Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    Itunes is simply a media player, which will store and organize mp3's, videos, podcasts, etc.

It's also has a store where you can buy and download music and videos.
    iKnoes

Just messin

I haven't really gotten into mp3's etc. I've got an mp3 player which I loaded with about three albums wayback. Haven't added any since. Probably forgotten how to!

*heads off to create a "how large is your cassette rack" thread for some discussion with Broncomaniac69*

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    How do you backup your iTunes library onto an external hardrive?
    Well I don't have an external hard drive.... But all you would do (I'm pretty sure) is

locate your itunes music folder under "My Music"

locate your external hard drive under my computer - It would be under the removable storage section, probably something called external hard drive or something.

Then simply drag that Itunes music folder to the external hard drive, and let everything copy over. It will take some time, depending on how large your itunes music folder is.

Well I don't have an external hard drive.... But all you would do (I'm pretty sure) is

locate your external hard drive under my computer - It would be under the removable storage section, probably something called external hard drive or something.

Then simply drag that Itunes music folder to the external hard drive, and let everything copy over. It will take some time, depending on how large your itunes music folder is.
    Oh CRAP! That is too easy! Course.... my hd is ****ed right now and WD is not avaialble for download support of software right now.

Thank you for the advise though!

I learned a long time ago to stay away from proprietary programs and devices so I don't do iTunes, but I've been immersed in layer-3 tech going way back... I even have some old .bit files (the previous extension for mp3s). Like many others my library was relatively small until about '99 or so when Napster came about.

Anyway... no screen captures, but I'm currently sitting at 7,255 songs taking up 31.55 GB. We have around 600 CDs that we haven't ripped yet... I want to, but I need to have the time too. When done that should more than double my mp3 collection. I've considered (only briefly) to convert all the cassettes and vinyl, but just the thought of that task is daunting so I doubt I'll ever get around to doing it.

I back up regularly on another hard drive and to DVD.

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Quote Originally Posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
    I learned a long time ago to stay away from proprietary programs and devices so I don't do iTunes, but I've been immersed in layer-3 tech going way back... I even have some old .bit files (the previous extension for mp3s). Like many others my library was relatively small until about '99 or so when Napster came about.

Anyway... no screen captures, but I'm currently sitting at 7,255 songs taking up 31.55 GB. We have around 600 CDs that we haven't ripped yet... I want to, but I need to have the time too. When done that should more than double my mp3 collection. I've considered (only briefly) to convert all the cassettes and vinyl, but just the thought of that task is daunting so I doubt I'll ever get around to doing it.

I back up regularly on another hard drive and to DVD.

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
    i do agree that proprietary programs do suck at times, i do like itunes interface though but yes, sometimes their proprietary crap really pisses me off

a good alternative is media monkey

they handle large mp3 libraries well and their artwork

Basically this is accurate, however once you only have to copied over everything 1 time you should be good. Thereafter that you just need keep all of your data in "sync", for instance when adding a new album I copy over the new music folder/files to each one of my external drives. As you add more music you will see a few files within your library grow (i.e. iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.itl, & iTunes Music).

You will want to make copies of these files periodically, also as iTunes goes through updates it will periodically create a "previous iTunes Libraries" folder. I sometimes make copies of this too but as long as I have copies of my other files I'm good to go.

In the event of a system crash you copy over your music folder with music files along with these files and your iTunes should be good.

Thx,
    Joe
    To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

**Team Signature Compliments of Stand Ablaze**

Quote Originally Posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
    AC/DC isn't embarrassing though. What I have at the beginning of my A's is very, very embarrassing.
    ABBA is it?
    Current morale factor (on a scale of 1-10): -1000 and dropping like a lead balloon.

Reason: Thanks a lot Bowlen, McDaniels and Cutler!

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    It's gonna suck when/if your comp crashes!!!

I'm just over 8g's now. And that's more then I'll ever listen too... so I have no idea how you manage such large collections.
    LMAO thanks for the comment!

Too bad it came TRUE eb!!

Anyways, had to start my entire library over.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally caught up, have all of my music uploaded in my Itunes + newer albums/songs.

Almost 14 GB!

Got 3553 songs in the library at the moment.
    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

on my old pc i had around 60 gb, 12000 songs... and 72 gb, 14000 on my old ipod..... since then both have broken so i now have 11.16 GB, 1241 on this laptop and around 2,400, 22 GB on the home pc.... although there is some overlap between the two...will provide screenshots later
    Manning Fatigue (noun): The act of being sick as hell of watching a HOF qb take half of forever to decide what to do and just wishing he'd make up his mind.

Music: 2063 songs (8.03 gig)

Movies: 42 (44.37 gig)

TV Shows: 75 episodes (13.89 gig)

Games: 14

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
    I know. What is iTunes?

Do LP's and 8-Track tapes count?
    One of my first cars was a 67 Mustang Fastback. It had an 8 track player in it. I had to go to a yard sale and buy some to play in it. I did get alot of Van Halen and AC/DC and Aerosmith, etc, to play it in.

Nothing impressed a girl in HS in the 90s like an 8 Track player.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Mine is up to 2,157 songs

This summer I am going on a road trip with my mom, and we are going to try and listen to my entire itunes library in alphabetical order. No skipping allowed.

It is going to be interesting.
    ...capture it...remember it...

Quote Originally Posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
    Mine is up to 2,157 songs

This summer I am going on a road trip with my mom, and we are going to try and listen to my entire itunes library in alphabetical order. No skipping allowed.

It is going to be interesting.
    Hope you're not a ZZ Top fan, you'll have a long wait.
    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

Still no pics buy I am up to 40GB and over 9,000 songs. That works out to about 18 days.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!