Larry Coyer to be Colts D-Coordinator

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/Colts_to_hire_Coyer

Looks like Coyer found a sucker. Maybe our troubles against Indy are over!

Coyer is a good coordinator. He was better than any coordinator we've had in the past 10 years.

When he was here he did a good job installing a lot of cover 2 stuff and I am sure he has picked up even greater knowledge for his years at TB.

I think it is a good signing for Indy.
    My 2011 starting defense

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Am I right in thinking that he was the guy that ran all of the sellout cover zero blitzes? I just remember our secondary getting toasted on a lot of big plays. I do also remember Champ getting 10 INT's one of those years too...maybe He's better than I remember?

Quote Originally Posted by chope View Post
    Maybe our troubles against Indy are over!
    If they hire Jason Garrett as their OC, our troubles will be over.

Coyer has been a DL coach in tampa where they run the exact same defense. So he has some experience with the Tampa 2 & will probably blitz more on defense. :salute!:

Am I right in thinking that he was the guy that ran all of the sellout cover zero blitzes? I just remember our secondary getting toasted on a lot of big plays. I do also remember Champ getting 10 INT's one of those years too...maybe He's better than I remember?
    let me refresh your memory ...in 05 we were 20 in yards allowed but were first in rush yards per game and gave up 16 points a game which i think was 2nd in the nfl ..

in 06 we didnt give up a td until we played the patriots which was i think week 5 or 6 when javon torched them for 2 long plays

Coyer is the best D-Coordinator we've had in Denver in some time, he should have never been fired. If Shanny would have kept him all along he would still have a job here in Denver and we might have another Super Bowl appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Coyer is the best D-Coordinator we've had in Denver in some time, he should have never been fired. If Shanny would have kept him all along he would still have a job here in Denver and we might have another Super Bowl appearance!
    Agreed. I think Coyer and Shanahan made a mistake letting Trevor Pryce go, but as I remember they considered him a cap casualty. They didn't want to pay him $10M a year when he had so few sacks the year before, even though Pryce didn't the sacks because of Coyer's scheme..

But overall, we played the run much tougher with Coyer than we did before or since. If we had the Defensive line to put pressure on the passer (which was a failure of Shanahan the GM) Coyer would have been more successful.
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I heard a story from someone who is friends with former coaches and don't know if this is true or not but my friend swears it is:

Before the AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh, Shanahan told Coyer to alter his game plan as he had information that Pittsburgh had figured out how to stop or read our blitz package. Coyer shined him on and Pittsburgh had a good game that Shanahan thought we should have won, and Coyer was consequently fired abruptly. Our O-line did not have a great game against Pittsburgh nor did Jake as you know.

I also think he was a good coach (many times better than Slowik) for us and could have used some more talent, particularly in the D backfield against the likes of Peyton Manning in the playoffs. But I am excited to see what we have now.

LOL. Coyer is a great example of the grass not always being greener.

Boy everyone wanted him canned after the AFC Championship game, he eventually did, since he left, we've been one of the worst defenses in the league. LOL