Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Clady DESERVES Rookie of the Year

He is arguably the best rookie in the NFL and he has no chance - none - to win the rookie of the year award.

Why would that be?

In part, because the NFL gives him no help. In part, granted, because the wretches might not be the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.

"It'd be hard, I think," Mike Shanahan said. "Has it ever been done? I don't even know."

Never. Not once in the 40 years The Associated Press has been naming offensive and defensive rookies of the year in the NFL has an offensive lineman won the award.

Running backs, including Mike Anderson and Clinton Portis of the Broncos, have won it more than 70 percent of the time. When a running back doesn't, a quarterback or wide receiver does.

"They can see a quarterback," Shanahan said. "They see the stats for a wide receiver or running back. But to people that really study the game, they know how important a left tackle is. If you don't have a left tackle, it's really hard to have a great offense. For him to play at the level he has, I think he might get voted that amongst coaches."

Truth is, Ryan Clady doesn't get that much love from the Broncos' own publicists. Eddie Royal, the sensational rookie wideout and kick returner, gets almost three pages of promotion in the Broncos' weekly release. Clady gets one note, two if you count the one that also includes right tackle Ryan Harris.

Sadly, there's not even anybody to blame for this inequity. The skill positions have all those statistics. Yards and catches and throws; percentages and averages and streaks and records.

The only stats an offensive lineman gets are bad. Sacks surrendered. Penalties incurred. For the record, Clady has been saddled with half a sack, one holding penalty and two false starts in 12 complete football games as a rookie protecting quarterback Jay Cutler's blind side. This in a year when Cutler is on pace to break the franchise record for passing yards in a season.

"Ryan has gone against some pretty good pass rushers all year and he's been up to every challenge," Cutler said.

"I've never seen anybody do what he's done as a rookie," Shanahan said. "He doesn't have penalties; doesn't have missed assignments. We don't double- team his guy. Sometimes a guy will have a good year because we double-team to that side. We've done that over the last five or six years. To not have to double-team people, to just say, 'Hey, you've got that guy regardless of who it is,' that doesn't happen in this league because there's too many top players.

"And to have your left tackle block the best guys, the best rushing defensive ends or outside linebackers, and do it in preseason and regular season, is something that doesn't happen very often."

Offensive linemen are accustomed to being ignored until they make a mistake. Veteran guard Ben Hamilton plays beside Clady. I asked him whether an offensive lineman will ever be rookie of the year.

"Probably not," he said.

Among the leading contenders this year are running backs Chris Johnson of Tennessee and Steve Slaton of Houston, who rank second and third in the AFC in rushing, quarterback Matt Ryan of Atlanta and wide receivers DeSean Jackson of Philadelphia and Royal.

The AP's award winners are elected by a panel of media voters across the country. Clady does have a shot at a first-place vote. My colleague Jeff Legwold says if the season ended today, he'd vote for Clady on the basis that quarterback and left tackle are the hardest positions to play as a rookie.

And while Ryan has been excellent for the Falcons, Shanahan argues Clady might be the best left tackle in football, rookie or not. Since there are no stats, I asked for some specs. Shanahan obliged:

"Arm length," he said. "Size. Quickness. Speed. He moves his feet like he's 240 pounds, but he's 325. That doesn't happen very often. And he's competitive. Tough.

"The first day when he was out there in pass protection against Elvis Dumervil, you could see his arm length against a guy that pressured everybody the year before. And you could see, 'Whoa, maybe we have something special.' But you don't know until you get to regular-season games or at least the preseason, when the lights are on.

"He doesn't say anything. He doesn't talk. Everything is business. He's very polite and he's very smart and just goes about his work like, 'Hey, I'm just one of the guys.' "

Such modesty is great for a team, not so good for postseason awards.

"If he wins it, he's going to take us on a vacation, I'm sure," Hamilton said. "I hope he wins. He's got my vote."

If Hamilton had one, that would make two.http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ookie-of-year/
    Hands down, Clady is the BEST rookie out of the draft class. Call me a homer, but the way he is literally DOMINATING his position.... is there really anyone else who is BETTER in that sense??

The way he's been handling top notch pro bowler pass rushers, all while being a 22 year old rookie LT in the NFL.

He probably won't win it, but the Broncos know what type of caliber player they have for hopefully a LONG time.

He may be all that for sure, but I think that Joe Flacco from the Ravens is most likely gonna get all the attention.. QB, East Coast... etc...

i doubt joe flacco will win. he is playing well but is flying under the radar. Has Clady won any awards at all this season? ( diet pepsi ROW?, ect)

I think it's pretty open...Flacco,Matt Ryan, Royal, Chris Johnson....it's almost always going to be a position that produces points....I think Royal has a good shot at it...as long as Denver continues to win and Royal stays on pace..

CLady has been absolutely fantastic, and if it was ANY other year.... he would win it.

But the problem is, you have a rookie QB playing like a veteran in Atlanta. Another Ryan. QB has always been thought of as the toughest position to play in PROFESSIONAL SPORTS (not just football). Matt Ryan has not only played fantastic his rookie season, but did it when stepping into a franchise that was thought to be a team that would struggle for YEARS after the Mike Vick fiasco.

Matt Ryan stepped into a position with a team that was in COMPLETE turmoil. Before Mike Vick's dog fighting conviction, Mike was VERY VERY popular in Atlanta.

I LOVE our Clady. He's going to be a franchise LT that will be with us for a VERY long time. Unfortunately, I don't think he will be the Ryan to win the ROY this season.

Although I agree that Clady SHOULD be either the winner or #2, you might as well close the polls, Matt Ryan is going to win it.

How many OL or DL win the Heisman? How many OL or DL win MVP? Doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny1 View Post
    How many OL or DL win the Heisman? How many OL or DL win MVP? Doesn't happen.
    A DT may win it THIS year......

Clady is the best rookie in the draft class. But I would go as far to say he is the best LT in the NFL right now.:salute!:

Quote Originally Posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
    Clady is the best rookie in the draft class. But I would go as far to say he is the best LT in the NFL right now.:salute!:
    It's hard to say. There are some good LT's right now..

I mean, hell Clady IS playing just as good or even better as the LT's that will go to the pro bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    It's hard to say. There are some good LT's right now..

I mean, hell Clady IS playing just as good or even better as the LT's that will go to the pro bowl.
    Exactly but Jake Long gets more praise because he was a #1, when Clady has been muc better

Quote Originally Posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    Hands down, Clady is the BEST rookie out of the draft class. Call me a homer, but the way he is literally DOMINATING his position.... is there really anyone else who is BETTER in that sense??

The way he's been handling top notch pro bowler pass rushers, all while being a 22 year old rookie LT in the NFL.

He probably won't win it, but the Broncos know what type of caliber player they have for hopefully a LONG time.
    No one deserves the ROTY award over Matt Ryan. Sorry, but the trophy is already his. After that it might have to go to Flacco.

After that, it could go to a handful of players. There are a ton of standout rookies this season.

Slaton, Royal, Desean Jackson, Clady, Chris Johnson, Mayo, etc.

I think Clady SHOULD win it, however Matt Ryan will, simply because of how much of an impact he has made to turn the horrible Falcons into a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
    I would say pass blocking for sure he's up there (I don't think that is debatable), not sure about run blocking though? Not saying he's bad or anything, I think he's a good run blocker, I just haven't seen him consistently dominate or anything like that.

Clady has definitely been dominant and is playing at a high level despite being a rookie. However what Matt Ryan has done is incredible. He took a team that had nothing going for it and now has them fighting for a playoff berth. Pretty good for a rookie QB i'd say and he is almost certain to win ROY.

Even if Clady doesn't win it, I will be content knowing we have a premier tackle guarding Cutlers blind side.
    Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
    Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    A DT may win it THIS year......
    You're talking about Haynesworth, I presume?

I agree, he SHOULD be considered, but I'd bet my fortune (LOL!) that he isn't top 3. Heck, I think Cutler may even end up ahead of Haynesworth in the voting, because lineman NEVER get those kinds of awards. Haynesworth will probably get defensive MVP.

My guess right now would be either Warner or Brees, with Warner the front runner due to the better record.