View Poll Results: Who do you support?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Cutler

    18 38.30%
  • Denver Broncos

    29 61.70%
Page 804 of 1461 FirstFirst ... 304 704 754 794 802 803 804 805 806 814 854 904 1304 ... LastLast
Results 12,046 to 12,060 of 21901
  1. #12046
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Norwalk, CT., by way of Broncos Nation, USA
    Posts
    736

    Analysis: Broncos Shouldn't Trade Cutler

    The Broncos should not trade quarterback Jay Cutler.

    At the moment, the relationship between Cutler and head coach Josh McDaniels seems so fractured that it is tempting to get rid of Cutler. But the Broncos should resist that temptation.

    I'm sure that Denver could get an attractive combination of players and draft picks for Cutler, but the long-term best interests of the team, of Cutler and of McDaniels would be best served if this trade never happens.

    Cutler's immaturity and McDaniels inexperience have proven to be combustible together, but that explosive power doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just as nuclear power can be used for good or evil, these two men can combine their incredible talents in a way that will make them both better professionals.

    From the Broncos perspective, Cutler is a franchise quarterback with tremendous upside. Franchise quarterbacks are hard to come by, and when you've got one, the last thing you want to do is let him go. Cutler is one of the pillars around which the rest of the team can be built. Trading him would leave the Broncos worse off at the most important position on the field.

    Keeping Cutler in Denver would serve his best interests, too, because it would force him to deal with a difficult situation rather than running away from it. Cutler's feelings were hurt by the Broncos' attempt to trade him, and his reaction has been immature, unprofessional and aggressive. Many people have said that Cutler needs to grow up, and I think that's a fair assessment.

    My wife and I have a 5-year-old son named Malik, and he occasionally throws temper tantrums. We know that we can't reward his tantrums by giving him what he wants, otherwise he'll do it all the time. If we don't give in to him tantrums, he will eventually learn how to appropriately deal with disappointment.

    It's clear that tantrums have worked for Cutler throughout his life, and he's never going to "grow up" until he starts bumping into problems that he can't resolve with tantrums. This is a critical moment in Cutler's maturation as a man and as a player in the business world of the NFL. If he is traded, then his tantrum worked, and he'll end up with another team where he's bound to throw another tantrum the moment that team does something that displeases him.

    Forcing Cutler to stay with the Broncos will help him grow up, because he won't be able to run away from the target of his tantrum. He will have to make amends with McDaniels and they'll start working together. For Cutler to reach his full potential as a quarterback, he needs this emotional growth.

    Keeping Cutler will serve McDaniel's best interests, because he won't have to live with the legacy of the guy who got his first head coaching gig, and promptly alienated the best player on the team before they'd ever even met.

    McDaniels will be forced to address the mistakes that he's made with Cutler, and it will help him become a better coach. I don't believe that McDaniels had any malicious intent when he considered trading Cutler. But the thoughtless manner in which the trade talks were conducted reflects on McDaniels' inexperience. He didn't think about the ramifications that could develop if the trade fell apart and the media reported that he had attempted to shop Cutler.

    That's a lesson learned for McDaniels. I guarantee you that the next time he considers trading a marquee player, he'll take much more care in how he communicates with that athlete.

    So the reasons that Jay Cutler must remain at the helm of the Broncos offense can be summarized as a series of "can'ts": Denver can't afford to trade away its franchise quarterback; Cutler can't be enabled by having his tantrum pay off, and McDaniels can't start his first coaching gig by forcing out the team's best player.

    Through all of this McDaniels is also getting a crash course in what it's like to be the head coach of the Denver Broncos. He came from the New England, and at this time of year the Red Sox dominate the news in Boston so no one is really thinking about the Patriots.

    But in Colorado, the Broncos are the state religion. No matter how good a season the Nuggets, Avalanche or Rockies are having, if the Broncos sneeze, the entire state says, "God bless you!"

    "Made by White Dragon - 8/26/10"
    Great Job & thanks, WD!


    Tim Tebow club member 15

    "He had a better career than [Hall of Famer Gale] Sayers did, but he is not held in the same regard. Is that fair to Davis?"--Dan Patrick, ESPN


    A great shot is when you pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. --Phil Mickelson, 2010 Masters champion

  2. #12047
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    220
    My responses are in red.

    I hear many people saying " Jay, get over it ... it's a business". I think it is fair to say that Jay is looking out for his own best interest at this point now that he has seen his new boss.

    These are my points to support this.

    Assumption: Both Jay & Josh understand the strong relationship between the OC and the QB.

    1) Did Josh offer to keep Jeremy Bates and have Jeremy learn Josh's system continue to work with Cutler? Or did Josh just show up with his Belichek attitude and just kick the previous regime out the door without even talking to them? The latter would set the tone for the future. No head coach is going to bring a new (very complicated) system to a new team and start with an OC and a QB that don't have any experience with that system. I think that Bates had to go so that they could keep Cutler. I think the way McDumb*$$ handled this whole situation speaks to his immaturity and lack of experience, but Bates wasn't an option as his OC and it was silly of Jay to think Bates would be protected.

    2) [I]Since Josh knew Matt Cassell's situation when he interviewed for the Head Coaching job, do you think he had this whole plan in the back of his mind when he interviewed? If so, why interview in Denver? Did Bowlen know and about this? If not, would have Bowlen hired him if he knew that his plan was to make a mini Patriots team with all the ex-Patrtiots players he could get, including the backup QB?


    3) When this started to unfold in front of the Bronco players, and I think the Mike Leach cut was what made this plan very clear, I think the players started to see the writing on the wall. This is why I feel Jay didn't want to be part of this garage sale and wanted to control his own destiny.This (points 2 and 3) is an interesting conspiracy theory. I totally agree with you on Jay wanting control his own destiny. However, I doubt a rational QB would think that his destiny is better off in Detroit.

    4) Josh's attempts to reconcile didn't seem to be genuine if it s true that on Saturday's meeting and the previous phone conference he confronted Jay with nothing but criticism. I'm not say that Jay doesn't deserve criticism, but maybe not at that point in time (this should have been common sense for anyone). I don't think that anyone knows exactly what happened in that meeting. The two sides are so far apart in their interpretations that one or both sides have to be exagerating. I tend to think that both are being less than truthful about their discussions.


    5) Jay could see that his style and Josh's style was not an easy match and probably was going to be compared to Tom Brady and hence ech year Jay would feel that if he and the team wasn't as good as a top NFL team that Josh was going to put the blame on Jay and jay's decisions and INTs. It would be easy to see Jay wasn't going to be Josh's scapegoat.

    When you add this up, it is easy to see that Jay was looking out for Jay Cutler, Inc.. I get the impression that Jay was naively thinking that there was some team loyalty and once it was made clear that it is a business, he decided to look at it the same way.

    Now, it is best for both companies to go their own direction and start over.

    Josh, just made his job a whole lot harder, not only does he have to fix a pathetic defense he will have to find a franchise QB and a TE that could replace Tony Scheffler because he is next out the door.
    Unfortunately Tony isn't the type of TE that fits McD's offense. Putz was resigned because he is a blocking TE. Tony isn't and will probably be better off somewhere that will actually utilize his talents.

    If Josh can take the Broncos into the playoffs, then I would be impressed but he just made his first year unbelievably difficult and put himself in a really bad spot. I think he'll be the poster child for years to come on new Head Coaching Rookie mistakes.He certainly has created his own baptism by fire!
    Last edited by Wigglesworth; 03-18-2009 at 09:44 AM.
    [COLOR="navy"][B]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]- Mythbusters[/COLOR]

    [COLOR="navy"][B]"Go America... Go Broncos"[/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkorange"]- Stan, South Park[/COLOR]

    [B][COLOR="Navy"]I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.[/COLOR][/B]
    [COLOR="darkorange"]- Me[/COLOR]

    [COLOR="navy"][B]God Bless the United States of America! [/B][/COLOR]

  3. #12048
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by McKeough View Post
    ... you're only further displaying your ignorance.

    Just because we, the paying fans, the same people who pump money into the franchise, and keep it going say we're not going to support the team if Cutler is traded, doesn't make us bandwagon fans.

    We don't have to blindly follow and agree with every move management makes even when it's clearly a terrible, stupid decision.

    Every year me and my brother spend thousands of dollars and travel thousands of miles flying to Denver for a week from Nova Scotia, Canada, to see a Broncos game. That will not happen this year if Cutler is traded, and if he is, for the duration of Josh McDaniels' employment.

    I'm not paying $200.00 for Sunday Ticket, either.

    Yes, I'll follow the team, and watch games if they're televised locally, but I will not support the team if they go through with this decision.

    I've been a Bronco fan for over ten years, through thick and thin. I remember when we were a classy organization. I WILL NOT support the team as long as an outright liar is at the helm. And it's not debateable. Josh McDaniels lied to Jay, his players, and the fans. And he got caught. He messed up and he's too arrogant and won't swallow his pride and man up.

    So, stop calling me a bandwagon fan, because you're wrong. I've supported and been a fan of the franchise longer than a lot of you, and I'll continue to root for the players.

    I will not, however, support the franchise as long as it's run by dishonest idiots who clearly don't know how to run a team. And that doesn't make me, or anyone else a fairweather fan or bandwagoner - we're just educated.
    Well sadly to say as nice as this passage is you're still considered a bandwagoner. You shouldn't call yourselves fans but more like player likers. If you are a TRUE ORANGE AND BLUE DENVER BRONCOS FAN then you wouldn't let a QB draw you away from your team.

    If you're not going to support the team as a whole then please do not call youselves fans. I've been a Broncos fan for 14 years and im 19 and never will I ever DIS-OWN my TEAM over any player. Why? Because im a TRUE FAN!!!!

    :go: NOT :cutler:
    GO BRONCOS!!!

  4. #12049
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,565
    I just don't understand how is it that Josh McDaniels lies to Jay, the media, and by consequence the fans, and Jay has been completely honest and consistent throughout, yet Jay is still the villain in this story.

    I get he rubs people the wrong way. But one would only lie if they felt they made a mistake. I mean, if all McDaniels was doing was acting in the best interest of the franchise and trying to do everything he can to win within the rules of the game, why the need to lie about it and change your story 2-3 times over the past two weeks?

    I'm sorry. McDaniels has MUCH more to prove to me than Jay Cutler. And it's pretty concerning that people would overlook the fact that McDaniels flat-out lied to everyone and they still blame Cutler in this, despite the fact that his story is the only one that's been consistent.

  5. #12050
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6
    i for one will still watch broncos and root for them, i cant stand mcd. that guy is a freaking idiot. Our offense wasnt the problem, it was our defense. All we need was a good solid back and our offense would be unstoppable. Our defense still has missing pieces in it. So far Mcd has done a poor job at HC and we havent even played one game. If cutler leaves, i dont blame him for what Mcd did, was saying a message to Jay saying that he doesnt fit in his system and cant win. matt cassal is overrated and shall see this season. but anyways, i always will watch and root for my team. Not for the F.O. but only for the players.

  6. #12051
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,864
    Quote Originally Posted by McKeough View Post
    ... you're only further displaying your ignorance.

    Just because we, the paying fans, the same people who pump money into the franchise, and keep it going say we're not going to support the team if Cutler is traded, doesn't make us bandwagon fans.

    We don't have to blindly follow and agree with every move management makes even when it's clearly a terrible, stupid decision.

    Every year me and my brother spend thousands of dollars and travel thousands of miles flying to Denver for a week from Nova Scotia, Canada, to see a Broncos game. That will not happen this year if Cutler is traded, and if he is, for the duration of Josh McDaniels' employment.

    I'm not paying $200.00 for Sunday Ticket, either.

    Yes, I'll follow the team, and watch games if they're televised locally, but I will not support the team if they go through with this decision.

    I've been a Bronco fan for over ten years, through thick and thin. I remember when we were a classy organization. I WILL NOT support the team as long as an outright liar is at the helm. And it's not debateable. Josh McDaniels lied to Jay, his players, and the fans. And he got caught. He messed up and he's too arrogant and won't swallow his pride and man up.

    So, stop calling me a bandwagon fan, because you're wrong. I've supported and been a fan of the franchise longer than a lot of you, and I'll continue to root for the players.

    I will not, however, support the franchise as long as it's run by dishonest idiots who clearly don't know how to run a team. And that doesn't make me, or anyone else a fairweather fan or bandwagoner - we're just educated.
    Through thick and thin huh? Let me explain this to you as easily as I can so you can follow.

    Cutler has shunned McDaniels and rubbed him the wrong way from day 1. He didn't return his phone calls, was upset about Shanny getting fired and expressed it, was upset about McD not keeping Bates (which, for all we know Bates could have wanted out, he was offered the OC job at USC and took it)oh we are just gonna promote the QB coach to OC just because the QB wants him too, even though Bates knws nothing about the system McD employs.

    Teams threw trade ideas into McDaniels lap and he listened, shame on him, for trying to get 2 or 3 day 1 picks out of a QB who doesn't want to play for him anyways.

    Cutler can say what he wants, he has not communicated with his Head Coach from day 1 because he is not the guy he wanted at the helm. I love the fact that McDaniels is not backing down and not kissing Jay's arse. This is Josh's team and he has made that clear from day 1.

    Cutler has NOT done enough in this league to demand anything. He is nothing to McDaniels until he proves himself, just like every other player on the team, he will have to earn respect.

    I've played organized football all my life and from day 1 I was always taught that you respect and answer to your Head Coach, not the other way around.

    If Jay wants a new contract then I REALLY want him gone becuase he has not proved squat to earn that and is learning a whole new system which we don't even know if he can pick it up.

    I am a fan of the DENVER BRONCOS, and as of today I am a fan of Jay Cutler but if and when Cutler gets traded I will not abondon the team I've lived and died for for the past 23 years for a kid that has been a punk from day 1 and I've rooted for for the past 3.

    If you quit being a Broncos fan simply because they trade an egotistical, arrogant, above average, disgruntled QB for a package of picks that will help build this team then yes, you my friend are truly

    A Fairweather FAN
    Last edited by KWHIT97; 03-17-2009 at 07:52 AM.

  7. #12052
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15

    Being of fan of the denver broncos

    is my ultimate, #1 loyalty. That being said, Matt Cassel is not better then Jay Cutler. And now that Matt is off the market, there is no starting QB that can be anywhere as good as Cutler right now. Who are we gonna get that can step in and not miss a stride to be where Jay is at? Simms-no, Garcia- no, Brady Quinn-no, any of the remnants of the Jets QBs- no, Culpepper- close but no. So that being said, if you are a fan of the denver broncos winning football games, I think you have to hate what McD is doing.

  8. #12053
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,843
    Quote Originally Posted by AC1 View Post
    That's true. What was surprising was that Rod Woodson who doesn't like QBs in general, spoke so strongly in Cutler's favor. But yeah, the ex-players seemed to place a lot of emphasis on the broken trust, whereas the executives side with their own.

    This would then suggest that neither Cutler nor McDaniels did anything that their peers in the league would not do. With that said then, the question becomes can they work together and if they cannot, which of the two would you rather have? Your preference appears to be McDaniels, but IMO rookie head coaches are easy to find, franchise QBs, especially ones as talented as Cutler are much harder to find. If he takes some extra management, IMO he is worth it. If Shanahan, who was two generations older could manage him, McDaniels (once he stops trying to be a Mangini clone) should be able to do so as well.

    As mojo said, when Cutler goes 8-8 in a season with a good defense and solid running game, I'll be all for giving up on him.
    no i think every player..which is the heart of any team..sides with cutler, they understand you gotta look a coach in the eye and trust him.. you got to believe what he's preaching...gms and other excecutives who never played pro football wouldnt grasp this, they only see the business side...these players are meat which we own the rights to and will do what we want with...

    point is there is not one expert or very few, i have seen that ultimately believes cassel would be an upgrade over cutler....and im sure there are many wondering what kind of moron comes in a tries to fix a 2nd ranked offense by tradeing the franchise qb and your first rnd, for a man who has only took meaningful snaps in 16 games since high school...while the 29th ranked defense sits

    then the moron lies to everyone and cutler..there goes that trust

    and of course bowlen will stand behind mcdoosh...he just fired one of the greatest coaches in the game and hired this dooshbag...he's gotta stand behind him even if he's tearing down the stability and respectability of the team..even if it loses us the hardest commodity to aquire in the league...a true franchise qb and sets us back years

  9. #12054
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by red 19 View Post
    Where exactly am I wrong and uninformed?Rivers winning percentage, TD/INT ratio, QB rating, etc all get worse in the playoffs. -FACT.............thats not to say Rivers is horrible, just that he plays worse in the playoffs.

    Remember SD had a tough time beating anyone in the division when Brees was here, thats not because Rivers is better........its because the teams in the division were better. Now the division is in shambles, yet the Rivers and the Chargers keep losing more and more games.
    They have become a Rivers led afterthought. Sorry to break your heart, but Rivers last playoff game showed the whole world (again) that he lacks the confidence to make something happen when needed most......despite being surrounded by HOF skill players and the leagues most explosive player(Sproles)


    Your team has achieved mediocrity...........despite all that HOF talent and being in the leagues weakest division.
    I guess I will never understand the mindset of a fan who accepts mediocrity as success. Thank goodness my team does not celebrate an 8 win season.
    LMAO. So what is Peyton Manning's excuse. The Colts have been to the playoffs for like 8 straight years. What was Dan Marino's excuse? What was Elway's excuse for the first 15 years of his career? What is Donavon McNabb's excuse? They all must lack confidence.

    Gimme a break. the guy has been a starter in the league for only 3 SEASONS. Did you even watch the playoff game against pitt?

    Finally, what is Jay Cutlers excuse?

  10. #12055
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    349
    I agree I know he throws alot of picks but if
    MCdaniels teaches him to manage the game better I think he could be one of the elite quarter backs in the league and he needs to learn how to carry himself better off the field

  11. #12056
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ville of Rose, NorCal
    Posts
    18,338
    Look, you basically just called me "uneducated" because I'm a true fan of the team. Right? How arogant of you is that? You claim you're not a "fairweather fan" yet when it looks bleak right now you're saying that you're not gonna support the team. Fine. Go. We don't need you on this wagon. Go root for another team that does not have the history of success we have had. Go root for a team that has broken the hearts of it's fan more then this team has. You don't have to root for McD or Bowlen... but to claim you're a Bronco's fan means you actually root for the team, not one player. The situation was handled improperly by BOTH sides and is further being handled wrong by Cutler and his agent. Well... if he leaves, buh bye! If he stays... wait, let me guess.... you'll be a Bronco's fan again? And you say I'm the uneducated one?

  12. #12057
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,843
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I just don't understand how is it that Josh McDaniels lies to Jay, the media, and by consequence the fans, and Jay has been completely honest and consistent throughout, yet Jay is still the villain in this story.

    I get he rubs people the wrong way. But one would only lie if they felt they made a mistake. I mean, if all McDaniels was doing was acting in the best interest of the franchise and trying to do everything he can to win within the rules of the game, why the need to lie about it and change your story 2-3 times over the past two weeks?

    I'm sorry. McDaniels has MUCH more to prove to me than Jay Cutler. And it's pretty concerning that people would overlook the fact that McDaniels flat-out lied to everyone and they still blame Cutler in this, despite the fact that his story is the only one that's been consistent.
    i can except he ****ed up...he's young he had a blond moment

    but then to lie about it, to cutler, to the media to the fans is unacceptable..nobody likes a lier. then to have not one but 2 shots at mending the fence, and take those chances as the opportunety to flex your muscle and enforce your the boss and still may trade cutler if i so desire
    ....instead of appealing to the franchise qb !!!

    whatta *****...and i cant believe people are happy that we waited so long for a true talent to come back to denver only to see a rookie hc who hasnt won a game yet...come in and loose him because his ego is so friggen high he cant admit it to cutler he screwed up and welcome him back

  13. #12058
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,864
    Nice post sir! :salute!:

    I think the Broncos should dangle Jay out there and see what kind of offers they can get. If someone blows them away then why not move him.

    If they do not get exactly what they want, make him sit, fine his arse off, and give him the Ocho Cinco treatment. Cutler will have no option but to play or he will just lose market value when he is pulling for a new contract.

    Everyone thinks Cutler holds all the cards here, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

    Let him sit, grow up, and start Simms.

  14. #12059
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    497
    kwhit97, I have a sneaking suspicion that you havent been on the winning end of football very much. Otherwise you would be less bitter.

    I for one, am accustomed to winning.
    I have been marginalized so lesser and more enthusiastic players could start.
    I have not been thrown to, because the community supported someone who had to be alpha quarterback...
    Ive even been injured, and not received any attention, even though Im a nice guy.
    I know the Spiel.

    But I remain and always will remain a winner. I have a few medals, and I hoisted a trophy. And given a fair chance, I would do so again.
    mooncamping is a new Cleveland Browns fan
    [IMG]http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/08/medium_Rogers[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://www.logoblog.org/images/denver-broncos-1960-logo.png[/IMG]

  15. #12060
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I'll start by saying, I don't agree AT ALL with trading Jay. But I can't agree on the "shame on the front office" thing. Yeah, I love :cutler: but if the deal would have gotten done with Detroit we would have gotten:

    1. Matt Cassel
    2. #1 Overall
    3. #20 Overall

    While I'm pissed that Doogie and Xanders dangled Cutler, you CANNOT deny that 2 first round picks and a somewhat serviceable (although not even close to Cutler's upside) for Jay Cutler would have been a BLOCKBUSTER move.

    But, he isn't going anywhere (thank God), and I'm ready to see McD and Jay get this thing rolling and bring back the winning attitude here in Denver.
    dude nobody wants that first overall pick!...there isn even anyone in the draft worth all the money that comes with getting that pick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •