X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baphamet
    Family Trust Beer
    • Nov 2006

those were some bad ass fights last night, most brutal arm break and knockout i have seen in a long time, was awesome! :dance:

Comment

• baphamet
      Family Trust Beer
      • Nov 2006

oh and dont forget ben Saunders, he turned that other dudes face into the elephant man, man was that a sweet night of fights!

Comment

• Nightwing
        Special Teams
        • Jun 2004

How' bout that!?

AWESOME PPV. I was so pumped during the Big Nog/Mir fight. Frank Mir put on the performance of his career. To come out and dominate one of the greatest heavyweights of all time? That was a thing of beauty. He picked Big Nog apart with relative ease, landing shots whenever he wanted. I'm a huge Mir fan and I never expected him to knock out who had never been stopped before.

People might say Big Nog was off of his game but I think that's a big excuse. This is the Big Nog we've always seen. He takes punishment early on and comes on strong in the later rounds. He always throws looping punches, so Mir worked inside the pocket and used uppercuts and hooks to deal some damages. And unlike most people when they knock Big Nog down, Mir had the skill to avoid being submitted. It was a perfect gameplan exectued with an awesome display of skill.

Brock Lesnar needs to be scared right now. If that Frank Mir shows up for the rematch, Lesnar once again isn't going to make it out of the first round.
        Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.

It is men who endure toil and dare danger that achieve glorious deeds, and it is a wonderful thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown.

Comment

• ebsoria
          Former Mod Of Steel
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Nightwing View Post
          How' bout that!?

AWESOME PPV. I was so pumped during the Big Nog/Mir fight. Frank Mir put on the performance of his career. To come out and dominate one of the greatest heavyweights of all time? That was a thing of beauty. He picked Big Nog apart with relative ease, landing shots whenever he wanted. I'm a huge Mir fan and I never expected him to knock out who had never been stopped before.

People might say Big Nog was off of his game but I think that's a big excuse. This is the Big Nog we've always seen. He takes punishment early on and comes on strong in the later rounds. He always throws looping punches, so Mir worked inside the pocket and used uppercuts and hooks to deal some damages. And unlike most people when they knock Big Nog down, Mir had the skill to avoid being submitted. It was a perfect gameplan exectued with an awesome display of skill.

Brock Lesnar needs to be scared right now. If that Frank Mir shows up for the rematch, Lesnar once again isn't going to make it out of the first round.
          Mir looked damn good. I was excited to see Mir back and call Brock out like that. And Forrest? I didn't see him winning even if I was pulling for him. /sigh Oh well.... but that shot from Rampage?!?! "Boop"!!! LMAO!!! That was a clean ko shot in the right spot. I dunno why... but I'm kind apullin for Cheike(or whatever it is) to get better and make some noise too.
          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

• baphamet
            Family Trust Beer
            • Nov 2006

How' bout that!?

agreed and if mir cant stop lesnar i don't think anyone can, unless nog makes a comeback or fedor steps in the octagon.

Comment

• baphamet
              Family Trust Beer
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
              Mir looked damn good. I was excited to see Mir back and call Brock out like that. And Forrest? I didn't see him winning even if I was pulling for him. /sigh Oh well.... but that shot from Rampage?!?! "Boop"!!! LMAO!!! That was a clean ko shot in the right spot. I dunno why... but I'm kind apullin for Cheike(or whatever it is) to get better and make some noise too.
              i hate rashad but that dude is a straight bad ass now, i think he can be beat but it wont be easy, dude is a beast.

rampage could challenge him soon perhaps, that would be a pretty good fight.

Comment

• xX-Bronco-Xx
                Is this the real life?
                • Jul 2005

Frank Mir won't look that confident once he sees Lesnar in the octagon again guaranteed.

Only way he's going to beat Brock is by submission and I think Brock will be more then ready for that.

Comment

• Nightwing
                  Special Teams
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                  Frank Mir won't look that confident once he sees Lesnar in the octagon again guaranteed.

Only way he's going to beat Brock is by submission and I think Brock will be more then ready for that.
                  I have to disagree. Brock looked more nervous than anyone when Mir called him out after the fight. A lot of the fight game is psychological. While Brock Lesnar has never been short on confidence, he's well aware of the fact that Mir beat him before, and in less than two minutes.

I also think Mir has more ways to win than just submission.

If you re-watch the Couture/Lesnar fight, Brock wasn't winning the wrestling battle like he should have, especially with an opponent he outweighted by a considerable amount. His wrestling advantage usually comes from size and athleticism.

Mir came in at 251 pounds, I believe, which is a lot more than Couture came in at. The size will be a little more even this time around. Frank Mir also didn't look remotely winded after the fight with Nog, so his cardio is up, where as Lesnar was looking fatigued towards the end of his fight with Couture.

Lesnar's striking has never been crisp, he just happens to have a considerable amount of power in his hands. Mir, on the other hand, showed some beautiful combos and ability to work the 'pocket' during his fight with Nog.

Basically, Mir could out point him on his feet, definitely within the realn of possibility, and take a decision.

I expect Mir to come out and land a lot of leg kicks, send Lesnar into wrestler mode, where the fight will be taken to the ground.

Lesnar won't finish Mir on the ground. Herring, who doesn't have near the ground game of Mir (and had severe damage to one eye) was able to with stand Brock's top game.

I think Mir will end up catching him in a triangle or something to that effect.

Also, just to take into consideration, Mir has the power in his hands to stop Lesnar too. Mir has never been knocked out.
                  Last edited by Nightwing; 01-02-2009, 05:26 AM.

It is men who endure toil and dare danger that achieve glorious deeds, and it is a wonderful thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown.

Comment

• baphamet
                    Family Trust Beer
                    • Nov 2006

I have to disagree. Brock looked more nervous than anyone when Mir called him out after the fight. A lot of the fight game is psychological. While Brock Lesnar has never been short on confidence, he's well aware of the fact that Mir beat him before, and in less than two minutes.

I also think Mir has more ways to win than just submission.

If you re-watch the Couture/Lesnar fight, Brock wasn't winning the wrestling battle like he should have, especially with an opponent he outweighted by a considerable amount. His wrestling advantage usually comes from size and athleticism.

Mir came in at 251 pounds, I believe, which is a lot more than Couture came in at. The size will be a little more even this time around. Frank Mir also didn't look remotely winded after the fight with Nog, so his cardio is up, where as Lesnar was looking fatigued towards the end of his fight with Couture.

Lesnar's striking has never been crisp, he just happens to have a considerable amount of power in his hands. Mir, on the other hand, showed some beautiful combos and ability to work the 'pocket' during his fight with Nog.

Basically, Mir could out point him on his feet, definitely within the realn of possibility, and take a decision.

I expect Mir to come out and land a lot of leg kicks, send Lesnar into wrestler mode, where the fight will be taken to the ground.

Lesnar won't finish Mir on the ground. Herring, who doesn't have near the ground game of Mir (and had severe damage to one eye) was able to with stand Brock's top game.

I think Mir will end up catching him in a triangle or something to that effect.

Also, just to take into consideration, Mir has the power in his hands to stop Lesnar too. Mir has never been knocked out.
                    lesnar already completely dominated mir the first time (before the submission), i don't think mir has a chance other than a submission.

nobody has a chance against this guy on the feet unless lesnar choses not to take it to the ground.

he can take anybody down and control them on the ground, i really don't see how you thought randy got the better end of the wrestling in that fight to be quite honest.

in the first fight lesnar took mir down with absolute easy, he dominated him on the ground until he made the mistake of getting caught with a submission.

i don't think anybody has a chance against lesnar unless they get a submission on him or he decides not to take it to the ground, even then lesnar is dangerous with his freakish power.

Comment

• ebsoria
                      Former Mod Of Steel
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                      lesnar already completely dominated mir the first time (before the submission), i don't think mir has a chance other than a submission.

nobody has a chance against this guy on the feet unless lesnar choses not to take it to the ground.

he can take anybody down and control them on the ground, i really don't see how you thought randy got the better end of the wrestling in that fight to be quite honest.

in the first fight lesnar took mir down with absolute easy, he dominated him on the ground until he made the mistake of getting caught with a submission.

i don't think anybody has a chance against lesnar unless they get a submission on him or he decides not to take it to the ground, even then lesnar is dangerous with his freakish power.
                      I dunno baph... Mir this past weekend was a different and confident Mir then I've seen in a few years. Nightwing made a good point... Lesnar didn't look all that excited when Mir called him out. Mir just might be back. That makes me happy.

I agree about Evans though... I don't like him. I especially didn't like that little kiss and nut tap he did. Right then I was hoping he'd get his lights turned out. But sadly.... it didn't. He is a bad-ass right now and I don't think he's giving up that belt anytime soon.
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

• Nightwing
                        Special Teams
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by baphamet View Post

I don't think Brock Lesnar dominated Mir the first time around. While Lesnar was able to score a quick take down, he also landed some rabbit punches to the back of Mir's head, which does have an effect on the fight.

It wasn't luck that Mir beat him. Brock was flailing around in an over aggressive state trying to finish off someone that had a far superior ground game. He made a rookie mistake and he paid for it.

I also think it's an exaggeration to say that Lesnar can take anyone down. It didn't come so easily to him with Couture and even then he had a difficult time keeping him on the ground. And the ground is one place that Lesnar absolutely does not want to go to with Mir.

The thing about Frank Mir is his guard game isn't your typical heavyweight guard game. He's very agile on his back and can transition to some pretty sick submissions. Brock isn't going to want any of that but Mir will leg kick him enough that he has no choice.

On the feet? Technique clearly goes to Mir. He's superior over Lesnar at everything when it comes to striking outside of power. Mir displayed a good feet and head movement in his fight with Big Nog, better than Couture did with Lesnar.

If it were simply a striking match, Mir could out point him, or even stop him. We really have no idea how good Brock's chin is yet.

I phrased it wrong when describing the wrestling aspect of the Couture/Lesnar match. Lesnar, having a significant weight advtange, was not able to push Couture around like one might have expected. And when he did take him to the ground he wasn't able to hold him or land any significant amounts of damage.

Mir is a worse match up for Lesnar than Couture was. I'd break it down like this.

Striking: Advantage Mir, though Lesnar always has a puncher's chance.
                        BJJ: Mir, by a long shot.
                        Wrestling: Lesnar
                        Cardio: Judging by each fighter's last performance, Mir looked to have much better cardio, which is a big surprise.

Mir has the tools to beat Lesnar and I think he'll do it. Brock is going to have to get in the cage with man that has already beat him, and I think it'll play a big role mentally.

I also believe there are several heavyweights that could give Lesnar a great fight, if not beat him.

Cheick Kongo (Much better striker than Brock, has improved his take down defense)
                        Fabricio Werdum (High Level BJJ)
                        Fedor (Easily the best heavyweight)
                        Alistair Overeem (Sick, sick striking)
                        Josh Barnett
                        Andrei Arlovsky

Comment

• Nightwing
                          Special Teams
                          • Jun 2004

UFC 94 was everything that I had expected it to be. While a large majority of the fights went to decision I didn't think that made them any less entertaining.

Nate Diaz vs Clay Guida
                          I'll start by saying that I personally dislike Diaz for the way that he conducts himself in and outside of the ring. The same goes for his brother. I try (whether successful or not) to keep my bias in check. While this fight might not be considered the most exciting I thought it provided plenty of action and was thoroughly watchable.

Diaz, notorious for his slick transitions and ground game, was really unable to deal with the relentlessness that is Clay Guida. Once Guida had a hold on Diaz he wasn't going to let go. Nate proved to be better on the feet (which is understandable considering his huge reach advantage). His punches lacked power but that's the way that he always fights. A volume puncher compared to a KO artist. The decision went to the right person but I think Guida will struggle with the top ecchelon on fighters. Kenny Florian, Diego Sanchez, Sherk, and Penn should all give him fits.

Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
                          Awesome match between two accomplished jūdōkas. It was nice to see The Heat back in the octagon after numerous injuries and personal problems. I think the fight went as expected with the two engaging in a grappling match. Kim has some beautiful sweeps and was able to get Karo's back almost at will. Stand up definitely favored Parisyan with his hard right hook. I don't agree with the judge's decision, however. Outside of one beautiful judo toss Dong Hyun Kim was getting the better of the grappling and the striking aspect didn't play too big of a part in the match. I think Kim did enough to earn a victory.

Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
                          Stephan 'The American Psycho' Bonnar has been one of my favorite fighters since watching the first season of The Ultimate Fighter. Ultimately I think fighting someone as athletic and explosive as Jon Jones after a fifteen month layoff was a little too soon. Jones is a force to be reckoned with. His striking is unorthodox and wild but his wrestling is awe inspiring. He was able to toss Bonnar around like he was a lightweight. I do question the spinning elbow that dropped Stephan. To me it looked as if it hit him in the back of the head which is a no-no. It doesn't take anything away from Jones' victory though.

Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
                          Outside of the main event this was the fight that I was really looking forward to the most. Lyoto gets a lot of slack for the way that he fights which I don't think is warranted. Most people that dislike him (not all) believe in fighting to get hit in the face or something.

Lyoto controlled the fight right from the get go. He was able to come it at angles while remaining elusive. Silva followed him which was a mistake that most of his opponents make. Machida would step in and deliver devistating shots without ever getting touched. The knock out was brutal. After landing a beautiful foot sweep which left Thiago on the ground, the punch that followed put an end to the stop. Awesome KO to see happen and I hope it silenced some of Lyoto's critics.

Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn
                          The match up that everyone had been waiting for after GSP's controversial victory in 2006. Primetime did a good job of building up to the event and showed each fighter in their own light.

I want to say that I realize a lot of the talk was hype but I truly believed that Penn crossed the line with some of his comments. There's a difference between trash talking to sell the fight and just disrespecting your opponent and everyone associated with him. I think BJ Penn did the latter. And what is it that they say about karma?

The fight itself? Complete and utter domination by Georges St. Pierre. The first round was spent mainly grappling with GSP landing the harder shots in the clinch. The second round was more of the same though the fight did hit the ground.

What happened in the third and fourth rounds was one of the worst one-sided beatdowns that I've ever seen. BJ Penn was utterly dismantled and dominated in every aspect of mixed martial arts. He had no answer for Georges' jab or his take downs. Hammerfists and elbows were landed on Penn without any break and his guard with passed at will. In a lot of ways I thought this was even worse than what GSP did to Jon Fitch.

Personally I think that BJ Penn dug him own grave with all the talk before the fight. Calling Georges St. Pierre a quitter and other various insults. As it turns out it was Penn who ended up quitting that night. I think after the second round BJ was shattered mentally and physically. Which really makes me question if his head will be in the right place when he fights the ever improving Kenny Florian.

Comment

• Raiderfan76
                            Wrote the book on pain
                            • Apr 2005

You guys should check out the link in my sig, it's a great MMA site!

Comment

• Chillez
                              Football Immortal
                              • Sep 2008

I don't think Brock Lesnar dominated Mir the first time around. While Lesnar was able to score a quick take down, he also landed some rabbit punches to the back of Mir's head, which does have an effect on the fight.

It wasn't luck that Mir beat him. Brock was flailing around in an over aggressive state trying to finish off someone that had a far superior ground game. He made a rookie mistake and he paid for it.

I also think it's an exaggeration to say that Lesnar can take anyone down. It didn't come so easily to him with Couture and even then he had a difficult time keeping him on the ground. And the ground is one place that Lesnar absolutely does not want to go to with Mir.

The thing about Frank Mir is his guard game isn't your typical heavyweight guard game. He's very agile on his back and can transition to some pretty sick submissions. Brock isn't going to want any of that but Mir will leg kick him enough that he has no choice.

On the feet? Technique clearly goes to Mir. He's superior over Lesnar at everything when it comes to striking outside of power. Mir displayed a good feet and head movement in his fight with Big Nog, better than Couture did with Lesnar.

If it were simply a striking match, Mir could out point him, or even stop him. We really have no idea how good Brock's chin is yet.

I phrased it wrong when describing the wrestling aspect of the Couture/Lesnar match. Lesnar, having a significant weight advtange, was not able to push Couture around like one might have expected. And when he did take him to the ground he wasn't able to hold him or land any significant amounts of damage.

Mir is a worse match up for Lesnar than Couture was. I'd break it down like this.

Striking: Advantage Mir, though Lesnar always has a puncher's chance.
                              BJJ: Mir, by a long shot.
                              Wrestling: Lesnar
                              Cardio: Judging by each fighter's last performance, Mir looked to have much better cardio, which is a big surprise.

Mir has the tools to beat Lesnar and I think he'll do it. Brock is going to have to get in the cage with man that has already beat him, and I think it'll play a big role mentally.

I also believe there are several heavyweights that could give Lesnar a great fight, if not beat him.

Cheick Kongo (Much better striker than Brock, has improved his take down defense)
                              Fabricio Werdum (High Level BJJ)
                              Fedor (Easily the best heavyweight)
                              Alistair Overeem (Sick, sick striking)
                              Josh Barnett
                              Andrei Arlovsky
                              HAHA you make me laugh Mir just had surgery which kinda sucks he just postpone the fight with Brock... I have a gut feeling and watching Frank Mir fight all these years IF He comes in fight over confident and decide "Hey I KO Nog why not Brock" So just going decide to stand and bang with Brock going get TKO in 2RD right it down... FACT: Lesnar knocked down each of his 4 opponets so far in his fight career. Brock has Striking Advantage man. You can't be serious about Mir haveing better striking game

Brock Lesnar favorite fighter for number of reason 1) hes one most gifted athletics I've ever seen for his size and strength the guy moves like a light heavyweight 2) He almost made the NFL for not playing College Football for god sake, Still got invited to NFL Europa 3) Watched him wrestle University of Minnesota meet him few times great guy

Frank Mir got lucky as hell 1st fight against Brock. I give Mir 25% chance of winning the fight. I did not think going KO Nog so anything possible especially in MMA.. We shall see it wont go all 5 rounds count on that. :thumb:

BROCK "THE NEXT BIG THING" LESNAR!!! :salute!:
                              Last edited by Chillez; 03-17-2009, 06:07 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Nightwing
                                Special Teams
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                                HAHA you make me laugh Mir just had surgery which kinda sucks he just postpone the fight with Brock... I have a gut feeling and watching Frank Mir fight all these years IF He comes in fight over confident and decide "Hey I KO Nog why not Brock" So just going decide to stand and bang with Brock going get TKO in 2RD right it down... FACT: Lesnar knocked down each of his 4 opponets so far in his fight career. Brock has Striking Advantage man. You can't be serious about Mir haveing better striking game

Brock Lesnar favorite fighter for number of reason 1) hes one most gifted athletics I've ever seen for his size and strength the guy moves like a light heavyweight 2) He almost made the NFL for not playing College Football for god sake, Still got invited to NFL Europa 3) Watched him wrestle University of Minnesota meet him few times great guy

Frank Mir got lucky as hell 1st fight against Brock. I give Mir 25% chance of winning the fight. I did not think going KO Nog so anything possible especially in MMA.. We shall see it wont go all 5 rounds count on that. :thumb:

BROCK "THE NEXT BIG THING" LESNAR!!! :salute!:
                                Frank Mir got lucky the first time? Lucky? There's no such thing as a lucky submission. It happened because Brock became a spaz and thought the fight was all but finished. He made a rookie mistake and he paid for it. There's nothing remotely lucky about that. Frank Mir has put the time and effort into refining his BJJ, what's lucky about that? Mir is by far the better fighter when the fight hits the ground. I can't begin to fathom how you can call a submission victory lucky.

And do you care to explain to me how Brock Lesnar's striking is superior? Go back and watch every single one of his fights, look closely, and pinpoint somewhere in them that Lesnar shows the technical precision in striking that Mir did against Big Nog. Does Lesnar have power? Sure he does, that much is evident. Is his striking crisp and clean? Far from it. Brock has the power advantage but Mir is the much better technician. He has good footwork, moves his head, works the angles. He displayed fundamental boxing that Lesnar ever has. So, again, explain to me how Brock has the advantage? He has a puncher's chance, of course.

Brock Lesnar is an amazing athlete, I'm not going to argue against that, but Mir is re-dedicated and I wouldn't underestimate his athletic ability. The ground is where Lesnar doesn't want this fight to go. If he starts to spaz with those rabbit punches then Mir is going to take his arm home with him.

Feel free to tell me otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X