Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

This is going to be a difficult year to watch.

Greetings all,

I have been a broncos fan for 20 years and I've always gone in to the season thinking we are going to have a chance. I have to admit this is the first year i'm a little skittish about the upcoming season. The main reason for this is because I feel every team in our division has vastly improved except for us. Oakland who up till now has been our red headed stepchild is starting to become so talent loaded that they may actually find their way to beating us. Kansas city has a huge influx of young but talented players that could develop in to something special. The chargers are still a Superbowl contending team. I can not at this point say we are better than we where even last year... Factor in a brandon marshal suspension and i'm looking at a 6-10 season for us. Our passing game is going to be worse without marshal, our running game is worse without henry, our TE position really isn't that great (Graham is a solid blocking tight end but Scheffler is an injury magnet.) Our Defense is another year older, but on the bright side I suppose Eddie Royal will help the kick return game and cutler should play better over all. I hope like all hell i'm wrong but at this stage I really just don't see things playing out well.

I'm always optimistic at the start of a new season,hoping those beatings will serve as motivation for everyone to step up their game.

Not a good comment on Moss here. I have a nagging concern that he's going to be a bust. Along with draft mate Ryan Harris.

Lowlight
    Second-year defensive end Jarvis Moss has been among the last - if not the very last - player to leave the field after most sessions this week, and it looked Monday morning like he needs the extra work. In a one-on-one pass rush drill, Moss, a first-round draft pick in 2007, was stuffed by Tyler Polumbus, the undrafted rookie from Colorado. Defensive line coach Jacob Burney wasn't happy, and screamed at Moss once Moss returned to the defense.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10023587

I thought the same thing until after the draft. We have more depth at just about every position this year. We arent that bad offensively. If the defense improves we will be a playoff caliber team imo. And also we have a young QB named Cutler that could have a breakout year.... There is some hope for this season.

Sig by Peerless

Quote Originally Posted by Bronx4me View Post
    Greetings all,

I have been a broncos fan for 20 years and I've always gone in to the season thinking we are going to have a chance. I have to admit this is the first year i'm a little skittish about the upcoming season. The main reason for this is because I feel every team in our division has vastly improved except for us. Oakland who up till now has been our red headed stepchild is starting to become so talent loaded that they may actually find their way to beating us. Kansas city has a huge influx of young but talented players that could develop in to something special. The chargers are still a Superbowl contending team. I can not at this point say we are better than we where even last year... Factor in a brandon marshal suspension and i'm looking at a 6-10 season for us. Our passing game is going to be worse without marshal, our running game is worse without henry, our TE position really isn't that great (Graham is a solid blocking tight end but Scheffler is an injury magnet.) Our Defense is another year older, but on the bright side I suppose Eddie Royal will help the kick return game and cutler should play better over all. I hope like all hell i'm wrong but at this stage I really just don't see things playing out well.
    I can't say I share your sentiments. Looking in depth at this year compared to last year, we're much better off at the moment. On D we have a much more familiar system which the players are assimilating much better. Our LB corps resembles more the LB corps we used to have throughout the first half of this decade: very fast OLBs and whilst our Mikes are nowhere near as quick as Wilson, at least Niko is a relatively effective gap controller although he's no Wilson. On the DL, our DT situation could possibly be in the best shape it's been for quite a few years although, obviously, there are questions such as how many snaps Robertson can take in a season and how far Thomas has progressed. We have a good stockpile of DEs who have shown flashes of greatness. The average age of our D is just over 28 and I'm assuming that Ekuban and Engleberger are starting in there. So I wouldn't call our D old by a long shot (consider that Lynch is going to be taking that average up)

Offensively, the OL is a concern. But it Holland comes back quickly we should be able to stabilise things a bit. In terms of RB, Selvin and Torain have looked very good so far. Of course, we must see how they play in preseason first, but I've heard almost nothing but good reports about them so far. Not to mention we now have a proper blocking fullback. The TE situation is actually pretty deep. Scheffler has had injury problems before, but hopefully he'll hold this time. Even so, he's splitting time with Nate Jackson right now who (if he stays healthy too) will also fill in well as a pass catching TE. Many people will hate me for saying that I think I think our first 3 WRs look good. If Marshall gets suspended, we'll have a few problems, true. But Royal looks like he could step up in such a case...however, every team in the league has these sorts of question marks. By the way, the average age of our O starting lineup right now (Cutler/Hillis/Young/Marshall/DJax/Graham/Clady/Hamilton/Nalen/Holland/Kuper) is 26.5.

I may be overly optimistic, but I think we'll be well on track this season. If we don't catch the injury bug yet again our team could well be quite dangerous.

By the way, that quote about Moss...all the reports I've heard so far have said a lot of positive things about Moss on this board from members such as Kaylore who have been doing camp reports for a few years now. So I'm thinking that this incident is just a one off which the DP are picking on.
    Last edited by muse; 07-29-2008 at 08:10 AM.

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

I agree. It's very difficult for me to stand back and watch Jake waste the prime of his career in retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
    I agree. It's very difficult for me to stand back and watch Jake waste the prime of his career in retirement.
    Jay is better than Jake. Get over it.

You can leave too.

Quote Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    Jay is better than Jake. Get over it.
    Please point to where I said Jake was better than Jay. I'm waiting.

Anyone who wants to bring back Jake knows nothing about football

You implied it. While else would we bring back Jake at this point, if he was not better than Jay?

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

By your username? What else does this imply? I don't want to waste my time on this topic.

Godspeed Broncos 2008!
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Quote Originally Posted by muse View Post
    Even so, he's splitting time with Nate Jackson right now who (if he stays healthy too) will also fill in well as a pass catching TE. Many people will hate me for saying that I think
    I know I do

I agree with what you said, especially about Jarvis. A few bad drills, or even a bad day send most people into a tizzy. If he is still making boneheaded plays, and looking lost in two weeks, as a norm, Ill be worried. Not yet though.

I really hope Holland can lose some weight quickly. He was supremely effective for us last year, and is definitley part of rebuilding that OLine.
    Last edited by draco193; 07-29-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added an extra laugh, to make sure muse knows Im joking.

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Thankfully Football season is right around the corner, because I don't know how many more of these poor me, sob story threads I can take.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

people calling it a year before a pre- season game is played...... gotta love thoues type of fans