Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why Switch To A 3-4?

I have been considering this move, and the more I think about it, the more questions I have about it.

For instance, if the Broncos were to stay with a 4-3, the could re-sign Kenny Peterson, then pair him with Marcus Thomas at DT. Peterson is a good player that is familiar with Denver, wants to play here, and would not break the bank to keep him.

Staying with the 4-3 would also give us more flexibility in the draft.

Not only would the Broncos still have a shot at Raji, who let us not forget comes from a 4-3 from Boston College, but then Maualuga and Brian Orapko make sense at #12 as well.

If we go with a 3-4, our eggs are basically in the B.J. Raji basket, because with DJ Williams almost certainly moving inside, Maualuga does not make much sense.

I have been worse than a politician waffling on this subject, but I always come back to the premise that the best coaches adapt thier coaching to the talent and skills thier players have, and do not impose thier 'sysytem' and put square pegs in round holes.

Interestingly enough, Nolan ran a 4-3 with the Redskins, and then 'adapterd;' to the 3-4 with the Ravens when their personnel suited the switch after the Ravens lost three down linemen after their Super Bowl win.

Whatever the Broncos do, I hope they make the right choices, because there is just not much room for error on their defense.

Don't let us down, Nolan!

Our personnel sucks for either scheme as far as I'm concerned, and the 3-4 is progressively proving to be highly effective in the NFL. To me it's a wash. If the coaches decide they want to move towards a 3-4 I'm all for it, and if not that's fine too. Seriously, either way we need to acquire A LOT of defensive players in the offseason if we want to improve. Thankfully between the draft and tons of cap space, we actually might be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    I have been considering this move, and the more I think about it, the more questions I have about it.

For instance, if the Broncos were to stay with a 4-3, the could re-sign Kenny Peterson, then pair him with Marcus Thomas at DT. Peterson is a good player that is familiar with Denver, wants to play here, and would not break the bank to keep him.

Not only would the Broncos still have a shot at Raji, who let us not forget comes from a 4-3 from Boston College, but then Maualuga and Brian Orapko make sense at #12 as well.

If we go with a 3-4, our eggs are basically in the B.J. Raji basket, because with DJ Williams almost certainly moving inside, Maualuga does not make much sense.

I have been worse than a politician waffling on this subject, but I always come back to the premise that the best coaches adapt thier coaching to the talent and skills thier players have, and do not impose thier 'sysytem' and put square pegs in round holes.

Interestingly enough, Nolan ran a 4-3 with the Redskins, and then 'adapterd;' to the 3-4 with the Ravens when their personnel suited the switch after the Ravens lost three down linemen after their Super Bowl win.

Whatever the Broncos do, I hope they make the right choices, because there is just not much room for error on their defense.

Im betting they dont decide on a scheme till after the draft. THey gonna just grab the best defensive players aviable during the draft IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Im betting they dont decide on a scheme till after the draft. THey gonna just grab the best defensive players aviable during the draft IMO
    That would make absolutely no sense. Going into a draft you have to have some notion of the scheme you plan on running. Otherwise you'll end up drafting a small tampa 2 LB, an anchoring 3-4 NT, and a skinny, speed rushing DE. Then you have talent, but talent that doesn't go very well together.

i think we are gonna slowly transfer over IMO

we are going to start drafting players that could play both and weed out the bad players on our team eventually

going straight to this season makes nearly ZERO sense, we would be a disaster unless we get 2-3 IMPACT FA

im thinking bell(i know you like him MF) then i like adding crowder (he can play middle next too DJ) and then ive heard talk of us looking into peppers (for OLB)

in this case we could make a strong push for 3-4 this year and would be no worse than our d last year considering that would be extremely hard

if we got those guys that means we could grab and impact rb (i love Jennings in the 3rd possibly 2nd if he keep on balling) grab a NT (Raji or Brace are obviously the faves for the 3-4 early on) maybe grab another S and a couple LBs so we add depth
    -------

Is Jarvis Moss pretty much a bust at this point? Could he become effective in the 3-4?

Quote Originally Posted by sendacash View Post
    Is Jarvis Moss pretty much a bust at this point? Could he become effective in the 3-4?
    ive considered him a bust since we drafted him

people around here seem to think he will be more productive in the 3-4, i dont hes just to awkward of a build for me to see anything in

hes too tall for his lanky light body, hes really not that fast, he is way below avg strength for a good DE or rush OLB

hopefully he can do something so us but im not holding my breath
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post

I have to agree with this. The 3-4 is for 'big' teams, the 4-3 for 'fast' teams and the TB2 4-3 for average teams. I think we are best staffed for a 4-3 or 4-4 with a LB/SS/Rover in the box(very fast teams). The only missing piece is a CF/CoverFs to make a 4-4 possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    I have to agree with this. The 3-4 is for 'big' teams, the 4-3 for 'fast' teams and the TB2 4-3 for average teams. I think we are best staffed for a 4-3 or 4-4 with a LB/SS/Rover in the box(very fast teams). The only missing piece is a CF/CoverFs to make a 4-4 possible.
    False...we are not really staffed for chite!...lol. Awful as it may seem, I do agree with you and MindField, but the 4-3 has had little success in Denver. So the question is woulda' coulda' shoulda'? Fact is that even the 4-3 can be hurt by this draft.

There is a huge chance that come the 12th overall pick that Maualuga, Raji, Orakpo and Brown are off the boards. I hate to say this...but who we take may come down to personnel come draft day. This could end up being a bad round one for Denver fans, because of this and other factors.
    ...Master Protagonist...

this is what teams do when they're broken

san diego did it when their pass rush fell off, they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4

a major part of it was sd was trying to copy the fad at the time , the 3-4 that NE had established by shocking the world and beating the greatest show on turf

the nfl's a copycat league, and now you guys have followed suit

you just need to put together some quality LBS and a stud NT and you'll be pressuring the qb again.

seeing as how you picked your HC from the pats,., switching to a 3-4 was just about a given, i mean it's not like you had a defense that you could say "well we can't switch from a 4-3 because all these 4-3 types are doing so great!"

you change things up when they're broken, that's why sd will probably drop LT in some form...because he's broken and he's probably not going to man up and HGH like rodney harrison did lol

Why switch... eady why not. There is no one in our front seven that is worth a damn anyways. The only guy that you would consider to keep would be DJ, and even he isnt anything special.

We are going to the 3-4 cause it is a better D, more speed on the field, easier to get preasure. Plus the college game has really slimmed down. Every year there is only 1 or 2 DE's that can make an impact in a 4-3... Yet there are several 240lb DE's that would as the OLB in a 3-4. Go down the list Suggs, Ware, Woodley, Harrison, and I believe even Merriman were all DE's in college. To small for the NFL so now they are dominate pass rushers in the league

But even if we stay in the 4-3 we still have the same number of bodies that need to be replaced
    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pride

i think introducing a scheme now is as a good a time as any regardless of draft flexibility...

simply put, our current D personnel is no near nfl leaders...

we wont get worse, and if its the direction we want to head in the future, then why not start now?

its not like we can get any worse...

2008 denver:

yds allowed per game: 374.6, 29th in nfl

passing yds per game: 228.5, 26th in nfl

rushing yds per game: 146.1, 27th in nfl

points per game: 28, 30th in nfl
    the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

<a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by anton... View Post
    i think introducing a scheme now is as a good a time as any regardless of draft flexibility...

simply put, our current D personnel is no near nfl leaders...

we wont get worse, and if its the direction we want to head in the future, then why not start now?

its not like we can get any worse...

2008 denver:

yds allowed per game: 374.6, 29th in nfl

passing yds per game: 228.5, 26th in nfl

rushing yds per game: 146.1, 27th in nfl

points per game: 28, 30th in nfl
    Technically, we could get worse. We weren't ranked 32nd in any of those categories after all.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingHorsey View Post
    That would make absolutely no sense. Going into a draft you have to have some notion of the scheme you plan on running. Otherwise you'll end up drafting a small tampa 2 LB, an anchoring 3-4 NT, and a skinny, speed rushing DE. Then you have talent, but talent that doesn't go very well together.
    well... an anchoring 3-4 NT wouldn´t be bad in a 4-3 either, with abilities to clog up the middle. a big part of the -97 greenbay defense was Gilbert Brown, a 350lbs DT in an era where DTs were about 300lbs and DEs was about 270

Quote Originally Posted by japfaff View Post
    Why switch... eady why not. There is no one in our front seven that is worth a damn anyways. The only guy that you would consider to keep would be DJ, and even he isnt anything special.

We are going to the 3-4 cause it is a better D, more speed on the field, easier to get preasure. Plus the college game has really slimmed down. Every year there is only 1 or 2 DE's that can make an impact in a 4-3... Yet there are several 240lb DE's that would as the OLB in a 3-4. Go down the list Suggs, Ware, Woodley, Harrison, and I believe even Merriman were all DE's in college. To small for the NFL so now they are dominate pass rushers in the league

But even if we stay in the 4-3 we still have the same number of bodies that need to be replaced
    3-4 is not "better". The best defenses in history have been 4-3 defenses. And 3-4 is not for getting more speed on the field. You want speed, you go Tampa 2. It is, however, a good way to disguise pressure, which can be helpful. In the end, execution is far more important than alignment.