Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    62

    Will Everyone Please Stop Trying to Fire Slowik?

    Guys, its pretty clear....different coordinator......same "bend don't break" defense.

    Slowik doesn't run the defense, Shanahan does. It's the same philosophy every year, no matter the coordinator...don't give up the big play, give them everything underneath, hold them to a field goal. The scheme isn't really conducive to a pass rush; even a good pass rusher needs more time than it takes to get a pass to a wide open receiver 8 yards downfield. That's why we have so much problems with people coming out of the backfield because our secondary gives such a big cushion.

    So the question is what really can be done? Nothing really, just hope for a field goal I guess.

    I think we should stop getting so worked up about the defense and it's "coordinator" and just hope that they can start holding defenses to field goals because it's not gonna change when it's the head coach that's controlling it....no matter who the guy supposed to be running it is.

    This is not a fire Shanahan thread...its a calm down and enjoy the offense thread because that is our coaching philosophy right now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    1,861
    I agree with you, but you're never gonna convince these other guys, and they're going to keep saying the same things. Just don't read their stupid threads.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    0
    I absolutely agree with you. I dont know what people have said on these boards about Bob Slowik, but if there is a bunch of chatter that he needs to get fired, then it should stop

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,650
    It's not shanahans fault either. And if you missed the thread a couple of weeks ago he doesn't call the shots. The coordinator does and shanny just has the option to overrule. But it really makes no difference who the DC is or what Shanny does the pure and simple fact is we don't have very talented defensive players on the line or at the safety position. We could probably use 1 or 2 Lb upgrades as well. I don't care if the snazziest DC in the league comes in their not gonna get anything of quality out of our players. We are 2-3 drafts away from having a vastly improved defense and until then we just have to hope the offense can win games.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    552
    Shanahan actually doesn't run the defense but he does run the personnel. If you improve the personnel than you improve the defense.

    Having said that, Slowik has failed everywhere he's been and he's failing again right now. Shanahan has had good defenses with other coordinators since he's been here. It's probably to early to say who's more at fault here, but it's not hard to see Slowik's the common denominator thus far. He's notorious for creating defenses that are easy to beat in the passing game. So far this looks like the same Slowik defense.

    And anyway its a Bronco board and if people want to start a thread asking for him to be fired, they have every right to.
    KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by shalowlow View Post
    Guys, its pretty clear....different coordinator......same "bend don't break" defense.

    Slowik doesn't run the defense, Shanahan does. It's the same philosophy every year, no matter the coordinator...don't give up the big play, give them everything underneath, hold them to a field goal. The scheme isn't really conducive to a pass rush; even a good pass rusher needs more time than it takes to get a pass to a wide open receiver 8 yards downfield. That's why we have so much problems with people coming out of the backfield because our secondary gives such a big cushion.

    So the question is what really can be done? Nothing really, just hope for a field goal I guess.

    I think we should stop getting so worked up about the defense and it's "coordinator" and just hope that they can start holding defenses to field goals because it's not gonna change when it's the head coach that's controlling it....no matter who the guy supposed to be running it is.

    This is not a fire Shanahan thread...its a calm down and enjoy the offense thread because that is our coaching philosophy right now.
    Shanahan has never run a defense his entire life and doesn't want to. Robinson and Coyer have been our best defensive coordinators in the past 10 years, because their schemes did put lots of pressure on the QB. Don't you remember '05 under Coyer? That D may have been better than the Super Bowl years!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by TorainTrain42 View Post
    I absolutely agree with you. I dont know what people have said on these boards about Bob Slowik, but if there is a bunch of chatter that he needs to get fired, then it should stop
    If at the end of the season, we're still ranked in the bottom 5 defensively, he should be fired or demoted.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    0
    With that statement I can agree. As far as nonsense about firing Slowik a 1/4 through the season I dont agree.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    It's not shanahans fault either. And if you missed the thread a couple of weeks ago he doesn't call the shots. The coordinator does and shanny just has the option to overrule. But it really makes no difference who the DC is or what Shanny does the pure and simple fact is we don't have very talented defensive players on the line or at the safety position. We could probably use 1 or 2 Lb upgrades as well. I don't care if the snazziest DC in the league comes in their not gonna get anything of quality out of our players. We are 2-3 drafts away from having a vastly improved defense and until then we just have to hope the offense can win games.
    It is partly Shanahan's fault. We should still have Coyer running the D, but Shanny got impatient and fired a great DC. And ever since, Shanahan has hired the wrong people to run the D. He needs to hire an experienced DC and then give him a few years to build the D. Maybe we should have kept Bates--he has an impressive resume, but didn't get the time to create the D he wanted.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    It's not shanahans fault either. And if you missed the thread a couple of weeks ago he doesn't call the shots. The coordinator does and shanny just has the option to overrule. But it really makes no difference who the DC is or what Shanny does the pure and simple fact is we don't have very talented defensive players on the line or at the safety position. We could probably use 1 or 2 Lb upgrades as well. I don't care if the snazziest DC in the league comes in their not gonna get anything of quality out of our players. We are 2-3 drafts away from having a vastly improved defense and until then we just have to hope the offense can win games.
    I realize that he doesn't call every single play on defense....but I have a feeling that he has told his coordinator what "kind" of defense he wants...I don't see why that's such a far fetched thought.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,318
    Since Glen Robinson, Shanny's hiring/firing defensive coordinators so often, he's starting to look like Al Davis' head-coach revolving door!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by mct1967 View Post
    Since Glen Robinson, Shanny's hiring/firing defensive coordinators so often, he's starting to look like Al Davis' head-coach revolving door!
    Shanny didn't fire all of those d-coordinators. A couple, including Coyer, left for personal reasons and where not fired. I will dig up an old article about it when I get off work if it is needed.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    Shanny didn't fire all of those d-coordinators. A couple, including Coyer, left for personal reasons and where not fired. I will dig up an old article about it when I get off work if it is needed.
    You are wrong...kind of. Coyer was asked to take on a lesser role which he declined which led to his subsequent release. Rodes left for "personal reasons" only to join up with his good buddy in Seatle.

    I thought Coyer was a very good first half DC but was horrible at making adjustments in the second half. We tried to win having a good D and an OK offense and it worked but not enough to win the Championship. I like the new approach of a potent offense (ala Elway years) and a defense that allows you to score more than your opponent. Last year was tough. We clearly didn't have the personal to run Bate's system and we're again facing the same situation only a little different. By that I mean that we just lack tallent where Bates needed certain size and types of players to execute his scheme.

    I look forward to the next 1-2 years where we will clearly focus on upgrading several positions on defense via the draft and free agency. There is nothing except injuries and bad personal moves that will keep us from being an elite team at that time.
    Last edited by DiegoBRONCOFAN; 10-01-2008 at 01:50 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
    You are wrong...kind of. Coyer was asked to take on a lesser role which he declined which led to his subsequent release. Rodes left for "personal reasons" only to join up with his good buddy in Seatle.
    I am not saying I am right but are you sure you aren't talking about Bates? Your explanation of Coyer is exactly why Bates left. It could be that both had the same thing happen, I am trying to remember this info from an article that was posted here a long time ago.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    I am not saying I am right but are you sure you aren't talking about Bates? Your explanation of Coyer is exactly why Bates left. It could be that both had the same thing happen, I am trying to remember this info from an article that was posted here a long time ago.

    Yes, I'm certain it was Coyer. It all happened around Darrents death which is why the timing is so clear to me. I remember how emotional he and his wife were that he was no longer going to be part of the organization. I believe he was offered the LB's coaching position?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •