Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

T.C. Primer, Part II: Defense

The main question about the Broncos, obviously, is the Defense. From the new players, such as Dewayne Robertson and Boss Bailey, to the new D Coordinator, Bob Slowick.

I like the hiring of Bob Slowick. He comes from a background and philosophy of success in the NFL, as he started under the Jimmy Johnson/Dave Wannstedt era in Dallas. I think he has some of the aggressive nature Greg Robinson used to have here, but that is more fundamentally sound in the Larry Coyer mode. If he strikes a careful balance between the two, the Defense could really improve quickly.

Strengths:

Cornerback. This is the only thing the Broncos can count on as a plus at this point. Bailey and Bly are among two of the best in the League, and Foxworth and Paymah provide great depth.

Questions:

Where do you begin?

With the D-Line, as it is the most critical. The DT's are obvious questions with Robertson's health. Alvin McKinley is a solid vet, and Marcus Thomas has to be the player to improve the most. Carlton Powell and Stephen Harris are young players that have to step up to give the Broncos any kind of depth.

DE's. The Broncos have to have immediate contributions from Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, or they will be left to depend on John Engleberger, Ebenezer Ekuban or Kenny Peterson to pair with Elvis Dumervil, who is a pass-rushing demon.

LB's. DJ Williams returns to the weakside OLB position he has wanted to play all along, and where some think he is best suited. I personally question him as an over-rated player, so this year is put up or shutup time for him. No more excuses for DJ. Niko Koutivides will have to fend off Jamie Winborn and Nate Webster for the starting spot in the middle, and Boss Bailey will play out of position on the strong-side, although he could very well be moving back to the weakside in 2009 if DJ Williams flames out. All-in-all, a bunch of question marks at LB.

Safety: I love John Lynch, but I can't get excited about Hamza Abdullah, Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel. The kid from ASU is a maybe too, so we'll see.

There is an enormous gap between Jimmy Johnson/Dave Wandstadt and Bob Slowik.....

Three things Johnson/Wandstadt never had that Slowik must overcome: The Broncos DT's, the Broncos pass rush......and his own ineptitude as a DC.

I have zero confidence in Slowik and see no reason for optimism, but I've been wrong before......
    Last edited by stnzed; 07-22-2008 at 04:08 PM.

DJ Williams over rated? He's played every position they've asked him to play and he's excelled so what exactly is over rated about him.

Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
    DJ Williams over rated? He's played every position they've asked him to play and he's excelled so what exactly is over rated about him.
    We're hearing this more and more, even Mark Schlereth said his stats last year were fools gold.

I like DJ no matter where he plays, but I'm stoked to see him play at WLB again......

Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    and Boss Bailey will play out of position on the strong-side, although he could very well be moving back to the weakside in 2009 if DJ Williams flames out

Boss has played his entire career at strong side LB except for 4 games at MLB in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by red98red98 View Post
    Boss has played his entire career at strong side LB except for 4 games at MLB in 2006.
    He should be a WLB though, he should've been playing there from the get go......

I think I read that DJ Williams was like #5? last year in tackles, if so why would he be a question mark?

GOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BANJOPICKER1 View Post
    I think I read that DJ Williams was like #5? last year in tackles, if so why would he be a question mark?

GOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!

He was 2nd in the league, but like every stat, this stat doesn't tell the whole story......

Q. The bottom line on DJ Williams is this....if he was so good at any ONE position he has played, why is this the fourth move he has made in five years?

A: Because he has not been as good as advertised.

Is Williams a better player than Ian Gold? I think so, and so he should have been playing WLB this whole time while Gold was anywhere but here.

Maybe then we'd know for sure if Williams is the bust some may think he is, but I do not think he's played poorly enough at any position to be bounced around like he's been bounced around......

From shanahan down very few were as good as advertised. but anyway the stat on on powell amazed me . 106 rushes directed at him for a minus 13. That's impressive.Things don't come together this year bowlen needs to clip coach shanahan's wings a bit. The coaching staff needs to be a team on the same page also.

Q. The bottom line on DJ Williams is this....if he was so good at any ONE position he has played, why is this the fourth move he has made in five years?

He's been moved around because the linebacker unit has always had glaring needs at different spots, and DJ was good enough to be able to fill each slot and do a decent job. He wasn't moved around because he wasn't doing well at a certain spot...

Quote Originally Posted by Uglybass View Post
    He's been moved around because the linebacker unit has always had glaring needs at different spots, and DJ was good enough to be able to fill each slot and do a decent job. He wasn't moved around because he wasn't doing well at a certain spot...
    No, DJ hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been exceptional, either. They have been moving him around to see what he does best, and to see if he would take off and really adapt to a positon, but he hasn't.

I thought his best position was on the strong-side where he could stuff the run and jack TE's with his exceptional athletic abilities. To me, he gets into troubvle when he has to think, because he just is not a natural LB. He gets by on his incredible athletic ability, but I would not count on him to be an outstanding player. DJ is just a guy.

Uhm A: because he's better than advertised. Which is more critical MLB or WLB. They don't move the less abled player to the more critical position.

DJ Williams is a straight up balla.
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif