View Poll Results: Grade tonights preseason opener ...

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

0 0%
  • B

6 33.33%
  • C

5 27.78%
  • D

3 16.67%
  • It's only preseason game #1

4 22.22%
Page 60 of 86 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast
    If it turns out to be true, he'll have to be that type of receiver because his size is a liability. His ability to move after the catch should hopefully be his biggest asset. If he can be a dual threat as he was in college, he will be huge for this team.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

Quote Originally Posted by japfaff View Post
    For those you you that think that getting DRob in the middle is going to help need to watch him play with the Jets. He wasnt that great of a player. So those of you that are thinking that we are getting another Albert Hainsworth are in for a shock when the guy that takes the field isn't better than Thomas
    Albert Haynesworth would be terrible player in the 3-4 also. Neither one of those guys are cloggers, which is asked of a NT in a 3-4.

I think it's a complete question mark on how exactly he will be. He could be great. And he could be another miss in the long line of Denver DT disappointments.

Quote Originally Posted by sixoneseven12 View Post
    Uhh, yep pretty much. Other than cheating by taking steriods, I'd rather have an effective player who's made a couple mistakes in life (which we all have) than a squeaky clean moron who can't play. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but it's mine none the less.

God I admire you......

it helps in the sense of seeing players in game time action such as rookies but i am pretty sure the colts were like 1-3 in the preseaon the year they won the superbowl. Not saying the broncos are at that point but it just shows that the preseason does not give factual indication of how the regular season is going to go.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Broncos Offensive Line Article

Rocky start for Broncos' offensive line
    By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
    Sunday, August 10, 2008

The first half of Saturday night's preseason opener was an introductory period for the Broncos starting offensive line.

Left tackle Ryan Clady got his first taste of NFL life.

Left guard Ben Hamilton reacquainted himself with the game after missing all last season because of post-concussion symptoms.

Center Casey Wiegmann, playing for the injured Tom Nalen, wore a Broncos uniform for the first time outside the practice field.

Chris Kuper played right guard, flipped from his 2007 position.

And right tackle Ryan Harris' introduction came mainly via the public address system at Reliant Stadium after being nailed four times for penalties.

Denver (0-1) was able to compile 156 total yards, 12 first downs and convert 4-of-6 third-down situations with the group blocking up front during the first half. But it was clear the area remains a work in progress with three exhibition games to go.

"It was good to get in game situations and play together," Kuper said.

Whether it remains the same five players during the next several weeks bears watching. Nalen still is recovering from a painful bursa sac injury but there's still hope he can return before the Sept. 8 opener. And this week, Montrae Holland - a 16-game starter last season - returns to practice after spending the first two weeks of camp getting into condition.

Denver's original plan entering camp was to have Kuper compete with Harris at right tackle, and he could still kick outside in the next month if Holland demonstrates he's come all the way back.

"I'll take things as they come," Kuper said.

The Broncos already are short-handed at the tackle position. Erik Pears, a starter last season on the right side, has been bothered by a sore lower back. He tried to play Saturday but lasted just one series.

Pears' status necessitated guard Mitch Erickson playing right tackle in the second half after having practiced there just once in training camp.

"I don't feel great about it," Pears said in describing his physical condition.

The same could be said from the Broncos staff in general terms regarding the O-line after Saturday's 19-16 loss to the Houston Texans.

Neither quarterback Jay Cutler nor Patrick Ramsey was sacked on 21 first-half dropbacks but the Broncos ran a conservative, short-passing game that was screen intensive. Broncos running backs were tackled for losses three times and ran for 1 yard or less twice in the first two quarters.

"We needed a little continuity there. I thought we got it," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "Guys got some experience as a group, which you need as an offensive line. I have to look at film for sure, but I was pleased."

Much of the attention was expected to be focused at tackle, and Clady's debut, at times against 2006 No. 1 overall draft pick Mario Williams, was compelling. But it was Harris' off night that diverted attention.

A screen pass that produced a first down on third-and-15 was wiped out on the opening series when Harris was improperly aligned off the line of scrimmage. He was called for a false start with Denver in the red zone, though Cutler later bailed him out with a 15-yard scoring run. And twice Harris was flagged for holding as Denver moved inside Texans territory in the final minute of the second quarter.

"There's no excuses for stuff like that," Harris said, adding he's never had a similar game in his career.

Clady, the 12th overall pick in April's draft, started the game aligned against Williams, who flipped sides on passing downs.

But Clady saw Williams enough to know what he's in for at the pro level. He was driven into the backfield by Williams on a running play that turned into a 2-yard loss. But the rookie also helped clear a path for Andre Hall's 14-yard sweep around left end in the second quarter, after Williams had departed.

"He's a great physical specimen: quick, good hands, strong arms, tough . . . ," Clady said of facing Williams. "It was a good test and good work for the upcoming season. It shows me what I need to improve on."

Items on Clady's list in that regard were coming off the ball a little harder and being more physical in the run game.

"Other than that, I feel I played pretty well," he said.

Just playing was a victory for Hamilton, who for a spell last fall was concerned his career was in jeopardy after having severe post-concussion symptoms. The last time he'd suited up for a game was the 2006 season finale, but he said he felt good.

"The way we practice prepared me for the game, although it's a different situation," Hamilton said of re-adjusting to game speed after 11/2 years away. "I'm used to playing next to (retired) Matt (Lepsis), but Ryan's doing a great job and we're developing that rapport. We'll be good."

Denver's cohesion will immediately be tested this week: The 3-4 alignment presented by a physical Dallas Cowboys front seven will be at Dove Valley for two days of practices, leading up to Saturday's home preseason opener at Invesco Field at Mile High.

rasizerl@RockyMountainNews.com

Link - http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ffensive-line/

One thing I do expect we can accomplish in the preseason is chemistry with our offensive and defensive lines. There are a lot of changes and no matter how good they are, they need time to mesh together.

I believe there is promise that we saw in preseason game 1.

Fringe players are out there going 110% trying to make an impression. For the sure veteran starters most preseason games are get your few series in and then get out of the pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Q_Ball22 View Post
    I have a feeling were gonna have a bend but dont break D. Give up lots of yards but not a lot of points. I think the team will be alright with that style D. Your thoughts?
    From what I saw Saturday is the new defense giving up more points than out offense could put up. 'Nuff said.
    [SIZE="4"][B]Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... [/B][/SIZE]-[SIZE="3"]stnzd[/SIZE]
    What's that? Need proof? [url]http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html[/url]

[URL=http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=champbaileyps3coverhp3.jpg][IMG]http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/5659/champbaileyps3coverhp3.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Goodbye social life...

[URL=http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cluelessnessav9.jpg][IMG]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6228/cluelessnessav9.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0422ej4.jpg][IMG]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4053/img0422ej4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    My Mojo!

So after watching the game again, I still think Webster didn't do too bad at all.

But I still saw our DEs struggle. Namely Moss. But our run defense looks to be improved, so that's a plus.

Just give them time, that's whats the pre-season is for. Start to worry after week 1...
    [B]Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!![/B]

[B]Team Tebow #16[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine83 View Post
    One thing I do expect we can accomplish in the preseason is chemistry with our offensive and defensive lines. There are a lot of changes and no matter how good they are, they need time to mesh together.
    Agreed. At least Hamilton is getting some with Clady.
    [B]Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!![/B]

[B]Team Tebow #16[/B]

the D is still a little concerning

I can understand how and why some fans would still be concerned about the defense...

Last years defense was dreadful ... I will still be concerned until they prove they can do something and put a few wins under their belt....They Defense again this year has a lot of new starters and question marks..Sure I believe this years defense will show improvements in all areas...But until they do..I can understand why fans would be concerned..

Everyone looks at preseason different and takes what they want from what they see...

The Texans scored 3 out of 4 times they had the ball in the first half....I dont like that ratio...

This was only preseason game 1... each week we should be able to take a little more from what we see....Then Hopefully they can put it all together week 1 and start off the season with a win...

Losing 2 in a row to the Raiders not fun

Josh Barrett also looked good on defense. He had several tackles in the fourth Quarter.

I'm looking foward to this weeks game vs Dallas I think it will make for a good preseason test...Dallas will straight put it on the Broncos ...If they dont come prepaired

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...nter&week=PRE2

It was over when
    The Cowboys jumped on the Broncos early to take an early 14-0 lead and never looked back

I still think the defense is 2-3 years away from being a defense that's going to help make this team in contention in the AFC. We do need that defense to be strong, because we're not going to outscore teams like Indy/Patriots/Chargers, especially with how our defense is now. That's ok as long as Shanahan continues to build, and doesn't make drastic moves to try and all of a sudden improve it.

If the offense can score more TD's, Denver should be a fun team to watch in a lot of the classic AFC West shootout style.

Denver can be a team to really watch out for in a couple of years. Jacksonville worries me. If they continue to get solid QB play, they will be the next dynasty to come out of the AFC, IMHO.