Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 218
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,036
    If we do want to draft Raji, shouldn't we at least consider trading down and maybe try to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick? I know its not a garuntee that we will get him at 20-25, but worst case scenario we get another high draft pick out of it.

    If we stay at 12, I think we will draft Mauloga, he's just too good of a player to pass up for a first round pick. Of course if Curry was still there then I think we go with him.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,594
    I believe Raji is a lock to be our selection if he's available, especially now that Mays is out of the picture.

    The big concern is that Buffalo, now that Gresham returned to school, doesn't really have a Top 11 need. Unless Brian Orakpo or Aaron Curry are still around, I think they'll trade down with someone wanting to snag Raji before we do.

    I think right now, with the coaches we've hired and the scheme we will want to turn to sooner then later, that every other team in the NFL knows we are looking for a stud Nose Tackle. Maualuga is nice, Moore is nice, maybe even Moreno or Wells would be nice, but the 3-4 does not work at all without a stud Nose Tackle.

    *In the event* Raji is already gone, I think we'd look at a DE/OLB next. Maybe Aaron Maybin. I expect Orakpo and Everette Brown to be gone. I also expect both Moreno and Wells to be gone.


    Right now, I'm thinking our Top 5 targets are (in order):

    1. BJ Raji
    2. Aaron Maybin
    3. Rey Maualuga
    4. William Moore
    5. Sean Smith (and yes, I believe he's worth the #12 pick).

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9,738
    Do you like Sean Smith as a CB or a S?.......

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,594
    Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    Do you like Sean Smith as a CB or a S?.......

    I like him as a Free Safety, but he's so dynamic, I think you could move him all over the place throughout the game. I expect his draft ranking to skyrocket by draft time. Right now, I see lots of Mocks with him in the Late 1st, Early 2nd. I think that's just wrong.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I like him as a Free Safety, but he's so dynamic, I think you could move him all over the place throughout the game. I expect his draft ranking to skyrocket by draft time. Right now, I see lots of Mocks with him in the Late 1st, Early 2nd. I think that's just wrong.
    I might agree with you there, I just don't know if he's Top15 as a CB.......

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    I might agree with you there, I just don't know if he's Top15 as a CB.......
    I think the only way you would draft smith to play CB would be if you were a base cover 2 team. I think he would have a great career as a CB playing cover 2 and jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage. This would be the best way to utilize his physical presence as a CB in the NFL, otherwise I think he will project as a FS for most teams.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    Quote Originally Posted by lancane View Post
    He is a Top 20 pick...rotoworld are retards! And so is Raji obviously!
    So remember when I took your bet that Raji would be a top 15 selection?


    You sweating yet?
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I believe Raji is a lock to be our selection if he's available, especially now that Mays is out of the picture.

    The big concern is that Buffalo, now that Gresham returned to school, doesn't really have a Top 11 need. Unless Brian Orakpo or Aaron Curry are still around, I think they'll trade down with someone wanting to snag Raji before we do.

    I think right now, with the coaches we've hired and the scheme we will want to turn to sooner then later, that every other team in the NFL knows we are looking for a stud Nose Tackle. Maualuga is nice, Moore is nice, maybe even Moreno or Wells would be nice, but the 3-4 does not work at all without a stud Nose Tackle.

    *In the event* Raji is already gone, I think we'd look at a DE/OLB next. Maybe Aaron Maybin. I expect Orakpo and Everette Brown to be gone. I also expect both Moreno and Wells to be gone.


    Right now, I'm thinking our Top 5 targets are (in order):

    1. BJ Raji
    2. Aaron Maybin
    3. Rey Maualuga
    4. William Moore
    5. Sean Smith (and yes, I believe he's worth the #12 pick).

    With Brown, Orakpo, Wells and Moreno...

    What do you think the draft order and the turnout looks like right?

    And if someone is going to trade up... who? If you wanna take a guess?
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    306

    quick comment

    Raji's academic problems weren't from flunking classes, as is often implied, but from not taking the right credit load. A certain number of classes are required to maintain eligibility ("satisfactory progress") and Raji was misinformed by academic advisers about what he needed. It was a bureaucratic snafu.

    Whether one thinks Raji is a good choice for Denver or not should be related to his prospects as a player. Raji's problems reflect on B.C.'s bureaucracy and not him, and it's getting tiresome to read allusions to his "problem" as if the mere mention of "academic problems" says it all.
    There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them. - Louis Armstrong

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672
    That's a pretty big dude... My personal favorite in the draft is still Orakpo, but I wouldn't be dissapointed with Raji.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    24,672
    Quote Originally Posted by colinski View Post
    Raji's academic problems weren't from flunking classes, as is often implied, but from not taking the right credit load. A certain number of classes are required to maintain eligibility ("satisfactory progress") and Raji was misinformed by academic advisers about what he needed. It was a bureaucratic snafu.

    Whether one thinks Raji is a good choice for Denver or not should be related to his prospects as a player. Raji's problems reflect on B.C.'s bureaucracy and not him, and it's getting tiresome to read allusions to his "problem" as if the mere mention of "academic problems" says it all.
    Good information.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    306

    our 1st pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I believe Raji is a lock to be our selection if he's available, especially now that Mays is out of the picture.

    The big concern is that Buffalo, now that Gresham returned to school, doesn't really have a Top 11 need. Unless Brian Orakpo or Aaron Curry are still around, I think they'll trade down with someone wanting to snag Raji before we do.

    I think right now, with the coaches we've hired and the scheme we will want to turn to sooner then later, that every other team in the NFL knows we are looking for a stud Nose Tackle. Maualuga is nice, Moore is nice, maybe even Moreno or Wells would be nice, but the 3-4 does not work at all without a stud Nose Tackle.

    *In the event* Raji is already gone, I think we'd look at a DE/OLB next. Maybe Aaron Maybin. I expect Orakpo and Everette Brown to be gone. I also expect both Moreno and Wells to be gone.


    Right now, I'm thinking our Top 5 targets are (in order):

    1. BJ Raji
    2. Aaron Maybin
    3. Rey Maualuga
    4. William Moore
    5. Sean Smith (and yes, I believe he's worth the #12 pick).
    It bothers me that I agree with you once again, it looks too sycophantic.

    I've been mulling over our draft prospects and Raji is looking like the frontrunner at this point. I haven't set aside my reservations about him completely but I've gradually warmed to the idea of him as our 1st pick.

    The NT position is just too important to the 3-4, and NTs are too hard to find. Raji is the BPA around our slot and scarcity and needs elevate the pick to the top of our Big Board. Additionally, even if we were to continue in a 4-3 we would need to add a DT.

    Maualuga is still in the picture (the picture that I've been looking at lately), but he's not at a position in demand. I admit to being influenced by Matt Maguire of WalterFootball on this, since it's the last thing I was reading while I was in the process of re-evaluating our pick, but I have to admit he's right on this. All people have to do is look at the Free Agent MLBs/ILBs to get the idea. There are plenty of ILBs out there, and we'd be wise to sign one of them. Maualuga is still a worthy pick but he's playing at a position that's in low demand.

    Another position I believe that is in extremely low demand right now is inside linebacker. Look around, nearly every team has a very talented starter at this position. Only teams with question marks right now are Tennessee (Ryan Fowler), Cincinnati (Dhani Jones) and Kansas City (Napoleon Harris). -- Matt Maguire, WalterFootball
    I have to agree with you on Maybin, too, although I'm not yet convinced he's rated that high (but he's close). The justification here is positional impact, as McGuire explains (BTW -- these aren't new ideas but it's an easy way for me to explain them).

    The three most valuable positions in this league are quarterback, left tackle and 4-3 right defensive end or 3-4 outside rush linebacker -- MM, WF

    I think we're going to add that R-OLB if we can so we'll be able to run the rudimentary 3-4 at times. I don't think we'll make a 'complete' switch until we have more of the players, but we can run it part of the time if we have a few critical pieces (Joe Collier's comments).

    We've already discussed the Safety situation so there's not much to add. Moore and Smith are solid choices, even though they'll probably go later in the 1st. This is one more position where I hope we can add a FA and make our drafting process less 'forced.' Assuming we find a FA, I'd be happy with a later pick on one of the others that we've discussed previously (e.g., R. Johnson, Delmas, Hamlin, Bruton, etc.)

    One more thought -- I'm looking for them to pick one 3-4 DE, and maybe sign a FA. The DE would be the one other position that they'd like to add to get the 3-4 up and running. We have some players who will fit into that position but I think they'd like to find one addition who's 3-4 ready.
    There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them. - Louis Armstrong

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,409
    Let's draft BJ Raji and start to fix our defensive line.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    306

    academic problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Good information.
    Every athletic programs has compliance officials and student advisers who monitor whether their athletes are taking the enough credits and the right classes so this shouldn't happen, but it's still the student's responsibility even though they rely on the university authorities to give them the right information (and wouldn't you?).

    Curiously, Raji has elevated his stock from a 3-4th rounder going into his senior year (2007) to a 1st rounder (in 2008, RS senior), but the tag of "academic problems" has stuck. Any team that conducts deep scouting is going to find out what the story is and dismiss the rumors of character problems.
    There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them. - Louis Armstrong

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gooding Idaho
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by colinski View Post
    Another position I believe that is in extremely low demand right now is inside linebacker. Look around, nearly every team has a very talented starter at this position. Only teams with question marks right now are Tennessee (Ryan Fowler), Cincinnati (Dhani Jones) and Kansas City (Napoleon Harris). -- Matt Maguire, WalterFootball
    So they feel we have a very talented starter at Mike?

    Who would that be, Larson? If they feel Webster is a vary talented Mike, there really is no point in believing anything they have to say because they obviously don't know what their talking about..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •