View Poll Results: Will The Broncos Win Eight Games Next Season?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure! I believe in magic ponies! Broncos go 11-5!

41 36.28%
  • No. The schedule is just too brutal for a rebuilding team. Losing season.

26 23.01%
  • Maybe. IF they find a TON of talent in FA. Not holding my breath.

36 31.86%
  • Yes. Bad coaching held them back and that should improve. 8-8

21 18.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Given The Broncos Schedule Is Eight Wins Unrealistic?

Today's Post has an article that paints a pretty grim picture for the team. Facing a daunting task of completely rebuilding the defense almost from scratch, and given a horrible schedule, the Broncos could easily fail to win more than 7 games next season. It might be even worse than that.

I'm not asking what you hope for. That's obvious! Broncos recreate the 1999 Rams and win a SB! Hurrah! But, what's REALISTIC?:
    If Mike Shanahan were in charge, Bob Slowik would have returned to oversee a defense with a handful of new starters. Instead, Josh McDaniels and his staff have gutted the defensive depth chart, dumping five starters in a matter of days.

The best news of all isn't that those marginal players are gone. It's that the powers that be at Dove Valley finally have quit rationalizing and begun acknowledging the depths of the team's problems.

Not that getting rid of all those starters is the answer. The answer can only come by replacing them with better players. That won't be easy, particularly in the short run, what with the purge having cost the Broncos millions in cap hits.

Since we live in the real world in this corner of the sports section, I dialed up an NFL player agent Wednesday to get his take on the Broncos' post-purge prospects for 2009.

"In a way, I appreciate what they're doing," he said. "In the long haul, they had to get that dead weight out of there. It's probably smart. They'll have brand new guys, so you know they won't have the pressure to win next season. It's like, 'Let's get rid of this mess on our hands and upgrade. Then we can win down the road."

As opposed to next season, when the Broncos' schedule includes Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Baltimore and the Giants.
    That's SEVEN games where the Broncos will be hard pressed to win even ONCE! I was particularly stung by the statement "they have a lot of new guys so there won't be pressure to win next season." Everybody in the business just assumes the Broncos are screwed for next year.

New England will have Tom Brady back to a team that won 11 games last year WITHOUT him, and 16 the season before. They are still arguably the best team in the NFL -- at least until 2010 when they have a ton of FAs.

Dallas collapsed last year without Tony Romo and with quite a bit of turmoil. They still almost made the playoffs. This year they should be much improved and might even win the division. This might be the weakest team on the list though. If the Broncos are going to win one, this might be it.

Indianapolis. The Colts just keep on winning. Manning was injured much of the season and they still had the #3 seed in the playoffs, losing to the Chargers. The Colts have dominated the Broncos for years and there's no reason to expect a change next season.

Philadelphia was in the NFC Championship last year for the fifth time in the decade, and won two road playoff games. They will be a very good team with a solid defense and good offense that will make them tough to beat.

Baltimore. The Ravens now have a QB in Joe Flacco, the one thing they missed all these years. Their defense was still #2 in the NFL. That's a powerful combination. The Ravens too have dominated the Broncos since 2000.

New York. The Giants were the #1 seed in the NFC and are still the odds on favorite to go to the SB for the NFC. They have a great QB in Eli Manning and will be stronger even on defense than last year with the return of DE Osi Omenyiori to one of the strongest front sevens in football.

If the Broncos win one of these games they will beat the odds.

Then there's two games against the Chargers who will have NFL defensive player of the year Shawne Merriman back next season. That's at least one more loss.

Assuming the Raiders and Chiefs don't improve, the Broncos might win 3 of 4 divisional games against them at best. This year they only won 2, losing to the Chiefs on the road and the Raiders stomping them at home.

It's looking like 1-6 against those 7 playoff caliber teams, and maybe 3-5 in the division, plus a couple of other wins, total SIX WINS. That would be my best guess right now, just looking at the schedule.

I'd like to be wrong, but it's just not looking like a not good season for the Broncos. They're not utterly doomed to have a losing season of course, Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 last year so it can be done.

But that's certainly not the way to bet.
    Last edited by Cugel; 02-19-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

with the revamped D ,and the fresh attitude on offense,combined with key offseason additions.cutler and co. will finally have a defense that doesnt require a 30+ point effort by the offense.....but theyll do it anyway and win 11 games...yeah baby you heard it hear 1st .....11 GAMES!:go:
    i'm a BRONCO'S fan !:go:

I wonder if the Dolphins had this same attitude last year at this time..... Probably not, since they finished 11-5.

I just don't get it.
    People moaned year after year how we needed to get rid of the dead weight and build this team the correct way, you know by drafting players to fill the roster rather than filling up the team with free agency every year, those same people called out Shanahan almost daily for the way he handled things. Now he's gone, a new regime is doing what most people have wanted to be done for years and people are still complaining? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    I wonder if the Dolphins had this same attitude last year at this time..... Probably not, since they finished 11-5.
    The Dolphin FANS probably did. It's not our job to face the season with optimism. We can be realistic about the teams' chances. Unless you're a blind homer that is. What happened in Miami is pretty unusual. Most times a 1-15 team might win 6 or 7 games the next year, certainly not 11.

It's the coaches and players jobs always to look on the bright side of things. After all they have to line up and play. If they enter the game thinking "we're so screwed, we have no hope!" then they're certain to lose.

But nothing requires a fan to blindly believe. You can root for the Broncos without thinking they're going to win.

I'll be wildly happy if they win 11 games and beat the Chargers twice just to humiliate them and make Rivers cry! Yes, CRY you worthless crybaby! You're ugly and those teeth make you look like a deranged beaver.

Do I expect it to happen, realistically? No.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Who's complaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    I just don't get it.
    People moaned year after year how we needed to get rid of the dead weight and build this team the correct way, you know by drafting players to fill the roster rather than filling up the team with free agency every year, those same people called out Shanahan almost daily for the way he handled things. Now he's gone, a new regime is doing what most people have wanted to be done for years and people are still complaining? Wow.
    I'm certainly NOT one of those fans who scorched the boards complaining about Shanahan being fired, and I'm quite glad Denver cut such useless chodes as John Engleberger (finally!).

It's just a question of what people think. It looks like a major rebuilding effort on top of a horrible schedule where they face at least 7 playoff teams, not counting the Chargers.

They will be hard pressed to win any of those games against the Ravens, Colts, Patriots, Giants, Eagles, Steelers. About the only elite team they don't play is the Tennessee Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    it happens but just not that often, im saying let it be a rebuilding year get some more pieces next year with high round draft picks and then we'll start winning 2-3 years from now

i can be patient i dont know about all these crazies running around here though, after 1 loss they will probably call for McDaniels head
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I'm certainly NOT one of those fans who scorched the boards complaining about Shanahan being fired, and I'm quite glad Denver cut such useless chodes as John Engleberger (finally!).

It's just a question of what people think. It looks like a major rebuilding effort on top of a horrible schedule where they face at least 7 playoff teams, not counting the Chargers.

They will be hard pressed to win any of those games against the Ravens, Colts, Patriots, Giants, Eagles, Steelers. About the only elite team they don't play is the Tennessee Titans.
    I understand what you're saying.

But most of those elite teams you mention also had some down or rebuilding years. whichever you prefer to call it, where most of their draft picks went towards players who'd later contribute to their coming success. Miami was one of the rare exceptions and in all honesty, I'm anxious to see if they're able to keep up their success this coming year or if they'll come back down to earth a bit.

I'd like to see Denver win 10, 11 or even 12 games next year, but realistically it's not something I'm going to expect, nonetheless with some good drafting and a little bit of luck, this team shouldn't take more than maybe 2 years to really start to show some promise. We got one side of the ball in place already for the most part.

this is not major league baseball...in the nfl every team has a legit shot

the falcons were not supposed to be better than a 4 win team last year....the dolphins the same

about the teams on the schedule, the giants were overrated when they won the superbowl and were overrated last year...they don;t scare me in the least

the patriots are still a huge question mark...will brady be back? will he be 100%? if he isn;t, will cassel still be there? and they're an old team...how long do they keep up the pace?

the ravens are ok but they're not anything that special....and i'm not sold on flacco yet

the cowboys can implode any given sunday

the way the nfl is, the broncos will sweep those teams and get swept by the raiders and chiefs

The Dolphin FANS probably did. It's not our job to face the season with optimism. We can be realistic about the teams' chances. Unless you're a blind homer that is. What happened in Miami is pretty unusual. Most times a 1-15 team might win 6 or 7 games the next year, certainly not 11.
    "Most 1-15 teams might win 6 or 7 games the next year... "

So what's that mean for an 8-8 team?

A status quo?

instead of screaming doom and gloom, lets wait to find out :go:

You cannot just pick the teams from before that made the playoffs and say they are the "elite" teams and say ok we will lose to them. We WILL have a better defense. I don't care who you put in there, it WILL be better. Our offense might struggle in the first few games but it will be more dominant than last year.

While you say we will be hard pressed to win any of those games I would find it hard to believe that we lose more than 3 of those. Firstly who knows the NE system better than mcdaniels? That's 1 easy win right there. The cowboys? Could go either way. Philly? Over rated imo. You contain westbrook = win and with a 3-4 that will be easier than last year. Ravens are losing a lot on their defense next year. Both starting cornerbacks are gone or will be gone and they are expected to lose one or two linebackers. If ray is gone from their team how do you even expect them to be the same? That's another win. How are the colts any different from us? They got a new HC and DC and OC. True manning is amazing but that doesn't mean he wont skip a beat and be unstoppable. If we play them early in the year expect us to win.

Our schedule might look hard but no one knows until next year who really are the elite teams. For all we know the chiefs go 11-5 and the chargers go 3-13. For all we know the giants go 1-15 and the redskins go 12-4. I just do not see the overly pessimistic attitude around here. I see us going anywhere from 8-8 to 12-4. Yes I said it 12-4.

It's not our job to face the season with optimism. We can be realistic about the teams' chances.
    whats hte point of being a fan if youre just going to scream doom and gloom? isnt the point of being a fan to cheer for the team, hope they win every single game and go to the super bowl?

or is it to whine about every move made, never think anything is good enough and face every year with extreme pessimism, when the only thing youre "job" as a fan is to cheer for the team and hope they win.

I love how Pittsburgh is left off the list, like that is an automatic loss just because they bought another Super Bowl!

Bottom Line is I can see us beating Dallas, Pittsburgh, and New England then losing to the Bengals, Chiefs, and Raiders = 8-8!

As good as the Steelers were in 2006 coming off a fixed Super Bowl win we still owned them at their house. Then in 2007 we beat them at home with pratically a rookie QB and like 6 starters out with injury.

It's too early to assume anything, injuries happen, you never know.

Denver could be 5-11 or 11-5, it's too hard to tell right now!

I say we win 7-9 games. if we win 10 then we'll know they did a good job.
    Humm....