47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I did... its okay too water up

38 80.85%
  • I did not... if you did your a wussy

9 19.15%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Thank You, Rod!

Quote Originally Posted by AWT View Post
    Lot of opinions on this. . . here are some of mine.

Shannon Sharpe: he was a Raven = No retired Jersey

Steve Atwater(who is my favorite player ever) : Played for the Jets = No retired Jersey

Davis: I am on the fence for this one. . . .

Elam: in Atlanta = No retired Jersey

I am not a fan of retiring everyone's Jersey when they leave. But Rod Smith is the personification of what the Broncos are trying to fill their roster with.

Set the example, put that man in the middle of the field while you display him on the ring of fame, and tell him no one will ever wear #80 in Denver again.

Not because of his stats, not because of his leadership and not because most of the fans demand it.

Retire #80 because Rod Smith won't be on the field any more to wear it.
    That statement brought tears to my eyes.

I think Rod has earned the right to make sure nobody wears the #80 for the Denver Broncos ever again.

I agree with allot of the above statements that a player needs to stay a bronco to have their number retired.

Retire number 80. Not just because he was a great WR. Not just because we won 2 Super Bowls with him. Not just because he was one of the best bronco leaders of all time.

To me we retire 80 because he was the best team player of all time.

I just found out he retired. Have not watched the video yet but my eyes are tearing from the articles.

Elway was the man and was my favorite bronco of all time for allot of reasons but Smith was right behind him on my list of favorite players and men to look up to as people who show me how I should carry myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sixoneseven12 View Post
    Rod has been my favorite Bronco for a while now, but I just don't see it happening. In my opinion, Elway, the greatest of all time, should have the only retired number.
    You do know that the Broncos have retired a total of three numbers?
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!

Excluding John Elway, name 1 player in the last 25 years that has done more for this team than Rod Smith?

He is the teams all time leading receiver in nearly every category.

Career receptions (849), most receptions in a season (113), in a game (14).
    Career receiving yards (11,389), most yards in a season (1,602), and second most in a game (208)(Shannon Sharpe holds that one with 214) But Sharpe needed OT to reach his total, while Rod managed his number in regulation.
    Career touchdown receptions (68), 3rd most TD's in a season (12), tied with Sharpe, McCaffrey, Watson, Moses, Scarpitto, Taylor and Miller for most TD's in a game (3).

And one of the greatest stats ever... Most consecutive games with a reception. (124). Eddie Mac is in 2nd in that category with (68).

He is top 20 ALL-TIME in the NFL History in both receptions and yards. He has more receptions than ANY receiver in the Hall of Fame except for Art Monk.

All of that, and I haven't even mentioned blocking. Rod Smith is probably a better blocking receiver than nearly every receiver in the Hall of Fame.

When the owner of the team says that next to John Elway he's the greatest player to ever play for him... It's a no brainer. Retire the Jersey.

No one else could ever fill it.
    God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Believe it or not... retiring Rod Smith's #80 would help his chances to make the HOF....

I would definitely support that, but then again I think they should also retire #30

Oh and for everyone who opposes it, could you really imagine someone else wearing #80? Itd just look too weird. Kind of like how it looked weird with mike bell wearing 30

I'd be all for it.

I just watched it and i teared up a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by stickyicky420 View Post
    very sad will miss rod but at least we have brandon the drunk marshall from the classiest to the trashiest
    And why dont you shut up princess

I was fortunate enough to watch this man's entire career and you're damn right I teared up.

Rod was more than just a wide receiver.

He was a leader.

He was a role model.

He was a coach.

He was a true class act on and off the field. He will remain so. A loving man that respected the city of Denver, The Broncos and we the fans for all the support he received for being that "un-drafted player"

He was a fan favorite for obvious reasons.

I have to admit though, when our man John said the words... "I just can't do it anymore" under choking breaths, I completely lost it.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

I personally think that you have to.......I think that you only retire numbers from players that in 25 or 30 years you are going to be talking about as one of the greatest Broncos ever. Little is one, Trip was one, Elway was one, Smith is one...... I retire #80 and #30 Those 2 +Elway were the catalists on the greatest teams in our history and should be honored as such

I hope he chooses to stick around this team and teach the young guys how to go about the business.

I heard Eddie Royal talking about Rod yesterday. He seems to really admire the guy and wants to go about his career like Rod did. If he does, that could be great news for the organization.

i did but it seems that hes happy to start a new part of his life so best wishes to him