View Poll Results: Grade tonights preseason opener ...

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

0 0%
  • B

6 33.33%
  • C

5 27.78%
  • D

3 16.67%
  • It's only preseason game #1

4 22.22%
Page 37 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
    SOS

They all played like they had testicles in their mouths.
    The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    You can not use one preseason game to proclaim a team as mediocre for the season. The Broncos did hold out some starters on defense. Can't we at least wait until the third preseason game before we declare the season a bust?

I find it sad that someone who claims to be a fan takes pride in being 1000% right about his predictions prior to last season that the team would not do well. That same fan continues to post negative thread after negative thread even though the Broncos have made legitimate attempts to address the issues that faced them this off season. What's even more sad is that there are several other negative posters claiming to be fans as well who take pride in their negative proclamations as well. None of you negative "nancies" better take any pride in the team's success this year, if they achieve success. If they end up 13-3 and get close to or make it to the Super Bowl, don't come on these boards talking about how happy you are that they did so well. After all, how would anyone be able to believe you're happy when the team succeeds when you take so much pride in being correct about how they're going to fail?
    As one of those "Negative Nancies" I can tell you that I have every intention of thoroughly enjoying any and every success the Broncos have, so if you believe the Broncos will have that 13-3/or so season you might want to start writing that Soap-box Rant to me now......

Quote Originally Posted by JoKeRsGFX View Post
    So from what I got we lost..and everyone is unhappy with that..to me I base more off the first quarter then the game and it was 7 - 3 denver in the first..I like jay and our offense they look deadly. Our D looked good in the first w/o Champ. Im excited to see the season start but the only thing that worries me is Matt Prater and our special teams..Now I think everyone needs to calm down because we looked really good in that 1st
    I see both sides of the argument, I mean preseason is literally meaningless (the final score, how you play, etc. etc.) BUT sometimes preseason problems prove to be real problems.

I mean the key point I would say is no matter what you think overall of this game, there are 3 more preseason games to give us and the players/coaches more of a positive feeling going into Oakland week 1.

Was Webster really that bad?

I didn't get to see the game so I watched some highlights and from what I saw he wasn't too bad, he was still losing his helmet but whatever. What was so bad about him? Was he missing tackles still or what? I think he will be fine and as long as the linebacker unit can stay healthy they'll stay strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Retire #30!!! View Post
    The good ole' boards, how I missed the over reactions and the pointless back and forth bickering between so many "experts". One thing is for certain after the 1st preseason game, if we don't start scoring more point than the other team, we're in for a long season.

How about we wait until our starters play more than 15-20 snaps before we start the "We have problems" thread.
    Agree completely.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

Best post of the day.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JoKeRsGFX View Post
    So from what I got we lost..and everyone is unhappy with that..to me I base more off the first quarter then the game and it was 7 - 3 denver in the first..I like jay and our offense they look deadly. Our D looked good in the first w/o Champ. Im excited to see the season start but the only thing that worries me is Matt Prater and our special teams..Now I think everyone needs to calm down because we looked really good in that 1st
    Prater was a concern early on...

But 3/4 isn't bad overall... although obviously not perfect.

I honestly kind of expected him to miss the first... since it was you know... the first.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

The Preseason Matters/No It doesn't

It matters and it doesn't.

What matters...

Injuries - Someone saying they are worried about our LB Depth is obviously valid because the backups you saw tonight could end up thrust into the starting lineup since we lost 2 LB's.

Chemistry developing - If throughout the preseason the players develop some chemistry, and play better as a team (We have plenty of new faces)

Effort - Even in practice you should be seeing players giving it all they have. You would expect to see more effort from the guys battling to make the team.

What doesn't matter...

Playcalling - A smart coach is going to purposely have a very vanilla gameplan, if they even have a gameplan.

Accuracy/Timing - Patrick Ramsey threw 2 pics, Matt Prater missed an easy field goal. But they shouldn't get cut, because it costs their team nothing whatsoever. Preseason is glorified practice. That is like saying to cut someone over 1 or 2 errors in practice.

Players knowing where to be - Someone said Niko looks lost out there. Well it is his first real game with the Broncos, what do you expect. If he looks lost every single preseason game, then maybe its meaningful, but do you really expect people to get the playbook at this point if they are new to the team?

Score/Stats - This especially goes for the final score. If our 3rd teamers rallied and won the game 41-16 or something, most would be saying how deep we must be. All scores and all stats are skewed, even the first quarter when all the starters are in.

I'm a fan. I want us to win everything - but get a grip people, at least see if some of these fatal problems you speak of are still around during this whole preseason.

here's what i get out of it..

1. Our passing game will be top 5, as long as we can stay healthy on the o-line and of course with cutler. I'm not so worried about our wide outs at all, we have plenty of depth there.

2. Our run game will step it up. It just has to. Wait until we start spreading the offense down the field, the teams wont be loading 7-8 guys in the box every single play. Tonight was just going through some mechanics IMO.

3. Our D-line will need help from blitzes to put a consistent pressure on the quarterback. With two outside linebackers with extreme speed and athleticism i don't see that as a problem.

4. While stopping the run, we can't keep having our linebackers play 5+ yards off of the line of scrimmage.

5. Even if Royal continues to be the 2nd wide out, we have PLENTY of depth at returners to where he can focus on the wide out position and staying healthy.

all and all, I'm extremely excited to start seeing the upside of things around here.

I just hope all of you DEBBIE-DOWNERS stop posting stuff because nobody wants to hear about us doing any worse than last year after one preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    I put tonight's game on DVR, so I will have to watch it again, but first impressions after the first pre-season game, and then switching over to the Network to catch the Chargers/Cowboys, it is clear that the Broncos have a long way to go to be at their level.

Random Thoughts:

QB: Jay looked great and remains the primary reason to be excited about Broncos football. Posied and gaining experience, his arm looked strong, and he looked in command of the Offense. The Broncos will score their points, which will keep them in games and in contention...Patrick Ramsey sucked, and Darrell Hackney still does not look like an NFL QB. The Broncos will be OK as long as Jay stays healthy.

RB's: Selvin looked quick and effective, especially on screen passes, but I was most impressed with Michael Pittman. With Torain on the shelf, Pittman will be getting more looks at the tailback position, and he is clearly the strongest inside running presense the Broncos have. Pittman is just a Pro's Pro and is in great physical shape...Andre Hall had his moments, but in general I still don't think he is what you really want at tailback. Alridge is absolutely tiny. Yes, he is quick and fast, but he has no special qualities as a runner, and goes down on first contact too easliy. To me, he is alot like Quentin Griffin. In the long run, I look for the Broncos running game to be a combination of Selvin Young and Michael Pittman.

WR's: Brandon Marshall is the superstar in waiting, but Eddie Royal is going to be a great deep threat compliment to him. It will probably take a year, and his primary contribution as a rookie will be on special teams, but I expect the Broncos starting WR tandem for years to come will be Marshall and Royal...Stokley will still be a great fit in the slot. Darrell Jackson is a nice complimentary guy...Keary Colbert still looks like he is in danger of not making the team, and Glen Martinez will figure in before it's over.

TE's: Scheffler is going to be a great mis-match for us against Defenses. I am amazed at how well the guy runs. Nate Jackson is also a good pass-catching threat, and Daniel Graham will figure in around the goal line. In general, the TE's were about what I expected...very good.

O-Line: OK, you can start the countdown until the Broncos wise-up and replace Ryan Harris at ORT with Tyler Polumbus. I think I counted three penalties in the first half against Harris...but that's what you get when you draft a golden-domer...Casey Wiegman will be a solid replacement should Nalen not be able to make it back...it will be interesting to see if Montrae Holland can make it back to reclaim his RG position, because everyday he misses is one day more Chris Kuper puts a stranglehold on starting. Hamilton played extensively at LG...Ryan Clady did fairly well at LT, and will only get better. Erik Pears and Dylan Gandy look like keepers as backups. The O-line looked like it was out-of-sync, which is normal when you have so many new players playing together for the first time. I still think the O-Line will be a strength once they get settled in and Polumbus replaces Harris.

K/P: My guess is Prater won't be our kicker for long, and Sammy P will probably be the Punter.

Defense:

D-Line: Ugghhhh....still, no pass rush. The Texans pushed us around, and we still did not get off the field on third down. Marcus Thomas looks like a beast, though, and when paired with DeWayne Robertson, should be an improvement over last year....I am starting to get more than a little concerned about Jarvis Moss, as he was non-existant...and memo to Dream, your boy Tim Crowder played late in the third quarter with the third teammers, which speaks for itself. John Engleberger was John Engleberger and Elvis still looks like the only guy we have that can rush the passer. Overall, this area was a disappointment and (still) a major concern.

LB's: Suddenly, this is an area of concern. Boss Bailry re-aggravated an old ankle injury and was carted off. My concern now is that it will linger for the season and make his contributions marginal, but I hope I am wrong. DJ Williams was just OK if not spectacular, and Nate Webster still can't keep his helmet on. Niko did not do anything of note, and Jamie Winborn's reps will probably go up considerably.
    Louis Green was taken to a local Houston hospital after a collision with DJ Williams and was reported to have a concussion...there are suddenly legit concerns about the depth on this unit.

DB's: Champ did not play and Dre was also limited, which means Karl Paymah and D Foxy played at CB and generally held their own. Jack Williams is a fiesty little nickle corner who will pay dividends down the road. I thought Marlon McCree was in the mix on alot of plays, and I was impressed with how physical Marquand Manuel was. I think the Safeties will be OK.

Summary: I am still concerned about the running game on O, as the Broncos did not have alot of success running it, but rather on screen passes until Pittman came in the second half and hammered it at the Texans. The O-Line needs to gell and will get better, but there is still alot to be concerned about with the Defense. I doubt Matt Prater will be the kicker, and ST's looked improved on coverage.

It will be interesting to see how the Broncos fare this week against the Cowboys in joint practices. If you remember, the Cowboy preseason game last year was the initial red flag that told us the Broncos would be in for a rough season, as the Cowboys kicked their asses and in general just beat them up. It wil be interesting to see if that continues this year in our house.

Overall Grade: C-
    I agree with your assesment....... So through one preseason game (which of course means nothing)..... We have questions about our running game, our Dline, and our LB's....... Damn is there someone on here that has been basted these past few months for saying these were huge problem areas for us.

Now for the good things...... Cutler looked great. I cant wait to see him agianst a better D, but what more can we ask of him. Clady absolutly seemed to hold his own, very nice sign.....

Why does he always loose his helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by broooks77 View Post
    Why does he always loose his helmet?
    lol first thing i thought when he lost it tonight... how is it possible to lose it so much

Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    Yeah?

That's what everyone here said LAST year after the Dallas and Cleveland preseason games.

No, it may be preseason, but when if comes to physical matchups, you can definitley tell if your team has the goods or it doesn't.

The Broncos have issues, particularly on Defense...don't kid yourselves.

EXACTLY!....

And we will really start to see that we have issues when them boys come to town next week and start pushing this little itty bitty defense all over the practice field and in the game.

If we do get dominated agian by the Boyz, we are in for another long arse year...

On more thing, im sick and tired of you rabid fanbois using the "It's the preseason" excuse.

Some theories:

1) He's got too much frickin hair?

2) The chinstrap is too loose?

3) He is showboating for the fans?

4) He is a maniac?

Dude is a bust said that from the second I heard that denver signed him..... All you guys that are all over his jock need to ask yourselves why you are in such man love with a guy that has never played the MLB position and he is showing his lack of talent in practice and in games