View Poll Results: Anderson the GOAT?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he is!!

4 57.14%
  • No, he isn't.

3 42.86%
Page 178 of 353 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 176 177 178 179 180 188 228 278 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 5294

Thread: MMA Thread.

Retired him? Brock even said he made a promise to his family that he would retire if he lost.

Diaz retired BJ Penn

I like JDS over overeem.

Quote Originally Posted by jc13 View Post
    I like JDS over overeem.
    Alright that's fine. The great thing is we will find out!

To tell you the truth I actually was more nervous vs Lesnar because Lesnar would try to put REEM where he doesn't like, on his back. Maybe JDS will surprise us with a takedown but if his gameplan is to strike with Overeem he is a dead man... DEAD

Man those body shots looked sore, poor Lesnar. He really didn't look that in shape either, but it's clear his intenstinal issues really affected him here. Seems only right to retire.

To the WWE he goes.

Wow... Not many people talking about the fight last night...

I'm still partying!!!!

Thank god Fitch lost. Hopefully I'll never have to see him again on the main card. Dude doesn't even have any fans. Dana White should just cut him.

Lol @ Lesnar. Been a huge fan of Ubereem for a while, glad to see him make it big now.
    I will admit though, that he got kinda lucky in the K1 2010 GP. All the stars kinda lined up right for him to win it. His path to the top was pretty easy (relatively). No Hari, Saki was hurt, Aerts is Schilt's kryptonite and was exhausted from beating Schilt. Had Overeem faced a healthy Saki or Schilt, things could have been different.

JDS is gonna get murked by the Reem.

Quote Originally Posted by texasbroncfan View Post
    LOL. Reem retired Brock! Didn't just beat him, retired him. Didn't he say before the fight he, for the first time in a long time, felt 100% and like the old Brock?

He was a good publicity stunt.
    Oh yeah retired 50% Brock not been his self since life threating illness 15 inces of colon removed most athletes would retire and quit and not come back. Anyone with brain that is not blind or a hater knows Brock has not been same since the illness diverticulitis two times and 2nd Mir fight. Sad to see Brock go, he was one of my idols growing up but his time has come. To bad we never saw Brock enter MMA at young age of 22 or 23 without a doubt would of been top 2 HW ever now with his career ended I would say top 10-15 HW all-time....

Brock was another Mark Coleman but the much better athlete and BJJ game.

Bye Brock! :wave: It was fun ride while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillez View Post
    Oh yeah retired 50% Brock not been his self since life threating illness 15 inces of colon removed most athletes would retire and quit and not come back. Anyone with brain that is not blind or a hater knows Brock has not been same since the illness diverticulitis two times and 2nd Mir fight. Sad to see Brock go, he was one of my idols growing up but his time has come. To bad we never saw Brock enter MMA at young age of 22 or 23 without a doubt would of been top 2 HW ever now with his career ended I would say top 10-15 HW all-time....

Brock was another Mark Coleman but the much better athlete and BJJ game.

Bye Brock! :wave: It was fun ride while it lasted.
    LOL

It's not hard to submit a gassed out guy who is just laying their arms up for you to get him in a brabo/arm triangle.

Regardless, thank god Brock is gone.

Came up with this comparison today-- Tim Tebow is the Brock Lesnar of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by NickTranOwnz View Post
    LOL

It's not hard to submit a gassed out guy who is just laying their arms up for you to get him in a brabo/arm triangle.

Regardless, thank god Brock is gone.

Came up with this comparison today-- Tim Tebow is the Brock Lesnar of the NFL.
    Yes he was gassed but he was purple belt in BJJ which is pretty good. Brock in a way was Matt Hughes great takedowns, combine wrestling with some good sub defense. Tebow lol?!? Brock won UFC Heavyweight championship and deafened the title 2 times so get out of here hater. Last I checked Brock had 3rd longest title regin in UFC history at HW and was ranked #1 HW for two years. Let me know when Tebow top dog at QB until than don't compare them. Brock was great for short period of time, life threating illness beat Brock Lesnar not Overeem.
    Last edited by Chillez; 01-02-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillez View Post
    Yes he was gassed but he was purple belt in BJJ which is pretty good. Brock in a way was Matt Hughes great takedowns, combine wrestling with some good sub defense. Tebow lol?!? Brock won UFC Heavyweight championship and deafened the title 2 times so get out of here hater. Last I checked Brock had 3rd longest title regin in UFC history at HW and was ranked #1 HW for two years. Let me know when Tebow top dog at QB until than don't compare them. Brock was great for short period of time, life threating illness beat Brock Lesnar not Overeem.
    I respect Lesnar and everything he's accomplished. He did a lot better than anyone expected, and he would always fight anyone anywhere with no excuses.

Having said that, Overeem beat his ass like an unwanted stepchild, I don't wanna hear the deverticulitis excuse. Brock wouldn't use it and neither should you.

The fact that Lesnar was thrown into the big leagues like that since the start is an amazing feat in itself. Not to mention his health problems where he almost died in more than one occasion.

If he was brought up slowly I definitely think he would've had a long lasting career.

But I still think he should have bull rushed the Reem in that fight. I knew it was over when he was still standing with him 20 seconds into the fight.

Lesnar's takedowns (aka the bullrush) can be seen from a mile away. Lesnar doesn't set it up at all and shoots from way too far out. Overeem could sprawl and stuff it (especially with his weight) if he had half a brain.

Overeem threw down Brett Rogers (265+) like a ragdoll in their fight. He probably could do the same to Lesnar.

Overeem also is known for his guillotine, which also could have made Brock hesitant in his shots.

Regardless, Lesnar just doesn't have it in him to be a successful MMA fighter. His good "qualities" are laughable. Ground and pound? BJJ? LOL! Lesnar has pillow fists (relatively). Mir I - wasn't it something like 60 hammerfists? Mir was still conscious. Couture? He wasn't even out when the fight was called.

Overeem has some real ground and pound. Most of the GnP at the end of the Lesnar fight got blocked by Lesnar's hands but Lesnar still couldn't do anything. TKOd by punches to the hands.

The Brock Lesnar fans saw at UFC 141 was a greatly diminished athlete according to MMA and pro wrestling business guru Dave Meltzer. Meltzer spoke to MMA Nation's Luke Thomas about Lesnar, his legacy and physical condition coming into his fight with Alistair Overeem:

I think that Brock saw that athletically, he wasn't what he once was and that's all he had going for him. He was a very good athlete who's athletic ability transferred very well to fighting. He was not a great all-around fighter and he was too old to become that. If he was 27 and he goes, "I can shore up these weaknesses," he's 34 and got a lot of mileage. Those four years of pro wrestling took a lot out of his body. There's injuries everywhere and I think that illness devastated him and I think you could see the difference.

I don't think Brock's nearly as quick as he was a couple years ago and that's the difference. I'm sure he can lift the same weights, he's huge but he was never that great all-around fighter. When you lose that speed, there are exceptions but you don't see a lot of freestyle wrestlers in the heavyweight division at 34 competing for Olympic gold. Karelin was done at 32, he was a Greco guy but he was done at 32 so he was even younger than Brock and Kerelin was the biggest physical freak of all physical freaks. Far more than Brock ever was. That's kind of like your prototype. Guys like that, when their bodies break down and they lose that thing, they're done at that level and like most of them, I think that when both of them in their minds thought they were done, they got out.

Fans who are quick to write off Lesnar as a non-talent in MMA are deeply ignorant of the realities of injury, illness and aging on an athlete in his mid-30's. The sad reality is we'll never know what a healthy Lesnar may have accomplished in MMA. I invite all the fans who are calling him 'exposed' 'bully' and 'front-runner' to have a foot of their large intestine removed and then get in the cage with Cain Velasquez and Alistair Overeem.

Meltzer elaborates on Lesnar's legacy and what might have been:

I think he probably could have been the greatest heavyweight we've ever seen because he did have those athletic gifts and he would have been, at 22, I don't think physically just looking at him he would have been a great striker, but he had such power that I think he could have been a knockout guy and a decent enough striker to set up his wrestling and he'd have been the best wrestler if he'd kept his wrestling up.

You've got to remember, he took eight years off wrestling and then he came back in the sport. You don't see a lot of guys take eight years off wrestling and come back and be what they once were as wrestlers so that Brock Lesnar, yeah, I think he could have been an all-time great. This one coming in at that age, he had a lot going against him but if he didn't have the diverticulitis and he would have been in camp year-round and he would have been learning the submissions because he probably could have been pretty good at the submission game because that comes from wrestling and I think he probably would have done pretty well with that because he is a great student and he's not a stranger to training hard. Striking, he probably never would have been great at, but I think he would have been a lot better.

What was gonna hurt him was when the speed was gone because the speed made him more than the power. Power's great, it is, but this is a speed sport. You look at all of these guys, when they lose a bit of that speed, that's when they fall from the top. It's not when they lose the power. At some point, a guy of his size, 35-36, it still would be tough I would think. I think the diverticulitis, it had to take a lot out of him.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/2/...ess-at-ufc-141

There you guys can have field day with this look at anyway you want I could care less to be honest.

oh.....and I completely forgot that on top of the 8 year gap, the wwe damage, and the complete inexperience.

He also started suffering a terrible disease almost at the beginning of his MMA career.

It's almost like a bad joke how many obstacles the guy had to overcome and still managed to win three UFC titles (even though yes the shot was undeserved)

Here's your sig for the next 2 months Chillez.

Sorry about your boy Brock, I know how you feel, as I have suffered through too many Overeem losses myself. It sucks he retired but he did more in a few fights than many do in an entire career. If he's gonna go out, it's no shame to go out against the best striker in the division.

WAR OVEREEM!!!!!!

Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos suspended 1 year for testing positive for steroids. I'm not that much into Women's MMA, the only time I watch it is in the Strikeforce or Dream cards occasionally. But I do know that she is the best female fighter in the world. Here's a link to the story.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/74...-steroids-test