Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    4.3 speed, the same 4.3 speed possessed by guys like jamal lewis, brandon jacob, rudy johnson, mike alstott, jerome bettis, derrick ward, ryan grant, tim hightower, leron mclain, michael bush, deuce mcalister, ricky williams, cedric benson.... wait a second...
    I looked up some times. Hillis ran a 4.57. Michael Bush ran a 4.5. Marshawn Lynch: 4.45. Brandon Jacob: 4.58. Ryan Torain: 4.71. The only time I could find for Terrell Davis was 4.7.

NFL All-time Rushing Leaders (yards):
    Name: .................... Yards:..............40 yard dash time:
    1. Emmitt Smith - 17,403 ...............4.7
    2. Walter Payton - 16,726 ...............4.6
    3. Barry Sanders - 15,269 ................4.3
    4. Eric ****erson - 13,259................4.5
    5. Tony Dorsett - 12,739 ...................4.5
    6. Jerome Bettis - 12,353..................4.5
    7. Jim Brown - 12,312......................4.4
    8. Marcus Allen - 12,243...................4.6
    9. Franco Harris - 12,120..................4.7
    10. Thurman Thomas - 12,074.........4.3

It looks like Hillis is in the middle of the pack when it comes to speed.

Even so, speed is not the only criteria for a RB. What is Hillis lacking that you want in a RB?

I say let the kid run the rock....he looks good runnin into people...ill take it :salute!: pkus he bringin the salute back
    [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/tremendous45th][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/tremendous45th.png[/img][/url]

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Torain ran a 4.7? A 4.7?! So why exactly is this guy so much better than Hillis and should so obviously be the next great Denver back?

Yall are saying we need that home-run back, and you want it to be Torain with 4.7 speed? Oooook?
    LET 'ER BUCK!!!
    Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Quote Originally Posted by Dovsinlondon2012 View Post
    Wait wait wait wait wait.

Torain ran a 4.7? A 4.7?! So why exactly is this guy so much better than Hillis and should so obviously be the next great Denver back?

Yall are saying we need that home-run back, and you want it to be Torain with 4.7 speed? Oooook?
    I also saw a 4.64 result for Torain. But I think the numbers are a straw man. They aren't in pads or in a game situation. Also, think about running a foot race. You win by a tenth of a second, the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 speed. How much in front of the loser, in distance, is the winner? A half step? Is that really the only difference between a home run back and a simply adequate back? A half step? Or are there other things that matter when looking for a franchise back?

If you give me that Hillis' speed is adequate, what skills is Hillis missing that a tailback should have?

PFW had Terrell Davis running a 4.6, but he played faster than that. Whereas Ryan Torain ran a 4.7 and plays 4.8.

I think Hillis' 4.57 is legitimate, he has damn fine playing speed, too, but he has only shown that as a straight line runner, the Broncos don't run as much of their one-cut/down hill stuff with him, it's either been the more conventional between the tackles stuff and wide runs.

Their running game is different with Hillis in there, even Rich "A better pass gets it done" Gannon said as much.......

Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    PFW had Terrell Davis running a 4.6, but he played faster than that. Whereas Ryan Torain ran a 4.7 and plays 4.8.

I think Hillis' 4.57 is legitimate, he has damn fine playing speed, too, but he has only shown that as a straight line runner, the Broncos don't run as much of their one-cut/down hill stuff with him, it's either been the more conventional between the tackles stuff and wide runs.

Their running game is different with Hillis in there, even Rich "A better pass gets it done" Gannon said as much.......
    what we need is a all around Blade type RB to Hillis war hammer type running.

Someone that can smash into lanes, cut into them and turn tight on the corners and maybe that will give the Broncos a legit backfield that would be fearsome. Would you want to be cut down by a RB that can slash and gash your d or would you want Hillis to come up to the line and just punch it in hard.
    McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

I think the running game is not only different, it is better. I will take a back that can get me 5 or 6 yards every carry, pound the defense, catch and block over a finesse speed demon that will break a 50 yard run once every other game, but can't do the grunt work.

I think the only thing that would make Hillis better is having another Hillis as his FB.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
    what we need is a all around Blade type RB to Hillis war hammer type running.

Someone that can smash into lanes, cut into them and turn tight on the corners and maybe that will give the Broncos a legit backfield that would be fearsome. Would you want to be cut down by a RB that can slash and gash your d or would you want Hillis to come up to the line and just punch it in hard.
    I think that'd be ideal, maybe a DeMarco Murray type, that'd be a wicked good back field.

Murray has the cutback ability and Hillis the up-the-gut-pound-it-down-their-piehole ability, and both have excellent ability to catch out of the back field.

But Murray is not a Shanahan type of back.......

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I think the running game is not only different, it is better. I will take a back that can get me 5 or 6 yards every carry, pound the defense, catch and block over a finesse speed demon that will break a 50 yard run once every other game, but can't do the grunt work.

I think the only thing that would make Hillis better is having another Hillis as his FB.
    It's hard to argue with the system Denver runs, but I don't see many finesse speed demons in Denver's back field, most of their RB's are scrubs that are neither.......

Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    It's hard to argue with the system Denver runs, but I don't see many finesse speed demons in Denver's back field, most of their RB's are scrubs that are neither.......
    Here's what I want in a running back;
    1. Intelligence - know where to be and when to be there, thinking at game speed.
    2. Don't go down until all 11 of the opposing team are on your back. Pound the defense.
    3. Cut well, and into an existing hole
    4. Patience to wait for the hole to open.
    5. Sell a play fake.
    6. Block like a lineman.
    7. Catch like a WR.
    8. Fly in the open field (here's your 4.3 speed)
    9. Have some juke moves.

Hillis has all of these, but he only has Terrell Davis speed in the open field, and his jukes are jokes.

I'd like to see us convert a TE to a FB position. That would be interesting.

hey guys, im not being racist, but isnt Hillis the first white running back to run for a 100 yards since? Nick Goings? John Riggins?

Whatever happened to the white tailback anyways?!??!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=hill/080926

Seriously though, why not.

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosRockdaRockies View Post
    Great Post first of all. But history also shows that Sophmore year woes can suck so as bad as I want to agree with you on this something is also telling me he is just a Rookie and he only recently got moved up due to Injuries, but at the same time has proven himself. Don't get me wrong I am not Denying this guy's talent because I am in Razorback country so I am very familiar with him. But I do want to see how he does in the Off season and and few games into next season before i make him a starter in my book. But again he definitely has my attention for the spot I just want to be double sure that is where he will be best suited. But just my opinion. Great Post!:salute!:
    Good points, lets just let him play at RB for the rest of the season and see what he can do over a series of games. I think the kid has all of the tools to be a good back. Maybe even a great back, punishing running, good vision (did you see that small hole he broke through) good hands, and he has good ball sense. I watched him put a vice-like grip on the ball when he was going to get hit. Never once did i see him run with the ball not tucked away.

I do have to agree he will need a bit more developing. But I'll bet Bobby Turner is just drooling over the performance he put up yesterday.
    People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Are you friggin kidding me

Some of you guys you just can't win for losing. None of yall will say it , but the real reason you don't want Hillis as the primary back is because he's white. Hillis is a running back plain and simple. He does everything he is asked to do. I'll take Hillis anyday over anything else. Denver needs to follow the Giants schematic. They have Jacobs who runs people over, Ward who is a speedster on the outside. So we have Hillis and all we need is another back to compliment him and were set. Nuff said!

For the first time in a while, the playaction worked, the jets actually respected our run..That was nice to see again and also means hillis was extremely effective in the game but also mentally.

I'll take the bruiser that wears out an opposing defense 3 yards at a time and runs the clock over a "homerun" back that scores in 30 seconds and puts our less than steller defense back on the field to be abused some more!!!

What does Hillis give us:
    - a back that gains positive yardage every time the O-line does its job
    - a back that doesn't fall over with very little contact
    - a back that doesn't limp to the sideline every other carry
    - a back that can block and catch on passing downs (ie we don't have to change personel and give away our next move)
    - a back that makes opposing defenses respect play action

Hillis is the perfect compliment to our offense. We don't need a homerun back because we have Cutler, Royal, B-Marsh, Stokes, and Sheff that can score in the blink of an eye. We've got the "score in an instant" passing game and the grind it out, clock killing run game that will only serve to open up the secondary because it takes 8 guys to get Hillis on the ground!
    [COLOR="navy"][B]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]- Mythbusters[/COLOR]

[COLOR="navy"][B]"Go America... Go Broncos"[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkorange"]- Stan, South Park[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Navy"]I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR="darkorange"]- Me[/COLOR]

[COLOR="navy"][B]God Bless the United States of America! [/B][/COLOR]