what would you rather do this off season?

What would you rather do....pick up derrick ward in f.a and draft defense all the way or pick up a quality running back in the 1st round and get some quality defensive free angents

well personally i think we need to rebuild everything through the draft. We started that a few years ago with the 06 draft we might as well finish the job within in the next 2 or 3 drafts

Quote Originally Posted by jaycuthroat View Post
    What would you rather do....pick up derrick ward in f.a and draft defense all the way or pick up a quality running back in the 1st round and get some quality defensive free angents
    Well, IMO the bust rate isn't as high with RB's... Therefore it would make more sense to to build the defense with proven guys and address any need we have at RB in the draft... I'm not sure we would need to take one in the 1st though, we all know there will be a stud RB taken outside of the 1st round. It has been that way, nearly every year. The trick is in getting the right guy..

The learning curve shows up especially harsh with D-lineman, The top 2 DT's last year barely even played in the pros. They might turn out to be great picks? But they didn't show any fruits in their first year...

IMO, if we want our top pick to be able to contribute right away, we should look at LB or S... I say LB or S because IMO we need both of those positions addressed more then RB... I truly believe we can get a great back in the 2nd round or maybe even on the second day... We just have to find the right guy..

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    well personally i think we need to rebuild everything through the draft. We started that a few years ago with the 06 draft we might as well finish the job within in the next 2 or 3 drafts
    We need a lot of players on defense, we might be able to address all our needs in the next 3 drafts... The problem is, if you take to long to build, you will start to lose players. That will open up more holes. Even with the best drafts, they normally only produce 2 starters. That being said, I don't see anything wrong with picking up a few key FA to help fill some of our needs..

IMO, the key to a successful draft is depth. Even if you don't get a lot of starters, if the guys you get can learn the system well enough so that they can come in when needed and produce, they were good picks... Right now we need a lot of starters, that is unless some of the guys on the team really pick it up..

I hope there comes a day when we can really focus on BPA in the draft... There are less bust's taken when you can do that.. If we can draft well we wont be crippled when we lose someone, instead the backup will be able to play at a fairly high level until we can get the next starter...

It seems the turn around on our D the last couple years has been ridicules, We have no system players for depth. Mainly because we haven't had a solid system to filter all the young guys coming up through.. The starters are learning the new system right along with the backups, It is much easier to learn something when you can come in, watch the starters and copy them.

I'm hoping there will be some stability now that we have Nolan, I'm hoping our D will have an identity.. If so, we will be able to take players because they are best suited for what we are going to be asking them to do... Instead of just taking the most athletic person on the board at your position of need. It's easier to draft when you can focus on certain traits you need at each position... It helps narrow the field a bit.
    Last edited by fcspikeit; 01-19-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Thats actually a good question. I am opposed to a RB in the 1st round because I believe we can really have a great defensive player available to us.

I would prefer adding Ward and draft heavy on defense, heres why. We have already done a great job building the offense through the draft, the majority of our starters are home grown, Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Clady, Harris, Kuper, Hamilton, Scheffler. We only lack a really dependable RB. Ward would provide a good option for a starter, we have a bunch of guys coming back from injury so we will have a plethora of options in terms of RB.

Defense, only DJ, Marcus, Dumervil, and Barrett were drafted by us, of those, only DJ has been consistently good. We will have to duplicate the draft success from the offense to the defense. When you look at building through FA, first of all, it becomes very very expensive to get quality starters, the draft offers a cheaper way of putting a team together. Plus, any FA may have already peeked in terms of ability, while draft picks have the potential to grow with the system of the team they are playing for.

We are looking for a major overhaul on defense, we need a great draft on that side of the ball. We really only lack a legit starting RB on offense, we take care of that through FA with Ward and solve the bigger defensive problem through the draft.

shrug

I think it all depends on certain positions whether you go through the draft or FA. It's been documented on here that DL usually take about a year at best before they breakout, see Mario Williams. At the RB position i would stick with what we have got now, then add a glenn coffee, gartrell johnson or marlon lucky type of back in the later rounds. I would say to go thru FA for most of our DL needs, maybe not the flashiest players in the world like Peppers and Haynesworth, but guys like Chris Canty and Bert Berry (again.)

Rd. 1: Wells/Moreno

Rd. 2-7+FA: Defense

That theres the plan hopefully

i absolutley posotively agree with papa pwn we should get moreno (my opinion) and then get defense in FA and rd 2-7.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycuthroat View Post
    Pass...and Pass.

Not overly excited about signing a 30 yr old RB, and no way do we need to go 1st round RB.
    My 2011 starting defense

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    yeah then after the 2 or 3 drafts we can go ahead and take a break i know we dont have shannahan anymore, but considering all of the drafts we've had outside 06 and 08, im not gonna place to much faith in our ability to fix our defense through untested college recruits. besides, having some veteran leadership on a team that has exactly 2 players over the age of 32 isn't such a bad thing.

that being said, ward isn't the answer either. we need an RB in the draft, just not in the first round.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

I would rather steer clear of high priced free agents and build through the draft. Derrick Ward is probably gonna cost quite a bit. I think that we could come up with a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round that could make an impact, plus not have a hefty price tag if it doesn't work out. Obviously we will have to sign some FAs, but hopefully our personel dept will be smart with their decision making.

i agree with the earlier post, pass on ward and drafting a RB.

hillis was beast of a dual threat, and I know alot of people hate Bell but he had some good bursts in the san diego game. Combine that with Pittman as a short yardage back and we can make due at RB for another year at least.

everyone wants a RB for flash and dash, but i want to see a stiflig defence come back to denver . The best bet would be to spend on bart scott, canty and then draft a NT. assuming denver goes 3-4 as per all the rumours. improve the front three, get the runner stopper in the middle and then look for pass coverage help. audition Moss, Dumerville and Crowder this year. If they tank than move on to next offseason without them

I'd rather pick up quality players period....whether it's through the draft or through free agency or both.

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

people hate spending money on free agents incase they tank. but alot of championship teams have spent money but only on the missing cogs to their system. harrison in NE for example. Spend the money on what will make your system go.
    I would love to see Denver spend a moderate amount of cash on ANY position that will help our defense gel. If that means just stabilize the front 7 without getting the superstar than do it. If it means getting the best safety availble for coverage help, do that then.

When you are essentially dead last in the league than there HAS to be at least one key free agent signing you can get in the offseason that will make a difference.

Oh.... and dont sign other teams castoffs. If they could start on that team, than they wouldnt have been cut.