could it hurt? I know people here are going to go into a frenzy about how it would take us too long to build it and whatnot, but at this point I don't think it would hurt to try.

Denver has been trying to improve their traditional 4-3 defense for years now without much success, if anything its like we get worse and worse every season. So why not try something different and hope it brings you some kind of success? Our defensive line is horrible and it really shows absolutely no signs of improvement. So..

I'd be interested in seeing how Doom and Moss could convert to LB's for a 3-4type system. But Finding the 3 DT's for that system would be a stretch I think. Agianst the Saints it looked like we were trying to play a 3-4 lol.
    http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...llisSalute.jpg

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    The only real big problem Denver might have with going to the 3-4 is the fact that we'd need a super huge/strong/stout DT to hold up his spot in the middle. The guy you mentioned from Alabama doesn't sound too bad, though I'll admit I don't know much about him. Oh and to elaborate on the previous post about the guy being slow and not being able to get through an NFL oline, well the good thing about a 3-4 is he won't be expected to. The NT's job in a 3-4 is way different than their job in the 4-3.

At this point I wouldn't be against trying it, what could it hurt? I know people here are going to go into a frenzy about how it would take us too long to build it and whatnot, but at this point I don't think it would hurt to try.

Denver has been trying to improve their traditional 4-3 defense for years now without much success, if anything its like we get worse and worse every season. So why not try something different and hope it brings you some kind of success? Our defensive line is horrible and it really shows absolutely no signs of improvement. So..
    I'm definitely game for trying something new. like you said obviously our other changes aren't working too well. I don't know much about a 3-4 cuz almost no one but pittsburgh plays it. So I don't think there would be too much of an uproar about it

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I'm definitely game for trying something new. like you said obviously our other changes aren't working too well. I don't know much about a 3-4 cuz almost no one but pittsburgh plays it. So I don't think there would be too much of an uproar about it
    There's actually quite a few who either play it completely or play some variation of it. You'd be surprised.

Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas, New England, San Diego, I think the 49ers are trying to convert to it to with baby steps.
    Last edited by Spyder; 09-22-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    There's actually quite a few who either play it completely or play some variation of it. You'd be surprised.

Pittsburgh, Miami, Dallas, New England, San Diego, I think the 49ers are trying to convert to it to with baby steps.
    So is it catching on then since Pittsburgh runs it so well. I have a friend from Pittsburgh who a couple years back said they were the only ones who ran it. I hadn't really heard much about the other teams doing it. He told me it doesnt work in the nfl alot. They run it so well that I would like to see it catch on

This thread comes up every year we don't have the players to run a 3-4 scheme and we'd have better lucky making a powerful 4-3 than a 3-4 because of all the teams switching over to the 3-4.

PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
    You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by vicious2500 View Post
    This thread comes up every year we don't have the players to run a 3-4 scheme and we'd have better lucky making a powerful 4-3 than a 3-4 because of all the teams switching over to the 3-4.
    Well that would be why the thread maker also mentioned drafting Mt. Cody. He feels that with him at NT that we have the players to put around him to run that scheme. It is mere speculation but he is saying other changes would have to be made as well

Transitioning to 3-4 is a really bad idea. We would need 4 new linebackers and at least 2 new defensive linemen. We have problems finding decent defenders so if we have to go out and replace more than half of the starters logic would dictate we will suck for a long time.

Right now we are a good DE, MLB and FS away from having a decent defense, there is no reason to start all over again and waste the best years of the Cutler-Marshall express experimenting with a defense that will rank last in the league.

We haven't had any kind of luck in building a decent 4-3 defense in ages.
    I think the point of this thread was to look for some kind of answers because we've been trying to build a half way decent dline for like 10 years now and every year its worse than the last.

Quote Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
    Transitioning to 3-4 is a really bad idea. We would need 4 new linebackers and at least 2 new defensive linemen. We have problems finding decent defenders so if we have to go out and replace more than half of the starters logic would dictate we will suck for a long time.

Right now we are a good DE, MLB and FS away from having a decent defense, there is no reason to start all over again and waste the best years of the Cutler-Marshall express experimenting with a defense that will rank last in the league.
    Yea but our defense already is near dead last.
    [IMG]http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/engelb4/denversigcopy-1.jpg[/IMG]

We don't have the players to run a 4-3 either.

The thing about SF's defense is one thing.

Patrick Willis.

He stands out to me, if we could get Mt. Cody..cool.

We need a monster at MLB, in either formation.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    I dont know what you have been smoking or how much football you know, but OL is normally short for Offensive Line, and I cant really see moss there

think I would rather see moss as OLB than OL anyday