Page 44 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IgorBStrange View Post
    Quinn may have played well at Notre Dame, but that is college, not the NFL. Plus, as I recall, he started against Denver, and we actually got on his nerves with our pass rush, as pathetic as it was. Indecisive, weak armed, naw, not for me.

Shaun will play well his first year, then demand a new contract or a trade. Sound familiar? He did it in Detroit, Cleveland and whomever is stupid enough to get him now.
    In his first start, on a short week against us Quinn was 23/35 for 239 yards, 2 TDs, no INT's, with a 104.3 passer rating. We actually made him look pretty unstoppable... Not that that's saying very much, but I remember being pretty impressed with him that game.

The Broncos won't trade Cutler, because they know right now there isn't equal value anywhere for him. Once the Cassel trade fell through, that was pretty much going to be the end of it from the head office side of things, but unfortunately, they didn't plan for the ramifications of having their star quarterback hear he was on the trading block for a backup from New England. If the Broncos trade Cutler now, we're looking at a losing season, possibly several, and it's going to cost a ton of money to get back to the same point we're at right now.

McDaniels gambled on the three team Cassel trade and lost horribly. Now he needs to suck it up and do what he needs to do to make this right. He's a rookie head coach, he doesn't have the clout of a Parcels or Cowher to come in and demand people fall in line. Yeah, he's "won" three super bowl rings, but those are Brady and Belicheck rings. As a head coach, the only thing he's done is piss off a pro bowl quarterback who is known to be volatile.

As for Cutler, he's a 26-year-old 3rd year. He's not a veteran, he doesn't have half a dozen or more seasons of team leadership experience at the pro level, and he has a fiery personality. But you know what, real Broncos fans would take a gunslinger with a strong arm over someone who is going to "manage the game." John Elway was a hot head in his early career too. Dan Reeves and Elway butted heads constantly because Elway wasn't falling in line. Reeves brought in Jeff Lewis to replace Elway, and what happened? Reeves got shipped off to New York and Lewis was sent to Carolina. If we wanted someone to "manage the game" we could have just kept Brian 'Mediocre' Griese to sit back there and do what he's told. Cutler is cut from the same cloth as Favre and Elway, and I, for one, would much rather have a hot head with a cannon for an arm capable of making spectacular plays than some rookie head coach whose greatest claim to fame is showing up to watch Tom Brady play his way to Canton.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos1997 View Post
    yeah except cutler isn't struggling to win superbowls right now, hes struggling to get a winning record.
    This is some serious revisionist history. Elway had a lot of losing seasons, trust me, I remember pulling out my hair watching the Broncos go 6-10 or worse for several years after the 89 super bowl debacle where the 49ers blew us off the face of the planet. Even when the team got better and Elway wasn't trying to do it all, it took several seasons before we could get past the playoffs. Cutler has done really well considering we went through 7 running backs last season and had the 29th ranked defense (considering Detroit didn't win a game, I think they should be left off the list which would mean we were 29/31).

If Chris Simms starts on opening day, prepare to lose a whole lot more than 8 games. He's a concussion magnet, and every one of those you get just makes getting the next one that much easier. Even if he starts, I'd give Vegas style odds that he won't finish the season due to injury. He was brought in to be a backup, plain and simple.

Leftwich would be a good call for a short term starter, a whole lot better than Jeff Garcia, but even then we keep bumping into the cap room issue. Leftwich will be cheap, but not free, and that would mean we'd have to draft high to get someone for the future, which would necessitate a trade to move up in the draft, and then the cash to sign a first round draft pick. I'm not going to bother speculating on which one (although I think Sanchez), because plain and simple, it just isn't in the budget.

8-8 next season? That is so optimistic it makes me smile.

We have $15-16 million dollars left under the Salary Cap.

If you listened to Pat Bowlen today , he basically said he doesn't want a player who doesn't want to be there!!!!!

Bye Bye Cutler

The real answer:

Cutler's approximate value, when described in draft picks, is approximately a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd round pick. This is based off of what Jeff George commanded as a similar type player (albeit he didn't pan out too well, but at the time he was expected to have the same talent and potential as Cutler, and was in the same stage in his career. How he turned out later has zero bearing on the discussion at hand.). Obviously there is some wiggle room here, but unlike drafting a rookie, teams know what they are going to get.

My proposal is a trade with the Cleveland Browns. In exchange for Cutler, the Broncos get the Browns first-round pick (No. 5 overall), QB Brady Quinn (in place of the second-round pick), and the Browns fourth-rounder (since the first round pick is such a high choice at number 5, a fourth-rounder is substituted for the third-rounder).

The Broncos now have the 5th and 12 picks in the first round and a new starting quarterback, Brady Quinn. I happen to be in the Quinn camp, thinking that he has great potential to be a quarterback that can manage games, make the throws, and protect the ball (especially in the red zone). I believe he has the potential to thrive in the new system, and more importantly, behind the outstanding pass protection of Clady and company.

The Browns have their new franchise QB, letting go of a player that was on their bench, and still retain an extremely high picks in the second and third rounds. This is a trade that benefits both teams.

Now, the draft choices:

With the 5th overall selection, the Broncos are in prime territory to select Boston College Nose Tackle B.J. Raji without fear of someone trading ahead of them to take him. This solidifies the middle of the defensive line for years to come in the new 3-4 scheme.

With the 12th overall selection, the Broncos land their intimidator. Every good defense has one. The Broncos haven't had one since Bill Romanowski bolted to the Raiders, and nobody has been afraid of the Denver Defense since (and no, Al Wilson was definitely a great middle linebacker, but he certainly wasn't an intimidator). Think Ray Lewis. Think Mike Singletary. Think Brian Urlacher. Think Rey Maualuga.

The critics will say that Maualuga's stock is falling, etc etc, and that taking him at 12 is too much of a reach. Make no mistake, he plays with a nastiness that can be found nowhere else in the draft. In my opinion, with the bust rate as high as it is in the first round, or anywhere else in the draft for that matter, in the end it doesn't matter if a player was picked 10 spots higher than predicted. A player is a player. I called Marshall. I called Hixon. I called Patrick Willis. I called Vince Wilfork. Now I am calling Maualuga.

The more I think about this deal the more I think that Denver should do it. Cutler is a great player, but the more we learn about this situation, the more it seems like he and his agent want out of Denver no matter what.

So be it. I would rather have Quinn, Raji and Maualuga anyways.
    I bleed orange and blue!!!

Rest in peace, Darrent.

I adopted Domenik Hixon!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncofansd View Post
    We have $15-16 million dollars left under the Salary Cap.

If you listened to Pat Bowlen today , he basically said he doesn't want a player who doesn't want to be there!!!!!

Bye Bye Cutler

The guaranteed money alone would eat up the entire remaining space in the salary cap for a top draft pick, so you can just get rid of Detroit as a trade option since their 1st pick this year is going to cost a ton.

Bowlen also said he wants Cutler to stay, so maybe you should listen to Pat. Cutler requested a trade, code for "give me more money please" he didn't demand a trade, which isn't code for anything other than "give me a trade or I'll hold out." He hasn't threatened to skip mandatory team functions or hold out, and neither Pat Bowlen nor Josh "Foot-in-Mouth" McDaniels have said they want Cutler gone.

There is no good reason to trade Cutler at all. If you keep him, he will play for you, and play hard. Cutler is not going to get fined every day for the next 3 years until his contract expires, nor is he going to tank games or play half ass for his own sake..

Quote Originally Posted by Den615 View Post
    thank god you do not work for the broncos then. As a QB Freeman is miles ahead of all those guys and has a much higher ceiling
    Take it from a Texas fan, the only thing Freeman is miles ahead of is a starting job in the NFL.

He cant even read defenses, for crying out loud!

Hooray, beer!

I would love that trade if we could get either Stafford or Sanchez!

I hope we do get Stafford, I really do. And then I hope he starts.

I'll get tons of warm feelings in my tummy handing out "I told you so's" when Stafford throws 20+ INT's and Jay goes and wins a ring.

But most likely, when we do (and it will never happen) he's gonna get tons of cash to ride the bench just like Pineart

Hooray, beer!

How many games did the Donx blow last year that you had already inked-in as wins?

Jacksonvile, Oakland, KC, Miami, or Buffalo ring a bell?

You're giving them way too much credit.

I think your point is that trading Cutler for a #1 pick (among other considerations) would give us two high draft picks this season, plus the top-5 pick we're sure to "earn" in the 2010 draft.

IF the picks pan out, they could make for a very solid foundation for the future.

Stop Cutler Trade Talk

Jay Cutler is not going to be traded, at least not now.

The only chance of this actually happening is on or near draft day, when the Broncos can asses where the other QB's are going to go.

But he is not going to Cleveland for Quinn, and you don't firesell franchise QB's.

Peter King reported the other day from another GM in the league that the Broncos are not even taking trade inquiries for Jay Cutler, so let's stop all the speculation.

If you want to revisit it near draft day, fine, but otherwise you are wasting your time and bandwidth with useless threads on the subject.

They might not be taking offers, but at least 4 teams called and let em know there is interest for when they do.

I think missing in this entire debaucle, and I'm not sure why it hasn't been at the forefront, is Josh McDaniels ability as a QB guru.

He took an undrafted QB that never started in his life and formed him into a Pro Bowl calibur guy.

We might not need a QB in return, we might not even need a high draft pick. If McDaniels is as good as advertised, then all he needs is a slab of marble to shape, it doesn't have to be pretty or a high grade. Maybe Chris Simms is that slab, maybe a 4th Round pick like Stephen McGee or Rhett Bomar is that slab.

I mean, in my mind, if you have a guy that has made his reputation on offense and QB development, why spend big dollars on a prospect? Lets just grab a guy with talent, and let McD do his thing. Realistically, we are going to take at least 2 years to get all the schemes and players in place, so this is the perfect season to have a rebuilding year at QB.

yeah that's a sound idea: keep a disgruntled QB around, that will only add to overall team chemistry. Jesus Mary Joseph get over him, people, put yr. man-boners away. He requested a trade long before the McD debacle, right after Shanny and Bates were terminated.

and for all of you that keep putting "franchise" in front of QB re JC, I'd add another word: potential franchise QB. He has proven nothing to me (or many friends I watch games with) over the last 3 years, except that his red-zone play is suspect and cringe-worthy, and his ego is out of control. Correct those factors, and maybe then the word "franchise" might fit...:go:

I completely agree. I think people tend to come up with "mock trades" in an attempt to use it as a coping mechanism. I think most would agree that, unless McDaniels and Cutler can somehow come together one-on-one, that Cutler will probably be traded.

None of us really could have foreseen the mere possibility of Cutler being mentioned in trade talks. We thought we finally found the guy who would lead us to the promised land again as long as we got a D that belonged on the field. But, things change, people don't mesh with certain people, so we are now in a battle between two men who think they are right and the other is wrong (I'm on McDaniels' side, I still believe he is what this team needs, and if this isn't a wake-up call to all the players on the team, I don't know what is). I will continue to remain hopeful for the situation, it's all we can do, but I agree, I wish we could just make a singular thread for everyone (Broncosfansd) to abuse with their multiple trades and mock drafts.