Idea to fix the first round of the NFL Draft

It seems that landing the first overall pick in the NFL Draft is more of a curse than a help. With the high cost of signing draftees in the top ten and the high possibility of drafting a bust it appears to be getting increasingly difficult to trade out of the top ten. The value of a first round pick is inflated because of the high cost, high risk factor. The first pick has been traditionally awarded to the worst team because it's thought that the pick will help the team improve. It seems to do the oppisite in many cases since a single player really only helps teams that are pretty good to begin with (in other words the first overall draftee isn't going to make the Lions a playoff team because they have so many needs). Here's my idea for making the first round more helpful to the lower ranked teams and maybe more intriguing for fans:

After the combine teams will choose which first round pick they want. The lowest ranked team will get the first choice and teams will choose in order with the Super Bowl Champ getting the last choice. This would only be for the first round. All other rounds will be held as they are today. This would allow teams to pick a drafting spot that would truely benefit them. It would be possible that the champs would get the first overall pick but if the other 31 teams did not want the spot it obviously wasn't beneficial to them. This would help take the pressure off of the worst team to make the perfect pick or sell their soul to get out of the top spot. First round picks could still be traded before the combine but you would not only get the pick you would also get the choice of where to pick.
    [COLOR="navy"][B]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]- Mythbusters[/COLOR]

[COLOR="navy"][B]"Go America... Go Broncos"[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkorange"]- Stan, South Park[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Navy"]I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR="darkorange"]- Me[/COLOR]

[COLOR="navy"][B]God Bless the United States of America! [/B][/COLOR]

I'm not going to lie, I didn't even read your whole post because I saw " teams pick their first round picks" which is silly. I have a better idea: Rookie salary cap. Which is going to happen with the next CBA.

"Problem" Fixed
    Last edited by neume1mb; 02-19-2009 at 09:01 AM.

thats the format we use in all my fantasy keeper leagues. It works well but the nfl will never do it. They need a rookie pay structure similar to the nba

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

I like it, I really like it!

why don't they just have a rookie Contract limit like they do in the NHL?
    Humm....

Quote Originally Posted by Wigglesworth View Post
    It seems that landing the first overall pick in the NFL Draft is more of a curse than a help. With the high cost of signing draftees in the top ten and the high possibility of drafting a bust it appears to be getting increasingly difficult to trade out of the top ten. The value of a first round pick is inflated because of the high cost, high risk factor. The first pick has been traditionally awarded to the worst team because it's thought that the pick will help the team improve. It seems to do the oppisite in many cases since a single player really only helps teams that are pretty good to begin with (in other words the first overall draftee isn't going to make the Lions a playoff team because they have so many needs). Here's my idea for making the first round more helpful to the lower ranked teams and maybe more intriguing for fans:

After the combine teams will choose which first round pick they want. The lowest ranked team will get the first choice and teams will choose in order with the Super Bowl Champ getting the last choice. This would only be for the first round. All other rounds will be held as they are today. This would allow teams to pick a drafting spot that would truely benefit them. It would be possible that the champs would get the first overall pick but if the other 31 teams did not want the spot it obviously wasn't beneficial to them. This would help take the pressure off of the worst team to make the perfect pick or sell their soul to get out of the top spot. First round picks could still be traded before the combine but you would not only get the pick you would also get the choice of where to pick.
    I agree the draft needs fixed, but 'holy chite' that is just idiotic...lol. Not against you bro, but man that just is not the right way to do it. I agree there will be a limit in the next CBA regarding rookie additions fiscally. And as I said there are things that need to be done overall to fix the draft. In my honest opinion the draft was better when they had several more rounds...thus I think the draft should start at 7pm eastern/standard time and the entire first round should be played out before the night is done. Day two have rounds two, three, four, five and six. Then on Sunday have rounds seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven and twelve. In my opinion I believe the draft was far more interesting when teams had more to pick from and could farm them.
    ...Master Protagonist...

why would the team with the worst record not take the 1st pick? because he's gonna cost them money?

yeah we suck but we'd prefer to get a crappier player in the first round instead of that franchise qb we need so badly because we're not sure if he will actually pan out and we'll save a couple bucks

maybe it's just me but that's a silly idea