Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Did Jay Cutler Play Better in 2007?

Sure, the stats at the end of 08 will look better. After week 3 I'm sure all of us would have put money on Cutler being among the best in the league. However, after three of his last four games, it is very arguable that the bad has caught up to the good when it comes to our 3rd year Bronco quarterback.

Cutler started strong with a 4:1 score-to-turnover ratio. Since then its been a saddening 1:1.2 performance.

We (as fans) have seen...

- underthrown passes
    - overthrown passes
    (when was the last time Cutler threw an accurate deep pass?)
    - locking on to B-Marsh
    - failing to see the underneath LB

As for my thoughts, it has been AWFUL seeing the quarterback that I support do so poorly as of late, especially when the ceiling to his skill level is as high as any passer in football. The talent is there, so why is he making these mistakes? Cutler is in his 3rd year, the so-called "breakout" season.

Scheffler and Stokley have been injured, so what?? He has one of the best #1 receivers in the game and a very good #2 in our rookie Eddie Royal. Darrell Jackson is two years removerd from a 10 TD season. Our FBs and RBs are not scrubs when it comes to catching, either. There are QBs on other teams with a lot less to work with.

In 2007, Cutler may not have had the multiple breakout games he's had this year, but then again he didn't make so many re-occurring bad decisions. Jay had a couple poor games, but more often than not you knew he'd give a solid performance...

... spreading the ball around... hitting his FB on the play-actions instead of forcing it downfield... being accurate on his deep ball...

I wish we had the consistent Cutler from last season. What happened to not making the same slip-up twice? When Andre Hall ****s up or Marshall fumbles in the endzone, they need a leader to step up and be the reliable force in the offense they know can keep them in the game. So far in 08, it seems like Jay's play declines when things don't go his way.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by mx_stiles13; 10-23-2008 at 11:13 PM.

I hate being a stat junkie and stuff...but he is 2nd in the league passing. If he just cuts down on a few int's we would not even be having this discussion. He needs to start each game off with small ball. Make 5-6 completions for 10 yards or less and get a rhythm..then let the ball fly. Hes cocky and confident, which is great, but play a little smart jay and it'll pay off.(in big gains)

I think last season he was still a bit hesitant and restrained by the coaches. This year there are more plays and the offense is a lot more open.

I do wish we had seen more progression in his reads. IMHO he is back to locking onto his WR and looking him all the way through. Quite a few highlights have shown him locking on #15 all the way through not even looking the S off.

Unbelievable.... Jay's playing fine god some of you are amazing

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Unbelievable.... Jay's playing fine god some of you are amazing
    hahaha this is sooo stoopid

a QB that has overthrown and underthrown his recievers . . . how on earth did this guy even get drafted
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
    hahaha this is sooo stoopid

a QB that has overthrown and underthrown his recievers . . . how on earth did this guy even get drafted
    Maybe I should make things more clear for you next time, I shouldn't have to waste my time now.

There should be a "Delete Ignorant Post" button.

Get off my back for once. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I never criticize your opinions on the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    Maybe I should make things more clear for you next time, I shouldn't have to waste my time now.

There should be a "Delete Ignorant Post" button.

Get off my back for once. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I never criticize your opinions on the Broncos.
    thats because my opinions are not that stupid
    -------

Some people are really terrible at detecting sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Double_L View Post
    Some people are really terrible at detecting sarcasm.
    Try looking at every thread I've made. SBboundBroncos always has something negative to say. He hates when people think outside of "his" box.

thats because my opinions are not that stupid
    Goodluck with that mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    Goodluck with that mindset.
    it has nothing to do with my mind set nor does it have to do with me disagreeing with somebody. yes everyone is entitled to their opinions but that doesnt make them intelligent ones

im just sick and tired of people not looking at the big picture around here, from the dre bly sucks threads, to this one

Jay is doing a much better job this year IMO. This last game and KC were his only real Terrible games. and still they were not that bad. you just are thinking that because of how bad the rest of this team is, i mean if we have 1-2 TOs its gonna get us in a nasty rut, our D can not balance out an explosive offense.

they allow long drives, dont force Turnovers/punts, they are just awful

some of you are expecting far too much from Cutler, if cutler turns the ball over the other team has a damn good chance of putting points on the board. our d needs to make up for this by creating TOs for the offense

our O has bailed out the D many times this season, you and i can not expect them to do it week in and week out, its just not realistic, some games the D needs to step up when the offense isnt in sync . . . although they can not do that it seems

im under the impression that while nobody says it everybody on this team knows the D can not be counted on to do anything, sure they may get a good stop but i doubt anyone expects them to do it

punting for us is hardly an option because of this and most believe that in order to stay in the game the O needs to constantly put points on the board. thats why cutler is forcing passes and thats why he goes to his only real weapon lately so much in Marshall. we dont feel like we can take a safe approach and punt it and play field postion because teams take 10 minutes off the clock driving the entire field on us at will

its just reality, open your eyes a little and you may see it, jay isnt playing bad nor is he playing lights out (lately) but he is playing well enough that the D should be able to step up and do their part towards a win (other than maybe the pats game because of ALL the team TOs)
    -------

I think the reason Cutler doesn't seem to be playing as well is because he is not being protected by Shanahan this season. Last year Cutler probably didn't even have close to half of the playbook down, this year he has a lot more on his plate. Cutler will get better as the season goes on.

Shanahan did the right thing by babying Cutler a little bit the past 2 years, maybe Shanny should scale it down a bit if Cutler seems to be struggling.

I wouldn't mind seeing us running the ball a little bit more early in the game, just so Cutler can get into a rhythm. We should lineup in more 2 tightend sets and I formations, and let Cutler throw dump off passes to the backs, throw screens to Selvin (Which we have not been doing as much as we did last year),hand the ball off and then kill'em deep with the playaction. Kinda like what we did with Plummer just so Cutler can get back into his groove.
    Last edited by jdubv724; 10-24-2008 at 01:01 AM.

Sig by Peerless

it has nothing to do with my mind set nor does it have to do with me disagreeing with somebody. yes everyone is entitled to their opinions but that doesnt make them intelligent ones

im just sick and tired of people not looking at the big picture around here, from the dre bly sucks threads, to this one

Jay is doing a much better job this year IMO. This last game and KC were his only real Terrible games. and still they were not that bad. you just are thinking that because of how bad the rest of this team is, i mean if we have 1-2 TOs its gonna get us in a nasty rut, our D can not balance out an explosive offense.

they allow long drives, dont force Turnovers/punts, they are just awful

some of you are expecting far too much from Cutler, if cutler turns the ball over the other team has a damn good chance of putting points on the board. our d needs to make up for this by creating TOs for the offense

our O has bailed out the D many times this season, you and i can not expect them to do it week in and week out, its just not realistic, some games the D needs to step up when the offense isnt in sync . . . although they can not do that it seems

im under the impression that while nobody says it everybody on this team knows the D can not be counted on to do anything, sure they may get a good stop but i doubt anyone expects them to do it

punting for us is hardly an option because of this and most believe that in order to stay in the game the O needs to constantly put points on the board. thats why cutler is forcing passes and thats why he goes to his only real weapon lately so much in Marshall. we dont feel like we can take a safe approach and punt it and play field postion because teams take 10 minutes off the clock driving the entire field on us at will

its just reality, open your eyes a little and you may see it, jay isnt playing bad nor is he playing lights out (lately) but he is playing well enough that the D should be able to step up and do their part towards a win (other than maybe the pats game because of ALL the team TOs)
    It's safe to say that the O is better than the D, right? So the O just needs to be consistent and protect the D. The losses all came in games that the O played terribly. Not average, but pretty much piss poor. When the O has played consistently and limited mistakes, the D has done just enough (yes, at times barely enough) to keep us in the games. Asking more of the defense at this point without any major personnel moves is expecting too much.

I don't put it all on Jay though. I think the coaches were expecting that he would morph into Peyton Manning if given that opportunity. He's not ready. We need to get back to fundamentals. When Torain's back, we'll have the chance to pound the ball a lot more and hold Jay's attempts to under 30. The better we run, the better the pass off play action. That's where Cutler is best for now.
    Last edited by Lomax; 10-24-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    It's safe to say that the O is better than the D, right? So the O just needs to be consistent and protect the D. The losses all came in games that the O played terribly. Not average, but pretty much piss poor. When the O has played consistently and limited mistakes, the D has done just enough (yes, at times barely enough) to keep us in the games. Asking more of the defense at this point without any major personnel moves is expecting too much.

I don't put it all on Jay though. I think the coaches were expecting that he would morph into Peyton Manning if given that opportunity. He's not ready. We need to get back to fundamentals. When Torain's back, we'll have the chance to pound the ball a lot more and hold Jay's attempts to under 30. The better we run, the better the pass off play action. That's where Cutler is best for now.
    i wouldnt say "piss poor" the games should have still been within reach if the D was able to force some crucial punts, or turnovers, or a 3 and out every so often, i remember the cowbaoy game where Romo threw 5ints i believe and they still won . . . im not saying that happens all that often but when you have 1 Td and only 2ints you should still be in the game and it shouldnt be considered a "piss poor game"

im just saying its impssible for the O to play near perfect every game just so the D can maybe stop somebody or play just good enough . . . because thats not good enough for me and it shouldnt be good enough for the team
    -------

Not sure that he played better in 2007...........teams sure have fiund a way to play defense against him though.......and confuse the hell out of the poor kid...

As far as football goes......Cutler is nothing more than a young qb....trying to learn how to be an nfl qb.....

I expect more if his inconsistant play for another season or two....as he learns how to be a winner again......it's been a few years now since his winning high school days.

It really doesn't matter though.....if we don't have a defense......Cutler could throw for 300 yards and 3 td's a game.....we would still lose more games than we win.

Another year or two......the kid needs to learn......until then.....lets enjoy a couple more losing seasons....

Although maybe if we are 7-4 after week 11.......he will be benched and we can put in a new qb.....to give the team a better chance of winning....time will tell......
    My 3 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team who plays Michigan