View Poll Results: Who do you support?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Cutler

    18 38.30%
  • Denver Broncos

    29 61.70%
Page 420 of 1461 FirstFirst ... 320 370 410 418 419 420 421 422 430 470 520 920 1420 ... LastLast
Results 6,286 to 6,300 of 21901
  1. #6286
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    I think Mortensen quoted Cutler as saying he 'had no plans' to meet with the Broncos anytime soon.
    Never EVER quote Mortensen....he is normally wrong
    Dumervil's Biggest Fan

  2. #6287
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Groves, Texas
    Posts
    906
    Both sides went about it the wrong way. They should both apologize, and move on to what's really important. The longer this is an issue, the stronger the chance it will roll over into camp.

  3. #6288
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    There's still rampant talk from the fans here that Cutler will still ultimately be traded before the start of the 2009 season. Most if this is baseless speculation and guessing. Nonetheless, due to the delay of the Cutler/Front Office meeting, many are assuming the worst.

    Well, I'm here to calm all fears and assure everyone that Cutler WILL BE a Bronco in 2009, by using sound logic and common sense.

    First off, let's make it clear that right now the Broncos ARE NOT actively looking to trade Cutler. They've already put that to rest, and given how things have gone for the Front Office in the eyes of the fans and media in the past two months, the Broncos wouldn't risk telling everyone they wouldn't trade Cutler, only to have it come out they were still seeking a deal. Furthermore, the original deal to trade Cutler was so McDaniels could bring in his guy, Matt Cassel. It wasn't for the added draft picks (although that was a bonus). It wasn't all because there's likely tension between the two (although I'm sure it was a small part of it). It was because McDaniels had a chance to bring in a guy he trusted to run his system, much like bringing in Paxton in favor of Leach, even though Leach was perfectly fine in the role of long snapper. If McDaniels is going to be in a situation where he has to adapt a quarterback to his system, it might as well be Cutler. Even if they don't get along, you can't dump a talented franchise quarterback with no real fallback plan.

    Also, at this point the Broncos have lost much bargaining stock, and wouldn't get nearly as much in return if they opted to trade Cutler now, after everything has been aired out in the open. Could you imagine the front office explaining that they had to trade Cutler away for a 2nd or a 3rd-round draft pick and a couple of mercenary players? It would be a PR nightmare. And even if the Broncos were to get a high draft pick - one high enough to draft either Stafford or Sanchez - neither quaterback is projected to be an elite quarterback in the NFL. That would put the Broncos in a position of relying on Chris Simms to lead the way for 2009, and regardless if you like the signing, there's no way Simms is remotely capable of being a full-time quarterback and perform at the level Cutler has.

    So, the Broncos won't actively seek to trade Cutler between now and training camp.

    But what about Cutler forcing a trade, and perhaps holding out until one happens?

    If Cutler were looking to be traded, he would just come out and say it. Cutler doesn't want to wind up in a bad situation, such as Detroit. So it would be in his favor to make things difficult publicly to force the Broncos hand and make the situation more favorable to him, while simotaneously hurting the Broncos in the process. Thus far, Cutler has outright denied he asked to be traded.

    Furthermore, we've seen how badly McDaniels keeps things 'in house', so if a deal were still being worked out, it would almost certainly be out right now.

    Now, for argument's sake, let's say he was quietly demanding a trade. There's no incentive for the Broncos to make a deal now, for some of the reasons I mentioned above. Cassel is firmly in Kansas City and Denver has no bargaining power. For them, it makes more sense to wait until Training Camp and force Cutler to hold out (again, on the basis that Cutler is demanding out of Denver). At that point, the Broncos can fine Cutler and take the position of victim as opposed to villain, maintaining that they want Cutler to report but he refuses. For Cutler, this is a terrible situation, because he needs training camp, especially if he winds up going to another team. The Broncos can simply wait through training camp and preseason with Simms at the helm, and then at the last possible moment trade him to the most desperate team in need of major quarterback help. This would put Cutler in the position of missing all of training camp and having to go to a new team and learn a playbook from scratch, all but guaranteeing that his fourth season as a Pro will be a forgettable one. And Denver will be the victor, because they would have gotten as much for Cutler as they possible could at that point, and Cutler will surely be placed in a position where he will fail, making the Broncos look that much better.

    So in the end, it's a lose/lose situation for both sides to make a deal right now. Denver simply has no other option for 2009, while Cutler won't want to screw himself for his 4th (and potentially most critical) season.

    Cutler will be a Denver Bronco in 2009. No question about it.
    Wrong wrong wrong.
    Cutler's agent has already said, publicly, that if the Broncos actively sought to trade Jay for Cassel that he didn't think Jay could get over it, and that something would have to happen. That is setting the stage.
    What happens if Jay just doesn't show up for the OTA's or minicamp? At that point the Broncos would have to consider trading or releasing Cutler. Fining him is irrelevant. There is no better time for Cutler to force his way out of Denver than now. He is a known, Pro Bowl commodity, and he is 25 years old. He has, barring injury, at least 10 years of football left.
    Now the Broncos can sit him, and fine him, for the entire season, then be forced to deal him next year. But thinking the closer the season gets the more levergage Denver will have is flawed logic. The worse the situation is that he will going into, the less likely a team will be to give much up for him. In other words, Detroit will not be more desparate on September 1st than they are now. It would make less sense to give up a lot to bring a guy in at the last minute than it would to give up a lot now. There is no reason to think Cutler the product has lost any appeal. There is no reason to think he has less trade value now than he did before the failed attempt to trade him for Cassel. Now the closer to the season they get, and the more untenable the situation appears, the less leverage the Broncos will have. Nobody is going to give a King's ransom for a player if they think you have to trade him.
    The best time to trade Cutler, if indeed it looks like that has to happen, is now or sometime before the draft.
    The problem with the Cutler aspect of your argument is that he is clearly not thinking of winning right now, he's thinking of how he's been treated, and whether or not he is going to get the respect he thinks he deserves. If he goes to Detroit, wins 6, 7, 8 games, throws for 4,000 yards and 20 something touchdowns, how would that be a failure? It's what he did at Denver. Bottom line, if Jay doesn't show up, sit down, and try to work this thing out, he will be gone. You can't make someone do what you want them to, and understanding that means the team might have to cut ties with the most talented player to wear a Broncos uniform since John Elway.
    Now to be clear on this, Josh McDaniels' obsession with having his players and doing things his way, without taking into consideration the fragile ego of a young, extremely talented quarterback, is the reason this situation exists to begin with.
    I still believe that if some sort of effort, obviously greater than what has been put forth to date, is made on the part of the front office, that the situation can be salvaged, and once the team starts winning, all of this will be forgotten. But you can't win games without taking the field, so obviously getting to the season with Culter still on the team is the most important element to the whole thing.
    Last edited by Letswinplz77; 03-09-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  4. #6289
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    But that's the point. Cassel is in Kansas City. So unless they're going to give him up, or the Broncos pull off a miracle trade and bring in Tom Brady, McDaniels is going to have to adpat a new quarterback to his system.

    So with that being the case, it might as well be Cutler, because there aren't any better options, at least none that I've heard.
    You are completely underestimating Cutler's resolve. "it might as well be Cutler" implies that the entire decision is in McDaniels' hands, and the bottom line is that it very well may not be. I don't think the question, at this point, is whether or not McDaniels wants Cutler. To your point, why wouldn't he after he couldn't get Cassel? Of course he does. The question has now become does Jay want the Broncos, under this regime? If he doesn't, if he is determined to leave, there may not be any other option.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  5. #6290
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    372

    Bronco Lover

    To RainyTX

    I totally agree with you.

    Both sides need to meet ASAP, and before the NFL Draft.
    D.E

  6. #6291
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    You are completely underestimating Cutler's resolve. "it might as well be Cutler" implies that the entire decision is in McDaniels' hands, and the bottom line is that it very well may not be. I don't think the question, at this point, is whether or not McDaniels wants Cutler. To your point, why wouldn't he after he couldn't get Cassel? Of course he does. The question has now become does Jay want the Broncos, under this regime? If he doesn't, if he is determined to leave, there may not be any other option.
    And if you read my post, I already addressed the 'what if Jay REALLY wants to leave'?

    I apologize I didn't respond to your first post, but it was very difficult to read. However, I don't know where you got your information about Jay's agent. He somewhat backtracked his comments late last week, and the bottom line is that Jay has denied outright that he wants to be or asked to be traded.

  7. #6292
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    And if you read my post, I already addressed the 'what if Jay REALLY wants to leave'?

    I apologize I didn't respond to your first post, but it was very difficult to read. However, I don't know where you got your information about Jay's agent. He somewhat backtracked his comments late last week, and the bottom line is that Jay has denied outright that he wants to be or asked to be traded.
    Your approach to "what if Jay REALLY want to leave" was that Denver would wait until almost the start of the season to trade him and get max value. That is wrong. The more it looks like he wants out, and the closer to the start of the season it gets, the less the Broncos will get for Culter.
    His agent's statements were quoted in one of the Denver Post articles. And of course he backed off, and of course Cutler denies asking/wanting to be traded. This is the blame game. If it is Cutler's desire, his pushing, his wish to leave, it get's harder for that to happen because other teams will smell blood and the offers will get worse and worse. If it is the Broncos fault, then he is sympathetic and just a pawn in this whole mess and the offers will have to be substantial to move him, making it more likely the Broncos accept. It's tricky, but it is definitely not black and white, and Cutler's lack of demanding a trade could be nothing more than him being smarter than he looks.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  8. #6293
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    And if you read my post, I already addressed the 'what if Jay REALLY wants to leave'?

    I apologize I didn't respond to your first post, but it was very difficult to read. However, I don't know where you got your information about Jay's agent. He somewhat backtracked his comments late last week, and the bottom line is that Jay has denied outright that he wants to be or asked to be traded.
    Nice little backhanded slap to the face. It was written in English, with beginnings and endings, punctuation, etc., so I would imagine it was just as easy to read as your lengthy little diatribe.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  9. #6294
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    Same could be said for any team's defense in any given season, it's that simple, Denver's offense didn't put any more pressure on their defense than Pittsburgh's offense put on their defense.

    Pitt: 15 Int's and 10 fumbles.......Denver: 18 Int's and 12 fumbles.

    Are you saying 5 Turnovers resulted in a significant difference in team record and 2 more TD's a game given up by the defense?

    Before you try to put stats into perspective you have to actually have perspective. The best defense in the league gave up exactly zero 30 point games, must have been those 5 less turnovers. Turnovers, short field and lack of rest are a fact of life that every single defense in the league has to deal with.

    Btw, according to Sandy Clough and Jim Armstrong (Who is a contributor to the Pro Football Prospectus, he knows stats!), Denver led the league in 10+ play drives by a wide margin, they were doing their part to keep the defense rested. As if rest had anything to do with them sucking ass, anyway.......
    Turnovers ,bad field position from those turnovers AND STs, 3 and outs and injuries made a below average D look horrible.
    http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...llisSalute.jpg

    :salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

  10. #6295
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    2,985
    Just another person trying to stir the pot. Get over it already.

  11. #6296
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18,962
    Quote Originally Posted by pitnlala View Post
    Here are the records of QB's when their defense gives up 30+ points. This should help put his record in perspective.

    UPDATED:

    Tom Brady 5-8 (.384);
    Jim Kelly 10-20 (.333);
    Peyton Manning 9-25 (.265);
    Joe Montana 6-17 (.261);
    Kurt Warner 6-22 (.214);
    Jay Cutler 3-13 (.188);
    Steve Young 4-19 (.174);
    Ben Roethlisberger 2-10 (.167);
    Brett Favre 8-42 (.160);
    Terry Bradshaw 4-20-1 (.160);
    Donovan McNabb 3-16 (.158);
    John Elway 7-41 (.146);
    Dan Marino 7-52 (.119);
    Phyllis Rivers 1-8 (.111);
    Jake Plummer 4-37 (.098), 0-10 w/the Broncos;
    Troy Aikman 2-20 (.091);
    Ron Jaworski 1-14 (.067);
    Eli Manning 1-16 (.059);
    Phil Simms 0-20 (.000)
    Dude.. you have earned yourself a few CP from me. This is great homework.

    How telling is this stat? Thats unbelievable...... thank you for looking this stuff up.

  12. #6297
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18,962
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyBronco View Post
    Turnovers ,bad field position from those turnovers AND STs, 3 and outs and injuries made a below average D look horrible.
    YOu obviously aren't paying attention. We didn't have any more turnovers than the rest of the NFL. We weren't bad at three and outs, and we had more 10+ drives than the rest of the NFL.

    so everything you just stated... is completely irrelevant

  13. #6298
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    1,503
    Since we're all speculating, maybe Jay was unable to attend a meeting because he's stuck in a hospital or something. I know he's not but still...

    Jay will be fine. He will stay a Bronco.

  14. #6299
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    You must also put in perspective that many of those points were scored because our offense constantly threw interceptions and fumbled the ball, putting the opposing offense in good position and not allowing our defense to rest. Our defense was awful, but the offense did not help much.
    Let's see, this year Ben Rothlesberger was responsible for 22 turnovers Jay Cutler 20, of Ben's turnovers 5 were converted into touchdowns, all 5 put the opponent in immediate scoring position, of those 5, 4 occurred in 2 of Pitt's losses, he had at least another 6 that also put the opponent into immediate scoring position and all the opponent got was 3's. Also, Ben had 41, 3 and outs, compared to Cutler's 28. Yet Ben has 2 rings and Cutler has yet to reach the playoffs. I would say that having a defense that you can count on is a major component to the perception of a successful QB.

  15. #6300
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA by way of Phx, AZ
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by draco193 View Post
    I think it hasnt happened yet, in large part because McD is trying to figure out what to say. He needs a plan of action, and with the signing of FA, he hasnt had time to figure one out yet.
    Hes probably trying to figure out what Jay's favorite flower is and whether or not he likes coconut in his chocolates.
    LET 'ER BUCK!!!
    Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •