Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My rant on college

I think its overrated... thats right people you read it right... I always thougot education should be free I always thougot paying all these loans was dumb... and there is prove alot of it you dont need a college degree for most jobs and to have a good life.... I am leanning towards the descion that I dont return to my pre prep college next year without paying anything.... I mean really I have a good job already I know people that never step in a college class room and they live in the subs...... and not to mention i get the feeling the College is like High school all over again with the drama, groups and the fact you have to drink or nobody will talk to you or hangout..... so ya I think I will take the ED i have and keep working at my job every day..... not trying to back track but IF! if I do need more education.... i will gladly step back in the class room... sorry for spelling and grammer... i am sort of in a hurry

Ok, first of all, college is nothing like high school as far as drama goes. College drama is a lot easier to deal with. And no, you don't have to drink to be cool. I don't go to bars and drink, and I like to think I'm pretty cool. I don't hang out with those types...I tend to hang out with the uber nerdy types that play World of Warcraft and console games. To each his/her own.

As for jobs. Without a degree, I'm stuck with only being able to get ahold of work that only pays minimum or a little above. I'm having to get a 3rd job just to get by. With a degree, I'll have access to jobs that pay upwards of $50,000 a year. Right off the bat, with opportunities to get more.

I won't deny, you can do well without an education. My Dad runs his own business and makes quite a bit of money. But he tells me almost every time I talk to him, "I wish I had finished college." Why? People like degrees. Even if you learn nothing and just get the paper, it shows that you went and put forth the effort, and business owners like to see that.

My degree, Management Information Systems, will get me access to jobs that people without a degree won't even be able to sniff. Not only that, but 5 of the 8 fastest growing jobs in the world *require* a degree in MIS. I'm not trying to be condescending, but think about this: Someone's looking to hire a Database Administrator. They're willing to pay $80,000 a year for this person's services. It can get really complicated at times, it's not an easy, blow-off line of work. The only two people that apply are you and me. You only have your high-school education, and I have a bachelor's degree in MIS. Who do you think they're gonna hire? They're gonna hire the guy that spent 4 (or more) years of his/her life learning everything they needed to know to do this job and do it well. You may not know anything about what it takes to be a Database Administrator, but neither did I until I came here. That's the kinda stuff you learn about in college.

Plus, there's a reason people say that it's the best 4 years of your life: because it is. I've made some incredible friends, met lots of people (including the woman I'm going to marry), and got plenty of awesome work experience. I wouldn't trade my time here for anything. The reason I freaked out in that other thread is because I thought it was all over just like that, at the snap of a finger. Now that I have this 2nd chance, you bet your ass I'm going to take advantage of everything I can get ahold of to be successful.

You say you have a good job now, but what happens when, due to this economy, your boss decides he needs to let some people go to open up some space on his budget, and you happen to be on that list. What will you do when you can't get a job anywhere else? Will you be satisfied with your life while you're flipping burgers or scrubbing toilets, or working any other low-wage job?

If so, then disregard everything I've said. If not, please consider going to college. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    I adopted Peanut!!!
    Adopted by *Atwater*!!!

I'm UNDEFEATED at Broncos games!!!!

12/06/09 @ Kansas City: W 44-13

....... great argument.... and its not like i cant get into college either... my GPA is 2.83... not the best but i can work on it..... and in my prep college I have a B last semster.... so its not that i cant do the work.... but we will see

I can tell you for sure that I had a job managing restaraunts when I left college the 1st time, making what I thought was decent $$$.

When I got my head on str8 and finished, got into a completely new field and got to a position where I make the hiring decisions, except no degree, no interview.

I'm not saying I enjoyed college or use alot of what they taught, but the earning potential increases with the degree. Let's say it opens the doors. Then, when you work your arse off, eventually the $ comes.

Most of my friends didn't go to college. I am 24 now and make real good money. Those friends are all having a hard time getting by. From real examples, I don't know of a single person that didn't attend college that is nearly as good off as those that did.

You would have to work many years, a ton or hours, or just get lucky to get paid even near as much as someone with a degree.

No Staisu.... Stay in college.

You'll regret it if you don't....

Sure people can be successful without college (Bill Gates), and happy.... But really, if you quit now and end up going back later, it'll be that MUCH HARDER to get back into the game.
    Last edited by Peerless; 01-12-2009 at 03:59 PM.

College makes sense if you want to have certain careers....but I agree that it is not the right choice for everyone. And about the drinking and high school drama that you mentioned, I think that it all depends on the people you spend time with. I also get annoyed with the people who aren't here because they are interested in learning or gaining an education, the people who are only here to please their parents or to party. I get annoyed at the drinking sometimes too because I'm not really into that. I'm cool with drinking at the occasional party, or like with my family...I just don't understand the "lets party because its Tuesday!" mentality that many college students have.

But for me, the annoying aspects about college are greatly outweighed by the good things about it. For me, college is necessary as I want to be a teacher so I need to be here. Even if I found a high paying job right now, I wouldn't stop going to school because I've wanted to be a teacher my whole life. I love learning, and I love going to school, so I suppose this is the right place for me. But it isn't for everyone and that is perfectly fine.

College is tedious, but fun most of the time. Plus there is football and basketball and tons of other things you can go do that are cool
    ...capture it...remember it...

College is really what you make of it.
    I'm attending a CC right now. I don't interact with anyone there b/c everyone is in their own world there and prefer to talk about really stupid things. So I choose to just focus on my classes and getting good grades so I can transfer to the College of my dreams.
    I know once I transfer to the school I want to go to things will get better. I'm choosing a school where people will appreciate my differences and also has a great program for what I am majoring in! I have already started communicating w/ students that attend the college I want to transfer to.
    I wouldn't sacrifice your education over what you think college will be like. Why not actually experience it and then make the decision on if you want to finish attending or not.
    Personally, I feel college is very important. With the way things are going these days, it is very important to have that college degree. Having higher education and securing your future is becoming more and more important.
    Don't psych yourself out. It will definitely pay off in the end.

Yea maybe college isn't for everyone, but if you have no clue what will be in store for you in 5 years time...then maybe college would be a good choice for you.
    [QUOTE=armybroncofan;2520130]...Remember one thing, the paper tiger is always right ...[/QUOTE]

[quote]Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden [Fight Club][/quote]

I'll be attending the University of Texas for a degree in Chemistry. Not a field you can get into without a degree, so I guess it depends on what you want to do.

I'd advise you stay in college though.

Thank you for your input guys and gals.... I will have to think about it when college is out for the summer

Professional Hell Raiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
    I think its overrated... thats right people you read it right... I always thougot education should be free I always thougot paying all these loans was dumb... and there is prove alot of it you dont need a college degree for most jobs and to have a good life.... I am leanning towards the descion that I dont return to my pre prep college next year without paying anything.... I mean really I have a good job already I know people that never step in a college class room and they live in the subs...... and not to mention i get the feeling the College is like High school all over again with the drama, groups and the fact you have to drink or nobody will talk to you or hangout..... so ya I think I will take the ED i have and keep working at my job every day..... not trying to back track but IF! if I do need more education.... i will gladly step back in the class room... sorry for spelling and grammer... i am sort of in a hurry
    PRE prep college? :if they had an animation for ROTFLMMFAO insert it here: And I thought me going to a CC was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
    Thank you for your input guys and gals.... I will have to think about it when college is out for the summer
    Here's some input.. Quit being a twaat bag and do something with your life rather than coming on a message board and whine about getting an education.

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    PRE prep college? :if they had an animation for ROTFLMMFAO insert it here: And I thought me going to a CC was bad.
    I think maybe the person meant a that the attend a College Preparatory School. I attended one. Basically a private school designed to prepare you for college and take advanced courses that can be transfered credit for when you apply for college.

If that is not what the person meant...then yea I'd lol @ the person too.
    [QUOTE=armybroncofan;2520130]...Remember one thing, the paper tiger is always right ...[/QUOTE]

[quote]Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden [Fight Club][/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by paper tiger View Post
    I think maybe the person meant a that the attend a College Preparatory School. I attended one. Basically a private school designed to prepare you for college and take advanced courses that can be transfered credit for when you apply for college.

If that is not what the person meant...then yea I'd lol @ the person too.
    Yall's schools are boo boo. We had that type of stuff in high school. I got College Algebra, English Comp 1, Humanities and American History done with during my Senior year in high school.

I didn't go to college right out of high school, but that was because I didn't know what I wanted to do. But now I'm in school through University of Phoenix. I'm in for an associates in accounting, to begin with.

I'm only in my third week, but I'm passing .

Take your time, if you feel you've got to.