Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos' Special Teams Coverage Units

They stink, especially on kickoffs. But why do they stink? Is it the coaching? Scheme? Lack of good ST players? This is a major problem, eclipsed only by the defense, but the short field the opposing offense consistently gets isn't exactly helping them out either. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Max Power; 09-15-2008 at 08:01 AM.

I would say the defense and ST don't play 60 minutes. You watch the game and there were several returns at the beginning and end where they were covering very well. It's just that some of the players take some plays off. O'Brien has had top five special teams everywhere he's coached but here. Shanahan has had average special teams while he's been here so you tell me who's fault it is?
    KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

I don't know but watching the game yesterday Pratter is pretty darn fast

i think the guys lagging on special teams are the guys that got beat out for there starting spot...ie niko, that 103 yd return was his fault. bring back jordan beck and send niko back to seattle

also keep in mind 2 of the kicks were good returns the rest were covered quite well. as many times as we kicked off thats not the end of the world. i think some players just need to tighten up a little
    Last edited by elevation INC; 09-15-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
    I would say the defense and ST don't play 60 minutes. You watch the game and there were several returns at the beginning and end where they were covering very well. It's just that some of the players take some plays off. O'Brien has had top five special teams everywhere he's coached but here. Shanahan has had average special teams while he's been here so you tell me who's fault it is?
    Does Shanahan coach ST? If not, then I won't lay the blame on him (I would guess that he doesn't). The ST coverage has been very shaky so far this season, not just this game, but in the Raiders game as well. Players taking some plays off is unacceptable. And great point about the ST and defense not playing all 60 minutes, I mean wow, really?

O'Brien is garbage, we need to dump his ass after this year

Quote Originally Posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
    its def. not obrien, just like bates, its our players thye just suck
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
    Typical short-sighted comment. Why was O'Brien fielding a top five special teams units everywhere he went and then he comes here where they suck and they still suck. That's on O'Brien? When the players are making an effort every play the coverage was good. When they took plays off we gave up huge runs. People think that coaches can magically fix things. They can't. Good players make teams better. Coaches just give them a chance to succeed.

For the record, I never said it was O'Brien's fault. If you read my original post, I ask if it's the coaching, scheme, or lack of good players on ST responsible for our shaky ST coverage. I'm just looking for people's thoughts on the matter. Personally, I think it may be a mix of all 3.
    Last edited by Max Power; 09-15-2008 at 08:42 AM.

well i dunno...about taking plays off, to me if i were a coach and i seen a player not going 100%....his butt is not suited the next game, send a message...we should not have to have the best cb in the game as a last resort tackler in ST coverage...period

another concern with me is why the hell out kicker had been booming them fot TBs all preseason and did pretty good in oak...but here in denver the bolt kicker only allowed a couple returns....we got gashed by them with short Kos

if those KO;s would have been deep there would be no return

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    For the record, I never said it was O'Brien's fault. If you read my original post, I ask if it's the coaching, scheme, or lack of good players on ST responsible for our shaky ST coverage. I'm just looking for people's thoughts on the matter. Personally, I think it may be a mix of all 3.
    Our special teams sucked before O'Brien got here. Personally I think it's because Shanahan only lets his backups play special teams and across the league most teams make many of their starters play special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
    Our special teams sucked before O'Brien got here. Personally I think it's because Shanahan only lets his backups play special teams and across the league most teams make many of their starters play special teams.
    I know Champ has been out there covering kickoffs. Maybe he's the only starter out there doing it, or maybe not. Maybe someone more observant can chime in...

They stink, especially on kickoffs. But why do they stink? Is it the coaching? Scheme? Lack of good ST players? This is a major problem, eclipsed only by the defense, but the short field the opposing offense consistently gets isn't exactly helping them out either. Thoughts?
    Easy.

The kicker we brought in and released Elam for was supposed to have a strong leg and force touch backs. So at mile high Prater forced 1 out of 8 kickoffs for touchbacks! Meanwhile Kaeding forced 6 of 8 to be toucbacks.

Kickoff coverages flaws/inconsistencies are not nearly as noticeable when you have a kicker who forces touchbacks...especially at mile high.

And before people claim that's because we don't play our starters...compare % the starters the broncos use to other teams and you won't find anything out of the ordinary.
    Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

I know Champ has been out there covering kickoffs. Maybe he's the only starter out there doing it, or maybe not. Maybe someone more observant can chime in...
    I saw Andre hall there, I know technicaly he's not a starter, but close enough to being one.

All I know... NIKO is a bust. THAT KR TD was all on him. He was filling the hole as Sproles entered it... NOBODY blocked NIKO... He just ran himself out of position... didn't even attempt to make a tackle. There's your blown assigment right there. EVERY ONE did their job, filled their lane... EXCEPT NIKO.

Niko ran down the field, was left free to fill the hole, saw Sproles coming at him... He stopped running, planted his feet and didn't even come close to Sproles. It was pathetic- Like he didn;t even want to make the tackle.