Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two First Round Picks for Peppers In Free Agency???

Peppers is sure to get Franchised by the Panthers but I think he is worth the investment. We have wasted TOO MANY picks in the first round in recent years. We have traded out of the first round in recent years. We have traded up in recent years. And we still havent solved our pass rushing deamon. This guy is it and I would have no problem inking him and giving Carolina two picks.

We are almost complete as a team. This draft has really afforded us the Luxury of not needing too many positions on the field. We obviously have a need at Saftey, LB, DL and RB.

We have a ton of cap this offseason, i think we only need to do two things. Re-up Brandon Marshall and avoid the trouble that is sure to come. Sign

Peppers, make him the highest paid DE in the league.
    Peppers - 6 years 75 Million with 30 Million Guranteed

Same could be said for Albert Haynesworth. It is possible financially to even get both of them. If we trim some fat.
    A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

I don't think we are almost complete as a team. We have a need at both safety spots. Who knows what our RB situation will be in the spring. I don't like Nate as our MLB. D-line is a concern, but I think shanny would rather try to find gems in the draft than invest them all into one guy.

Two first rounders for a 29 year old DE that will not only cost us some potential home run picks (ie, Clady, Royal). But will cost a fortune against our cap as well! Nah, I think we can do better.

Most I'd do is get 1 and only 1 FA for some big bucks. Forget giving away our draft picks.

I think Pat Bowlen made it pretty clear during the off-season he wanted to build much more through the draft than free agency. Even stating that we signed to many high-priced free agents that didn't pan out.

That said, Shanahan has a tendency to sign a high profile free agent to fill a spot thats been exposed in the playoffs. If our lack of pass rush is a glaring need in the playoffs, who knows?

The way we have been drafting as of late, and we think we can just give up first round draft picks???

No. Lets NOT do that.

Peppers is old.....hell no there's no reason we give up that much for a guy who is soon to be past his prime

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    The way we have been drafting as of late, and we think we can just give up first round draft picks???

No. Lets NOT do that.
    This quote says it as best as anybody can! :salute!:

The only thing I could add would be the following: We aren't a team who is one player, a pass rusher away, on defense. Look at the successful teams. They are not a team with one good pass rusher. They usually have a solid line across the board i.e. Giants, Jets (until recently), Tennessee, etc...

Why hamstring ourselves now with one massive contract with the way this team is drafting.

I would rather see those picks placed on D, give them their rookie contracts, and throw them in the fire a la Clady and Royal. Save the cap space for the point we are one player away

No way.

With 2 of our last 3 1st round draft picks getting pro bowl level players I don't wanna trade TWO picks away for a 29 year old DE that just magically had an awesome year during the final year in his contract.

Hellz no, i'm sure our guys are looking at defensive drafts only. Maybe with more of our scouts looking at D guys we will hit some.

I only see us making one big move at FA, but after that I cannot see it. We need our picks.

Not a chance. As mentioned Peppers is too old and has already peaked. We're better off keeping all of our draft picks.

2 first round picks for Peppers?

No way.

For Ty Law maybe, but not Peppers

Maybe a 2nd round pick for Peppers. But the 2nd round pick's value has risen since we drafted Royal, that's for sure.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

How much more time, $, and draft picks are some of you people going to spend On DL espeasily DE. We are pretty built just need one more off-season to mature. We need continuity at the position now, who do you want to sit or get rid of to make room. I think it's evident we are building through the draft, and that doesn't mean we won't sign a Big price tag player. However, when you look at all the moves we have at the position, it's time to improve elswere.

Two first rounds for peepers, wow. I don't even need to comment on that.

How about we get two first round picks and spend them on a S and LB or S and RB or a S and DT or even a LB and DT.

You want pressure on the QBs sackss, interception and what not we need to have better blitz packages.

How about we go spend big bucks on a LB RB DT and waste no draft picks.
    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition backhand a fool!

Unlike financial institutions and the auto industry, there is no federal bailout option for a bad investment in NFL free agency.

Giving up two first round picks for ANYONE is mortaging too much of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
    FF is awesome!

Too steep...but a quick fix on dline comes via FA.

Too steep a price. But for those who say build through the draft, on DLine, I would completely disagree unless you want to wait a couple of years. Our Dline needs a quicker fix. I am copying an article I placed in the Drafts, Trades & FA section as follows:

If We Want a Top Dlineman "asap" Go FA
    I am a big believer that we are only about 3 player changes from being a solid defense, and this can all be accomplished in the offseason. But for those who think Dline is a major draft consideration, I say think again, unless you are patient. Dline takes more time for players to develop and excel, whereas you can get immediate impact players in some of the positions we are looking for - LB, Safety, CB and RB (for those of us still wanting to add more bite in our offense).

If you look at the last 3 drafts, specifically at 1st round dlinemen, the following analysis may help in the discussion....(note: this is only comparing key stats, and therefore we are missing some important observations about their play that do not come up in the stats.....but it's a start. Also, I didn't do the same analysis for the other positions, but if desired I'll do so. My observation however is that there are many examples of those types who excel early in their careers.)

Dliners picked - Chris Long (2), Glenn Dorsey (5), Vernon Gholston (6), Sedrick Ellis (7), Derrick Harvey (8), Lawrence Jackson (28) and Kentwan Balmer (29). Of those, Long has had a good season (35 T's, 4 sacks, 1 FF) and Dorsey is also doing well (32 T's, 1 Sack and 1 FF). But after those two, there is a decrease in production (Jackson 25 T's, 2 sacks) and Ellis (23 T's and 2 sacks), followed by a steep drop for the rest, including a paltry 12 tackles for the sought after Gholston.

Summary - Long and Dorsey belong, but still need some development. After those two, there are players with satisfactory results down to less than satisfactory results, and in one or more cases, there is a need for some serious offseason regrouping.

Dliners picked - Gaines Adams (4), Jamaal Anderson (8), Amobi Okoye (10), Adam Carriker (13), Justin Harrell (16) and Jarvis Moss (17). Of those, Adams is playing like a first rounder (31 T's, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT), and Anderson is doing okay (24 T's, 2 sacks). As for the other four, the most tackles by one player is 16, and Moss has the most sacks at 2.5

Summary - Well into season two for these players, and only one standout and one other good player, while four of the six have yet to impress.

Dliners picked - Mario Williams (1), Haloti Ngata (12), Brodrick Bunkley (14), Tamba Hali (20), John McCargo (26) and Mathias Kiwanuka (32). The stats for this group are much more impressive. Williams (41 Ts, 11 sacks, 4 FFs), Ngata (45 Ts, 1 sack, 2 INT), Bunkley (39 Ts, 2 sacks), Hali (39 Ts, 1 sack, 1 FF) and Kiwanuka (38 Ts, 6.5 sacks, 1 FF). McCargo has no stats for 08.

Summary - This class of 1st rounders has significantly better stats than the 07 and 08 classes. Could it be that it takes until year 3 for dliners to develop? Maybe not in all cases, but there is definitely some learning curve involved.

Final Words

By far the quickest way to get an immediate impact dliner is via FA. No question about it. On the other hand, drafting dliners is a project, one that will likely pay dividends, but it will take some time and patience, knowing full well that many (especially beyond first round) will never be a factor. In the shorter run, if you want to make defensive improvements via the draft, go for those high % risk positions - LBs and DBs.